[Another Poll] [Announcement] An Announcement and a Clarification

Started by Ragolution, 18-11-2011

Ragolution

http://www.youtube.com/v/HHfOejlvVsY&autoplay=1

Or maybe not. It depends on how you voted in that poll, earlier.

I've decided to go fully along with the 'proposed' medieval system. I'm not going to write big paragraphs in the system but I'm going to highlight some key points.

MISC STUFF I WONT COVER
No this does not mean Magic is gone. - Spells are still here. Aceon is still Fantasy RP. We're just adding another component to that without going overboard
Yes, this does mean we need another new map. - I'm sorry. 1.0.0 did this to us, anyway and I know you guys love your ravines so it seems like a perfect opportunity.
No, you do not have to make new characters - I guess that whole continent is scrapped. I'd like if you did, though.
No, beano is not in charge of magic. - Sorry beanbro.
Edvyn has volunteered to write an entire lore story for Aceon. I've given him the go-ahead and will obviously be filtering/editing what he writes and slowly applying it to the current standing lore.
All Territory Managment will be dealt with through the Factions mod - I'm still working out how to prevent in-territory spawning, but I'll do it eventually!

Topic: The New Setting
Setting: We've moved to yet another continent in Aceon. This time around, we are going to be RPing MANY MANY MANY years before Ermor, before the DEAP and before Steampunk and anything else we've been engendering in the previous incarnations.
If you need a number, The DEAP Era will happen in 150,431 years.
FUCK YEAH WE'RE CAVEMEN.
In this time, before Aceon became the tumultuous areas we've seen, it was a peaceful world.
It was also a medieval world. Aceon has suffered through many many "Dark Ages".
Far away, far far away in another continent we haven't visited yet, there were 49 seperate Countries with different names.
We will never visit this continent. It is 3 months away, by boat and portals do not exist there.
You or your long-dead ancestors are the people who migrated away from those countries (either recently, a long time ago) or you can even be a native, that's fine too. The 49 countries had EVERY ethnicity. Italian, Russian, Slovak, you name it, it was there. (Be reasonable.)
You came to this new continent, henceforth known as: The Soldanlands or Soldaria
The Homeland or The Old Country has absolutely no interest in the new continent. They have thier own shit to worry about.
When we start the map, there will be a town at spawn. This will be a special town known as a "Colony".
You can stay here. Or not. Take your pick.
The colony will always be there and is exempt from EVERYTHING I say in the next paragraph/topic.
You could also call it "Carebear Town" if you're familiar with that term.

Topic: The New System

KEY WORDS
CONTROLLED - Controlled by a Guild or Faction. The faction is in posession of that territory. Controller and Manager are usually the same group.
OWNED - Owned by a Country, Always. The owner is allowed to collect big taxes, change laws, and convict without a trial.
MANAGED - A manager has to station guards, can collect petty taxes and can change how things operate on the day-to-day. Managers also direct what buildings are built, where and out of what material.
ISOLATED - Controls itself, Owns itself, Manages itself.

Alright, so hopefully everyone has read that thread about Hamlets and villages and etc.
We're going to modify that slightly drastically. (especially because our population is hilariously low).
The guidelines will be as follows.

VILLAGE - Populations of 2 - 7
TOWN - Populations of 8 - 29
CITY - Populations of 30+

Now follow along with me here, because I confused Avol pretty fast when I explained it to him. I'll use an example from time to time.

There will be a number of Countries.
Each country will (most likely) be owner of one city. There may be only be one country for a very long time.

For each City, there will be a number of towns.
For each Town, there will be a number of villages.

For all intents and purposes, any Town within a reasonable distance of a City is owned and controlled, but not managed by that City.
For all intents and purposes, any Village within a reasonable distance of a Town is owned (BUT NOT CONTROLLED, NOR MANAGED) by that Town and its Owner (Its City).

If there is no City in range of a Town, it'll be isolated until a city pops up.
If there is no Town in range of a Village, it'll be owned and managed by the nearest City until a town pops up.
If there is no Town OR City in range of a Village, it'll be isolated until it fits a requirement.

Alright. That was the easy stuff. Still with me?

Cities are the owner of any town.
Towns are the owners of any village.

Factions can control any town or village through different means.

Controlling a Town

To take control of a town or village, you can do one of four things:

• Buy the deed to the town/village from the City.
  • Take control of the town, by force.
  • Take control of every village owned by the town.
  • Make the town vote to make you thier controller.

If someone tries to compete with you (IE Tries to take over the same town as you and gets 2/4 Villages.)
If another faction (other than the owner) ever controls a village owned by the same town you're trying to take over, (and already control a village of) you will be engaged in a "Guild War"

Guild Wars are pretty simple. For every village there is, you have a battle. This will be PVP and follow the emote style of RP. Each battle must be supervised by SOMEONE and have at least two unbiased spectators.
Once all of the Village Battles are done, there will be a Finale, where the faction that currently controls the Town will try to defend the town. (This will work like CTF)
If the town is controlled by the City, there is no Final Battle. The town has no choice in any of this.

REMEMBER! - People are not your serfs! They will leave you if you fuck with them.
Alternatively you can always try to recruit people from a town into your faction.

Towns will now be Worldguarded on Request. If you expand your town past the border the admins set up, PLEASE tell us or you'll be very sad!

Taking over a city works in very much the same way, (replace village with town, etc) except once you Control a City, you also Own it.
You cannot take over a city by force unless you own more than 50% of its towns and villages. (50% towns AND 50% villages (or more))
You obviously cannot buy a deed to a city.
It's probably the easiest to try to get a City to vote you into power.

Uhm. That's really it.

Poll is on several minor topics.

Ragolution

I meant to add this, especially since I feel extra bad for doing them.

Yes, this does mean Inventories will be wiped again.
Yes, this does mean Factions will be wiped.

No, there will be no spawning, creative, or worldedit on the new map. Even from me.

Demonizer877

Really good ideas Port, I like them alot. Good work. Although I'm not sure if the playerbase atm has enough for there to be a city and other towns/villages. Only when our server hits it's prime do we see a playerbase capable to handle those numbers. But I spose you can easily tweak that if you see fit. Overall I feel it's something new and fresh and hopefully will generate us a few new players seeing as I'm not sure any other decent rp servers do this.
Awesomeness is the best trait one can have

Ragolution

Quote from: Demonizer877 on 19-11-2011
hopefully

Yeah... This all relies on playerbase.

Honestly, it was either this or Quin's crazy job nazi.
It was shitty but it worked, I'll give him that...

ANYWAY.

What all this means is we need to ACTUALLY RECRUIT PEOPLE.
We.. we kind of.. don't do that. At all.

Mr_Squirrel

And we worked so hard on Alchon :'( . But this seems alright, it will add more realism to the RP and, I think, would add more of a medieval feel to the server. I also like how we get to keep our characters this time.

meldin

Quote from: Ragolution on 19-11-2011
Quote from: Demonizer877 on 19-11-2011
hopefully

Yeah... This all relies on playerbase.

Honestly, it was either this or Quin's crazy job nazi.
It was shitty but it worked, I'll give him that...

ANYWAY.

What all this means is we need to ACTUALLY RECRUIT PEOPLE.
We.. we kind of.. don't do that. At all.
with the city setup and all that stuff, you're looking at a huge player flow needed. Like i'd say 50 people on a day just to have someone in each city, town and villlage.
I don't know if this is gonna work....

Shadowking64

I'm kind of confused about the battle system...does this mean we'll never actually be hitting anybody?
Also, do our characters all have to be human?

Ragolution

Quote from: Shadowking64 on 19-11-2011
I'm kind of confused about the battle system...does this mean we'll never actually be hitting anybody?
Also, do our characters all have to be human?

Guild Wars will be faught through Emote. Meaning, yes, you will not be hitting anyone.
(Unless you agree that you want a non-emote battle. In that case, do what you want.)

Regular battles I don't care.

http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/locations-places/(application)-new-race-permission-template/

Feerman

MMmm Yes.
I'ma be a Warlord.
That is a veteran.
That kills witches.
And loves to hump Orcs.

Feerman

Quote from: Mr_Squirrel on 19-11-2011
Quote from: Feerman on 19-11-2011
MMmm Yes.
I'ma be a Warlord.
That is a veteran.
That kills witches.
And loves to hump Orcs.

I was kidding.
Except I wasint.
Me warlord, clan, I poo on u
basically I am ur bosssss

Mr_Squirrel

So when will the server update and this new system start?

Ragolution

Quote from: Mr_Squirrel on 19-11-2011
  So when will the server update and this new system start?

Whenever bukkit updates.

meldin

If this is taking place so long ago, does this mean we'll have to make new characters, or do we forget about tyvard and still be able to keep them?

Ragolution

meldin

meldin

I was think about how this is gonna work and Keep finding that this is gonna need a LOT of player flow for it to work. I've been trying to figure out how to lessen that player bas and this is what I've come up with.

What we do is get rid of towns and have villages directly connected to the city. Having town would be a bit of a waste since all they do is connect the villages to the city really. What could happen is each village could be made up of 8 to 10 people, with one faction controlling this village. It could contain basic trades and services, and could be run by a faction leader(lord). The city is the hub to this country (Like what Ermor was going to be, but it does not control every village entirely. The city would be neutral ground, where any faction member could live in. The city would contain more complicated things like A military, trading companies, construction companies, etc. The city would be ruled by a monarch, who rules in conjunction with the lords, who would also be the monarch's personal army. Occasionally, the lords would hold meetings to discuss different matters that were needed to be brought up. Leading the meetings would be the monarch, the monarch would have final say in all matter of the meeting. If someone were to go against the monarch's wishes, then that village becomes enemies with the king and all of the other lords who support the king. Lords who side with the Opposition also become hostile factions. War would be declared and it could be ended in two ways, it would end by diplomatic resolutions, or by battling till one side gives up.

As for the monarch, he would be probably played by one of the admins, since they have most power in the server. The monarch could be overthrown in two ways; People protest against the monarch's wishes and the monarch abdicates the throne, or he is assassinated or executed.

(I may add more onto this if i feel like it.)

geccoy

Feerman

Quote from: meldin on 19-11-2011
I was think about how this is gonna work and Keep finding that this is gonna need a LOT of player flow for it to work. I've been trying to figure out how to lessen that player bas and this is what I've come up with.

What we do is get rid of towns and have villages directly connected to the city. Having town would be a bit of a waste since all they do is connect the villages to the city really. What could happen is each village could be made up of 8 to 10 people, with one faction controlling this village. It could contain basic trades and services, and could be run by a faction leader(lord). The city is the hub to this country (Like what Ermor was going to be, but it does not control every village entirely. The city would be neutral ground, where any faction member could live in. The city would contain more complicated things like A military, trading companies, construction companies, etc. The city would be ruled by a monarch, who rules in conjunction with the lords, who would also be the monarch's personal army. Occasionally, the lords would hold meetings to discuss different matters that were needed to be brought up. Leading the meetings would be the monarch, the monarch would have final say in all matter of the meeting. If someone were to go against the monarch's wishes, then that village becomes enemies with the king and all of the other lords who support the king. Lords who side with the Opposition also become hostile factions. War would be declared and it could be ended in two ways, it would end by diplomatic resolutions, or by battling till one side gives up.

As for the monarch, he would be probably played by one of the admins, since they have most power in the server. The monarch could be overthrown in two ways; People protest against the monarch's wishes and the monarch abdicates the throne, or he is assassinated or executed.

(I may add more onto this if i feel like it.)

Basically one city to a country, then loyal (if given the need and resources to be so) serfs, that aren't directly tied to the city?
Eh. It might make things hectic if people just leave, and the main king can't spare troops to get them back/kill them.
Eh. Sure.

meldin

But you have to remember the original idea, there would be no "serfs" As long as you treat the minorities properly, you will never have to worry about them leaving you're village. Smart people will realize that staying in the village only leaving to go to the city is better than going off on their own.

Feerman

Quote from: meldin on 20-11-2011
But you have to remember the original idea, there would be no "serfs" As long as you treat the minorities properly, you will never have to worry about them leaving you're village. Smart people will realize that staying in the village only leaving to go to the city is better than going off on their own.

When I was writing my thing, I was thinking that.
I just left it out because I thought the idea was unneeded to be put in my opinion and inference.

meldin

But other than that what do you think? this is probably the smallest we could get it without totally ruining the the who point of it. If I had an actual map of the new world we'll be using I could kinda space out the whole thing better, but until then....

Feerman

Quote from: meldin on 20-11-2011
But other than that what do you think? this is probably the smallest we could get it without totally ruining the the who point of it. If I had an actual map of the new world we'll be using I could kinda space out the whole thing better, but until then....

As I said, I like it.

Ragolution

It seems too simple for people to make cities, to be honest.

I don't hate your system, Jagger but it seems exceptionally easy to take control of a city, now, where it should be a huge deal.

gamerlord97

Sounds very cool. When should the server be up, I have the next week in a way that I can play on Aceon.

meldin

Quote from: Ragolution on 20-11-2011
It seems too simple for people to make cities, to be honest.

I don't hate your system, Jagger but it seems exceptionally easy to take control of a city, now, where it should be a huge deal.

Well in order to create a city, the Faction leader would have to get permission from the king, he would also have to be a part of the king's personal military.
In order to take over a village, you would have to state that you are going to war with another faction. Then the other factions would take sides and there would be war.
Whoever wins the war keeps the village.