Philosophical discussion, GO.

Started by Spades_Neil, 19-04-2012

Spades_Neil

Let us start with a very simple question with a very wide variety of replies. I will proceed to play devil's advocate upon whatever that topic may be. (Unless it's just stupid, like defending Nazis or racism. Save that for the GVC.)

Now, we begin.
What is the meaning of life?
Is there a meaning to life by default, or do we create it? Is there a meaning at all?
What are your opinions on the responses of your peers?

(Remember playing Devil's Advocate means I'll question anything and everything you say and attempt to find problems with it, even if I agree with it.)

Khorn

Joke: 42

Not joke: Reproduce to keep reproducing.

And thats all I will say.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Khorn on 19-04-2012

Well that's a little boring now isn't it? :P Challenge accepted anyway.

If this is so, then what of mankind's conquest for knowledge and creativity? Why then, music? Art? Literature? Mathematics? Astronomy? Why do we ask the questions we do? How do lives who never reproduce or feel the need to even reproduce still find meaning within themselves? Surely there is more to life than merely having offspring.

Frostee

QuoteLife
noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.

/question

Plunger

Lent23

Once a human reaches the age of thirty and has had at least one healthy child, their life, by Earth's standards, is complete.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Gonztah

The meaning of life is to spend it.

Paintcheck

That. Otherwise the meaning of life is whatever the fuck you want it to be. The only "standard" in nature is reproduction. Beyond that do whatever you want.

Khorn

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 19-04-2012

If this is so, then what of mankind's conquest for knowledge and creativity? Why then, music? Art? Literature? Mathematics? Astronomy? Why do we ask the questions we do? How do lives who never reproduce or feel the need to even reproduce still find meaning within themselves? Surely there is more to life than merely having offspring.

I actually have something to say about that.

What you listed is a byproduct of beings not reproducing. You know something to keep you distracted until your next encounter. Also if you created something in your down time that others liked, it shows your superiority over others, meaning more reproducing for you.

Things that help keep you and your offspring from wilting away and such. Those that can't or won't reproduce are 'mutations'. Things that aren't meant to keep going. Unwanted basically.

Survival of this fittest.

Das_Uberman

Life is essentially matter that can manipulate itself, and in the cases of humans and other intelligent animals, matter that is self aware. Is there meaning in this? Is there a reason for matter to behave in this manner? Does it have a goal or an end? Is there a reason that you as a person, are different from the ground on which you stand, or is it merely coincidence? I don't pretend to know the answers. Humans are far from discovering why-if there even is a reason-life exists.

In all likelihood the meaning of life is far too profound for humans to understand. Until the day comes when humankind is ready to know the answers, we'll just have to make up our own. You can say life exists for the sake of existing, you could say that you give your own life meaning, you could even say life has no meaning. Until such a time as the answer is definitively proven, no answer can be conclusively proven false. However, they cannot conclusively be proven true either.

As a result, there are no right or wrong answers, just answers.

Madcombat

The meaning of life can be split into two things, matter and one other thing.
People are not wearing enough hats.

This is a trick question, "What is the meaning of life" we usually awnser this on a view as a whole and not on the view of a individual.  The awnser:  Everything. 

What is life?  The production of a life which begins from birth to the end which is death.
What does one do during life?:  Thats upto the individual, children, gamble, play, gaming, have jobs, everything which we are capable.

Combine the two and what do you get?  Life can only be what the individual wants to do, to spend there life on.  Think of life like a currency, we spend money on food and other items of intrest.  We spend our life (Time) on things we want to do.  And thats what life is.  A currency that is actually a thing called time to which we spend on matters of our own personal intrest. (Why do I have a holy aura around me now, what is this?)

Predu

That is a question that one should keep questioning and never to find answer to. Maybe one will learn something through inquiring it.

Plunger

Seems to me this a thread in which those who want speak about things they know nothing about.

Ket

What is the meaning of life?

To get as much as possible GEAR, in the world.

kthxbai

Post something serious or GTFO.
(°╭ ◡ ╮°)

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Plunger on 20-04-2012
Seems to me this a thread in which those who want speak about things they know nothing about.

You must be new to this.

Quote from: Predu on 20-04-2012
That is a question that one should keep questioning and never to find answer to. Maybe one will learn something through inquiring it.

Philosophy in a nutshell.

I actually have something to say about that.

What you listed is a byproduct of beings not reproducing. You know something to keep you distracted until your next encounter. Also if you created something in your down time that others liked, it shows your superiority over others, meaning more reproducing for you.

Things that help keep you and your offspring from wilting away and such. Those that can't or won't reproduce are 'mutations'. Things that aren't meant to keep going. Unwanted basically.

Survival of this fittest.

Hopefully I don't end up neglecting parts of your response with my own, but if I can properly sum up your final point of "survival of the fittest" then why does the world waste its time caring for those clearly not fit to live? People beyond their prime, beyond their ability to reproduce especially, or people who have never had that capability such as those born disabled. Some scientists believe the human race has stopped evolving. Why do soldiers go to war? Some have children, some don't. Is it really just about our own offspring? Perhaps instead it is more about the good of the species as a whole? Though if we take that route, we can go into another quagmire of questions about the real nature of human beings.

Quote from: Lent23 on 19-04-2012
Once a human reaches the age of thirty and has had at least one healthy child, their life, by Earth's standards, is complete.

So why not simply kill ourselves by then? :P In fact let me use this to further Khorn's question. What about those who have completed that standard? Yet, while they are fully capable of mating, some even still doing so, their meaning becomes diverted elsewhere. Is the meaning of their lives still necessarily about their offspring?

Anyway I want to get to Madcombat's response but I need to get to class first. Incidentally, Philosophy class. Be back in a few hours. Discuss and debate amongst yourselves while I am gone.

Plunger

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 20-04-2012
Anyway I want to get to Madcombat's response but I need to get to class first. Incidentally, Philosophy class. Be back in a few hours. Discuss and debate amongst yourselves while I am gone.
This explains so much about you spades, so much.

lolKieck

Mass Effect 3 Reapers. And yes, I'm serious. Question that Spades.

Killing robots killing sentients so that robots won't kill sentients.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Spades_Neil

Quote from: lolKieck on 20-04-2012

Challenge accepted. Look out your window. See the lovely outside world? Even if it's raining. Find the beauty in the droplets of water as they fall to the earth below. If the meaning of your life revolves around Mas Effect 3, what becomes of your life when you inevitably must move on?

Ket

Spades has lost his mind,  STOP HIM AT ONCE!

Last warning. Stop trolling the thread with crap posts or I'm banning you from posting for a day.
(°╭ ◡ ╮°)

Plunger

Challenge accepted. Look out your window. See the lovely outside world? Even if it's raining. Find the beauty in the droplets of water as they fall to the earth below. If the meaning of your life revolves around Mas Effect 3, what becomes of your life when you inevitably must move on?
You wildly misread his post.

Madcombat

Let me be more helpful.  You misread his post a little, he ment about the boys logic in ME3 that was about reapers killing sentient life so that Sentient life could flurish stopping robots like the reapers from killing Sentient life.  It had nothing to do with the actual topic question, it was just to do with ME3's terrible ending.

FIXED
A more friendly edit.

Plunger

Quote from: Madcombat on 20-04-2012

Let me be more helpful.  You misread his post a little, he ment about the boys logic in ME3 that was about reapers killing sentient life so that Sentient life could flurish stopping robots like the reapers from killing Sentient life.  It had nothing to do with the actual topic question, it was just to do with ME3's terrible ending.

FIXED
A more friendly edit.
And you apparently mislead my tone as friendly, and you still misread lolKiecks post. It wasn't about ME3 being bad. Spades, and you either need glasses or corrective surgery.

Madcombat

FIXED
A more friendly INFORMATIVE edit.

A more informative edit.  There, does that suit you?

AND how do you read it then Plunger, please tell us.

Plunger

FIXED
A more friendly INFORMATIVE edit.

A more informative edit.  There, does that suit you?

AND how do you read it then Plunger, please tell us.
He's talking about the ending of Mass Effect 3 where the Reapers explain their sole purpose in life is to exterminate organics before they make synthetics that will kill the organics. They do have a meaning in life, it's just hard to interpret properly, and understand.

Madcombat

So ugh, what I said right?