The truth about Admins...

Started by Who Dares Wins, 16-12-2008

Who Dares Wins

Alot of people are crying, moaning, going emo and all that shit about how the Admins don't do anything, or not alot on the server (Well except Silver but you all just want to suck upto him).

These rants are pissing me off now, so heres how an average Admins gametime goes:

*You have connected to Steam"
AnnoyingSFtosser: "plx can u get 0n teh serva and giev me flags"
Emocryer: "0mg ur never on teh serva"
Forfuckssake: "some n0ob killed me and i wunt my marakov back"

*[Roadside Picnic] Who Dares Wins has connected to the server]*
Anothertwat: "dares can u giev me freedom flags plx"
Me: "Yeah hang on"
Randombastard: My tt wuz acceptd cn u giev me it plx
Me: "Yes, wait a minuite"
Thisissad: "can u giev me m0ney 4 barkeep missionz plx"
Cmonforchriststsake: "im b0red dares can u set up miss0ns plx"
Me: "Jesus fucking christ i'm giving people flags"

This is a normal session for me when I come on the server and after this wipe it's going to get a fuck of alot worse. I barely get anytime to run the Milifags and actually get myself some fucking roleplay cause i'm stuck giving flags for an hour. People like (I won't say it because they'll cry) really need to understand what kind of shit Admins go through from even before they join the Server before they make whine threads about them.

Admins want to play the game too.

MattyK

Quote from: Who Dares Wins Alot of people are crying, moaning, going emo and all that shit about how the Admins don't do anything, or not alot on the server (Well except Silver but you all just want to suck upto him).

These rants are pissing me off now, so heres how an average Admins gametime goes:

This is a normal session for me when I come on the server and after this wipe it's going to get a fuck of alot worse. I barely get anytime to run the Milifags and actually get myself some fucking roleplay cause i'm stuck giving flags for an hour. People like (I won't say it because they'll cry) really need to understand what kind of shit Admins go through from even before they join the Server before they make whine threads about them.

This is the problem with "ranks"
Namely if you had only "Admin" and "Superadmin" there wouldn't be as much hassle, consider re-opening the admin applications, and boost up the trials a few ranks, I've seen them RP, and their not the abusive type.
And as always, if one abuses or does something people don't like, Complain! And get that person demoted.
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Locke

Quote from: Who Dares Wins Alot of people are crying, moaning, going emo and all that shit about how the Admins don't do anything, or not alot on the server (Well except Silver but you all just want to suck upto him).

I know the feeling Dares, after a server restart, and the whole place is a chaotic wasteland of unflagged stalkers, admins get bombarded with so many requests, the OOC is flooded. Oh , and with you being an U|3ER 1337 Admin and all, you get it worse x10.

Were here for you :D

PirateX

Rohok

I've been an admin before, and I have run other factions/clans on other games. I know what it's like, but it's part of the job, and you know what you're getting into the moment you accept the position. It's stressful, and a lot of the time you won't get time to yourself, but that's how it goes. I know it all too well, and I don't feel guilty bitching and bugging the admins because I've been through the same thing before. If I can survive it, so can you. Honestly though, calling people emo, and shoving aside their complaints as "crying" isn't very nice, or respectful. This "crying" you complain about is to be expected, being one of the top dogs in the community.

::EDIT:: I don't suck up to Silver, either. I think he's doing a great job. But he knows, and everybody else knows by now that I WILL speak my mind. If I don't like what an admin is doing, or if one of them says something stupid, I'm going to say something about it. Sure, you blame me for bitching and moaning, but get fucking used to it, because this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Forgive me for being so harsh, but it has to be said by somebody. All I hear over the mic on the vent is bitching. Bitching about me. Bitching about Duty. Bitching about bitching. And it's EXTREMELY hypocritical.

MikeyTWolf

Quote from: Rohok I've been an admin before, and I have run other factions/clans on other games. I know what it's like, but it's part of the job, and you know what you're getting into the moment you accept the position. It's stressful, and a lot of the time you won't get time to yourself, but that's how it goes. I know it all too well, and I don't feel guilty bitching and bugging the admins because I've been through the same thing before. If I can survive it, so can you. Honestly though, calling people emo, and shoving aside their complaints as "crying" isn't very nice, or respectful. This "crying" you complain about is to be expect, being one of the top dogsw in the community.

::EDIT:: I don't suck up to Silver, either. I think he's doing a great job. But he knows, and everybody else knows by now that I WILL speak my mind. If I don't like what an admin is doing, or if one of them says something stupid, I'm going to say something about it. Sure, you blame me for bitching and moaning, but get fucking used to it, because this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Forgive me for being so harsh, but it has to be said by somebody. All I hear over the mic on the vent is bitching. Bitching about me. Bitching about Duty. Bitching about bitching. And it's EXTREMELY hypocritical.

Exact same thing I was thinking of: You signed up for it so stop being a hypocrite.

Only, you keep calling me a "Emo Whiner". And then everyone disregards me because I'm not you.

So anyway, only two ways out of that stuff. Leave, or recruit. Get both more admins, to give you more time to RP, and a co-leader of military, to give you more time to admin. Then everything's self sustainable and if you don't want to do one, you can take time out doing the other.

Actually, there is a third way. If it takes you more than 10 seconds to alter someone's profile/character by a few letters ("CP" "MO" etc.) then something's wrong. Either make a quick-admin GUI using any of the already available several admin SM plugins and edit one or start from scratch and get it done in five minutes.

Hard work never killed anyone. At least anyone who was cared about.

Rohok

Good words, Mikey. I think a few of our admins recognize this though, and I can name some really really good admins off the top of my head. One admin in particular took so much flak from us, but did something about it, and it was something positive too. Instead of insulting us, some of these admins took action.

Communist Panda

Like has been said, we need a few more admins that don't complain, or can't take - it seems that, a Mikey said, a few unnamed admins are being hypocrites. I've applied because, foremost, I spend a good deal of time on Garrys Mod, and more specificly SRP, and I want to have an enjoyable experience while I'm on. I wouldn't complain about all of this, because, I spend most of the time there and see how it all truly does go down.
Characters -
John 'Wolf' Rhinehart - Slightly leniant
Alexei 'Skulker' Tarsov - Complete jackass
Vanechka Koslovski - Rough but kind
Dmitri Aleshnikov - Trader, what do you think?

SnakeTheFox

Quote from: Rohok I've been an admin before, and I have run other factions/clans on other games. I know what it's like, but it's part of the job, and you know what you're getting into the moment you accept the position. It's stressful, and a lot of the time you won't get time to yourself, but that's how it goes. I know it all too well, and I don't feel guilty bitching and bugging the admins because I've been through the same thing before. If I can survive it, so can you. Honestly though, calling people emo, and shoving aside their complaints as "crying" isn't very nice, or respectful. This "crying" you complain about is to be expected, being one of the top dogs in the community.

This. One Thousand times, this.

I like you Dares, I do. So don't get me wrong. You're not one of the Admins I was really referring to in my posts. However, as Rohok said; it's your job.

It's funny, I've had an experience like this just yesterday.

I get a ride from a public bus service every day. They don't show up. I call, they treat me like shit. They basically act all confused, like "What, you need a ride? We're busy doing other stuff!".

THEY'RE A BUS COMPANY. They're getting angry over their own responsibilities, and how (as is life) they sometimes get stressful.

I hate to sound like an ass, but: get used to it. If your job is to flip hamburgers, you better be flipping motherfucking hamburgers.

You don't apply for a Fast Food job to eat hamburgers, and you don't apply for admin expecting to play the game more that usual.

If your job (keep in mind Adminship is a job, regardless if you're getting paid for it, it's a task that you've applied for doing like anything else) is to be an Admin, and to do Admin things (Give TT, Flags, kick/ban idiots, etc) you better be DOING those things, ffs. It's your job. It's your task.

If you want to spend the majority of the time playing, relinquish your Adminship. You've been a decent Admin so far, and I'm making this point for ALL admins to read. Not just you.

I've considered applying for Admin (lets all ignore for a moment my chances, please), but as a lot of admins seem to be forgetting, it's a job. It's a civil service. You're not applying for being a king or a leader, you're applying to be a servant of the people. To assist them, and help them. Not help yourself.

I, unlike some others, realize that's not what I want. I'm accepting of the fact that I'm not, shall we say, a 'people person' and would rather spend my time playing the game. Some of you need to start realizing that before you apply.

But this is just the lowly opinion of but one simple user, what might it matter.
I was brought into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood; and that's the way I intend to leave it.

Cobra

I see it this way straight forward you choose to be an admin there for you are accepting the responsibility to do your job and assist others with out fuss and if you can't handle it why did you join in the first place? I may sound like a complete ungrateful dick for saying this but this is why I never wanted to be admin I don't think I could handle getting bombarded by requests every five minutes. And if you want a break take a break no one is going to hurt you....

sturmeh

I believe flags are a separate issue that can be dealt with in the administrators own time, and anyone who annoys admins about that, is very lame.

However, when dm'ing or other minge-baggery goes down, and an admin does not wish to deal with it, then you have a problem.

Most admins are good with it, but some admins have the attitude that it is "sometimes ok to let players minge" which will result in them never learning...
Imak Sherman - Loner.
Andre Galdare - Bandit.
Hans Bluneshk - Barkeep.

Communist Panda

Quote from: Ѕтυям̈́эн I believe flags are a separate issue that can be dealt with in the administrators own time, and anyone who annoys admins about that, is very lame.

However, when dm'ing or other minge-baggery goes down, and an admin does not wish to deal with it, then you have a problem.

Most admins are good with it, but some admins have the attitude that it is "sometimes ok to let players minge" which will result in them never learning...
Quote from: cobra I see it this way straight forward you choose to be an admin there for you are accepting the responsibility to do your job and assist others with out fuss and if you can't handle it why did you join in the first place? I may sound like a complete ungrateful dick for saying this but this is why I never wanted to be admin I don't think I could handle getting bombarded by requests every five minutes. And if you want a break take a break no one is going to hurt you....
Quote from: SnakeTheFox
Quote from: Rohok I've been an admin before, and I have run other factions/clans on other games. I know what it's like, but it's part of the job, and you know what you're getting into the moment you accept the position. It's stressful, and a lot of the time you won't get time to yourself, but that's how it goes. I know it all too well, and I don't feel guilty bitching and bugging the admins because I've been through the same thing before. If I can survive it, so can you. Honestly though, calling people emo, and shoving aside their complaints as "crying" isn't very nice, or respectful. This "crying" you complain about is to be expected, being one of the top dogs in the community.

This. One Thousand times, this.

I like you Dares, I do. So don't get me wrong. You're not one of the Admins I was really referring to in my posts. However, as Rohok said; it's your job.

It's funny, I've had an experience like this just yesterday.

I get a ride from a public bus service every day. They don't show up. I call, they treat me like shit. They basically act all confused, like "What, you need a ride? We're busy doing other stuff!".

THEY'RE A BUS COMPANY. They're getting angry over their own responsibilities, and how (as is life) they sometimes get stressful.

I hate to sound like an ass, but: get used to it. If your job is to flip hamburgers, you better be flipping motherfucking hamburgers.

You don't apply for a Fast Food job to eat hamburgers, and you don't apply for admin expecting to play the game more that usual.

If your job (keep in mind Adminship is a job, regardless if you're getting paid for it, it's a task that you've applied for doing like anything else) is to be an Admin, and to do Admin things (Give TT, Flags, kick/ban idiots, etc) you better be DOING those things, ffs. It's your job. It's your task.

If you want to spend the majority of the time playing, relinquish your Adminship. You've been a decent Admin so far, and I'm making this point for ALL admins to read. Not just you.

I've considered applying for Admin (lets all ignore for a moment my chances, please), but as a lot of admins seem to be forgetting, it's a job. It's a civil service. You're not applying for being a king or a leader, you're applying to be a servant of the people. To assist them, and help them. Not help yourself.

I, unlike some others, realize that's not what I want. I'm accepting of the fact that I'm not, shall we say, a 'people person' and would rather spend my time playing the game. Some of you need to start realizing that before you apply.

But this is just the lowly opinion of but one simple user, what might it matter.

I agree with Cobra and Snake ; I personally applied to help the server excel. I understand I'll be forced to help the people, and that's ok by me.

As for Sturmeh, I don't agree with you. Flags are one of the main things an admin has to watch, and therefore must be able to handle them and pass them out if need be.
Characters -

Nines

It's funny, I actually applied for TA because I actually like helping people, but i havn't heard a word from any of the super admins on whether i've been approved or denied.

Cobra

I got a new idea let's have the admin on rotation? Heh

Locke

This isnt about if admins do the job, which in the cases I have seen they do.
The issue is that the OOC is so flooded, its near impossible to get the flags you want, and then when you are in the middle of giving flags, and you say "one second please" people start raging to you about admin abuse and ignoring. And dont even think about setting the wrong flag, or making a spelling error, or you will be called a noob admin.

Sickness

No one raged at me yet? well I don't think anyone did.. (Im just that l33t) :gunsmilie:
Rusty - Returned to the Zone

SnakeTheFox

Quote from: wallyroberto This isnt about if admins do the job, which in the cases I have seen they do.
The issue is that the OOC is so flooded, its near impossible to get the flags you want, and then when you are in the middle of giving flags, and you say "one second please" people start raging to you about admin abuse and ignoring. And dont even think about setting the wrong flag, or making a spelling error, or you will be called a noob admin.

That's not the case. I've been in Stalker before, for a matter of hours, asking every once in awhile for (insert X problem here, flags, TT, what have you) before realizing there was an Admin in game the whole time, likely alt-tabbed out of the game however.

That's unacceptable, I'm sorry.
I was brought into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood; and that's the way I intend to leave it.

Communist Panda

Quote from: SnakeTheFox
Quote from: wallyroberto This isnt about if admins do the job, which in the cases I have seen they do.

That's not the case. I've been in Stalker before, for a matter of hours, asking every once in awhile for (insert X problem here, flags, TT, what have you) before realizing there was an Admin in game the whole time, likely alt-tabbed out of the game however.

That's unacceptable, I'm sorry.

I kind of agree with you, Snake. We can't completely tear the admins from their lives, but they do have to keep us in check and make sure we're satisfied before doing more personal things.
Characters -

Who Dares Wins

Well Silver completely ignores whoever I choose for the Admin roster anyway, he only just added Streex and some others who were meant to have it weeks ago.

Locke

This thread just causes problems :|

MikeyTWolf

Quote from: wallyroberto This thread just causes problems :|

Incorrect. It highlighted a problem: Dare's lack of wanting to be a slave to the system despite his status as admin. And although it was done in a slightly offensive tone, solutions were suggested and brought forward.

So yeah, even if you did recruit more admins, I still reckon a GUI system would benefit everyone. All it would boil down to would be slight alterations in the flowchart for each command in a pre-made admin SM plugin, and you can fill out entire common rcon strings in seconds.

Eg: Function Category ("Player Commands") -> Function ("Kick") -> Players ("Knobby's Nuts") -> Run ("Admin kicked Knobby's Nuts")

to something like:

Same - > Function ("Add Flag") -> Function Type ("Trader") -> Players ("Sidorivich") -> Run

Cobra

How a about we try a system that puts the admins on a rotation so they get there own opportunities to play :)