Progress on the server

Started by matter, 08-10-2013

What should we do about the increase in technology?

Go with Asgatrave's idea and skip ahead something like 2-10 years
Skip much farther ahead and say it was just progression, more like 7-16 years
Ignore the sudden technology boom
Other (explain in the comments)
Create a new lore/backstory as Tom says below

matter

Okay so the mods (excluding James) had a discussion about multiple things concerning the server and what we're going to do:

1) Rules are updated, please leave any suggestions in the new rules thread.
2) We'll be using a world with crimson biome.
3) Whatever ores generate are what we're sticking with, if you need a different ore please buy them from your local storekeeper.
4) The storekeeper that has been elected as the most skilled and trustworthy in such an area is Pumilionis who, if he accepts, will be selling items not obtainable due to server limitations or other reasons. (like if the world got tin and you really need copper you'd buy it from him)
5) The lore of the world will be the same as the worlds before and you can probably recreate characters you had on the last map. (not with their items sorry)
6)  While hardmode items aren't going to be obtainable normally the mods will make exceptions for those who follow the rules and Roleplay well. So don't make a character based off a hardmode item or you won't get it, but if it's something that comes along you might get it.

It's being debated about how we should handle the sudden boom in technology due to the update and several solutions have come up:

1) Asgatrave mentioned that we had lots of engineers emerging before the server shut down so if we did a small leap forward the we could say that they managed to start making much higher grade tech in that time span.
2) We simply leap years ahead into the future and say that the world eventually invented these things in that time span.
3) We ignore the fact that the technology has changed and just start off a bit after the last map.

A poll will be put up with these choices and we'll see what you all want to do.

Things that are currently done:
-World is done thanks to a painstaking effort on James' part
-Lore has been posted, more to come later?
-Server has technically been tested...

Things that have to happen before the server comes up:
-HGN has to get a new server box as linux isn't gonna cut it, so they are currently working on getting a new server box and windows. It's been like this for awhile so the problem may be solved soon!

That's it people! We'll have Iseyu up in no time at all now!
Make me...

Tom

I feel like a fresh start would be much better than trying to recreate the same thing over again, now I don't mean tell people "NO YOU CAN'T USE THAT SAME NAME AND YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR CHARACTER A DWARF EITHER!" what I am suggesting is start off the server as if its a different timeline or as if the last iteration of Caphori didn't happen.

Edit: Plus too I don't think there is enough "New Technology" to justify a large leap in time
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

matter

Quote from: Tom on 09-10-2013
I feel like a fresh start would be much better than trying to recreate the same thing over again, now I don't mean tell people "NO YOU CAN'T USE THAT SAME NAME AND YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR CHARACTER A DWARF EITHER!" what I am suggesting is start off the server as if its a different timeline or as if the last iteration of Caphori didn't happen.

Edit: Plus too I don't think there is enough "New Technology" to justify a large leap in time

I'm going to add this as an option on the poll, although it'll be a lot harder to create a new lore than just working with what we used to have.
Make me...

CoolFeerman

Quote from: matter on 09-10-2013
Quote from: Tom on 09-10-2013

I'm going to add this as an option on the poll, although it'll be a lot harder to create a new lore than just working with what we used to have.

Uh, it'll be more fun, you have the chance to make it better, more interesting, etc.
Making new lore is sometimes, if not most of the time a good thing, assuming you do it correctly.

Dungeon_Lord

I think that the city should evolve over time to a more bustling residential/market place, but honestly a large castle is definitely not needed. Especially since if new technology to this point has been made the culture should be past large useless monuments or castles.
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

the_grub

The map is coming along nicely, not too long now
r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

shadowheart

I was actually thinking this over and had an idea. Caphori could have been a relatively isolated region that made it fairly difficult to get to. This could have been why the tech was so behind as opposed to the rest of the world.

Returning Caphori member. Some of you may remember me as Alexander Fornet, or Kilin Goldbeard.

Syndraell

Quote from: shadowheart on 16-10-2013
I was actually thinking this over and had an idea. Caphori could have been a relatively isolated region that made it fairly difficult to get to. This could have been why the tech was so behind as opposed to the rest of the world.

Well... A it's been said before the technology has never been too advanced. Iseyu is caught in a drift in time and space, so all sorts of things show up from different worlds and places... Might explain the boss monsters as well...

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Tom

So what's the new lore?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Syndraell

Quote from: Tom on 22-10-2013
So what's the new lore?

Still very WiP.

Considering refugees from an advancing empire assimilating everything into it.
CONSIDERING. As I said we're going through some options.

Syndraell

Things are currently on hold until further notice. At a standstill.
I'm waiting to hear some things from a few people, and I need to get the team together to discuss some major and minor points.

VonXeno

Quote from: Redbark on 19-11-2013
Quote from: VonXeno on 17-11-2013
Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 17-11-2013
Sooo... anything happening with the server?

Unfortunately, we're stuck waiting until the server is fixed. But everything is pretty much done on our end.
What does that mean?

We're stuck with our thumbs up our asses waiting for the word of god.
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

Syndraell

Posted a bit of lore.

matter

Updated with new info!
Make me...

INA7HAN

So what's going to be happening now with Starbound in beta (with multiplayer to my belief) with Terrarai server? Will it continue as planned for about four months at best of life before starbound is most likely released fully? Or will effort be placed into getting a a starbound lore story/characters and all that ready for it's full release if the beta multiplayer is unplayable for our roleplay

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Silver Knight

The current status is our server is linux and terraria does not support linux because the developers are pretty dumb money grabbing leeches, so until we get another server with windows you guys will just have to wait awhile.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Redbark

Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 06-12-2013
Honestly I think Terraria and Starbound are different enough we could just have a Starbound and a Terraria server. Only thing would be I would imagine a lot of the roster would be shared due to the games similarity.
Lets get Terraria on its feet and then we'll think about the two servers and how they're linked.
But it would be fun to keep terraria and starbound with the same lore.
Like humans wiped out fantasy races, or left very few alive. (Goblins, dwarves, elves, etc)

INA7HAN

Large Human Empire arises with mainly discrimination/racism against aliens and non-humans everyone bar humanity on earth is destroyed and Humans travel to the starts into a large mass crusade across the galaxy to dominate and conquer.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

CoolFeerman

Quote from: Redbark on 07-12-2013
Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 06-12-2013
Honestly I think Terraria and Starbound are different enough we could just have a Starbound and a Terraria server. Only thing would be I would imagine a lot of the roster would be shared due to the games similarity.
Lets get Terraria on its feet and then we'll think about the two servers and how they're linked.
But it would be fun to keep terraria and starbound with the same lore.
Like humans wiped out fantasy races, or left very few alive. (Goblins, dwarves, elves, etc)

That doesn't sound good. Starbound and Terraria are different enough where that just... doesn't work.

Syndraell

Quote from: longfallgloves on 08-12-2013
I mean joining the server.

Honestly man.

No one is good at roleplaying at first. When you start out it feels awkward, and you feel like an idiot for trying it. Time and time again, you'll try it more and more. Then you get used to the idea and you can pull it off like it's an everyday occurrence. Hell, most of the people who have roleplayed with me could probably say I'm not the greatest roleplayer, but I tap into the spirit of it all... I try to become someone I'm not, the very character I play becomes another side of my own self.

Just go practice, watch some D&D streams, chill out with friends and casually suggest it. You'll get it eventually.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: INA7HAN on 09-12-2013
Quote from: Ragolution on 09-12-2013
Im gunna make a starbound server
Thought you were making a Starmade Server?

He already did that.

Syndraell

Clearing out unnecessary posts.

Redbark

So what is the status? ETA?

Syndraell

Quote from: Redbark on 09-12-2013

End of the month is what I've heard.

Redbark

Quote from: James Almasy on 09-12-2013
Quote from: Redbark on 09-12-2013

End of the month is what I've heard.

Thats a lot of time for me to play starbound