Yes
34 (66.7%)
No
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: 27-03-2012

ThY

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 24-03-2012
Rumor has it paychecks are being disabled. Anyone know about this?
It's definently something being considered. In deeper thought there are much more benifits than the old system, although in light thought it seems like a radical change.

Midgetonic

Wipe it, just change the map after you do it so its not the exact same thing.

StickyWicket

I'd like to see some action on sector 42, it's simply perfect.

Midgetonic

I'm not sure though...

Tom

Quote from: StickyWicket on 24-03-2012
I'd like to see some action on sector 42, it's simply perfect.

iirc the reasons we stopped using it was cause it was huge and also iirc people had troubles rendering it.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Spades_Neil

Quote from: ThY on 24-03-2012
It's definently something being considered. In deeper thought there are much more benifits than the old system, although in light thought it seems like a radical change.

Pro: That would force admins to be constantly involved in the economy.
Con: That would force admins to be constantly involved in the economy.

Could go good or bad. We'll see.

Corocan

inb4 Only people with whitelists advance in the stalker economy because we start with

GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR

ThY

Once enough money is in the economy, it will roll fluently by itself IF there are active traders, money will be more valuable and fairer on players who can't go on for hours upon end eating paychecks. Infact one of the only ways this could not work is if admins insert too much cash into the economy. Once its started to work by itself, we will need to just moniter it.

Spades_Neil

Once enough money is in the economy, it will roll fluently by itself IF there are active traders, money will be more valuable and fairer on players who can't go on for hours upon end eating paychecks. Infact one of the only ways this could not work is if admins insert too much cash into the economy. Once its started to work by itself, we will need to just moniter it.

My main concern is what happens when money disappears from the economy. People hoard, people lose stuff, people break stuff, the other way it could backfire is if money just starts disappearing from the economy.

The Federal Reserve in the real world gives extra cash money to places that don't have enough in circulation. I could easily get into the politics of it, like why the Gold Standard failed, and why it is relevant here. If the amount of money in the economy is permanently limited, it'll mess things up.

T-menu destroys money. That counteracts the paychecks bringing money into the economy. If you want to get rid of paychecks, get rid of official traders too because otherwise I see the market going in the opposite direction of hyper deflation.

Paintcheck

There is no way to fix the issue of inflation because the player base won't tolerate it. Trying to get bandits to work as item destroying entities to keep people from getting super rich fails every time because they get metagamed or stomped on by the combined entire server whenever they show up. Trying to have events where gear is lost/destroyed doesn't work because again the players won't allow it.

We should go back to the Cakescript days where inventories didn't save (well they sometimes did but it was a crapshoot) and there were a shit ton of flags that spawned with guns. Sure that made high end gear exceedingly rare (you know, like it SHOULD BE) because people would lose everything in their inventory periodically but it also kept the factions balanced because their soldiers spawned with mid tier suits and guns (and because they spawned with them there was no fear about losing STK fights because they'd jsut spawn with them again) and things were generally better.

Of course as Crussaria has shown us most Gmod players won't play if they can't horde gear and "win" at the game. So basically because none of the ways to actually fix the economy will be allowed by the selfish crybabies that make up most of the player base the best you can hope for is to slow the process immensely. Which creates its own set of problems as jobs and gear becomes super scarce to cut down on inflation, driving new players away who quickly get bored when thye can't have gear.

If you want to fix the economy, get a player base that cares about roleplay and not items. Since that is impossible for the average Gmod user, I would suggest not worrying about it. It's not fixable. I still voted for a wipe but I guarantee you in 6 months-1 year from now we will be right back to this same exact discussion. Because that has happened every single time a wipe has also.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Paintcheck on 24-03-2012
If you want to fix the economy, get a player base that cares about roleplay and not items. Since that is impossible for the average Gmod user, I would suggest not worrying about it. It's not fixable. I still voted for a wipe but I guarantee you in 6 months-1 year from now we will be right back to this same exact discussion. Because that has happened every single time a wipe has also.

Back in my day, people roleplayed by the PAGE and it was all text! They had no fancy modern G-mods! We had a keyboard and a chat room and that's if we were lucky! Back in my day there was no gear! There wa'dn't no economy-mumbo-jumbo! Kids these days and their gawddamn GEAR!

... I feel old now.

Plunger

Back in my day, people roleplayed by the PAGE and it was all text! They had no fancy modern G-mods! We had a keyboard and a chat room and that's if we were lucky! Back in my day there was no gear! There wa'dn't no economy-mumbo-jumbo! Kids these days and their gawddamn GEAR!

... I feel old now.
Yeah...chat box RP...that's what you did..sure..

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Plunger on 24-03-2012

... I feel old now.
Yeah...chat box RP...that's what you did..sure..

I bet you don't even know what the word 'novella' means in terms of roleplay. I'd be hard pressed to find someone with the attention span to even write that much for a storyline, much less have it make sense or not.

Lent23

Spawn with gear = people aren't afraid to die = no fear RP.

Not to say that Gear is needed to roleplay, but sometimes Gear breeds Roleplay, just a Roleplay breeds gear.

It's an endless struggle.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Silver Knight

The wipe has now happened, it's all fresh and waiting for stalkers to return to the zone.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Spades_Neil

Damn it. I was going to run into Server 2, drop all my shit, wait for the wipe, grab all my shit, and log on as richest STALKER ever.

Honestly not sure if that would have worked though. Something about wiping item entities too? I forget. I'm betting I'd just have come back and found nothing.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Lent23 on 25-03-2012
Spawn with gear = people aren't afraid to die = no fear RP.

Not to say that Gear is needed to roleplay, but sometimes Gear breeds Roleplay, just a Roleplay breeds gear.

It's an endless struggle.

No one fear RPs as it is so that's not a big loss. It would fix this issue of the factions never doing anything except standing around because they are too afraid of losing their shit.

Also Spades don't start a pissing contest in threads. I was going to lock it last night but I figured it would probably continue since you can unlock/post in locked topics.