Libya: UN backs action against Colonel Gaddafi

Started by Bielecki, 17-03-2011

Bielecki

Quote from: BBC
The UN Security Council has backed a resolution on Libya that supports a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" to protect civilians.

Meeting in New York, the 15-member body agreed "to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas under threat of attack".

It also supported a no-fly zone to help halt the advance of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

Reports suggest air strikes may begin within hours of the resolution passing.

The US, UK and France proposed the council resolution, backing action short of an invasion. It passed 10-0 with five abstentions.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, introducing the resolution, said: "In Libya, for a number of weeks the people's will has been shot down... by Colonel Gaddafi who is attacking his own people.

"We cannot let these warmongers do this, we cannot abandon civilians."

He added: "We should not arrive too late."

Russia and China - which often oppose the use of force against a sovereign country as they believe it sets a dangerous precedent - abstained rather than using their power of veto.

Earlier reports suggested that if the resolution was passed, air attacks on Col Gaddafi's forces by the British and French air forces could begin within hours.

It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies.

Col Gaddafi's forces have recently retaken several towns seized by rebels during an uprising.

Earlier on Thursday, addressing the people of Benghazi, the rebels' main stronghold, Col Gaddafi said his troops were coming "tonight" and there would be "no mercy".

He told rebels to go home, adding that "whoever lays down his weapons" would be pardoned.

Rebel leaders replied by saying their forces would stand firm and not be deterred by Col Gaddafi's threats.

Late on Thursday, anti-aircraft fire and explosions were heard in Benghazi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12781009

Just in case you havn't heard yet.

andrewhatesyou

Quote from: Agera on 17-03-2011

Gaddafi looks like he is smoking some serious dope in that picture.

STALKER RP
Lt.Ivan Kutz-ALIVE-Military
Vladimir Kutz-ALIVE-Merc
FALLOUT RP
John Serio-ALIVE-Senior Initiate

deluxulous

Gaddafi... just go. Leave. Now. Please. You'll be doing everyone a favor.

Agera

Looks like my country is becoming America's new Vietnam.

lolKieck

Quote from: Agera on 18-03-2011
LOL nice joke. America doesn't want to get into war with Libya. Voters, who voted on Obama would kill him if he'd make an action against Libya.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Recreas

Quote from: Agera on 18-03-2011

Not in the slightest, this man fights on his own against all major powers.

In the Vietnam war it was the Soviets that kept the war going not Vietnam (Though Vietnam soldiers were damn dangerous and did anything to kill an american)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves

deluxulous

Quote from: lolKieck on 19-03-2011
LOL nice joke. America doesn't want to get into war with Libya. Voters, who voted on Obama would kill him if he'd make an action against Libya.
We're too busy with helping Japan to kick Libyan ass.

lolKieck

Quote from: PistolKid on 19-03-2011
America has also shit up at Afghan and Iraq. No need for another war.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Nova

I've always wanted to say this... not sure why, but what the hell:
What the fuck is wrong with humanity?

deluxulous

Iraq is done for. It's mostly Afghanistan and Pakistan now, I think. The middle eastern war is "old news" now a days, don't read anything in the paper about it anymore.

Quote from: Nova on 19-03-2011
What the fuck isn't wrong with humanity?

A better question.

Cutch

Quote from: Nova on 19-03-2011
What the fuck isn't wrong with humanity?

A better question.
The billion dollar question. Thing is, mankind is self-destructive. Thats the only reason we haven't overpopulated since, compared to most other species, we mate like feral rabbits.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

ThY

QuoteUS and UK missiles pound Libya
US and British ships and submarines have launched the first phase of a missile assault on Libyan air defences, firing 112 Tomahawk cruise missiles at more than 20 coastal targets to clear the way for air patrols to ground Libya's air force.

The US, UK and European nations launched the broadest international military effort since the Iraq war in support of an uprising that had seemed on the verge of defeat.
Source: http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156577665

Nova

Seriously, humanity is on the brink of nuclear war and devastation. Now, Denmark announced last week that they would send F16's to Libya. They would provide aerial reconnaissance aswell providing neccesary airstrikes. Then yesterday, Denmark announced they would send bloody ground troops into Libya. What the hell?

My point is, why can't anything be solved with peaceful negotiations (apart from the fact that we are a murderous species)? I mean, I really want to live long enough to have kids, you know?

deluxulous

You seem to be forgetting that Gaddafi is a sadistic dictator who willingly kills his own civilians. And people like that aren't normally open to "peaceful negotiation."

Nova

Well, I did in fact forget that part. Yes, Gaddafi can in some ways be compared to both Hitler and Stalin. But let's try and use Japan during world war 2 as an example. It took more than 2 million dead Japanese soldiers, and more than a million Japanese civilians and 2 nukes, before they surrendered. And then there's Germany. For them, it took more than 5 million dead soldiers and more than 3 million civilians deaths before they surrendered.
How many will have to die this time, before they surrender?

Agera

Well, at least you're sending troops to put Gaddafi down. Chavez said he would send troops to help Gaddafi if he's attacked.

What the fuck man.

Bielecki

Quote from: Nova on 20-03-2011
Seriously, humanity is on the brink of nuclear war and devastation.

No it's not.

Agera, are you saying you come from Libya?

deluxulous

Quote from: Nova on 20-03-2011
Well, I did in fact forget that part. Yes, Gaddafi can in some ways be compared to both Hitler and Stalin. But let's try and use Japan during world war 2 as an example. It took more than 2 million dead Japanese soldiers, and more than a million Japanese civilians and 2 nukes, before they surrendered. And then there's Germany. For them, it took more than 5 million dead soldiers and more than 3 million civilians deaths before they surrendered.
How many will have to die this time, before they surrender?

Two weeks before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan was offering peace to America. And until Pearl Harbor, it was hoped that there WOULD be peace between the two nations. That got kicked in the head, obviously.

There was no point in talking peace with Germany, they had invaded too many nations and killed too many people to try and negotiate anyways.

Point is, if someone is crazy enough to start shit like this, they're crazy enough to not see reasoning.

Ragolution

Update: America (and those sweaty english types) have fired cruise missiles at Libya.

I can't remember the target

Nova

Quote from: Ragolution on 20-03-2011

Update: America (and those sweaty english types) have fired cruise missiles at Libya.

I can't remember the target

Yup, it's official. Denmark, America, Great Britain and France is now in war against Libya. American and British cruisers have fired a total of 112 (or was it 122?) tomahawk(?) missiles at Libyan targets. Denmark and France have bombed them from the air.
Can't wait to see the outcome of this (I predict the death of Gaddafi and only minor casualties to us).

Agera

Venezuela. Not to proud, really.

Goose

Canadian fighters are being flown in to assist the french air force on bombing missions.
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Agera

Anti-Air gun fire

Tomahawk missile launching

Pictures not by me, of course.

Goose

Thats what the cruise missiles were supposed to take out ;_; also no pictures at all?
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"