Starbound RP: Discuss

Started by Steven :D, 20-01-2013

INA7HAN

As we all know Caphori doesn't have a large playerbase. Now it's unclear as to whether Starbound will bring in lots of people or we'll still have a small playerbase. Anyway back to the point, so I was thinking with Starbound being space orientated and such we could have our playerbase RP as the crew of this ship, the ship could be quite big, yet have a small/big crew depending on how many people we have.

In Aliens the Sulaco as we know was a pretty big ship yet it only held a small crew in the film two marine squads and some others. Now in Aliens Colonial Marines the Sephora? held 300+
So we can have a quite big ship to allow more players to join without having to rework the entire ship/space station.

So what would this crew be doing? Thinking back to the forming of America and the Pioneers that explored the new lands which were always dangerous, now we could do this on Starbound.
The crew has been tasked for what ever reason to Pioneer a planet/star system/ galaxy and perhaps settle there or relay information back to Earth.

Reasons for the exploration and pioneers? Well Earth could well be in the future a dead planet which is uninhabitable so the human race would need a new place to live, possibly in anticipation of this the pioneers were sent. Other reasons/ideas as to why they're exploring can be made.

Now back to the crew what would this crew be? Who would be on board?

First off the pioneering ship would need a captain/leader or would command them and lead them

Head of Security/military force aboard the ship to lead the marines or soldiers aboard, and would answer to the Captain/leader

Engineers, repairs and makes things obviously, they'll be very important as there won't be a spaceport to dock with for repairs.

Medical staff/doctors, you're going into a new galaxy who know what you'll find so medical staff are must need to help people who are injuried from anything from building to fighting

Marines/soldiers, so this galaxy could have anything in so a military force will be needed when negotiations fail, to protect the crew and keep the peace on the ship.

Security, having armoured marines/soldiers with machine guns and other weapons doing simply security would be un needed and frightening to the crew. Also if the marines are called for what ever reason or a planet needs surveying then the security force will be able to stay back aboard the ship and protect it while the marines/soldiers are gone.

Scientists, there are going to be lots of things we won't understand so we're going to need people who can work things out and learn about these new things that's where scientists come in.

Cooks, now where are you going to get your hot meal from after working? The cook of course he'll be making you that nice roast dinner you love on sundays.

Pilots, going to need to get to planets someway aren't you? Also someone will have to pilot that big ship you're all on, or perhaps pilot small fighters should something or someone attacks you in space.

Communications officer/crewman, you're going to need to keep in contact with Earth and/or ground forces and others around the ship so that's where these guys come in.

Crewman, you're going to need people operating various systems on board the ship suchs as radar, weapons, shields so on so these people will do that. (Most likely will be most populated role)

If you can think of any more please do tell as these are ideas :)

Now not everyone can be "SUpor leet Mahrines wid spaace lazer blaster gun" so jobs are going to have to be application, so when people send in their application to get the server password they specify what job they want and why they want it and then their backstory as to how and why they're doing that job ICly.

Now I think people will like roleplaying other roles to just marines and others in the crew will go on these away missions to planets.

Now everyone likes combat really? So if you're not a marine does this mean you can't defend yourself? Of course not, everyone which goes on the away mission will most likely be armed, marines will get all the shotgun/machine gun and the other big/advanced weaponry while non-marines would probably get a pistol/sidearm to protect themselves with.

Now with lots of planets out there these recon operations/missions would probably happen a lot giving lots of opertunity to Roleplay and keep things interesting while on board when no missions are going on there is plenty to do from relaxing to ship based work. Engineers will be doing maintenace and repairing/building while scientists could be working on a project and Doctors could be seeing to wounded.

Let me know what you think of this I'm just brain storming ideas and roles that could be in Starbound :)

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

INA7HAN

(Posting second time because modifing last message isn't working also this will split text up)

So ship names would be good to brain storm so if anyone has any ideas post them

Here are some of my ideas

UFS (United Federation Starship) Star Searcher

UFS Landra

UFS Klendra

UFS Salvation

UFS Saviour

UFS Hope

UFS Olympus

UFS Pegasus

Maxi96203

UFS Starward Gaze
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Redbark

the_grub

r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

CoolFeerman

snip

INA7HAN

Hmm if you're trolling please leave to the GVC if you're seriously suggesting those as names then you're a fucking retard and should probably feel bad

Knife_cz

the_grub

What about a Galactic Confederacy?

lumberjackingHAM

GCS(galactic conferacy ship) The Robert E Lee
Terraria Name: Davos and Viscera

Kokkaku Kishu

UFS G.V.C. (jk unless it wins)

in seriousness what about something like UFS Ares, or UFS Pandora's Box?

Syndraell

I've had a few good ideas for the server, I've been meaning to PM Exile about it.
But to be honest, I'd rather wait until we can see what we could do with Starbound before rushing into it.

Pretty much, we need to test a "Starbound Server" and see what sort of problems pop up/get a general idea of what we're working with.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Steven :D

If we're going to decide on a name I'd much rather have either me or almasy finalize it (aceon, caphori, ???)

Syndraell

I've suggested
Endless Continuum
as a server name.

I'd love to hear some other people's ideas.

Redbark

Quote from: James Almasy on 23-02-2013
I've suggested
Endless Continuum
as a server name.

I'd love to hear some other people's ideas.
Official.
Love it.
Like it.
Want it.

Noidness

All of my yes. The game looks quite versatile, and they're planning to add stuff such as directors, which would allow for easy quest creation by players. All that modding compatability they're talking about sounds good as well, which could favor the server.

Ragolution

Steven :D

Quote from: James Almasy on 23-02-2013
I've had a few good ideas for the server, I've been meaning to PM Exile about it.
But to be honest, I'd rather wait until we can see what we could do with Starbound before rushing into it.

Pretty much, we need to test a "Starbound Server" and see what sort of problems pop up/get a general idea of what we're working with.
stamp of approval, bam done

bastidon

UFS Danger zone,
UFS Top Gun,
UFS Fat Murderer

But for real....

UFS Starlight...or UFS Artemis. Also if we do the huge ship thing...how will the two faction thing play off? A second ship? I liked the scattered ships idea, but I can say that be way more chaotic and make it harder to Roleplay. Maybe small scouting ships or criminal ships could branch off with a certain number of crew members. Like the current faction system, but more than three players. Maybe like five. Perhaps each would also have a role...a vital one. Helmsman, Captain, Gunner, Doctor, and...Sulu (Shirtless preferably). If this idea is terrible...then feel free to shoot it down with harsh words and hatemail :D !
While nothing is confirmed...we may still brain storm mates, even if the feature isn't implemented, because there is still a chance that it will be. I'm not saying we start thinking about unicorn breeding...but, space man. Anything can happen. I mean...It IS the final frontier. 
I'm not an asshole, I just play one on TV.

Put me in coach I'm ready.

INA7HAN

Quote from: bastidon on 27-02-2013
UFS Danger zone,
UFS Top Gun,
UFS Fat Murderer

But for real....

UFS Starlight...or UFS Artemis. Also if we do the huge ship thing...how will the two faction thing play off? A second ship? I liked the scattered ships idea, but I can say that be way more chaotic and make it harder to Roleplay. Maybe small scouting ships or criminal ships could branch off with a certain number of crew members. Like the current faction system, but more than three players. Maybe like five. Perhaps each would also have a role...a vital one. Helmsman, Captain, Gunner, Doctor, and...Sulu (Shirtless preferably). If this idea is terrible...then feel free to shoot it down with harsh words and hatemail :D !
While nothing is confirmed...we may still brain storm mates, even if the feature isn't implemented, because there is still a chance that it will be. I'm not saying we start thinking about unicorn breeding...but, space man. Anything can happen. I mean...It IS the final frontier.
I already suggested vital roles/roles of characters such as captain, security engineer... Also on this "Lets have more than one faction" it's a terrible idea and will fail causing the small player base to be practically split in half. I think we have like what, 10 players 15 at the very top and that's unlikely, splitting those numbers down do you think a 5 people roleplaying a faction vs another faction of five people will make much sense?

Like I've stated before to avoid number issues you could roleplay the small crew of a large ship giving the option of the player base expanding, IC reason for more people appearing? Well if it's a colony/exploration ship people could be in cyrosleep/ cryostasis.

All in all you all need to REALLY think carefully as to this more than one faction idea, do you really think having two underpopulated factions will work?

At the very least you should start with one faction/group as stated above or something and then if the playerbase grows to let's say 20-30 ACTIVE people then a second faction would be a good idea.

I can see if we have two factions at start it's going to go horribly wrong, let's say 4 people are on server yet only one person is part of faction 1 he can't roleplay and the others can due to his faction which sucks and could cause people to just leave.

Syndraell

Quote from: INA7HAN on 28-02-2013
Quote from: bastidon on 27-02-2013
UFS Danger zone,
UFS Top Gun,
UFS Fat Murderer

But for real....

I already suggested vital roles/roles of characters such as captain, security engineer... Also on this "Lets have more than one faction" it's a terrible idea and will fail causing the small player base to be practically split in half. I think we have like what, 10 players 15 at the very top and that's unlikely, splitting those numbers down do you think a 5 people roleplaying a faction vs another faction of five people will make much sense?

Like I've stated before to avoid number issues you could roleplay the small crew of a large ship giving the option of the player base expanding, IC reason for more people appearing? Well if it's a colony/exploration ship people could be in cyrosleep/ cryostasis.

All in all you all need to REALLY think carefully as to this more than one faction idea, do you really think having two underpopulated factions will work?

At the very least you should start with one faction/group as stated above or something and then if the playerbase grows to let's say 20-30 ACTIVE people then a second faction would be a good idea.

I can see if we have two factions at start it's going to go horribly wrong, let's say 4 people are on server yet only one person is part of faction 1 he can't roleplay and the others can due to his faction which sucks and could cause people to just leave.

The two main factions idea was to more or less encourage RP, and give a backstory/lore to the server. Not to mention that planets can and will be fought over. or nuked, destroyed, ect.

But as i've heard so far; Space stations will not be in the beta. I have no idea how the ships will work yet, nor the worlds.
These ideas may support or destroy what has been planned, so don't get your hopes up.

Ragolution

I haven't really had time to post anything like this in a while, so I sat down and opened notepad and here comes some ideas for Starbound.

Forescript - Ina7han I've skimmed your ideas and they're fine, I guess, but not exactly fun or conducive to RP. The whole Starship troopers vibe I'm getting from it isn't exactly my cup of tea so I kind-of seek to disrupt any situation that mimics that. I'm gunna prevent your ideas from happening if I can, and if I can't I guess I'll figure something out...

Back to me having ideas and whatnot.
So after looking at a lot of the released information for starbound, and the fact that players can control planets, starships and etcetera I started coming up with some ideas on how to run a stable RP server. Now RP is fun, but never as fun as when you have an enemy, or a rival. While you can argue that a multi-faction system hasn't worked on Terraria or Aceon, you can't really make the argument that a single-faction system has had any semblance of success either- Both servers have tried both systems and it's made it apparent that what players need are engaging events, or in short, something to do. While INA7HAN's ideas supply a bit of events, they don't really provide a supply or a regular occasion for events, whereas if we're in a sitaution where we have two rivalling factions that are basically on par with eachother, we do.

So, let me actually outline some stuff rather than throw rhetoric at you guys, right?

[spoiler=Idea #1 - Competing Factions]
I went into it at length, but we need two (or more?) factions. The main idea is there's two grand empires.

I've already come up with one, which is directly based on the Roman Empire utilizing the Glitch race as Romans. This civilization would function very much like Rome itself, with elected officials (and after a brief concillitory period) and an elected Emperor. The Empire holds grand land holdings, a great population, most of the technology and science in the galaxy and is the military king, but has some very obvious social dissent and rebellion issues in its outlying spheres.

The Astral Duchy, which is my idea for an opposing faction, would be a socially advanced society with a small-ish population and a medium-sized holding in space. We can work out the other stuff, such as planet names, architecture and so on later, but this is the idea behind the Empire. Socially progressive and growing, but markedly weak. The Duchy would sort of ideologically be compared to The Netherlands or, well, we'll figure it out if not. Placeholder?

The hope is that the two nations start at peace, but it's strenuous at best. Both want a bigger share of the economy and the system, as well as the ability to host a bigger fleet and attract immigrants from the opposing nation without spending the resources required to go to war.

We can work out a war system later, if we want to.

[spoiler=Idea #1b]
I also though, hey, why not make a faction that's like the Holy Roman Empire.
If you guys like that more than the Astral Duchy or the Space Rome idea tell me, because I like that too.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #2 - The Space Station]
You know how we have a space station?
And there's only one of them?
How about we use that as the new player starting area, as well as a United Nations sort of assembly. The two powers are both mighty and would not want to risk their wealth in an attack, and both are quite (hopefully) civilized.

So the United Space-tions would be hosted here and that's the biggest thing, because we're civilized nations, and we have our ruling councils, so why can't we confer like non-barbaric peoples?

[spoiler=Idea #2b]Should we have a barbarian horde, like Space Mongols or something?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #3 - Social Strife]

The purpose of the Roman Empire thing is that the Glitch would be "First Class Citizens" and everyone else would be a dirty immigrant commoner who holds limited rights, no land, and is sometimes viewed as 'lesser' by the Glitch Overlords.

The Stellar Roman Empire is weak because of that, in some ways.

Still, social strife will engage politics and so on. I could expand on this more but I'm sure we all know at least a little bit about Rome. In this case, space rome.

[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Server Name Suggestion - Endymion

Fauxnal

Portkins brings a good idea to the table. I have been playing on Aceon for about two years, and it has suffered a lot of roleplaying problems. Rp usely happens when player are given a base to follow like Portkins has set up.  If players are set to do there own thing they just fap about and no real rp happens. So i support Ports idea for Starbound

All Hail the Glitch Empire

Ragolution

Victoria ad Romanum stellata Imperii

Vivat machina reipublicae!

the_grub

Quote from: Ragolution on 28-02-2013
I haven't really had time to post anything like this in a while, so I sat down and opened notepad and here comes some ideas for Starbound.

Forescript - Ina7han I've skimmed your ideas and they're fine, I guess, but not exactly fun or conducive to RP. The whole Starship troopers vibe I'm getting from it isn't exactly my cup of tea so I kind-of seek to disrupt any situation that mimics that. I'm gunna prevent your ideas from happening if I can, and if I can't I guess I'll figure something out...

Back to me having ideas and whatnot.
So after looking at a lot of the released information for starbound, and the fact that players can control planets, starships and etcetera I started coming up with some ideas on how to run a stable RP server. Now RP is fun, but never as fun as when you have an enemy, or a rival. While you can argue that a multi-faction system hasn't worked on Terraria or Aceon, you can't really make the argument that a single-faction system has had any semblance of success either- Both servers have tried both systems and it's made it apparent that what players need are engaging events, or in short, something to do. While INA7HAN's ideas supply a bit of events, they don't really provide a supply or a regular occasion for events, whereas if we're in a sitaution where we have two rivalling factions that are basically on par with eachother, we do.

So, let me actually outline some stuff rather than throw rhetoric at you guys, right?

[spoiler=Idea #1 - Competing Factions]
I went into it at length, but we need two (or more?) factions. The main idea is there's two grand empires.

I've already come up with one, which is directly based on the Roman Empire utilizing the Glitch race as Romans. This civilization would function very much like Rome itself, with elected officials (and after a brief concillitory period) and an elected Emperor. The Empire holds grand land holdings, a great population, most of the technology and science in the galaxy and is the military king, but has some very obvious social dissent and rebellion issues in its outlying spheres.

The Astral Duchy, which is my idea for an opposing faction, would be a socially advanced society with a small-ish population and a medium-sized holding in space. We can work out the other stuff, such as planet names, architecture and so on later, but this is the idea behind the Empire. Socially progressive and growing, but markedly weak. The Duchy would sort of ideologically be compared to The Netherlands or, well, we'll figure it out if not. Placeholder?

The hope is that the two nations start at peace, but it's strenuous at best. Both want a bigger share of the economy and the system, as well as the ability to host a bigger fleet and attract immigrants from the opposing nation without spending the resources required to go to war.

We can work out a war system later, if we want to.

[spoiler=Idea #1b]
I also though, hey, why not make a faction that's like the Holy Roman Empire.
If you guys like that more than the Astral Duchy or the Space Rome idea tell me, because I like that too.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #2 - The Space Station]
You know how we have a space station?
And there's only one of them?
How about we use that as the new player starting area, as well as a United Nations sort of assembly. The two powers are both mighty and would not want to risk their wealth in an attack, and both are quite (hopefully) civilized.

So the United Space-tions would be hosted here and that's the biggest thing, because we're civilized nations, and we have our ruling councils, so why can't we confer like non-barbaric peoples?

[spoiler=Idea #2b]Should we have a barbarian horde, like Space Mongols or something?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #3 - Social Strife]

The purpose of the Roman Empire thing is that the Glitch would be "First Class Citizens" and everyone else would be a dirty immigrant commoner who holds limited rights, no land, and is sometimes viewed as 'lesser' by the Glitch Overlords.

The Stellar Roman Empire is weak because of that, in some ways.

Still, social strife will engage politics and so on. I could expand on this more but I'm sure we all know at least a little bit about Rome. In this case, space rome.

[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Server Name Suggestion - Endymion
+ Support