General Discussion

Started by Andrew Weasley, 02-05-2014

Andrew Weasley

I figured we could use a thread for us to have a place to discuss random things related to Reveris or not.
Keep on keepin on. Lifes a garden, dig it.
Minecraft: Axxal
Steam: call_me_axx

DasHeadCrap

K I guess this goes under random. Anyone up for or think a Mercenary guild would be cool? I mean it's medieval times. Mercs were a common job for those without morals.
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

Syndraell

We need a secret society, like Skull and Bones/Freemasons.

Information is classified, see X for details.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 03-05-2014
K I guess this goes under random. Anyone up for or think a Mercenary guild would be cool? I mean it's medieval times. Mercs were a common job for those without morals.

We kind of have something related to that that will go up soon, like
it's the updated skills/magic thread.

Ragolution

Quote from: James Almasy on 03-05-2014

I tried to make one of these. It wasn't a secret for very long.

Noctilucent

oh wow, a merc thing, that hasnt been done every single time there's been an MC server or anything.
::)
A girls' tears are only to show to the person you love when you're truly happy, like when your father ridicules me or hits me with just enough force, I get so excited I cry tears of joy.

DasHeadCrap

Quote from: Noctilucent on 03-05-2014
oh wow, a merc thing, that hasnt been done every single time there's been an MC server or anything.

Even if so that doesn't mean that in a medieval setting there can't be mercs. Back then Mercenary's were common and used often. Many armies were composed of mercenarys simply because  it was cheaper than hiring troops full time. If they died no money lost, there dead... Although instead of a central mercs guild I was thinking of the ability to have multiple guilds that players make. They can compete with each other. Of course the amount of guilds is going to be based on server population and supply/demand. A small server can cope with one guild were a 50+ server may need 2 or 3 since at that point warfare will be more common. But I do agree that a central "Mercenary guild" wouldn't make sense and would be stupid and cliché
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

CoolFeerman

who the fuck made anne frank a tag

Ragolution

Even if so that doesn't mean that in a medieval setting there can't be mercs. Back then Mercenary's were common and used often. Many armies were composed of mercenarys simply because  it was cheaper than hiring troops full time. If they died no money lost, there dead... Although instead of a central mercs guild I was thinking of the ability to have multiple guilds that players make. They can compete with each other. Of course the amount of guilds is going to be based on server population and supply/demand. A small server can cope with one guild were a 50+ server may need 2 or 3 since at that point warfare will be more common. But I do agree that a central "Mercenary guild" wouldn't make sense and would be stupid and cliché

In the current lore there is a guild for each of the Ability corners.

Strongman's Association, Figher's Guild, Gentleman's Club that is actually Thieves' Guild, Wizard School+Enforcers, Ecclesiarchy, University of Genies.

They're overarching organizations that attempt to moderate rampant freelancers and rogue wizards.

DasHeadCrap

Quote from: Ragolution on 04-05-2014

Strongman's Association, Figher's Guild, Gentleman's Club that is actually Thieves' Guild, Wizard School+Enforcers, Ecclesiarchy, University of Genies.

They're overarching organizations that attempt to moderate rampant freelancers and rogue wizards.

I respect what the staff says but when it comes to a sellsword having them all under one single organization would complicate things politically. The thing was that in real life there were so many mercenary groups that if one fought for one side there would be others to fight for the other. I do guess you could still make a "rouge" group though. Maybe I just read this wrong?

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 04-05-2014
Quote from: Ragolution on 04-05-2014

I respect what the staff says but when it comes to a sellsword having them all under one single organization would complicate things politically. The thing was that in real life there were so many mercenary groups that if one fought for one side there would be others to fight for the other. I do guess you could still make a "rouge" group though. Maybe I just read this wrong?

You'll be able to have different groups, but those are just the... "moderating" organizations.

jaik

Mercenary guilds shouldn't even be encouraged by the administration because in case of mercenary RP, people just get together and think they're going to have great RP, when all what actually happens is fdso gah frrzlmpr blaaaa huygggnl asdf;lf so that they could earn some money. This money is spent on gear so that the cycle could repeat. If people want to engage in this sort of RP, then leave it to the players alone and don't encourage it by setting up official guilds.

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 03-05-2014
who the fuck made anne frank a tag

I was going to make a nazi joke but I should be Göring now. haha le epic fany nazi joke xDDDDD
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

DasHeadCrap

Quote from: Jake on 04-05-2014
Mercenary guilds shouldn't even be encouraged by the administration because in case of mercenary RP, people just get together and think they're going to have great RP, when all what actually happens is fdso gah frrzlmpr blaaaa huygggnl asdf;lf so that they could earn some money. This money is spent on gear so that the cycle could repeat. If people want to engage in this sort of RP, then leave it to the players alone and don't encourage it by setting up official guilds.

I agree

dylancotter

Mercenaries Meh... If anything people who want to do that kind of thing need to be careful and those who want to Hire them need to do it in a manner where appropriate and for proper uses e.g. Protecting Shipments from bandits in the case of small Companies, as guards at an event of some kind, Maybe for Shaking down other companies or raiding THEIR shipments or extra troops in an attack. Not the idea some people might have of "Kill John Doe who lives here for XXXXX Currency" and proper Merc's need to be quite picky with jobs like that. Plus alot of the money they get I would wager they use up on food, Drink and repairing their gear/homes or paying rent so the infinite Gear cycle would need to be counter balanced. But of course someone who sees merc's creating that loop could use "reasons" to rapidly increase the price of food and Drink to break the cycle for a day or two

CoolFeerman

The overreaching organizations are going to be for moderation purposes, they aren't actually guilds that everyone is going to be encouraged to join. People will make merc stuff whether we encourage it or not.

DasHeadCrap

Quote from: dylancotter on 04-05-2014
Mercenaries Meh... If anything people who want to do that kind of thing need to be careful and those who want to Hire them need to do it in a manner where appropriate and for proper uses e.g. Protecting Shipments from bandits in the case of small Companies, as guards at an event of some kind, Maybe for Shaking down other companies or raiding THEIR shipments or extra troops in an attack. Not the idea some people might have of "Kill John Doe who lives here for XXXXX Currency" and proper Merc's need to be quite picky with jobs like that. Plus alot of the money they get I would wager they use up on food, Drink and repairing their gear/homes or paying rent so the infinite Gear cycle would need to be counter balanced. But of course someone who sees merc's creating that loop could use "reasons" to rapidly increase the price of food and Drink to break the cycle for a day or two

Mercs are soldiers not assassins. They fight wars and protect facilities for money. They do not typically run around assassinating random civilians for cash. You don't see modern day soldiers carrying out assassinations you see specially trained people do it instead. Unless of course by "kill John Doe" you mean kill John Doe who's in that massive medieval fortress surrounded by trained guards and turrets for archers to shoot from, I think mercs would be necessary for that.
Just my two cents on the matter.

Ragolution

They way the overarching clan thing is envisioned is like the Hunter's Guild from Monster Hunter. They're there to help if you want their help but otherwise don't bother you. For the most part, the Guilds are for Clerical purposes, (or as far as the Wizard one, moderation purposes.)

Syndraell

Quote from: Ragolution on 03-05-2014
Quote from: James Almasy on 03-05-2014

I tried to make one of these. It wasn't a secret for very long.

Send me a PM on how you ran it.
build successes upon failures, man.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Andrew Weasley

I know everyone is doing their best but...

CoolFeerman

Quote from: Andrew Weasley on 06-05-2014
I know everyone is doing their best but...

sorry man, life gets you down sometimes.

Andrew Weasley

We're still running the server off of bukkit correct?
I've been on other servers that had just stopped running because they got tired of dealing with bukkit's shit.

jaik

It's still running Bukkit.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

CoolFeerman

I've been on other servers that had just stopped running because they got tired of dealing with bukkit's shit.

bukkit isn't the problem, I've just been dealing with some dumb shit the past few days that's been taking up a lot of my time. I don't want to launch if I know I can't be there for at least an hour or two after the server actually starts, as far as the guts/files of the server go, everything's pretty much done.

Noctilucent

guys being director of this server is kind of hard, it takes time to get a quality minecraft server.
just be paitnet~! 8)

どこまでも
積み上げるのは

この心

A girls' tears are only to show to the person you love when you're truly happy, like when your father ridicules me or hits me with just enough force, I get so excited I cry tears of joy.

Ragolution

Quote from: Noctilucent on 07-05-2014
guys being director of this server is kind of hard, it takes time to get a quality minecraft server.
just be paitnet~! 8)

どこまでも
積み上げるのは

この心

You're kidding, right?