RTW (Creators of APB) Enters administration

Started by KillSlim, 18-08-2010

KillSlim

5 Years-worth of development and 100 Million dollars is at risk to be wasted and liquidated as RTW enters administration. 250 Jobs are at risk, 60 people working on another short-lived project have already been made redundant.

What caused this to happen?
Personally, I think it's global average review score of 5.4 / 10 warded away further subscribers. Bad review after bad review, multiple large organizations such as IGN, GameTrailers and Gamespot jumped on the reviewing band wagon and plainly took shits onto APB with lower-than-average reviews.

The Steam community didn't exactly help APB to prosper either. After several weeks of APB's birth the Steam APB community forum was full to the brim with damning threads reviewing APB as an unfinished, unbalanced, hacker-filled, over-priced, frustrating shit hole of the MMO genre.

Could it have been prevented?
If APB was more balanced, thicker in content and more enjoyable, yes. APB is currently the opposite: Unbalanced, thin in content and frustrating.

What will happen to APB and RTW?
As RTW is entered into administration, it's employees and the assigned administrators are currently discussing the future of RTW and what will happen to the employee's jobs. 44 of the RTW staff will be assigned to attempt to find a buyer for the company.
Personally, I highly doubt a buyer will be found. RTW has a LOT of debt to pay to EA, which aren't exactly going to be nice when they find their $100,000,000 has been almost certainly wasted.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

Mikhail

supposedly theres a large update coming in the coming months that is pretty much completely revamping the game from what I've heard.

KillSlim

Quote from: Mikhail on 18-08-2010
supposedly theres a large update coming in the coming months that is pretty much completely revamping the game from what I've heard.

You obviously don't understand what the situation is when a company enters government administration.
When a company is in administration, it means there is no money left, so no funding to pay the RTW employees to make the update, no funding to pay for the game and web servers and so on. If a buyer can't be found then the company will be liquidated and will try to give back as much of the 100 Million dollars back to EA as possible.

APB will probably be sold for very little because of the awful state the game is in, so it is possible a buyer will be found. However, this same situation happened for a similar wannabe MMO called 'Crimecraft'. A big failure, didn't last long, the game died and a buyer wasn't found.
Fuck, EA must be pissed. I know I would be if I just lost $100,000,000.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window