Started by Gonztah, 04-12-2013

jaik

Quote from: lolKieck on 08-12-2013
will we get MRP in 2016?

when it's done. ;)

Quote from: lolKieck on 08-12-2013
SRP is going to use the old script silver made
which is bad

the script isn't bad. it's just some of the features need to be edited/removed like hunger/thirst, headbobbing and every other unnecessary bullshit.

Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

CC

TnB has most of the SRP playerbase. . I don't really see a reason why they/any new people would come to HGN; unless they're the exiles/banned from the TnB servers. There needs to be a reason for people to come to the server and even bother playing it in the first place. I still stick to my previous statement though.

(As much as I'd like to have a trip down nostalgia lane. But if you decide to get it back up, hey; I'll give it a try.)

INA7HAN

Nice to see everyone avoided the point I was making. There are no new SRP players, well not many anyway and all of these players are on TnB or go to TnB. Hence why I stated we'd not get any new players as the hype is gone from Stalker and so there will be no fresh blood

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

jaik

Quote from: INA7HAN on 08-12-2013
Nice to see everyone avoided the point I was making. There are no new SRP players, well not many anyway and all of these players are on TnB or go to TnB. Hence why I stated we'd not get any new players as the hype is gone from Stalker and so there will be no fresh blood

We didn't get any new players due to CoP's release, so you're missing the point entirely. I would also like to remind you that TnB launched its SRP when stalker was already old and almost forgotten and that new HL2RP servers are made weekly with new players, so I really don't think there was a point to avoid in first place.

nKe

All hail the great big ape.

Frostee

Rebel6609

Quote from: Rebel6609 on 07-12-2013
For the sake of everyone, it's best to let SRP rest in its coffin. people want it up, they play for a little bit, problems arise as per usual, and then everyone stops playing. It's like wanting to play that old game you used to play, and then by the time you walk over to the CD collection, and walk back, you don't feel like playing it anymore. That's SRP's revival in a nutshell.

Quote from: Frostee on 08-12-2013
Just let it die.

Fuck.

Quote from: Cutch on 08-12-2013
Why wouldn't you just keep working on a metro RP server rather than continue the monotony of SRP that we've had over the past five years.

Well Stalker hype has pretty much gone seen as the aren't any news one being made etc so players who played stalker upon release of the games and thought wouldn't it be fun to RP this have dissappeared with basically zero chance of getting news players so it'd just be all the old players really.

Stop while you're ahead.

<22:23:04> "Puffles": gofuckyourselfaggot
<22:25:12> You were banned for 5 hours from the server by "Cole" (For trolling)
Never in my life have I ever had to endure 9 yearolds calling me a banana picker, and then get banned afterwards for doing nothing wrong.
Promising Young admins.

HitMan5523

You still owe me that fucking donation, Frosty.
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

Silver Knight

If we do go ahead with a SRP reform, donations won't be a major factor anymore, infact, most donation schemes will be done away with entirely as the costs for hosting are now 1/10 of what they were and i am in a very healthy position financially to upkeep the server.

We will need around £30 pounds a month to keep our servers\website\misc running. Any excess would go to motivation towards development. But time for myself is very limited these days. I wanted to get Metro RP up but there's no time\motivation on my side, and no one has really "chipped" in to help either with that project. I only get weekends to do stuff and even then, i am very busy with other things that i would normally do throughout the week.

So in short, donation packages most likely won't exist, it will just be rubles you can buy, some donation weapons and some nice donation skins. Mutants will be awarded upon roleplay skills. I don't want to piss off former donators so they could get some free, one time starter gear or something.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Silver Knight

Maybe we could use Survarium and have STALKER lore incorporated as part of that basis, so abit into the future. To attract new (Survarium fans) and old players (STALKER\Metro) Fans.

So a cross-breed of STALKER, Survarium and Metro, this could be done since:

Stalker = chernobyl\ukraine (2011)
Metro = Russia (2033 onwards)
Survarium = World (2026 onwards)

STALKER = The chernobyl zone, the expansion of the zone, Survarium are other zones popping up around the world and metro is focused on it's own kind of nuclear desolation, it fundamentally could all be linked together and work which would mean a merger of assets, timelines\lore and bring up something fresh\new. But of course, this is just a concept\idea of retaining what everyone liked about stalker, keeping it stalkerish and involving fresh idea's into the mix.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

INA7HAN

Well in about 10 minutes i came up with this shit idea.

The zone begins to expand at an increasing rate, Russia wishes to send in teams of scientists to try and solve the problem desperately to save the world. America seeing the zone as the expanding threat decides to nuke it. Nukes are launched at the zone but it's protected by a large bubble like anomalie causing the Nukes (More than one?) to explode spreading radiation and ash and all that other jazz around, Russia retaliates with Nuclear weapons causing the world to be fucked up. With one to stop the zone spreading it spreads across the world and gas anomalies sprout out everywhere causing the surface to be unbreathable without specalised equipment/gasmask. Mutants evolve to survive in the harsh enviroments or they go underground where people fled to survive the underbreathable atmosphere and radiation.

To include survairum simply new plant life begins to grow everywhere breathing in the gases and exhaling some oxygen meaning you're simply not filtering gases with your gasmask and that there is in fact oxygen above just the gases would kill you without it being filtered.

Gokiller

Ohh..Dear lord...don't do it... Please... Don't don't do it. I don't want Duty vs Nazis and Freedom vs Commies it would be... Ohh god...

Tom

Omg please dont mix games lore

And i read up until "America shoots nukes at zone" yeah man, remeber that huricane america shot nukes at to stop? Yeah me neither, cause shooting an ecological disaster with explosives is dumb, shooting nukes is dumb and shooting nukes at a nuclear disaster zone to stop it from spreading is autistic.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

INA7HAN

Quote from: Tom on 09-12-2013

And i read up until "America shoots nukes at zone" yeah man, remeber that huricane america shot nukes at to stop? Yeah me neither, cause shooting an ecological disaster with explosives is dumb, shooting nukes is dumb and shooting nukes at a nuclear disaster zone to stop it from spreading is autistic.
I did say was shit idea also 'Murica

Gonztah

I'd rather not have them mixed, would take a bit of work to make it not conflict with itself, and it'd still most likely be confusing as hell (More so to the possible new players)

Quote from: Tanako on 09-12-2013
If we do go ahead with a SRP reform, donations won't be a major factor anymore, infact, most donation schemes will be done away with entirely as the costs for hosting are now 1/10 of what they were and i am in a very healthy position financially to upkeep the server.

We will need around £30 pounds a month to keep our servers\website\misc running. Any excess would go to motivation towards development. But time for myself is very limited these days. I wanted to get Metro RP up but there's no time\motivation on my side, and no one has really "chipped" in to help either with that project. I only get weekends to do stuff and even then, i am very busy with other things that i would normally do throughout the week.

And seeing as this is the case I don't see a reason why not to give it a try at least. Metro isn't going anywhere/moving very slowly and it seems SRP is the only Gmod RP server HGN could put up at the moment without requiring too much effort, just some fixes to the script (Basically the stuff Jake said). I don't see what the people who're saying "No." are losing if it is indeed put up, not like you HAVE to play there or anything.

If it is put up, I'll play there and try to get other people to play on it.

nKe

Quote from: Tom on 09-12-2013

Pretty much what 'muricans would do.

Cutch

Fine, put the server back up if it makes you feel better.  Just don't be surprised when the initial hype wears off and the server empties out after a couple weeks.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

jaik

Quote from: INA7HAN on 09-12-2013
America seeing the zone as the expanding threat decides to nuke it.

wwwhhhaaat

hahahahahahaha good god stopped reading there

Gonztah

Quote from: Cutch on 09-12-2013
Fine, put the server back up if it makes you feel better.  Just don't be surprised when the initial hype wears off and the server empties out after a couple weeks.

I'd like to know why you're so against it that you'll bother to post comments like this on the forums, what's your take on this really?

I'm just worried that if new people do visit the forums they'll just read posts like this and come to the conclusion of: "Oh it'll die away then, wont bother even trying."
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.

nKe

Quote from: Gonztah on 10-12-2013
I'd like to know why you're so against it that you'll bother to post comments like this on the forums, what's your take on this really?

I'm just worried that if new people do visit the forums they'll just read posts like this and come to the conclusion of: "Oh it'll die away then, wont bother even trying."
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.
Being pessimistic is easy.

KillSlim

Hi all,

Lots of new faces here, some old ones too. I thought I would come back to the forums as I heard word from a few friends that HGN was being revived. Seeing as I spent an incredible amount of time on SRP from 2009 onwards, spending time with legends like Bagelz, Ganedor, Locke, Doomburger, and many other skilled RP'ers, I would be hard pressed not to make a response to the topic. In my absence I've continued RP'ing in an assortment of different communities, and I'm all too familiar with the concept of reviving on old (but much loved) RP scenario. Stagnation is the biggest issue, people get bored of the scenario, and timeline isn't necessarily considered when it is based upon a game which has it's own timeline. Advancing the RP scenario's timeline would be advancing through the game's timeline, and that would include some massive and impossible changes.

The way HGN did Stalker RP was to create a world, throw everyone into it, and see what happened afterwards. Individual group / player actions were not very influential, which gave the atmosphere a very still feeling of non-progression. There were events and many people and their characters would remember them for a long while, especially if it involved major factions. But there was still a sense of meaningless to their actions. If Stalker RP was to ever return and be successful when it must feel like everything has been tried, I propose the following:

1.) Create a Narrative
"But we're in a Narrative! We're in Stalker!"--Well, yes. However the server had HL2 syndrome in which the RP scenario remained permanently fixed. There needs to be an aspect of story telling, a story of this particular region of the zone that advances, arcs, twists, and most importantly, is influenced by the players which is then detailed on the forums to keep everyone updated of what is actually going on. Simultaneously, it would be a part of the 'greater plot' of Stalker, but simply wouldn't progress through the game's timeline. The server timeline progresses, but the overall scenario doesn't. Characters need to be involved in the story telling to reassure us that we are all influential. Like the zone, heroes and villains of all creeds, loyalties, and backgrounds become well known.

2.) Promote and emphasize passive RP
Passive RP can be boring, and we all know it, however it's your fault if it's boring. If your character is a boring one and doesn't have a personality, mannerisms, history, ambitions, likes & dislikes, and so on, your character is a drone. Passive RP has the potential to be some of the best RP you will ever experience if you put effort into your character and RP. Soon it will become second nature and will be thoroughly enjoyable. Inside the zone is the perfect setting for passive RP. A small while ago I went on an airsoft weekend in the winter to a big site. We spent the night in a -5 degrees freezing cold warehouse, the luxuries we had were warm clothes, alcohol, and food. 5 hours passed as we ate, drank, joked, took the piss, told stories, and it was great. My friend was also trying to fix one of his guns in the dark. I also slept in the back of a van. Images:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1157_zps19af4f61.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1155_zps3ea7f9e2.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1152_zpscfebc88f.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1154_zps0bf6b852.jpg

Those are the two big ones and I'm sure we can all think of minor improvements to the scenario and to the server itself, however what I listed above is probably the most important to make a revived scenario successful. We don't need to combine scenarios, just build upon the already fruitful Stalker scenario with the servers own story.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

jaik

Quote from: KillSlim on 10-12-2013
Stagnation is the biggest issue, people get bored of the scenario, and timeline isn't necessarily considered when it is based upon a game which has it's own timeline. Advancing the RP scenario's timeline would be advancing through the game's timeline, and that would include some massive and impossible changes.

1.) Create a Narrative
"But we're in a Narrative! We're in Stalker!"--Well, yes. However the server had HL2 syndrome in which the RP scenario remained permanently fixed. There needs to be an aspect of story telling, a story of this particular region of the zone that advances, arcs, twists, and most importantly, is influenced by the players which is then detailed on the forums to keep everyone updated of what is actually going on. Simultaneously, it would be a part of the 'greater plot' of Stalker, but simply wouldn't progress through the game's timeline. The server timeline progresses, but the overall scenario doesn't. Characters need to be involved in the story telling to reassure us that we are all influential. Like the zone, heroes and villains of all creeds, loyalties, and backgrounds become well known.

You're being very vague about an 'advancing story'. Describe in detail what it would look like. Right now it looks as if you just want someone to document the in-game change on the forum. HGN has always had a dynamic "story" as the balance of power swayed quite often(ie Duty being the superpower, then loners, then Military, etc) -- probably more than a half a hundred times, if not more, during my stay here. Playerbased groups have been founded and disbanded, loners and bandits got PKed, events and missions were made, admins were banned and recruited, new features were added and removed, legends came and went. I absolutely don't understand what the hell do you mean by "advancing timeline" when this is NOT a singleplayer game with static/predictable dynamic variables, but a roleplay server with constantly changing environment(less so when it's inactive, but you get my point). Timeline depends on the players themselves, not the administration, because at the end -- if players don't care, then whatever change you make won't matter.
Name a public server/community in GMod where such policy would prove itself fruitful -- where the proposed changing of timeline and the interest of the playerbase are in a direct causal relationship.

Individual group / player actions were not very influential, which gave the atmosphere a very still feeling of non-progression. There were events and many people and their characters would remember them for a long while, especially if it involved major factions.

Major factions have always been the core part of HGN Stalker RP. Once more, you're being very general -- how can you artificially make an individual action matter?

2.) Promote and emphasize passive RP
Passive RP can be boring, and we all know it, however it's your fault if it's boring. If your character is a boring one and doesn't have a personality, mannerisms, history, ambitions, likes & dislikes, and so on, your character is a drone. Passive RP has the potential to be some of the best RP you will ever experience if you put effort into your character and RP. Soon it will become second nature and will be thoroughly enjoyable. Inside the zone is the perfect setting for passive RP.
Those are the two big ones and I'm sure we can all think of minor improvements to the scenario and to the server itself, however what I listed above is probably the most important to make a revived scenario successful. We don't need to combine scenarios, just build upon the already fruitful Stalker scenario with the servers own story.

Sadly you've managed to make a rather poor generalization of the entire HGN playerbase and went on about a rather moderately relevant aspect of HGN's SRP that has little to do with the reviving process itself. First of all, you're trying to instill guilt for not prioritizing the elements of RP that you personally prefer. HGN has never been the temple of passive RP and it has never been the deciding factor of our success. There has never been a time in HGN where passive RP was different, ever. You're literally trying to change the way people want to play -- the entire reason they've ever come to HGN.
Now what I mean by that is that the average HGNer has always been interested in gear(which is fine by me), the currency of the character's physical strength, and money. Then come other factors like a collective, where the main objective is to earn that currency through various means for the entire collective(major factions use gear as a means to get influence, their primary IC objective, and more gear, minor collectives usually work towards dividing the currency evenly, not seeking influence that much). Gear is the ultimate incentive to roleplay. This is proven by dissatisfaction/anger of a person when they don't receive the reward that would be worth as much as the effort(roleplay) they put into completing a task.
RPG element has always been the core of HGN and nobody can do anything to change that. Not a single guide, tutorial, admin, rule or script feature will ever change that. Is there anything wrong with that? No, there isn't, or I wouldn't have spent so many years here, it's simply the face of this community and you shall learn to accept that, or keep unsuccessfully trying to pursue a roleplaying utopia that HGN will not become for its own good.

On a final note, as HGN has always been hosting RPGs, the characters are almost always developed in-game. Everybody earns their unique character features during the gameplay. It has never been the tradition of our playerbase to create paragraphs long backstories in order to play and frankly I look down on the people who think that it's a necessity and bring it over here. I wouldn't say that the characters are drones/bland/boring(that's the generalization I was speaking of earlier). Yes, compared to the well-thought out characters elsewhere, they may seem bland and indeed, the quality of roleplay may not be of the same standard as elsewhere, but HGN compensates with other features that make it unique.

A small while ago I went on an airsoft weekend in the winter to a big site. We spent the night in a -5 degrees freezing cold warehouse, the luxuries we had were warm clothes, alcohol, and food. 5 hours passed as we ate, drank, joked, took the piss, told stories, and it was great. My friend was also trying to fix one of his guns in the dark. I also slept in the back of a van. Images:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1157_zps19af4f61.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1155_zps3ea7f9e2.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1152_zpscfebc88f.jpg
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/KillSlim/DSCN1154_zps0bf6b852.jpg

um...
cool story bro

INA7HAN

Gear and wealth is main feature of SRP so when people say why everyone only cares about gear is because gear = power and power allows you to get more money and what's one of the main reasons people are in the zone? To make money, also on the Passive RP thing and blandness I haven't been here as long as everyone else really but I've seen many characters of interest which passive roleplaying with them was fun, mainly 'Hydra' 'Dragon' 'Syfer' (Crosshair) Alek (Duty guy) Ivanov? All were good characters there was also probably one of my favourite traders 'Night' who I bought most of my stuff from. Most people were interesting to know and Roleplay. It's the zone after all people may seem bland because no one just blurts out their life story to every tom dick and harry that says hi to them, you have to earn the trust of that person and brefriend them over time to get such information about someones history.

KillSlim

I was being very general as I've been absent for several years and made points based upon both my own experience in HGN when SRP was up, and based upon friends experiences who were here when I wasn't. It was general because I don't know how HGN was in it's closing time. Although what hasn't changed is the impression of HGN from players outside the community, that being that it is a TNB clone, a community that puts character equipment over RP.

I don't understand how you don't know what an advancing plot is. Your description is of a sandbox server, where as I said, things are left alone to happen. An advancing plot introduces some control on behalf of the admin team, but an actual plot is introduced instead of letting things slowly develop and then stagnate over time.

My generalization on passive RP was also based upon my experiences in the past, that being, I didn't see much passive RP (Although the little passive RP I had was great). My RL example was in relation to passive RP and showed that passive activity can be equally fun as active .. activity?

I don't understand your hostilities to change. If SRP were to ever return as standard as it was before, it would die again. Change is necessary in this instance. You don't see politicians wanting people's votes and promising to change or improve absolutely nothing, it would get them no where.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

jaik

Although what hasn't changed is the impression of HGN from players outside the community, that being that it is a TNB clone, a community that puts character equipment over RP.

There has never been any need to change that impression nor is there a need for such action. There's no point in trying to change as to what somebody assumes based on hearsay. I can't comprehend how can this be relevant anymore since this has been a matter of discussion since 2008 and obviously this pseudo problem needs even less attention at times like these. But if you want to prove that this is a problem then I'd wish you to gather at least some sort of evidence(of at least 15-25 random people at various communities that would have this predisposition towards HGN(screenshot of the entire chat, names with steam profiles included).

I don't understand how you don't know what an advancing plot is. Your description is of a sandbox server, where as I said, things are left alone to happen. An advancing plot introduces some control on behalf of the admin team, but an actual plot is introduced instead of letting things slowly develop and then stagnate over time.

The admin team has always had very extensive control over the roleplay. HGN is much more authoritarian(which is a positive trait) than TnB and other communities, where roleplay is almost never checked for its consistency or critically judged. There are exceptions where retarded roleplay occurs despite complaints, but that usually comes from a party which doesn't care about RP at all or has more authority(usually both). I don't remember SRP ever being a sandbox and I don't know where did you catch the idea that it is such. Most of the non-small time roleplay is started by admins and usually requires their presence to continue it properly. Almost always when there's a conflict RP between (groups of) characters, there's a major shitstorm if an admin doesn't come to guide/restrict the conflict.
I don't understand what you're suggesting, because there cannot be one plot that every player on the server would like to follow, people make their own sub-plots(which is usually led by a participant that happens to be an admin) to RP in  as not every character is in the position to participate in the biggest on-going conflict in the server.

My generalization on passive RP was also based upon my experiences in the past, that being, I didn't see much passive RP (Although the little passive RP I had was great). My RL example was in relation to passive RP and showed that passive activity can be equally fun as active .. activity?

Seems like you didn't read my post at all.
Your generalizations are based on experience, but you fail to comprehend that this experience is exactly the genuine HGN experience and there's no need in changing it. Your real life example is absolutely random and doesn't relate to discussion at all. Are you then saying that for proper passive RP you're required to sit in a garage at -5c and fix weapons in the dark? How you even try to compare real life and an RPG is laughable.

I don't understand your hostilities to change. If SRP were to ever return as standard as it was before, it would die again. Change is necessary in this instance.

Yet another generalization from our passive KillSlim -- by your logic I'm opposed to all kind of change based on my reaction to your inappropriate proposals. I never said we don't need to differ from what we used to be.

You don't see politicians wanting people's votes and promising to change or improve absolutely nothing.

I hereby introduce you to conservatism.