Possible new melee combat system?

Started by Nargotah, 02-04-2010

Nargotah

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Basically my idea is, is that melee combat, and keeping mobile during said combat, should happen with dice rolls, and certain situations should either increase or decrease the roll value. For example, someone wearing an exo would have a +10 to any physical attacks they tried, i.e. punching someone in the face, but a -10 to any moving around or dodging.

Now then, this would take a good bit of effort to remember, but I think it could make melee combat a bit more interesting, and put a good bit more value on what kind of suit you have. If you're going against an exo in melee, you should have to be very careful. You're not going to be able to beat an exo with pure strength unless you're in one as well. You'd have to use your wits, by say, using your higher speed to get behind the exo and try to land an attack there.

What i'm thinking is, there should be only three different "abilities", so to speak.

Attack: Deals with full on physical attacks, such as a straight punch to the face.

Defense: Deals with, of course, defending from an attack. May be chosen instead of simply dodging. Recommended only if you are in an Exo or slightly better armored suit.

Dodge/Movement: Deals with dodging attacks, or slipping past or around an enemy. For example, a straight dodge would just be /me attempts to dodge to the right to avoid the blow.   However, a movement roll would be like /me attempts to slip past the right of *insert fighter here*.

Now then, obviously, with this kind of stuff going on, we're going to have to have different totals for every different suit and whatnot. Also, I have thought of a way to add even more variability to the combat, by way of adding how well you hit to the dice rolls as well.

Here are the tables i've come up with for that.

1-10 A complete miss, embarrassing to look at, really. Possibly actually causes negative effects, such as knocking you off balance.

11-20 A normal miss.

21-40 A glancing blow, barely capable of stunning the enemy.

41-60 A decent hit, capable of inflicting some damage, but nothing special.

61-80 A great hit, landing a solid blow to whatever body part was being attacked.

81-100 Oh jesus.

Now, I haven't thought about this that much, but it definitely does seem to be a little off. If anyone could give me some ideas about this, that'd be great. I feel as though fights would end far too quickly, because rolls are very rarely below twenty.

Okay, so we've gotten a good bit out of the way, but there's still one crucial part. I will be doing research on every suit we can get in StalkerRP, and seeing what effects they would likely have on movement, attack, and defense. I have nothing better to do today, so i'll probably be able to update this soon. Please give me feedback on whether you think this is a good idea or not! I believe that this could add a whole lot more excitement to melee combat, and add more importance to the suit you have. Thanks for reading.

Pawx

Who would be stupid enough to have a melee weapon in the Zone...

Nargotah

Quote from: Pawx on 02-04-2010
Who would be stupid enough to have a melee weapon in the Zone...

It's more of a hand to hand thing. No weapons or anything. Just CQC.

Pawx

Let me correct myself, Who would be stupid enough to fist fight or use a Melee weapon in the Zone...

Nargotah

Let me correct myself, Who would be stupid enough to fist fight or use a Melee weapon in the Zone...
As training? For fun? Because it'd be something to do? Meh, it's just an idea.

Zstan

I don't think we would really need this, because we use /me.

Example:  /me punches guy in the face.

Nargotah

Quote from: Zstan on 02-04-2010

Example:  /me punches guy in the face.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but it might be more interesting. Because when you use /me it's basically you two just hitting eachother until one of you gets bored. This way uses /me and rolling combined, you just /me what you try to do, your opponent does too, you both roll, and then see what happens. Just a thought, it might make things a bit more interesting in my opinion.

deluxulous

Example:  /me punches guy in the face.

User was banned: Powergaming

but yeah, Zstan has a point

You /me different things, you don't just start a slap fight. If you get hit, you need to react to that, and so on and so forth.

Nargotah

Well, just as an example, my character got into a fight with a Stalker a couple of days ago.

Basically what we did, was we both /me'd certain things, and whoever got the highest roll would be the one to actually accomplish it.

For example:

Schelkarov Gernetsky attempts to knee Stalker in the crotch.

Stalker attempts to headbutt Schelkarov as Schelkarov leans in.

Schelkarov Gernetsky rolls 95

Stalker rolls 58

Schelkarov Gernetsky knees the Stalker in the crotch, attempting to follow it up by headbutting the Stalker.

Stalker tries dodging out of the way, nursing his crotch.

Schelkarov Gernetsky rolls 7

Stalker rolls 34

Stalker dodges.

Etc etc. It basically would go like that, but that's a very "base" fight, so to speak. It didn't incorporate any of the special pluses or minuses or whatever.

Zstan

When I RP on my bloodsucker we do it like this..

If I /me'd hitting someone in the face I would use my claws once on that body part ( the head)

And if I got /me shot they would shoot me in whichever body part they specified in the /me

Lucidius

I don't think anyone plans on doing melee specifically anywhere when it comes gunplay. I think it's more of a back up thing. And shit does happen. The fact you've never had to might say something about you.

RP generally has a few kind of players, generally to get decent situations, you need some one who's passive or needs to allow themselves to lose to the other person (not the fight, lose a roll, or action against them). I.e if the person doesn't let them selves get knocked out, they wont be captured, held captive and from there interesting negotiations can't be made. (if that were the case).

If everyone wins, then nothing good comes of it, it just prevents more indepth RP from happening beyond just /me shoots.
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

deluxulous

I remember one time I rp'd to lose in /me, it was fun.

Romolski was an infected STALKER, and we attacked him. We shot him two or three times, and then swiped the gun from my hands. I tried to stab him with my kabar, but I missed. He got up, and I ran for my gun, but I tripped.

I think he tore my neck out after that.

BUT IT WAS FUN!

Assassinator

If I /me'd hitting someone in the face I would use my claws once on that body part ( the head)

Wat. I guess this is why people are scared to RP with bloodsuckers. You shouldn't be using SWEP's during RP.

And if I got /me shot they would shoot me in whichever body part they specified in the /me

Lucidius

Quote from: Assassinator on 09-04-2010

Wat. I guess this is why people are scared to RP with bloodsuckers. You shouldn't be using SWEP's during RP.

SWEPS don't belong in RP, at all. SWEPS are for, STRP, STM and STK, mainly shooting.

Despite popular belief, you don't shoot the person if you /me shooting them. You just /me shooting.

Actually shooting some one with a SWEP from a /me seems like, soemthing a kinder gardener would do. I encountered this all the time in TSRP back in the day. People would be like /ME PUNCHES YOU and then they'de do an upper cut and put some one just above half HP. Also, if you accidently kill them then they can't really RP back.

I see it as a way to weaken some one up so that you can get some distance on them and 'accidently' kill them in STM, making your character another godly legend in the zone.

Not enough people acknowledge the mortality of their characters, they only acknowledge th work behind creating a new one, and would rather just not do the work.

I remember being bored and on my main RP char that i've had for more then a year, who was a crime lord in one city and an  up and coming crime lord in the current city.

Some one was bored, and wanted to CK some one. Naturally everyone declined exept for me, who CK'd my super epic bad ass character on the whim of some guy I didn't even like a whole lot. It was awesome though. Think they tried to cut me up inside a resteraunt, but I like, grabbed a Ruger MkII out of between a few boxes and shot a guy (not lethally). They chased me down to the gunshop, blew the doors open with something and cornered me, blew my brains out and left it at that.

Fun shit. Also reminds me of the time we cut that guy up into tiny pieces in the chinese resteraunt and served him to the gang's boss.
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Assassinator

Wait, what? My message didn't come out underneath... I'm saying Zstan SHOULDN'T be SWEPing people, it's donators like him that give bloodsuckers a bad name.