Metro 2033 RP in HGN? Possible, fun, retarded?

Started by klp4, 21-03-2010

Dug

Quote from: Headcrabs on 09-10-2010
As good as it would be, I can not see it happening.

Making it alone would be a problem, but in game, there would be problems as well.
People like guns too much to just roleplay a citizen.

You can have a gun. That's no doubt. But you would have to get it approved , depending on the station rules and the leader figure of it.

meetdadoom

Quote from: Jake on 09-10-2010
Metro RP won't work, sure the idea sounds great.
But in practice it just wouldn't work.
The map must be GIGANTIC, it would take years to create it. ( no joke )
It would need a very active playerbase, always.
This kind of roleplay will be always limited to FRPs.

Also it would need some fancy scripting and a boatload of content.

I agree with Jake, fear rp goes to an extent, and who wants to rp as a regular citizen cleaning shit up for 4 hours? Stalker works because EVERYONE is involved in action. Fallout Rp works because the world is a dog eat dog world. Crussaria however I feeling will NOT work for the same reasons of Metro rp. No one wants to clean horse shit up for 4 hours a day.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Dug

Half life 2 RP, Citizen anyone?

I don't know if you are aware but in the book, every citizen of a station goes to patrol and guard every 48 hours or less. They exchange in shifts. Basically someone is always doing something. Instead of patrolling you can clean/feed pigs/fix stuff/trade, etc.

Steel

Wont work in HGN, most of you cant roleplay. End.

None of you have any preference on fear RP and all you all want to be is "Badasses".

jaik

Quote from: Steel on 09-10-2010
Wont work in HGN, most of you cant roleplay. End.

None of you have any preference on fear RP and all you all want to be is "Badasses".

OK.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

KingArthur

What do you mean, just because my character is 6 foot 7 inches weighs 280 pounds of pure mustle, has an Exo and a machine gun strapped to his back but dosn't use it because he would much rather kill blood suckers with his bare hands 1v1 with an eye patch on and one hand tied to his foot... My character isn't bad ass at all... i dont know what your talking about.

Plunger

Oh great, another idea will Silver will never work on.

lolKieck

Quote from: Alucard on 09-10-2010

Did he say he will work on it ?
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Plunger

Quote from: lolKieck on 09-10-2010

Then who is going to make it.

Dug

No one. It's merely a suggestion.

Plunger

Quote from: Dug on 09-10-2010

No one. It's merely a suggestion.
So there a bunch of people arguing about an idea that will never happen.

K

Dug

Paintcheck

Games like Metro (and to a lesser extent, STALKER) that rely heavily on atmosphere don't make good RPs for the reason Steel said: players are fucking idiots who will ruin the sense of immersion by acting badass. Wouldn't work

Plus no one has ripped the models (unless they have) and it would be awfully similar to STALKER.

Ravanger

Yeah we might as well make another stalker roleplay.

Khorn

But being in cramp tunnels would create a better atmosphere over being in an open and sunny space.

As for people needing guns, they can join the commies or nazis like he said. Or just live out in the tunnels alone, since no station would take them. Mutants will eventually kill them.

Citizens would merge Traders and Loners, since now they all can get jobs.

Jobs as Guards, Food Trader, Gun Trader, Ammo to Cash Trader, Leader of station(And lower tiers), Transportation to stations, Guides(Tunnels and Land), Construction workers, Mechanics (Guns and trains), Surface Scavengers.

It would be tough to put the game mode together due to lack of maps, models, script, and something else I'm sure. But I do say, if it was made it would bring a new player base. Only to die slowly some time later.

Steel

The biggest issue apart from the quality of roleplay id have is that the majority of people would RP the game. Which is actually a complete and utter perversion of the actual canon to the metro 2033 universe. A load of shit basically. And you mention Commies and Nazis? Fact is they play a small role in the metro, think outside the game and into the real novel. Hansa are the big power. And polis would be a Briliant faction to RP with the different castes and all.

Paintcheck

All of 5 people in the Gmod populace have actually read the novel so the odds of getting good RP true to the book would be slim to none.

Khorn

I have a copy of the book. But I have a couple of things to read first before getting to it.

lolKieck

Quote from: Paintcheck on 11-10-2010
All of 5 people in the Gmod populace have actually read the novel so the odds of getting good RP true to the book would be slim to none.

Kind of small population isn't it ?
Quote from: Khorn on 11-10-2010
I have a copy of the book. But I have a couple of things to read first before getting to it.

I'd suggest reading it first, it's a good book. But if you have something like Ender's Game, then read those books first.

Steel

Quote from: Paintcheck on 11-10-2010

Which dosent make it worth doing. The actual game isn't actually metro 2033, almost completely different.

Jazer

In that case Steel, and everyone else, let's admire the mechanics that the game actually had and perhaps make a gamemode based on that, rather than float around the story and books so much. Even Exile told me he loves the idea of having to wear a gas mask on the surface, in a frozen wilderness, and then descending into the underground metro.

In other words, a non-RP Metro 2033 game. No, it doesn't have to be a faction war death-match game. It can be slower pace, with diplomacy between stations and focus taking care of your station.   

lolKieck

Quote from: HostelEffect on 12-10-2010
In that case Steel, and everyone else, let's admire the mechanics that the game actually had and perhaps make a gamemode based on that, rather than float around the story and books so much. Even Exile told me he loves the idea of having to wear a gas mask on the surface, in a frozen wilderness, and then descending into the underground metro.

In other words, a non-RP Metro 2033 game. No, it doesn't have to be a faction war death-match game. It can be slower pace, with diplomacy between stations and focus taking care of your station.   

If there are a few stations, unless you are talking about M2033 RTS, then it'd be RP of some sorts.

Jazer

How I would break down the gamemode, since you all are so uncreative.

If you want a game that simulates anything realistically, then you need Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Some of the details in each tier can be skipped for obvious reasons, but core needs like food and water are great motives to set the Metro 2033 gamemode active. It creates the busy work that you will see most people do in the world. Beyond that,  there needs to be an ultimate goal that every player has, the win condition per say. This goal will take a long time to accomplish. Once he or a group reaches this goal, the game restarts. The importance of the short-term needs and long-term goals is very important. The short-term needs stand in the way of the long-term goal. If the ultimate goal was to make some amount of currency, or dominate the other factions, your short-term needs such as eating and drinking would get in the way. Which breaks up unique events such as raid or faction attacking, from regular tasks such as making a station function so everyone can eat and live.

That's just the outline, the details will be filled in later.     

Maxi96203

Quote from: Steel on 22-03-2010

I mean, excluding mercs out of the picture would be a start.

And im going to say this now, mapping will be a pain in the arse, because the map will have to be large. With random tunnels.

But remember one thing... all of you, and remember it to this day:
THE NOSALIS ARE COMING.

I think it would offer great Passive RP, completely different to SRP.
Its new?
No one else has ever done it, and with such a popular Book/Game and soon to possibly be movie...
The influx of players has the potential to be great!
Even introducing them to SRP as well. Just there are no models, we would need someone to rip them manually etc and it would take so long.

And in the game itself there is a limit of items, what could you possibly trade except for x ammount of weapons?
And i mean, there is two armour sets in the entire game, it lacks what an RPG has, an extensive inventory with plenty of items.

But in me saying that...
Take a look at HL2 RP, its popular in other communities and theres not an epic ammount of items.

Instant difference between this and SRP:
Its more about the mutants than the other factions, Factions play a smaller role than Stalker.
Youd have to make mutant factions, such as The Nosalis.
Librarians and daemons could be donator flags etc.
However there are faction ideas you can take from the books such as the Savage Cannibals of the Worm Cult.
We have The Redline and the 4th reich, and we also have "Hansa" Which is a commonwealth area.
In essence for a full experience we would have to go beyond the game and into the book.

Let me add a list of possible factions:

MAJOR:
The Redline: Communist group
The 4th Reich: Nazi's
Hansa: Commonwealth group.
The Nosalis: Main mutant horde.  We all know mutants only work with their own kind. (Featured by the Librarian Versus Daemon)
Polis: The safest haven in Metro 2033, it is the only place with scientists etc and a professional, but small military force, could narrow the faction down to just The Polis Kshatriya (forgive me if i spelt that wrong) They are the military force in Polis.
The Arbat Confederation: A group of Capatilists, generally non-russian nationality. Works with Hansa.

MINOR:
Traders
Bandits
Raiders
Citizens (Not really a faction)
Worm Cult
Station defence? (Armed station dwellers)
Revolutionary brigades (Small groups formally against redline but informally working with them, main role is attacking nazi's and criminals)

That is a rough list of factions you could include, obviously not ALL of them.
The ones i highlighted would possibly be the best choices.

As many people are also noting in this thread, its mainly for serious RPers, people that actually know how to fear RP and not be like "Lets go kill those muties!"
People will need to remember, their ammo is short, and weapon are rare.

Mutant attacks will have to be brief and frequent, planned in advance, preferbly evented.

Your in a metro, scared, clutching your weapon for dear life... and then you hear the Nosalis creeping up towards your position...

Just a few points there.

I think we have already established that this is a briliant idea and not retarded...
The one question that is now there is..

Is this possible HGN?

Post your thoughts on Pros and Cons?

As for content.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/50842

Theres your bastard already!

Possibly my most constructive post ever.

Forgot the Rangers
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

jaik

^

It's extremely hard to do and won't work on HGN, so it doesn't matter.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway