SRP: What you like/dislike, Want/Do not want PROPER DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by Tom, 07-11-2012

PingPong

Quote from: Rebel6609 on 11-11-2012
Quote from: INA7HAN on 11-11-2012
Quote from: PingPong on 10-11-2012

-The zone is based around gear and making money, you can't change that nor should you want too. Even though some people gear whore, they earned it by grinding for it or donating. You can do the same.
Sounds like pay to win on some f2p mmo?

Yes, I agree with you that more than half the reason stalkers came to the zone was to make money and acquire gear, but you need to remember that's within RP standards. This is a roleplay server nevertheless, and you shouldn't be more concerned with rushing to that LR300 before even doing an ounce of roleplay. Not to mention people are so gear hungry it leads to no one ever wanting to lose / die for they fear loss of equipment. And even when they do die, they get pissy because they lose their gun.

Basically saying, Gear whoring is not acceptable no matter what way you put it.

I agree, it does cap and lower the quality of the roleplay experience when you have people not wanting to take any risks of losing their gear, thats because the grind on a new character to equip him takes so fucking long, that too lose it in a instance like that is rather aggrivating but also demoralizing. Yes you can argue that the zone is unforgiving etc, but 2 weeks to find enough rubles to get a gun and to lose it in an isntance of a couple minutes seriously fuckin sucks. Too try fixing it refer to my previous post about the jobs and better chance to find gear with an increased amount of risk and fear of mutants, bandits etc.
"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is just a statistic." -Joseph Stalin

Steven :D

Quote from: PistolKid on 11-11-2012
Oh and yeah. Regarding the AK's.. The AKM is quite literally a pile of dog shit. No matter which way you use it, you're pretty much going to suck with it. It's meant to be an upgraded variant of the AK, atleast make it seem like that. Its accuracy is poor as hell, the damage is less than acceptable and Its overall quality of a gun is less than the AKU. Don't tell me its good the way it is, because its not. Duty got its ass handed to it on so many occasions with those rifles, and even my own faction suffered with those POS's.

I suppose I should do some more SWEP work in the future eh? I'll talk to Exile about it.
Make more, we should have a larger selection of weapons so everybody isn't toting around the same guns (that all suck)

Knife_cz

Quote from: Steven :D on 11-11-2012
Oh and yeah. Regarding the AK's.. The AKM is quite literally a pile of dog shit. No matter which way you use it, you're pretty much going to suck with it. It's meant to be an upgraded variant of the AK, atleast make it seem like that. Its accuracy is poor as hell, the damage is less than acceptable and Its overall quality of a gun is less than the AKU. Don't tell me its good the way it is, because its not. Duty got its ass handed to it on so many occasions with those rifles, and even my own faction suffered with those POS's.

I suppose I should do some more SWEP work in the future eh? I'll talk to Exile about it.
Make more, we should have a larger selection of weapons so everybody isn't toting around the same guns (that all suck)
Oh god just don't add Hologram M4A3's, and such tacticool weapons. I never liked that on other srps

INA7HAN

Quote from: knife_cz on 11-11-2012

Oh god just don't add Hologram M4A3's, and such tacticool weapons. I never liked that on other srps
You mean what TnB have done? Tactical M4A3 with Masterkey under barrel shotgun and ACOG Combat scope

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Lucky Pig

Well something like AK-74 with a Kobra sight for the military would be OK to me. Just not accessible to regular STALKERs unless they manage to kill a soldier wielding it.

StickyWicket

I'm going to be sharing what I think are the best solutions to some of these current problems. If you don't understand something about these or want to criticize on them than PLEASE post about it! I would love to see my words get noticed, as well as some input on them!

1) Unbalanced mutants: I think the main reason why bloodsuckers were such a problem in SRP is that SilverKnight thought it would be nice to put one of the Zone's most powerful and feared warriors at the bottom of the donation list. Not only that, but you had to pay upwards of a HUNDRED BUCKS just to get a weaker class of mutant, and another fifty to get one that was still less powerful than the mighty bloodsucker (Snork). SilverKnight has told me before that he wants to put the "more interesting" mutants at the top, rather the ones that possess the most power. The way I think it should work is that zombies and snorks can enhance the overall atmosphere of the server by fighting against STALKERs day-to-day, while controllers, bloodsuckers and poltergeists can act as a way to enable fear RP throughout the Zone. This is only possible if there are a large number of people with access to snorks and zombies, and a small number of people with access to bloodsuckers and such. Simply put the zombies and snorks at the bottom of the donator benefits and the bloodsuckers near the top and this problem will naturally sort itself out. But, in the end it all depends on SilverKnight to make the donations more balanced and beneficial for the server. So, all I can do is hope to see a change for the better.

3) Broken economy: I think the current problem with SRP's economy is that safeboxes are too big and traders are too soft. First off, I don't think you should be able to hold an arsenal of fifteen guns, three suits, and 2 of every medical item in your safebox at one time. The only thing people do with the shit inside their safebox is hoard it till they die and actually need some new items. Now, let's say the safebox could only hold four guns, a suit, and some medical items. Well, this changes things. This means that stalkers will be getting a surplus of guns through out their travels. They can either A) give them to those who need them, or B) sell them to traders. But, here comes another problem. When a trader removes a gun from the economy (cashing it in after buying it) he doesn't remove it's impact on the economy. The money he makes off of cashing in that item goes into his pocket. What is a trader supposed to do with all that money he earns from trading. Spread the wealth! Give out jobs with huge payments, right?! Well, jobs are all fine and dandy, but if you just give out the money you earn from trading to stalkers, you aren't really removing anything from the economy, are you?
     I think traders should be encouraged to become as rich as possible. Encouraged to never stop growing, bigger and bigger. To keep the money, while still giving out jobs. But not giving out so much to the point where you're not growing. If this policy were to be a rule for traders, they could simply act as inflation sponges for SRP's economy. Either we make it so there's a maximum of how much a trader can give to the economy, or find some sort of goal for traders that encourages them to grow larger. Maybe some weapon and armor tiers that are only available based on how much money a trader has?)
     Finally, when it comes down to paychecks, I don't think there is anything wrong with them. You get payed to stay active on the server, which is always great. Even if you are just walking around or AFK, SRP's player count on the server browser is absolutely the GREATEST first impression you can give to someone who is curious about joining.

That's all I could think of for now, and I like what all of you have had to say on these subjects so far.

Khorn

Problem with that Sticky, is that you have to rely on people to not make being greedy and active.

At first, people may play along, but everyone eventually has other things to do that kills activity. As for greedy, most people are greedy to point where they won't make too high of rewards for missions. Even if they do, making a job as a trader or admin isn't easy.

Way too often the job is a simple kill things or find items. Anything more usually can get fucked sidewyas by a single player or fall apart when people think of other ways to do a job.

Relying on jobs and events to regulate the economy won't work. Events and jobs aren't easy to pull out of your ass before people know what to do everytime you announce something.

It get rather hard to make the more interesting missions for people

No, but adding more lower-tier weapons instead of having straight assault rifles would be nice. Things like mosin's and other carbines would work, along with more shotguns.

Gonztah

No, but adding more lower-tier weapons instead of having straight assault rifles would be nice. Things like mosin's and other carbines would work, along with more shotguns.
We've got Mosins already, they're expensive as fuck though. But yeah things like more SMGs and shotguns would be nice, cheap stuff you know.

INA7HAN

M16A1 (Vietnam m16)
Various revolvers (Cheap revolvers I mean not .44 magnums)
Pump action shotguns, double barrel (Cheap)
Bolt action hunting sniper (Cheap, bolt action low magazine size)
.22 rifles and pistols (Cheap, low damage very cheap ammo)
Some ww2 guns like PPSH? Mp40? Kar98K?
Just some gun ideas of mine

Khorn

Let's not focus on adding more guns, as that won't solve much if people can't afford them.

Quote from: Khorn on 11-11-2012
Let's not focus on adding more guns, as that won't solve much if people can't afford them.
So your saying adding some cheaper, lower-tier weapons that are meant to be affordable will bankrupt people.

Tom

Quote from: Khorn on 11-11-2012
So your saying adding some cheaper, lower-tier weapons that are meant to be affordable will bankrupt people.

It won't bankrupt people but it doesn't solve much.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Khorn

I'm saying, more guns, low,, medium, or high tier won't solve anything.

Plunger

Clearly adding more guns will improve the quality of RP, right guys? Right..?

Tom

Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Lent23

Were we not just speaking of the less of a focus we should have on gear? Why are we talking about adding more guns now?
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

StickyWicket

I guess adding more guns deserves more attention than anything I've previously posted.

INA7HAN

Ok on this more guns issue which everyone keeps saying it's bad etc, it's not bad at all and if anything adds more immersion/ atmosphere. If the stalker games or our roleplay just had one pistol and an AKM it would be boring because we're seeing everyone with the same weapons meaning there is no diversity (divercity) from player to player. I know we don't have two guns but we always see the same weapons due to money problems (AKM, AKU mainly)
Added more weapons means most people will look different and they will have a more symbolic or personal weapon such as we see players etc have in games (Skyrims Steel Sword Iron helmet etc from the front cover or Fallout New vegas's revolver)
Maybe someone wants their character defining weapon as a Engraved 1911, so they buy the weapon and always have enough money for a spare if they lose it.
Another layer could use a sawn off or a Chaser 13 because their character likes the spread of shotguns over Assualt rifles.

Lent23

The reason why there's so many AKMs in the Zone is because they're distributed and used mainly in the countries surrounding said Zone. It's no wonder the AK series of weapons is so popularly used, because it makes sense for a lot of them to be around the area in the first place. There should be a bigger use of AK-series guns compared to other guns for this reason.

Personally, I think safeboxes should not exist, but everybody should be able to create a permanent stash with a command that allows them to stash X amount of materials that everybody - not only them - may access. This means player-made stashes will have to be created and can be raided at any time, but you have to find them first. You can also share a stash with your friends, similar to how Strelok had his stash and his friends likely knew where they could find it.

The only sort of "Safebox" should be containers (Similar to containers used in Half Life Roleplay) that can be locked that contains all of a faction's goods in it. This way, anybody who's allowed access can get certain things, like a Faction Quartermaster keeping tallies on exactly how many weapons the faction has, and getting permission to get more from the faction leader.

Traders make a profit on selling weapons to Stalkers, and giving Stalkers jobs. People should come to a trader, and the trader should in turn give a job to a Stalker, but it should be something that the trader can make a profit from. They are Stalkers too, just stalkers that prefer to stay inside of bars and make their profits from buying and selling artifacts, weapons, and armor, rather than finding artifacts using bought armor or stolen weapons. It's not a trader's job to stimulate the economy, the Stalker economy is a by product of what traders do. Traders should not be required to give their money over to people just because, they should make some sort of profit doing things at all times, because that's what motivates all Stalkers; Money.

Stickywicket's post of mutants being unbalanced is something that I've talked a lot about in the past, though Silverknight refuses to ever change it, because people are more likely to donate if they can get something powerful quickly (for $20). After that, they don't have to donate anymore, because things are less powerful, and they already have the bloodsucker. This will never change, which is a very sad fact of HGN; Donations above all. SRP is essentially a "pay to win" roleplay, because you can start out with the highest tier of equipment if you give him $100. This is coming from somebody who's donated $150 to three different HGN servers. Personally, nothing would really affect me if the order of mutants was changed, though I would really like to see a change happen and see Zombies and Snorks become more common than Bloodsuckers.

Quality of roleplay is directly related to how much people care about said roleplay. If people are coming back on only to get power in the form of administration positions or faction positions, nothing is going to change. The server will die just as it has in the past. People will not be interested in joining the server knowing that Freedom or Duty has accomplished their goal, crushed the other faction, and every Stalker prefers one faction over the other. (Sound familiar, guys?) If people come on and want to develop their characters in their own ways, I say let them, personally. If a Stalker's goal in the Zone is to get to the center, what does he need to get there? Equipment - Armor and a good gun to protect himself - and maybe a guide. If his goal is to find artifacts, what does he need to get him there? Equipment; a Detector, and some awareness, knowledge on how to avoid dying.

I don't know if I mentioned this fact before, but Stalkers should be the main focus of SRP. Factions are there to supplement Stalker roleplay while the members are still able to be able to get their character development in. Neutral stalkers are the main demographic of Stalker Roleplay. Every main character in Stalker has been a neutral Stalker. People who join the server that are new are going to be neutral Stalkers. We should create an atmosphere where they should want to stay, they should want to develop their characters and get experience in the Zone. We don't need to try to force anything upon the players above a basic rule set. If there is a law that you can't punch somebody in the head, does that mean if you take away the law, everybody is going to punch everybody else in the head? If there's a rule that you can't wear a "special suit", is everybody going to wear a special suit if you take that rule away? Probably not. Not everybody can possibly get that rich. There's a natural, unspoken balance that happens in SRP that you simply have to watch and not restrict.

In short; Welcome to the Zone: You are an illegal. You have bypassed the Military, and you are most likely perusing riches. To achieve your goal, you need to use a weapon to protect yourself. There are bandits, mutants, anomalies, and factions fighting it out. Choose your destiny, Stalker. Will you be riddled with bullets by a Military Soldier, robbed and stabbed to death by a bandit, ripped apart by a Bloodsucker, mind-controlled by a Controller, or enter the Duty-Freedom faction war? It's your choice, now get out there and survive as long as you can.
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."

Knife_cz

Quote from: Lent23 on 13-11-2012
Personally, I think safeboxes should not exist, but everybody should be able to create a permanent stash with a command that allows them to stash X amount of materials that everybody - not only them - may access. This means player-made stashes will have to be created and can be raided at any time, but you have to find them first. You can also share a stash with your friends, similar to how Strelok had his stash and his friends likely knew where they could find it.
Imagine these stashes on chernobyl for example, that's just impossible.
Not to mention that you can no longer spawn your own container ; an admin has to spawn one.
Also after each crash the prop re-gains it original texture/color. Many stashes which I done in past were mostly near the trees, and they also had 'wood' material, so they wouldn't be so god damn obvious. After crash it just got its own color back, and everyone found it.

Safeboxes should stay.

Lent23

Quote from: knife_cz on 13-11-2012
Quote from: Lent23 on 13-11-2012
Imagine these stashes on chernobyl for example, that's just impossible.
Not to mention that you can no longer spawn your own container ; an admin has to spawn one.
Also after each crash the prop re-gains it original texture/color. Many stashes which I done in past were mostly near the trees, and they also had 'wood' material, so they wouldn't be so god damn obvious. After crash it just got its own color back, and everyone found it.

Safeboxes should stay.
I'm also implying that after the Gmod 13 script for Stalker RP comes out, these problems could be addressed and worked through.

Tom

Why are we trying to justify hoarding cash? I understand that traders ICly would want to make money but what I don't understand is why that IC desire for money should justify someone being greedy OOCly.
Oh boy.

nKe

Quote from: Tom on 13-11-2012
Why are we trying to justify hoarding cash? I understand that traders ICly would want to make money but what I don't understand is why that IC desire for money should justify someone being greedy OOCly.
Because it actually takes effort to RP chr that is not like the player in real life.
inb4 response contains stuff about animals and killing people

Knife_cz

Quote from: Nik3 on 13-11-2012
Quote from: Tom on 13-11-2012
Because it actually takes effort to RP chr that is not like the player in real life.
inb4 response contains stuff about animals and killing people
I don't really understand your post to be honest.
But isn't roleplaying about /roleplaying/ a character? And not yourself?

And why are we even discussing weapons? Its the Zone, stuff from Ukranian military forces which died in Zone get to stalker's hands, or stalkers bring something from their home.
I don't see why srp should get new weapons.