Call of Pripyat Complete Obscene loading times

Started by Paintcheck, 13-09-2011

Paintcheck

I finally bought CoP after seeing someone on Ebay selling a Steam key for it for $7. Game runs fine when I get in game however to load a new game or a save game takes 6-10 minutes which is utterly ridiculous. Vanilla isn't any better, load times are still several minutes long. Does anyone know of any way to fix this?

I've tried running as administrator, running just the base game, running CoP Complete, switching to Dx 10, changing the settings from High to Medium but nothing has helped. Regardless of settings it still takes 6+ minutes to load a save. The one thing I have not tried is disabling the Steam Friends overlay but I don't think that will fix it (but I'll try it anyway)

My specs

Windows 7 64 bit
P8700 Core 2 Duo 2.53 ghz Processor (yes I'm on a laptop but seeing as it exceeds the minimum requirements considerably I don't think that's it)
4 gb of RAM
ATI 4670

Also half the time when I start the game from Steam nothing happens (as in my computer just stays on Steam and the little box that says "Preparing to Launch Call of Pripyat" never comes up nor does the splash screen). I have to control alt delete and end the XrayEngine process and run it again. This isn't nearly as big a problem as the load times but it would be nice for that to stop.

Silver Knight

Sounds like more of a software issue than a hardware issue. However the graphics card you have in your laptop (Radeon HD 4670) only scores around 761 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html Which suffice to say, is not very good at running new games at mid\high.

It may be that the game it'self has corrupted or has issues. This could mean that you need to defrag and verify your local files of the game. Defraging your HDD would be a good idea too. If it's slow loading then it's a HDD problem or possibly a memory problem.

If none of the solutions i have stated above improve or solve your problem. I would suggest deleting the game entirely (Local cache files too) and reinstalling it.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Paintcheck

Already did all that, tried clean reinstall, defragging, verifying cache files, etc. Once I get in game loading takes lie 30 seconds, it's just loading the first instance of the game that takes years. While I understand that the first instance is the trickiest, 6 minutes vs. 30 seconds implies something isn't right.

I know it's a laptop card but the game runs smoothly once I get in so I really don't think that has anything to do with it and even if it did I can't do anything about it because it's a laptop. And like I said lowering settings did nothing to improve the situation.

ThY

Quote from: Paintcheck on 13-09-2011
takes 6-10 minutes which is utterly ridiculous.

I have no games that load faster than 10 minutes :l.
Anyhow sorry; no input from me. :S.. just throwing the above out there.

mxh24

I had the same problem... I just uninstalled it and deleted all the files left over and WOLA! It was fixed. I don't know what else to say... Reinstall steam?

"When in doubt, mumble."

Paintcheck

I already tried a clean reinstall, didn't help and reinstalling 50+ gigabytes of Steam games does not sound too appealing.

Iam333

If you have one more computer, try to install it on other one if it does the same. Or ask friend if he can install it. Its not uncommon that some videocards etc. arent compatible with certain game.

Paintcheck

If I had more than 1 computer I wouldn't be playing on a laptop. I'm getting a proper gaming rig once I move out of university housing and get enough space to have a desktop set up. It's not the graphics card because in game things run fine. It's just the first loading of the game that takes forever.

Iam333

Quote from: Paintcheck on 14-09-2011
If I had more than 1 computer I wouldn't be playing on a laptop. I'm getting a proper gaming rig once I move out of university housing and get enough space to have a desktop set up. It's not the graphics card because in game things run fine. It's just the first loading of the game that takes forever.
Worst question but: Do you have enough free space? I know Stalker is laggy (in-game and loading) sometimes when I had only some gigs free space.

Paintcheck

Still have 270 gb of free space. I thought it might have been that too since loading times would seem like a hard drive issue but if it is it's not for wanting free space.

Iam333

Then maybe last thing I can recommend is official forum or download some patch, but since its Steam this shouldnt be source of problem.