Starbound RP: Discuss

Started by Steven :D, 20-01-2013

INA7HAN

Ragolution, your give a good arguement, though I'd just like to say I wasn't going for a starship troopers vibe, more of a pioneering sort of vibe. I like your ideas, though they could be completely destroyed due to one thing, playerbase, if it's small the more than one faction may not work, I'm not saying one faction on it's own would work either. Perhaps have two factions but the other faction is smaller and could be some kind of criminal/space pirate sort of organisation? Anyway I liked your ideas Ragolution though I don't really understand (Possibly I'm just stupid?) what you're going for? Space romans?

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

the_grub

Nathan we don't know how large our player base for Starbound is yet because it isn't even out, this is just a brainstorming of ideas here. I like Rags idea because, to me, it offers more chances to extend RP situations. rather than exploring each planet and having one crew, multiple factions could explore a planet at the same time and maybe even fight over it for resources or for no other reason than that they don't like the opposing force. To me that  sounds pretty interesting.
r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

INA7HAN

Quote from: the_grub on 01-03-2013
Nathan we don't know how large our player base for Starbound is yet because it isn't even out, this is just a brainstorming of ideas here. I like Rags idea because, to me, it offers more chances to extend RP situations. rather than exploring each planet and having one crew, multiple factions could explore a planet at the same time and maybe even fight over it for resources or for no other reason than that they don't like the opposing force. To me that  sounds pretty interesting.
The only problem with fighting, is either it will be by emotes or by PVP/combat, emotes are slow and can make no sense if the player is new or they player can godemote everything. PVP would mean who ever has the better gear wins so then you'll have everyone going around with jetpacks and machines guns etc and super armour leading it to feeling like a MMO than roleplay.

Why one faction could be a good idea as gear isn't as much a problem when you're fighting mobs/NPCs only though there is still the problem of people gearing in the highest tier they can get.

Ragolution

Quote from: INA7HAN on 01-03-2013
Ragolution, your give a good arguement(sic)

I always give a good argument when I put my mind to it.

The thing about two (or more) factions is that they both have to be:

A) Appealing
B) Different (in Culture or Flavor)
C) Equal (in Power)

Or else you just get a situation where the strong/more appealing one decimates the weak/unpopular one.

Faction 1 is Robot Space Rome

Faction 2 is whatever we decide to do. I liked the idea of Holy Roman Empire or Space Khanate/Sultanate/Caliphate.

Ragolution

Quote from: INA7HAN on 01-03-2013
Quote from: the_grub on 01-03-2013
The only problem with fighting, is either it will be by emotes or by PVP/combat, emotes are slow and can make no sense if the player is new or they player can godemote everything. PVP would mean who ever has the better gear wins so then you'll have everyone going around with jetpacks and machines guns etc and super armour leading it to feeling like a MMO than roleplay.

Why one faction could be a good idea as gear isn't as much a problem when you're fighting mobs/NPCs only though there is still the problem of people gearing in the highest tier they can get.

My policy on ingame combat is "Whatever both parties agree to" and when I did WoW RP, players preferred to do it via emote.

bastidon

Digging what Port said. Nate, we need two factions, I mean...it's a new frontier, It only makes sense that if we are discovering more races with their own hierarchies. I mean the universe isn't just sitting around, waiting for our ship to dock. Planet's have governments and it's a miracle if the can all be united under one banner. Even if we have a small player base, having two factions is a good idea.
Loving civilization with the Romans and the Astral Duchy. And Space Mongols, loving that a lot. Until war breaks out, events could be based on Space Mongol raids and attacks. Perhaps a primitive people being supplied by some outside, unknown force. The whole unknown force could play off interestingly. Place holder. But yeah, support for Port.
In the meantime...super good idea below.
[spoiler]SHIRTLESS SULU![/spoiler]
I'm not an asshole, I just play one on TV.

Put me in coach I'm ready.

Ragolution

INA7HAN

When you speak of perhaps one of the factions/groups being not very advanced, you remind me of the Americians against the Native Americians.

Maxi96203

Quote from: INA7HAN on 02-03-2013
When you speak of perhaps one of the factions/groups being not very advanced, you remind me of the Americians against the Native Americians.

brits vs. zulus
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

jaik

Quote from: INA7HAN on 02-03-2013

with that comparison youre implying there wouldnt be anything but genocide going on
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Ragolution

No one knows their history apparently since the Mongols annihilated the Romans?

bastidon

Quote from: Ragolution on 02-03-2013
Well no duh. They nearly conquered the whole world. And they would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that pesky Ming Dynasty 
"Alright old man Genghis, time to go to jail."
"Way to go gang! Now like, time for some sandwiches, zoinks I'm hungry."

Syndraell

Quote from: bastidon on 02-03-2013
Well no duh. They nearly conquered the whole world. And they would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that pesky Ming Dynasty 

Fun fact
Genghis Khan died from a nosebleed while sleeping.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

CPftw

Quote from: James Almasy on 02-03-2013
Wrong, they don't know how he died. There are many different theories. They don't even know which mountain he is buried in.
pffft

Redbark

DE-RAILMENT CONSTRUCTION CREW COMING IN

bastidon

Fun fact

Quote from: CPftw on 02-03-2013
Wrong, they don't know how he died. There are many different theories. They don't even know which mountain he is buried in.

I've always preferred to think he rode away to a magical realm on a unicorn, left a fake body behind, and then finally destroyed the peaceful land, turning into a blood kingdom in which he rules, and lives forever.

And now back on topic. Apparently, starbound might have orbital attacks. And apparently they might be different for each race. Like dropping a ton of spores on a planet for Floran. Thoughts on this? (Keep in mind, might be total bull shit.)

Redbark

Fun fact

Quote from: CPftw on 02-03-2013

I've always preferred to think he rode away to a magical realm on a unicorn, left a fake body behind, and then finally destroyed the peaceful land, turning into a blood kingdom in which he rules, and lives forever.

And now back on topic. Apparently, starbound might have orbital attacks. And apparently they might be different for each race. Like dropping a ton of spores on a planet for Floran. Thoughts on this? (Keep in mind, might be total bull shit.)

We all know this will (possibly) get out of hand.

bastidon

Quote from: Redbark on 02-03-2013

Yeah, we should defo reserve this theoretical stuff for major events. Like...server changing event. If, of course, any of this is possibly true. 

jaik

the Mongols annihilated the Romans?

that analogy is invalid

at least your avatar is fixed

CAMaera

Yeah, we should defo reserve this theoretical stuff for major events. Like...server changing event. If, of course, any of this is possibly true.

Yeah, as fun as epic nukes all the time sound, it should be Event-Only. Or, at the very least, I hope there are warning systems people can make.

Planet-wide Xenocide...doesn't sound like a good power to give everyone.

Ragolution

can- can we talk more about space rome and how it's a good idea?

bastidon

Quote from: Ragolution on 03-03-2013

*has gun to face* I LOVE SPACE ROME! IT'S AWESOME! *reads rest of paper* really? SPACE ROME NUMBER ONE GOOD TIME! KIM JO-I MEAN RAGOLUTION FOR EMPEROR!

Quote from: max0596 on 03-03-2013

Yeah, as fun as epic nukes all the time sound, it should be Event-Only. Or, at the very least, I hope there are warning systems people can make.

I was thinking...and hear me out. We have an allied force as our primary rivals. Composed of Rewired Glitch, Apex (apes), Fish people (blanking on name) and maybe a few stray humans. They're called the Zar. And their leader, this is were it gets complex...is...the Gray Zar. Obviously best idea ever...and I should win an award. A flareon  cookie should suffice.   

Syndraell

Extremely Important Question
Will there be old fashioned roman orgies?

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

CAMaera

Quote from: bastidon on 03-03-2013

*has gun to face* I LOVE SPACE ROME! IT'S AWESOME! *reads rest of paper* really? SPACE ROME NUMBER ONE GOOD TIME! KIM JO-I MEAN RAGOLUTION FOR EMPEROR!

I was thinking...and hear me out. We have an allied force as our primary rivals. Composed of Rewired Glitch, Apex (apes), Fish people (blanking on name) and maybe a few stray humans. They're called the Zar. And their leader, this is were it gets complex...is...the Gray Zar. Obviously best idea ever...and I should win an award. A flareon  cookie should suffice.
Oh my god lol bastion. XDD honestly, Space Rome sounds silly. And an excuse to have one singular leader who owns all of what "Space Rome" would own. Basically, it couldn't end well. Ever.

Flareon cookies are mine and mine alone. How dare you try to touch my personal delicacy. Gray Zar is hilarious, though. I dunno, I really want to make a Floran tribe, just on a planet alone and isolated. You know, primitive and stuff. It would be governed by a group of Elders or something...I think it could be a lot of fun.

Quote from: James Almasy on 03-03-2013
Extremely Important Question
Will there be old fashioned roman orgies?

If there were, Abby would always be in them. 24/7. Without a doubt. Another reason for no Space Rome.

jaik

Oh my god lol bastion. XDD honestly, Space Rome sounds silly. And an excuse to have one singular leader who owns all of what "Space Rome" would own. Basically, it couldn't end well. Ever.

autocracy is more efficient than anything else when presented with a sincerely dedicated leader. besides anything related to rome would be anything but democratical.