An announcement, and a call to interested players

Started by Ace of Hearts, 19-02-2012

Ace of Hearts

Right, these kinds of threads aren't normally my job, but here we go; I'm sure everyone has noticed that Duty is falling victim to the same traps it always seems to get caught in whenever a new leader pops up. Well, this time, rather than allow this to happen, or swap the leadership yet again, I'm going to make an effort to 'save' Duty and get the figurative ball rolling again.

Now, you're probably wondering; "Ace, since when do you lead Duty?" I don't. Goose does. However, I have his permission to carry out a number of changes already, on top of being the currently-assigned co-leader, and he & I will be continuing our discussions on the ever-existing question of "How do we make Duty not suck?". That said, a number of you have probably already noticed the post concerning reformations in the announcement thread, that's mostly to alert existing members, but that's exactly what I'm referring to.

Now, I realize I haven't specified any of these supposedly upcoming changes, so let me (partially) rectify that; Before I start, however, let me note that the reformation is ongoing and nothing is concrete at the minute, but I've got a good idea of where I want to go with everything, so it's a matter of settling accounts between Goose & I. That out of the way, addressing the actual changes; First and foremost, no, bumping everybody back down to the rank of Recruit or Soldier is not on the agenda list, so don't worry about that. What is on the agenda, however, is changes to the basic functionality of Duty (Referring to how something as simple as, say, a patrol works. You'll see what I mean.), along with a hierarchy reform. Now, when I say 'hierarchy reform', I actually mean 'giant sit-down where we get the ranks straight for a change rather than letting everyone suffer as recruits and soldiers for three months'. I know what you're thinking, that probably means 'lolofficers' everywhere, right? Maybe. We hope not, of course, but the possibility exists. Ranks will be changed up as time moves on, though, so even if that happens we won't have someone who is obviously incompetent staying in a position for too long. Furthermore, interaction between Duty & free stalkers is going to be changed to better suit the faction's general 'theme'. Up until now, I've noticed that most leaders are either a little too far on the 'We don't like you, shut up and leave' side, or straying too close to the 'buddy-buddy' style that you'd expect from Freedom. I intend to find a happy-medium, wherein Duty retains 'true' neutrality to most parties, and won't go out of their way to harm, or help, anyone if it doesn't directly benefit them, or someone who's helped them out quite a bit. So, I suppose you can still perceive them as 'assholes', seeing as they'll be hesitant to involve themselves in affairs that are not of their own creation, but I find this by far the best option for ensuring minimal occurrences of 'E-Drama', and it helps to keep the faction in-line with its ever-present goals. In Duty's case, that'd be studying the Zone, destroying mutants, and then ultimately destroying the Zone. Along with all the smaller sub-objectives that entails. This little 'reform' is all about changing Duty's identity, filling in the blanks whilst still keeping true to the precious little information the games give us. Finding the faction's place within the server as a whole.

I realize that some of this is all horribly vague at the minute, but I'm gonna' have to just ask everyone to 'deal with it' for the time being, at least until where everything gets put down into figurative cement. Like I said, I know where I want to take this, so it's a matter of settling internal debates, and then you'll start to see the real changes rolling out.

On a note that is partially related to all of the above; Duty needs members. Really, we do. Dedicated ones. There's still five slots open in the faction roster, (Provided that's up-to-date, anywho, I'll be checking with Goose) and there may be more available by the time all the changes are set up and we're ready for another of Duty's infamous 're-launches'. Either way, the point I'm trying to make here is a simple one; You want Duty to be active, to be a contributing faction to the server, go apply and help us make it that way. Two people can't do much, but neither can two people with another, say, five or six folk that aren't dedicated and don't care much.

[EDIT]: If you've got questions, concerns, or even suggestions; I'll answer/hear 'em, I've kept the thread unlocked, so post away. It'll help me get more information out, anyway. I've always been pretty bad at these massive 'update' threads, anywho.

That's all for now, you should see changes rolling out at some point soon. (I'm going to refrain from giving real dates; Anyone who's done this kinda' shit knows how awful that always turns out.)

Oh, and I cleaned up the forums. Yay.

Reorp

Eh, Although There is a chance of Promotion for some of the people that have been here awhile now. I don't want to get anything that is any bit too high. I would like to request to stay at soldier rank for now. I do not have the sorts of leadership qualities that I would need for a Sergeant or J-Srgt. I am not sure about S-Sldr either at the moment. Pretty much I would just like to stay as my current rank for at least another year with the same loadout. I Am completely sure that I can accomplish this. (Unless the tiny item hungry monster inside of me forces me to ask for a promotion.) Months are months, Years would show more experience in my opinion. This may not be the same for most other dutiers around this time.

darkzerxx

I really hope this helps us out for the better.
Ex-Duty-converted Monolith:|Draco 'Dice' stellem|Decease
Stalker/Trader:|Dracovich Raka|Alive
Eco:|Dr.Richard L. Vangraff|In zone
Stalker:|Scarler 'becca' Owen|Alive
Ex-freedomer-duty:|Levi'Fox'Krillen|Alive
Stalker:|Taylor 'trinity'|Alive
Sucker:|Hunter|Alive
Military:|Scarlet Stroik|alive

Bucky

Quote from: Reorp on 19-02-2012
Eh, Although There is a chance of Promotion for some of the people that have been here awhile now. I don't want to get anything that is any bit too high. I would like to request to stay at soldier rank for now. I do not have the sorts of leadership qualities that I would need for a Sergeant or J-Srgt. I am not sure about S-Sldr either at the moment. Pretty much I would just like to stay as my current rank for at least another year with the same loadout. I Am completely sure that I can accomplish this. (Unless the tiny item hungry monster inside of me forces me to ask for a promotion.) Months are months, Years would show more experience in my opinion. This may not be the same for most other dutiers around this time.

I'm not sure you're quite grasping it correctly. From what I know, the whole idea of adding more ranks means that J-Sgt. + Sgt. Equals somthing along the lines of Soldier and SSldr. Making the ranks of Rct - SSldr. a learning phase. Where the ranks of J-Sgt - M-Sgt. the regular members. Anything above that would be considered an officer whereas Lieutenant through Major are the ones making the big decisions. Ofcourse Lt.Col. being on the very top.

Goose

There will be no LT.C. Only Major, even if. I am considering making it a Cpt. and LT. leadership the highest.
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"