Spelling and Grammar

Started by ~Ness~, 14-06-2009

~Ness~

Seriously, I have noticed that a lot of our members have terrible spelling and grammar. For example, if you wish to be a leader of a faction, you should have excellent spelling and grammar.

The current Military leaders deleted a post of me criticizing their spelling and grammar. That made me feel disappointed at what our community is slopping to. I believe we should put a new rule in for this. Such as:

If you wish to be a high rank or leader of a faction, you should have great spelling and grammar.

This is really pissing me off. What do you think we look like when new members take a look at our faction leaders and they spell like 10 year olds? They look down upon us, and we lose our population of -good- role players and overall members.

If english isn't your first language, tell us, and atleast try your best. Hell, you can use a spell check from google. We don't care.

itsjustguy

Ehmm...sorry mate, but not everyone here is a UK or USA grammar junky.I hardly understand stand English grammar.
"Where ground is soft most often grows, arise! Arise! Arouse! A rose!...a rosy rose ?

Locke

Well it's not for you to be a "Junky" it's for people to be able to understand you.
This is technically an english community, and if you want people to take you seriously you need to look proffessional. This doesn't mean perfect spelling, even capitalization helps out. For example, this post would look a lot worse in all lowercase.

well its not for you to be a junky its for people to be able to understand you.
this is technically an english community and if you want people to take you seriously you need to look proffessional. this doesn't mean perfect spelling even capitalization helps out. for example this post would look a lot worse in all lowercase.

Examples given

~Ness~

I understand that some of you are not from english speaking countries. I was on the server on friday, and I walked up to some new Military recruits. They talked in all lower caps, and it annoyed me. It was a bit like this:

"hey stalker, get out of here. if you don't i will shoot you."

Which was basically what they said. I didn't mind what the context of their text said, but how they typed it. It would look much better like this:

"Hey STALKER, get out of here. If you don't I will shoot you."

It is still a bit minge sounding, but it sounds much better, correct?

As I said before, use a spell check program if you wish. It can help you out, and it will help the reader out as well. Besides capitalization, I saw a Military recruit use internet speak such as:

Brb, lol, brt, cya.

I told him about his errors, and he fixed them. I do wish that the newer members read this and understand that they can't do this.

Renegade

ya i hat wen peple dont use propr gramr it jst soo anoyin  ^^

JK

I agree with this it is not just annoying but it is sometimes hard to read what others are saying so it takes twice as long to get something that should have taken five seconds.

Adding capitals to the beginning of words gives them a more important feeling

Bad LAZY
halt!
good SEXY!
Halt!

itsjustguy

"Where ground is soft most often grows, arise! Arise! Arouse! A rose!...a rosy rose ?

~Ness~

Schnell Schnell!