North Korea open fire on South Korean Island!

Started by Steven :D, 23-11-2010

Steven :D

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AM0YS20101123
FACEPUNCH: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1029810-Best-Korea-fires-mortars-at-Worst-Korea-Developing-Story

North Korea artillery fire hits South island

(Reuters) - North Korea on Tuesday fired dozens of artillery shells at a South Korean island, setting buildings on fire and prompting a return of fire by the South, Seoul's military and media reports said.

A witness said residents of the island of Yeonpyeong, off the west coast of the peninsula near a disputed maritime border, had been evacuated.

Yonhap news agency said four South Korean soldiers had been wounded in the shelling, the biggest attack in years.

YTN television quoted a witness as saying 60 to 70 houses were on fire after the shelling and TV footage showed plumes of smoke coming from the island. It said a South Korean fighter jet had been deployed to the west coast after the shelling.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN.

"People are frightened to death and shelling continues as we speak," the witness said.

News of the exchange of fire sent the won tumbling in offshore markets with the 1-month won down in NDF trading.

The impact was felt internationally, with U.S. 10-year Treasury futures rising and the Japanese yen falling.

South Korea's military confirmed the exchange of firing, without providing more details.

The attack comes just as a U.S. envoy is traveling to the region after revelations that the North is moving ahead with uranium enrichment, a possible second path to manufacture material for atomic weapons.

Updates:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM GMT - South Korean fighter jet deployed to west coast island after shelling
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM GMT - at least 200 shells hit island
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:48 AM GMT - S.Korea top presidential aides meeting in underground bunker at presidential compound
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:53 AM GMT - South Korea warns stronger response if North continues provocations
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM GMT - S.Korea's military sends message to north to stop artillery fire
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:12 AM GMT - Witness says residents fleeing S.Korean island by fishing boats
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM GMT - South Korean military confirms one South Korean marine killed, three in serious condition

Madcombat

US should stay out of it for christ sake...

Bl★ck Star

Just saw this in TV.
Quote from: Madcombat on 23-11-2010
US should stay out of it for christ sake...

Paintcheck

Bet this dies down in like a few weeks like that sunken warship did. This isn't going to start WW3, Nostradamus be damned.

And the US is too busy fighting in useless countries to actually do anything in Korea. Although this might get the troops in Afghanistan a fast track home so they can get to Korea if things get worse.

Madcombat

Either way, they should stay out of it, it isnt like its affecting the US or anything.  Let them deal with their own issues.  How hard can that be?  I mean, the last thing a country needs is to fight a war right now, hasnt the govenment discovered theres reseason?

irondeity

Well since we all know the US likes to be 'World Police' ,even if many of its citizens disapprove of that, the fact of the matter is we still have troops in Korea. Although the damage was done rather far from the DMZ it was still in the territory. Russia, Japan, Indonesia, and China are all prepared to take action if needed. Yes I agree our main military out of Korea (again), but at the same time if the UN decides to step in, then so be it.
Unaffiliated: Mikhal 'Sabre' Tokerov -:- Alive
Ex-Military/Spetsnaz: Andrei 'War' Mirkov -:- Alive
Military Observer: Victor Tokerov -:- Alive
Unaffiliated: 'Siege' -:- Deceased
Leoyid 'Rat Tail' Olinsky -:- Alive
The Tar Man -:- No Data

Bl★ck Star

Turkey

Fucking A map.. Fucking fuck.. do you know were supporting south korea? And china is supporting north.. Fuck man I smell a nuclear war.. WWIII

Another korean war.. Jesus. Is this real?

Chrono

It is..just saw on the news that they attacked a second time..

Chaos

Quote from: Chrono on 23-11-2010
It is..just saw on the news that they attacked a second time..
Maybe the US won't be fighting overseas this time :0 could be attacked.

Chrono

I think..as i heard that the us has 28,000 soldiers on south korea..but they wouldnt be involved in the conflict..

Locke

It's not going to be world war 3, calm your panties.

Paintcheck

Quote from: ㅎㅎLocke on 23-11-2010

This. China wouldn't dare to something as stupid as overtly support Korea because the UN would buttfuck them. This isn't an Iraq or Afghanistan we're talking about, the entire UN would actually get in on this and China certainly wouldn't want to deal with that. Plus I don't think they care that much about NK these days; they supported them during the Korean War because of the whole "Hey Communist buddies!" thing but I'm pretty sure nowadays they'd much rather be on good terms with the US than support a regime that pretty much the entire world hates.

Tom

Quote from: Paintcheck on 23-11-2010

This. China wouldn't dare to something as stupid as overtly support Korea because the UN would buttfuck them. This isn't an Iraq or Afghanistan we're talking about, the entire UN would actually get in on this and China certainly wouldn't want to deal with that. Plus I don't think they care that much about NK these days; they supported them during the Korean War because of the whole "Hey Communist buddies!" thing but I'm pretty sure nowadays they'd much rather be on good terms with the US than support a regime that pretty much the entire world hates.

:( No Fallout 1, 2 , 3 and New Vegas real life edition for me.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: Tom on 23-11-2010
Quote from: Paintcheck on 23-11-2010

Yeah, Same what I tought ....

Paintcheck

Quote from: Tom on 23-11-2010

That wouldn't happen anyway you live in Kentucky and there is nothing strategic for them to nuke in that state.

andrewhatesyou

I think its time a few million people die if a nuclear war starts. Earth is too populated.

STALKER RP
Lt.Ivan Kutz-ALIVE-Military
Vladimir Kutz-ALIVE-Merc
FALLOUT RP
John Serio-ALIVE-Senior Initiate

lolKieck

Hell, I think North Korea is becoming more and more suicidal. And what the hell would they do, only send some rokkits at US, which would get most likely destroyed by the American anti-rocket defense, then they'd get kicked in their arse so hard that they'd need a surgical operation to sit after that.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Paintcheck

If they launched a rocket at us they'd get the entirety of the UN + the entirety of the US military buttfucking them.

lolKieck

Quote from: Paintcheck on 24-11-2010
If they launched a rocket at us they'd get the entirety of the UN + the entirety of the US military buttfucking them.
Yeah, but they prefer to bully on South Korea, ALWAYS threatening a war, but not doing anything.
And as I said before, if they'd get buttfucked, North Korea would either die of the constant rape, or would have a surgical operation which would make it sit normally.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒