Is Islam a religion of peace?

Started by meetdadoom, 23-10-2011

jaik

Quote from: Madcombat on 18-01-2012
Did they really make a theory saying thats why they did it?  Well, just proves it then doesnt it.

Sure, they voluntarily convinced in killing 6 millions jews if we ignore the fact that they were made to say that.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

nKe

I was afraid if i might get punished for necroing this but...
Thank you for saying what i was going to say, spades.

Steven :D

Spades_Neil

Quote from: lolKieck on 18-01-2012
Quote from: Mr. Pink on 17-01-2012
Quote from: Spades_Neil on 17-01-2012
Quote from: meetdadoom on 17-01-2012
Jokes on you Spades, everyone knows that Silver is an ignorant racist and won't listen, have fun having a pretty biased essay on why SIlver is wrong!

Ah, but who am I really trying to convince? Both of us are set in our ways. My argument is for the naive newcomer whose opinion could be sway either way depending on who gets the better argument in.

Also yea, necro. Lock it if you don't like it. Not much I can do now.

I personally am against religion in its many forms. Eleminate them all, then they can no longer fight over idealogies that no one will ever be able to prove. I say fight over resources instead, at least there there's a legitimate reason to fight (And profits to be made). (Keep in mind this is from the guy who's life-goal is to lead the U.S. arms industry as Krupp had in Germany during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.)
Did you read what Spades posted? Religion is a scapegoat. NOBODY would be so stupid to fight over a religion.

Religion, mind you, also falls into much more than, "My God is better than your God." It establishes a way of life. That way of life can be positive or negative. Some religions enforce healthy, hygienic lifestyles. Others enforce a work ethic and self integrity. For Islam, for far greater part of history, I've seen many positive things come out of Islam that the modern world relies on. Would those things still be there without the Qur'an? The Qur'an claimed to hold scientific truths in it. The Qur'an says that there is no disease God has created that there is no cure for. It speaks about things as great as the universe and the warping of time and space to something so small as the dividing of cells in a new fetus. The Qur'an actually promoted scientific research, which is more than I can say about the Bible. If you like, I can dig up the Qur'an verses I'm talking about that have been later proven by modern science.

Without religion, science alone however still cannot answer certain questions. A world without spirituality at all is nigh impossible. Even without religion, it is impossible not to have philosophy and spirituality or else life feels meaningless in the very end. Even Atheists must maintain a form of spirituality whether they recognize it as such or not. A world without organized religion may be possible, though. Organized religion is what I want to see the end of. However, Islam is not organized (unless you live in Iran... and I don't like Iranian Islam >_>). Judaism isn't organized either. Neither of these religions have a universal hierarchy that Mosques / Synagogues refer to. Only Christians have that. It's called the Vatican. All Jews and Muslims have are groups of scholars who interpret their religion differently all over the world.

Sadly, in places like the rural Arabic world, those "scholars" are so-called Islamic tribes. No one else in the community knows how to read, so these folks can make up whatever bullshit they want and use it to fuel their real goal: Power. Those are the places the terrorists come from. You want to end terrorism forever? Instead of bombing towns, build schools. Google an organization called Pennies for Peace and you'll find that this idea has already had major success in places like Pakistan.

But anyway, back to the Vatican. Now, I used to be a hardcore conspiracy theorist. By "hardcore" I really mean "believed whatever the fuck you told me because I was young and stupid." You've all heard of the Illuminati, I'm sure. Well I'll tell you one thing about the Illuminati right now. The only conspiracy about it is the conspiracy its self. The Illuminati is just another scapegoat. Look at history, and look around you today. Look at the people who believe the Illuminati is out to get them. Look who their enemies have been in the past. It all swings back to Christianity. Look who's in power. Look who isn't in power. Look at what the Illuminati stood for. Look at what Christianity stands for. I'll tell you right now, if there's a battle still to this day between Illuminati and Christianity, the Illuminati certainly aren't winning. That however doesn't stop a few people from pushing that false information.

It's pretty damn clever, really. It reaches an audience that cannot be reached directly. I'd love to get more into detail on it in another debate thread about the existence of the Illuminati. For now, I fear if I continue for the moment I will sway too far from the original topic.

tl;dr Yes. Religion is a scapegoat. If we weren't fighting over religion, we'd be fighting over something else. Whether or not the world would be a better place without religion all together is debatable. Without globally organized religion (aka the Catholic Church) however, I'm fairly certain that history would have been far more pleasant.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Ragolution on 17-01-2012
Jesus christ I'm having issues neiling with this necropost.

Quote from: Tom on 17-01-2012
God DAMNIT SPADES. I didn't read a word of what you said. . . But I did see your post date. Son I am dissappoint.

Necroing is allowed if it holds sufficent valid information to be revived.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Bl★ck Star

Having a imaginative friend = mad
Several people having the same imaginativ friend = religion

Ragolution

Quote from: Bl★ck Star on 18-01-2012
More than one person having an imaginary friend = Cult
Several thousand people having the same imaginary friend = Religion

Fixed

Vortigoat

I dislike the Islamatic believe, Mostly because on  the school where i am on it force feeds you with muslim believe information...
Why would i want to learn stuff about diffrent religions...
I couldnt care less about religions.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Vortigoat on 18-01-2012
I dislike the Islamatic believe, Mostly because on  the school where i am on it force feeds you with muslim believe information...
Why would i want to learn stuff about diffrent religions...
I couldnt care less about religions.

I'm confused by your English.

Where do you live? Is it an Islamic nation or school? Or are they just being liberal and making you learn all the different religious faiths? If the former, it makes sense and is not very different from what Catholic schools do. If the latter, well, Neil with it. Better to understand the religions and ethnicity around you instead of being an ignorant bigot. They don't want you to be a bigot is all. :P Doesn't mean you will be if they don't teach you, but they do it anyway to be sure.

Either way having something shoved down your throat is very unpleasant no matter what it is. Shove enough ice cream down my throat and I'll get a brain freeze, and then I won't like ice cream. Make sense?

Interestingly, as I recall, forcing Islam on others is actually quite un-Islamic. Though the Qur'an understandably (and this much is accurate) DOES say to be careful about fully trusting non-Muslims because through history they've been known to fuck them over. Such remains so even today. Very hard to trust the west considering what we've done to the Middle East. We basically started the Israel / Arab conflict ourselves.

Quote from: Last.Exile on 18-01-2012
Necroing is allowed if it holds sufficent valid information to be revived.

Thanks. Also I respect your ability to at hear out my argument and/or at least allow the discussion to continue by not locking the thread.

Mr. Pink

I would be much more ok with the way things are going if all these conflicts were openly over resources rather than religion. Fighting over religion is stupid. Fighting over resources is understandable.
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Otto

Quote from: Spades_Neil
Now today all that's left left is a desert shithole full of bullet holes and craters thanks to us.

By 'us' I assume you mean the United States.  The Soviet Union was in Afghanistan long before us and caused probably 99% of the damage there.  It was once a pretty different place, blame them for making most of it one big wasteland.

There was also one more little bit you said about how Islam was busy "inventing algebra" and other things while Europe was fighting and persecuting and shit like that.  Yeah, Europe was pretty messed up then, but the middle eastern empires weren't exactly innocent either.  They taxed non-Muslims heavily until they converted, or just outright killed them.  Remember how the Ottoman empire invaded Austria in the 1500s, then again in the 1600s in attempt to basically decimate Europe and convert all of it to Islam?  Oh, and by the way, you know who their best troops were?  Christian Serbian kids.  They went to villages in the Baltics and took away boys to indoctrinate them into Islam and make them part of their war machine. 
Pretty noble of them eh, taking advantage of kids?

Muhammad took advantage of an entire people and sent a shit message -  They don't convert?  Bring them to the sword.
Jesus? - Turn the other cheek. 

It seems to me that Jesus was a man and Muhammad was a little power-hungry prick.

You can pretty much blame the shithole the Middle East is now soley on Muhammad.  He started a cycle of death, created a backwards society chock-full of extremists and bigots, and drove much of the world to hate an entire race of people.