Regarding shooting to miss

Started by Locke, 26-03-2010

What should we do about STM

Remove STM completely, and keep STK and STRP
Keep it as it is, using STM as the default engagement type
Change STK to the default engagement type
Revise the rules so that is is equally balanced

Locke

As you may or may not know, the weapons have had their accuracy drastically changed in such a way that they are no longer capable of extremely accurate fire. Most weapons now have a larger cone, and the recoil is much more extreme after a few shots in a burst. There have also been tracers added so that players know where shots are coming from. With all of this been said, shoot to miss might not be as needed as it was before, or needed at all.

So, I present to you this poll, do you wish to:

A) Remove STM completely, and keep STK and STRP

B) Keep it as it is, using STM as the default engagement type

C) Change STK to the default engagement type

D) Revise the rules so that is is equally balanced

Vote wisely.

Disclaimer: This is just a pole, even if the results are unanimous the rules will not change until all the admins have discussed the matter.

Paintcheck

STK sucks, too much whining and minge looting. STM also sucks because it's expensive, but at least it allows for RP instead of just bangbangbangbang whine.

If there was no looting, STK would be the best. Since we can't kill looting, I think STM is the only way to do things.

Locke

Alright thanks for your opinion, lets see what other people think.

Supercool

Quote from: Paintcheck on 26-03-2010
STK sucks, too much whining and minge looting. STM also sucks because it's expensive, but at least it allows for RP instead of just bangbangbangbang whine.

If there was no looting, STK would be the best. Since we can't kill looting, I think STM is the only way to do things.

Except STM is just shooting to miss. Shoot to roleplay is the one where you roleplay.

Silver Knight

Cleaned up thread, Locke don't be smokin tacoweed when making shit jeez.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

RAPTOR

STK all the way.
If people can't afford to fight then give over your cash.
I chill quite often.

Szenti

I don't want to go on the server, join a faction, and someone says STK in OOC, and they kill us all.
I simply voted to keep STM.
B)

Zstan

A) STM is fucking retarded. When do you go "I GUNA STK U LUL" in real life?

This is RP goddamnit, you die.

lolKieck

Quote from: Szenti on 27-03-2010
I don't want to go on the server, join a faction, and someone says STK in OOC, and they kill us all.
I simply voted to keep STM.
B)
This is what I think.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Tom

Well even with the changes I was still able to sink 2-3 consecutive head/body shots on Welshy (Yes welshy I was the asshole sniper that kept hitting you in the face... not dug) with single shot selected on my AKM. But that is not important, what is important is Yes STM is dumb to begin with... If I were in a full on assault with a bunch of other people I would not miss on purpose, that is just Dumb. But at times STK can be harsh in the fact that it always leads to Flame wars in OOC. STRP usally just turns into an STK fight if not monitored thus making it pointless. So really the lesser "Evil" would be STK, since I can deal with OOC flame.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Zstan

Quote from: Tom on 27-03-2010
Well even with the changes I was still able to sink 2-3 consecutive head/body shots on Welshy (Yes welshy I was the asshole sniper that kept hitting you in the face... not dug) with single shot selected on my AKM. But that is not important, what is important is Yes STM is dumb to begin with... If I were in a full on assault with a bunch of other people I would not miss on purpose, that is just Dumb. But at times STK can be harsh in the fact that it always leads to Flame wars in OOC. STRP usally just turns into an STK fight if not monitored thus making it pointless. So really the lesser "Evil" would be STK, since I can deal with OOC flame.
It doesn't always lead to flame wars.

It only leads to flame wars when someone loses something.

Like..when you just buy something and some dickhead bandits decide to rob you.

Or when you're in a faction war, and you just bought something like a AK, and you get killed in STK, that's when the flame wars start.

Bielecki

Anyone thought about typing?
If your in a STK fight, there is no point in STRP. Since its too risky to start typing. 

Plunger

Quote from: Tom on 27-03-2010
If I were in a full on assault with a bunch of other people I would not miss on purpose, that is just Dumb.
It's not supposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be RP.

STM as default is the best option. If STK is the new one then people will die before they can react properly, or even know it's STK.

Supercool

I still think adding a long range /me is the way to go for firefights. Maybe make it so you can see someone typing from a longer distance. STK and STM are not roleplay at all. STK is normally just cs:s, STM is silly and useless and imo worse roleplay than STK (hurf durf, ten freedomers vs two bandits but the freedomers are unable to shoot their own feet, so the bandits get away free?) STRP is the best option, we just need more support from the script for it. Where is that damn scripter anyways?

Locke

Oh man, I've thought about long range /me's as long as I have been roleplaying. Do want supercool, do want.

Afromana

Quote from: Zstan on 27-03-2010

So you are implying that RP = killing people?

Lucidius

STM reflects human error, in-aneptitude with arms and other things that affect you.

Just because your in the zone doesn't mean your going to be a crack shot, and STK will just lead to meta-game. i.e Random Loner being god in firearm combat, killing entire bands of expert mercz and monlith.

Killing people != Reason your on a stalker ROLE PLAY server. I didn't even USE sweps when I was on.
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

keyfoot

I say C

reason is, its hard to play stalker like the game, there has to be more of a threat in the inbetweens of bases. Maybe makes rules, in people bases, its strp default (unless raid, which it should be stk, should be said in ooc though*, but anywhere outside the walls, stk default. But have some limit/restrictions on killing, im sure together we can think of this.

adding from my "New standard of rping" thread, we should also add into the rules, a roll rp option and rules, where if both partys dont agree on roll fighting, then it  cant be used. and new rules such as ambushes, so people cant be "/roll" to get out of a point blank shot to the head...

Cheesums

Quote from: Lucidius on 27-03-2010
STM reflects human error, in-aneptitude with arms and other things that affect you.

That's more like what STRP reflects. STM seems to reflect everyone's complete and total disability to shoot everything BUT what they want to hit from 10-20 feet away.

Paintcheck

STK people in the back or when it's close and you outnumber them, STM every other time. Long range /mes would actually kill STM since you could just say "The Freedomer draws a bead on the Dutyer stationed at the checkpoint and fires" without actually using any ammo. That would win hard.

Personally I tend to resolve all my fights up close with /mes. Has worked very well, although most of my characters don't fight to win, just fight to live another day so for all the E-badasses out there that option doesn' always work.

franco20

STM sounds the most logical.  If you want to engage somebody, you should fire near them, but not completely fuck them up.  That way they have a chance to engage as well, knowing that there is a firefight.  Otherwise, it's pointless for people to get shot up because no roleplay of any sort comes out of it.
FALLOUT - Pvt. Beverley Louis: Tough-acting grunt in the service of New Haven.

Zstan

Quote from: Afromana on 27-03-2010
Quote from: Zstan on 27-03-2010

Nein, seeing as this is STALKER roleplay, and in STALKER death happens every hour of the day..so...

So you are implying that RP = killing people?

Supercool

Quote from: franco20 on 28-03-2010
STM sounds the most logical.  If you want to engage somebody, you should fire near them, but not completely fuck them up.  That way they have a chance to engage as well, knowing that there is a firefight.  Otherwise, it's pointless for people to get shot up because no roleplay of any sort comes out of it.
The roleplay in gunfights comes from the aftermath, never the actual gunfight. It simply has to do with the nature of guns (ie, quick sudden death/injury.) For example, in a knife fight someone can block, or disarm the attacker. In a gunfight, the only thing that matters is
A. Did you hit him?
B. If so, where did you hit him.
I don't know what kind of roleplay you expect during the actual fight, but all you will get is roleplay about decisions that are designed to give a player (or group of players) as large an advantage as possible. It just does not work.

franco20

I'm just trying to look at it from an all-fairness point of view.  This isn't like single-player where your actions impact only the level and yourself.  A knife fight is highly /me involved, USUALLY.  Of course, if you come up behind the guy and slit his throat then that's another thing.  In a gunfight, people don't always die.  They can flee, take cover, use the environment to their advantage: fog, thunderstorms, swamp, etc.  A good guide for rp combat would be great, and if there already is one I would like the link.  Otherwise, there are still things to consider that leads me back to my original post.
FALLOUT - Pvt. Beverley Louis: Tough-acting grunt in the service of New Haven.

OrangeReal

I chose B..
Reason - So it promotes RP
SRP
Arthur 'Night' Hutchinson - ALIVE
Anne 'Savior' Gerris - ALIVE
Coroner - ALIVE
'Crazed' - ALIVE