The Mosin Question

Started by Spades_Neil, 14-01-2013

Spades_Neil

Now I've heard mixed desires for the Mosin Nagant in STALKER. Some people believe it should remain a high tier, high power weapon because after all it was a damn good sniper rifle.

Others who have played things like Misery Mod believe the Nagant should be an entry-level weapon. Makes sense... The gun is old, and probably beaten up, and doesn't fire like it used to.

Personally I think it should be a mid tier weapon that serves as a slower-firing, unscoped substitute to the SVD Dragunov.

I don't like nerfing damage because it doesn't make sense for two different guns firing a certain bullet to do more or less damage. Sure some weapons have higher muzzle velocity than others using the same rounds, but the difference is negligible. But this isn't a simulation. This is a roleplaying server. I therefore have to maintain balance when scripting new SWEPs. So how am I supposed to balance it?

I can sacrifice accuracy for a cheaper pricetag. I can leave it highly accurate and highly powered, but then the weapon becomes more expensive because demand goes up. The question is what the community wants.

Post below for your preferences on how the Mosin should be handled. Should it be a cheap, poorly maintained but widespread rookie weapon? Should it be another average weapon for sharpshooters who prefer a Mosin as their first stepping stone toward a more reliable sniper of some kind? Or should it remain a high tier weapon that only the veterans carry around for its sheer power and accuracy?

Steven :D

Widespread & rookie.

Gonztah

Quote from: Steven :D on 14-01-2013
Widespread & rookie.
I agree with this.

Lent23

"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Rebel6609

Why start a new topic on this.. seems rather unnecessary.

Not so much "wide spread" but definitely a rookie weapon. Obviously it should have its downgrades from a modern sniper. Poor rate of fire, good damage and less accuracy than the SVD and a pain in the ass reload time. Its meant to be shit compared to modern day weapons.

<22:23:04> "Puffles": gofuckyourselfaggot
<22:25:12> You were banned for 5 hours from the server by "Cole" (For trolling)
Never in my life have I ever had to endure 9 yearolds calling me a banana picker, and then get banned afterwards for doing nothing wrong.
Promising Young admins.

irondeity

Ill need to agree with the aboves. It is indeed roleplay rather than simulation, but the Mosin is also the single most mass produced weapon in existence. Theyre everywhere, and theyre as cheap as a dinner at Olive Garden for two people.
Unaffiliated: Mikhal 'Sabre' Tokerov -:- Alive
Ex-Military/Spetsnaz: Andrei 'War' Mirkov -:- Alive
Military Observer: Victor Tokerov -:- Alive
Unaffiliated: 'Siege' -:- Deceased
Leoyid 'Rat Tail' Olinsky -:- Alive
The Tar Man -:- No Data

Lent23

Quote from: irondeity on 14-01-2013
Ill need to agree with the aboves. It is indeed roleplay rather than simulation, but the Mosin is also the single most mass produced weapon in existence. Theyre everywhere, and theyre as cheap as a dinner at Olive Garden for two people.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080704143238AAcBPSR
40 US Dollar equals
1208.36 Russian Ruble

Oh cool, I can farm one in three hours of playing SRP
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."

Ragolution

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Rebel6609 on 14-01-2013
Why start a new topic on this.. seems rather unnecessary.

Wasn't aware that there was a Mosin discussion thread. There's another discussion thread but right now I want feedback regarding only the Mosin.

Frostee

Why not just make a "Spades' Development Megathread" thread and put everything you have done on it.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Frostee on 14-01-2013
Why not just make a "Spades' Development Megathread" thread and put everything you have done on it.

>implying I've done that much

All I do is script SWEPs lol

Such a thread would only provide an opportunity for me to spam the crap out of the forums bragging about the trivial tasks I have performed. Unless you guys are legitimately interested in hearing what progress I've made.

Frostee

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 14-01-2013

Such a thread would only provide an opportunity for me to spam the crap out of the forums bragging about the trivial tasks I have performed. Unless you guys are legitimately interested in hearing what progress I've made.

Refer to http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/the-cordon/srp-script-updates-radiationscript-4worldscript/

Spades_Neil

Refer to http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/the-cordon/srp-script-updates-radiationscript-4worldscript/

>still implying I've done nearly that much work

I don't think you get me Frostee.

Khorn

Whoever does?

Tom

Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Ragolution

so yeah I think the mosin should be mid-level gun

because you guys don't know how guns work

why don't we make all of the guns balanced and not trashy?

like that makarov

everyone loves (see: hates) the makarov because of how accurate it is

Plunger

Are you trying to greentext on HGN.

Ragolution

Quote from: Plunger on 15-01-2013

Are you trying to greentext on HGN.

I'm part of the quote pyramid too

lolKieck

How the fuck can a Mosin Nagant be less accurate than an SVD? A Mosin Nagant's effective range is 500 metres and when comparing accuracy, it was on par with a Kar98, which in turn was considered a Rifleman's Rolls Royce.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Lent23

Quote from: lolKieck on 15-01-2013
How the fuck can a Mosin Nagant be less accurate than an SVD? A Mosin Nagant's effective range is 500 metres and when comparing accuracy, it was on par with a Kar98, which in turn was considered a Rifleman's Rolls Royce.
Because this is a roleplay, not a gun simulator.

Lent23

Quote from: knife_cz on 15-01-2013
Quote from: Lent23 on 15-01-2013
That is such a retarded answer Lent that your post gave me a cancer.
It's similar to asking how a Sunrise can actually have a bullet resistance of 30% when it's essentially made of leather and plastic. It explicitly says in-game that it has hardly any resistance to a meager 9mm (A caliber with notoriously bad stopping power, if you've ever actually compared calibers) Why do we have it as 30% then? Because it's meant to act as a game mechanic, rather than a completely 100% realistic representation of leather and plastic.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: knife_cz on 15-01-2013
That is such a retarded answer Lent that your post gave me a cancer.
It's similar to asking how a Sunrise can actually have a bullet resistance of 30% when it's essentially made of leather and plastic. It explicitly says in-game that it has hardly any resistance to a meager 9mm (A caliber with notoriously bad stopping power, if you've ever actually compared calibers) Why do we have it as 30% then? Because it's meant to act as a game mechanic, rather than a completely 100% realistic representation of leather and plastic.

He's got a point.

Even still, 500 meters? Most modern military rifles can already hit up to that range accurately if given to a good marksman if I am not mistaken. The SVD Dragunov was designed by the Russians with a new philosophy for all troops to be capable of long-ranged engagements up to 800 yards, further than any assault rifle can effectively engage at. A literal army of snipers. I think the idea was discarded, but the rifle remained in service. That being said, the Mosin, if only capable of hitting accurately up to 500 meters, therefore is not as accurate as an SVD.

Assuming I remember my research correct.

Regardless, so far it being an entry level weapon is being the vote. Provided, 'entry level' does not mean 'shit horrible accuracy' it just means it'll be balanced toward the lower end of the weapons. The Makarov for example actually shoots effectively in the new SWEP base, but it's still inaccurate for both realism and gameplay. My excuse for the Mosin's potential lack of accuracy is "the gun is old and doesn't fire like it used to." I might just make a second SWEP of the same gun but a sort of "refurbished" version, meaning it'd instead be a mid-level weapon with better accuracy and less recoil.

Khorn

Other than that this is for a game, how many people plan to have gun fights at that range of 500 meters? And without a scope.

Make them both entry, just the refurb be cheaper even more, but less accurate.

The Mosin is a cheap gun for anyone to use. It's accuracy will depend on who's shooting it.

Accurate but with a bit slow rate of fire and reload time. No need to put another weapon out of reach of freshly spawned stalkers/players.

Sharrock

Do any of you even own a mosin?
|HGN-STSA| Doomburger: Kay, bend over under that guillotine.
|HGN-STSA| Doomburger: ...
|HGN-STSA| Doomburger: Wait.
Sharrock: Homo
|HGN-STSA| Doomburger: Fuck.

Tom: Look at the roster
Doomburger: "110th Regiment Blood Company Reaper Squad Roster
Started by Doomburger"
Doomburger: get my name off
Doomburger: I beg you
Doomburger: I may have done some ridiculous things, but come on

Frostee

Quote from: Sharrock on 15-01-2013