Creationism vs Evolution

Started by meetdadoom, 01-09-2011

meetdadoom

Evolution vs Creationism. Probably one of the many controversial topics in America currently. The Controversy is should we teach children Evolution or teach children Creationism? For those who do not know what Creationism is, it is the belief that we were all created by a divine power. A god if you will. Evolution is the theory of gradual change of an organism's gene pool over time.
My question is, which one is right?
Debate!

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Chrono

I believe in evolution....because well, i'm an atheist. But putting that aside, Both are theories and will remain theories till one is proved, Honestly the evolution has a bigger chance to be proved right than the Creationism because honestly, today, who thinks that god created the human race and everything else

Gonna leave these here..that i believe are related :

Creationist Consistency

Thunderf00t -Westboro Baptist Church (full interview)

The last one is more of a debate between an atheist and etc..but they do discuss creationism alittle too

meetdadoom

Yeah I've heard of that guy Venomfangx. I think it is unfair to make him the head of the Creationist arguement. VenomFangx is even critized by the religious. Here is a guy who is the real representive of creationism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind This guy had a creationist theme park and even goes to schools to give lessons. He even had a college. By the way google search kent hovind patriot university and go to images for a good laugh. This guy had a book with poor grammar, uncomplete index, no page numbers, no title, copy and pasted pictures from science books and even copy and pasted a thesis from a science book. This guy is in prision right now and he has petitions to free him. If you watch one of his teachings, you would think this guy is smart. He is smooth. He talks fast and wheels out "facts". If you didn't know anything about evolution you would think this guy is right. This guy is considered a hero to the Creationists. By the way, Hovind has a competition. If you can prove evolution to him, he will give you $250,000. So far he hasn't given anyone it.

I am also an atheist and I somewhat follow Thunderf00t. Ever since that classy e-begging video I started straying from him. However, his video series Why People Laugh at Creationists is really good. 

Paintcheck

This is not even close to the "most controversial topic in America", is it still 1920 where you live?

The only people who don't believe in Evolution in some form are religious nutjobs who don't believe in science. They are too stupid to live and frankly do very little other than take up space astounding educated people with their lack of intelligence. Unfortunately there are too many of those people in this country.

In my opinion religion causes far, far, far, FAR more problems than it solves in this day and age and the world would be a better place without it.

meetdadoom

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-09-2011
In my opinion religion causes far, far, far, FAR more problems than it solves in this day and age and the world would be a better place without it.
This. And yes, this is still a controversial topic. Alot of states allow teachers to teach Creationism instead of Evolution. Luckily Texas  Board of Education is going the right way and has rejected Creationism as a valid theory of how we were created and should not be taught in schools. They aren't at Evolution yet however, they are looking in to it more.

Chrono

Here in brazil they only teach the evolution anyway so it's not much of a discussion here also i agree with paintcheck, at this time the religion is causing alot more troubles than solving.

lolKieck

Because religion makes only violence, but doesn't bring any hope to -normal- people.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Uberman7788

Quote from: lolKieck on 02-09-2011
Because religion makes only violence, but doesn't bring any hope to -normal- people.

Although I'm an atheist, I think that what you just said is incredibly ignorant. Religion can do good in the right hands, and does give hope, although false, to millions of people. To say otherwise is just being a dick and elitist, which is making us atheists look bad.

We are supposed to be rational and logical, so the rational and logical approach to dealing with religion is to let them live in peace and don't bother them.

meetdadoom

Quote from: Uberman7788 on 02-09-2011
Religion can do good in the right hands,

Religion doesn't do anything good. Good people do good things.

Uberman7788

Quote from: meetdadoom on 02-09-2011

And without any other culture they wouldn't have been "good people". Gandhi wouldn't have done what he did if he hadn't followed Hindi faith. Martin Luther King was a preacher, etc...

Knife_cz

Quote from: meetdadoom on 02-09-2011

It is true,in Bible they say Homosexuals arent normal but before they came-nobody cared.

Ket

I go with evolution.
No offence.
I don't belive in all the gods and bible and jesus christ and all that.
I mostly hear them in swears....not in the bible...
Actually. I never read the bible. Whatver. I said my point
(°╭ ◡ ╮°)

KingArthur

the world was created in 7 days get over it people

Paintcheck

We are supposed to be rational and logical, so the rational and logical approach to dealing with religion is to let them live in peace and don't bother them.

Well that would be great if they actually lived in peace but they don't. Al-Qaeda is the obvious example, as is the entire middle east. In the United States we have those Westboro Baptist retards, in France like...two years ago was it? there were riots about Muslims immigrating. Don't forgot the Holocaust. In modern history religion has done far, far FAR more harm then good. The ultimate irony is that the guiding principles of most of the world's religions are "Be nice to people and don't kill them".

Religion is a useless relic of a time before science. It's only value is the hope it provides to people and as a good way to teach morality but the lack of tolerance it promotes easily negates the value it had.

Jared47

I think that, religion must have started off with good things in mind, but over the years, people have become more and more extreme in the way they practice and display their faith. The thing is, no one can fully agree on what religion itself is. There are so many septs that it's impossible to discover the true point of it all, and everyone is yelling at each other over what is right and wrong, instead of actually doing what they originally set out to do in the first place.

Uberman7788

Quote from: Paintcheck on 03-09-2011

Well that would be great if they actually lived in peace but they don't. Al-Qaeda is the obvious example, as is the entire middle east. In the United States we have those Westboro Baptist retards, in France like...two years ago was it? there were riots about Muslims immigrating. Don't forgot the Holocaust. In modern history religion has done far, far FAR more harm then good. The ultimate irony is that the guiding principles of most of the world's religions are "Be nice to people and don't kill them".

Religion is a useless relic of a time before science. It's only value is the hope it provides to people and as a good way to teach morality but the lack of tolerance it promotes easily negates the value it had.

Al-Qaeda isn't a religious group, they use religion as a tool to recruit members. They are politically motivated, like any other group. Al-Qaeda is also a minority of the total muslim population.

WBC doesn't represent all Christians. Most people hate them. Again, they are a minority.

And the riots about Islamic Immigration wasn't because of religion, its because Europe has been increasingly racist against all immigrants in general recently.

The Holocaust wasn't religiously motivated. Hitler blamed the Jews for causing Germany's problems, not because he hated Jews because the Bible told him.

Also its clear to note that Stalin and Mao were both atheists and they caused 50+ million deaths. Both sides have their bad parts, and their good parts, so don't try to represent a minority to make the whole group look bad, or make one side seem superior.

Paintcheck

Don't put words in my mouth. If you want to debate something you do not start making up wild claims that seem to fit what the opposition is saying and start nitpicking the shit out of them. I did not say "All violence is rooted in religion". There are fucked up people of all sorts in the world but religion definitely makes it easier to justify. I also did not say "All Christians are evil and all Muslims are evil". Read what I wrote and don't start arguments about things nobody said. Obviously there are plenty of religious folk who aren't fucking retards. But unfortunately there are a huge number who are and I think that blind faith in a system that by definition promotes intolerance and elitism ("WE are God's chosen people, not you") is not a good thing.

If you want to play nitpicks r us then I submit the Crusades as being good for nothing, religiously-motivated wars. Al-Qaeda's politics involve setting up a theocracy that follows their narrow-minded, fucked up view of the Quaran (spell check). That counts as "religiously motivated suicide bombing" in my book.

meetdadoom

Fact, back then alot of cities in the middle east liked to make up stories of the god they worship. The reason why is to make themselves seem more higher and mightier so other cities would think twice before they attack and so they can gain a larger citizen population. Jeruslim made the longest and bestest story.

deluxulous

I believe that it really doesn't matter. I'm just along for the ride. I don't care how the ride got there, I'm just glad that it's there and I'm going to enjoy it.

Uberman7788

Quote from: Paintcheck on 03-09-2011
Don't put words in my mouth. If you want to debate something you do not start making up wild claims that seem to fit what the opposition is saying and start nitpicking the shit out of them. I did not say "All violence is rooted in religion". There are fucked up people of all sorts in the world but religion definitely makes it easier to justify. I also did not say "All Christians are evil and all Muslims are evil". Read what I wrote and don't start arguments about things nobody said. Obviously there are plenty of religious folk who aren't fucking retards. But unfortunately there are a huge number who are and I think that blind faith in a system that by definition promotes intolerance and elitism ("WE are God's chosen people, not you") is not a good thing.

If you want to play nitpicks r us then I submit the Crusades as being good for nothing, religiously-motivated wars. Al-Qaeda's politics involve setting up a theocracy that follows their narrow-minded, fucked up view of the Quaran (spell check). That counts as "religiously motivated suicide bombing" in my book.

So is that why you cited two minority groups, trying to make it look like everyone was like that?

AdrianSnake

Even though Religion these days seems to focus on money, as a Catholic I do belive in god and Evolution makes sense for me, Logically I cannot interpret how everything was made.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Uberman7788 on 04-09-2011

So is that why you cited two minority groups, trying to make it look like everyone was like that?

Your argument is shitty. "Prove everyone is evil or else there is no issue" makes no sense at all. 1 million Muslims who are apathetic with 5,000 who's version of the faith includes blowing themselves up in crowded marketplaces means there is a problem with that group's belief system.

I'm sure there were plenty of people in the Nazi party who weren't psychotic mass-murderers, in fact I would be almost willing to bet most of the average German soldiers were perfectly normal people. That doesn't mean the Nazis were overall good people.

swacko

My input is, Evolution is natural science, and should be teached in this subject, and if Creationism is going to be teached, teach it in religion.

Khorn

Quote from: Paintcheck on 05-09-2011
I'm sure there were plenty of people in the Nazi party who weren't psychotic mass-murderers, in fact I would be almost willing to bet most of the average German soldiers were perfectly normal people. That doesn't mean the Nazis were overall good people.

Hey man, not all German Soldiers were Nazis.

It's political party not an army. My grandfather was a German soldier in WWII. But he wasn't doing it for Nazi's he probably did it for his country or because he was drafted/conscripted.

Also, he was sadly, but luckily he was captured by Russians and held prisoner for most of the war and managed to get back home.

meetdadoom

Quote from: Khorn on 05-09-2011
Quote from: Paintcheck on 05-09-2011

Hey man, not all German Soldiers were Nazis.

It's political party not an army. My grandfather was a German soldier in WWII. But he wasn't doing it for Nazi's he probably did it for his country or because he was drafted/conscripted.

Also, he was sadly, but luckily he was captured by Russians and held prisoner for most of the war and managed to get back home.

Let me clear that up. WWII was basically a continuation of WWI. Germany basically got fucked over. WWI didn't end because one side won, it ended because the germans decided to sign a cease-fire because no one was going anywhere. The layout of WWI was either the two sides would make an agreement to shoot at specific times because no one actually wanted to fight OR, one side would use a new war technique and cross over 5 feet, then the other would use a new war technique and cross over 5 feet. It was a stalemate. Many countries abused the stalemate and fucked over Germany.
      Later Hitler comes in and starts a nationalist's party. Back then there were 9 parties. When hitler started the Nazi party, he was considered a joke. If you ever read his memoir it is just incoherent rambling. Later people started noticing that hitler is atleast trying. So he eventually won the election to be a chancelor. Now, think about it. There are 9 major parties. How much precent of Germany do you think it must take to win? Not a whole lot. The point I am trying to make is that only a small precent of Germany actaully wanted Hitler chancelor. Infact the day Hindenburger appoints him, his (something that is similiar to vice president) sends him a telegram that he just made the dumbest mistake of all time. People will be cursing your dead body for what Hidenburg did.
      Oh yeah one of the terms for the allies "victory" (treaty of versi) is that Germany can't build up a big army. Nowhere does it say that Mercenaries can be the army. Politcal parties basically had their own armies. So the point is yes, every germany soldier is technically a Nazi soldier. However, as you can see that it only take a little bit to become the chancelor, not everyone agreed with Hitler's views. (hell most people didn't. )However, almost EVERYONE agrees that the allied forces fucked over Germany.

TL;DR? Basically Nazis are a political party's army and every german soldier is a Nazi however, due to the reichstag having 9 parties, it didn't take much to become the chancelor of Germany. People agreed with Hitler that Germany got fucked over and they need to bring back their glory days however, most people did not agree that the Jews, Communists and the Homosexuals caused Germany's Economic Crysis. SOOOOO, IT IS ONLY NORMAL FOR A GERMAN SOLDIER TO NOT BE ANTI-SEMETIC.

NOW PLEASE DONT DERAIL THE SUBJECT.