RIAA: Give me 1,500,000,000,000 dollars K?

Started by jaik, 09-06-2010

jaik

Quote"The corks were popping over in LaLa land", said p2pnet in the middle of May.

That was because judge Kimba Wood had ruled LimeWire infringes copyright.

Now it looks as though one Kelly M. Klaus (right) of Munger, Tolles & Olson, yet another RIAA posse, wants Wood to order LimeWire owner Mark Gorton to pay $1,500,000,000,000 for 200,000,000 alleged downloads, at $750 per.

To whom? To Arista Records, Atlantic Recording, BMG Music, Capitol records, Electra Entertaiment, Interscope Records, Motown Recording, Priority Records, LaFace Records, Sony BMG (?), UMG Recordings and Warner Bros Records.

That's one point five trillion dollars.

If you think that's ridiculous, bear in mind the labels were once awarded almost $2 million because Jammie Thomas-Rasset allegedly downloaded 24 copyrighted songs.

That's not all. Klaus also wants Wood to issue an order permanently shutting LimeWire down.

"As in Grokster and Aimster, Plaintiffs have been and will be irreparably harmed because Lime Wire will most likely be liable for more in damages than it will ever be able to pay", says Klaus in a legal document going on:

"Plaintiffs seek statutory damages under the Copyright Act as a remedy for Lime Wire's unlawful conduct. (First Amended Complaint ¶¶ 74, 87, 99). Where the defendant's conduct is willful, the range of statutory damages runs from $750 to $150,000. See 17 U.S.C. § 504(a)(2)-(c)."

And that's not all either.

The RIAA aka Klaus also wants LimeWire's assets frozen.

"By this motion, Plaintiffs seek a preliminary injunction imposing an immediate freeze on all of Defendants' assets to prevent them from any further attempts to insulate their ill-gotten gains from a future judgment. The Court has found Defendants Lime Wire LLC ('Lime Wire'), Mark Gorton ('Gorton'), and Lime Group LLC ('Lime Group') liable for inducing infringement of Plaintiffs' copyrights (and related state law claims). (May 25, 2010 Amended Opinion & Order ("Order").) Plaintiffs will be entitled to substantial damages, totaling hundreds of millions of dollars, or even billions, because of the massive infringing conduct for which these Defendants are liable.

What the fuck

Source:
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/40481
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Silver Knight

Pirates Unite! Grab some silenced weapons and silence those evil greedy corporate bastards!

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Predu

Heh. It's happening all over again. I remember there was a thing like this that one guy downloaded 10 songs and got massive payments to make, soon after a huge number of guys downloaded the same songs.

deluxulous