SRP back?

Started by Gonztah, 04-12-2013

Gokiller

Quote from: Nik3 on 15-12-2013
Nobody is forcing you people to play.

If you find SRP not enjoyable, it doesnt mean that other people cant have fun in it.
If SRP gets back up, I'm gonna play and have fun with whoever happens to be on the server.

I agree, but hey guess What? Its the internet lol, peoples be hatin 4 dayz!</<

Blake.H

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Cutch

Quote from: Nik3 on 15-12-2013
Nobody is forcing you people to play.

If you find SRP not enjoyable, it doesnt mean that other people cant have fun in it.
If SRP gets back up, I'm gonna play and have fun with whoever happens to be on the server.
I still don't understand how much clearer I can be when I say that I'm not against SRP relaunching. SK has every right to spend his money as he wishes. All I mean is for people to have reasonable expectations. There is a community that currently has a server with an established playerbase. Albeit their script is broke as fuck, they hold the majority of the players, and players would be hardpressed to start somewhere else unless that somewhere has something better to offer.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Plunger

This thread pretty much sums up why SRP isn't going to be successful if it relaunches. Five pages in, and the community is already being immature towards each other, posting gifs, soundbytes, and arguments towards each other.

Also, for the people claiming HGN SRP doesn't need to change, clearly it would have to since the server did die after all, so something had to have gone wrong. If I thought the playerbase, or what's left of it, could handle a relaunch I would support it, but in it's current state I can't in good faith give that support.

Also, why the fuck are people attacking KillSlim, someone who's been here a lot longer then most people, for actually trying to help the community? That's about as inept as you can get.

jaik

Quote from: Plunger on 16-12-2013
This thread pretty much sums up why SRP isn't going to be successful if it relaunches. Five pages in, and the community is already being immature towards each other, posting gifs, soundbytes, and arguments towards each other.

Frosty isn't part of the community, he's just here to troll and shitpost.

Also, for the people claiming HGN SRP doesn't need to change, clearly it would have to since the server did die after all, so something had to have gone wrong. If I thought the playerbase, or what's left of it, could handle a relaunch I would support it, but in it's current state I can't in good faith give that support.

So you focus on the thing that has gone wrong, but not setting about on a crusade to bring your enlightened passive RP(which yet still needs to be justified) here. The change must be in accordance to the things that have indeed gone wrong, it must not be whatever looks best on paper just for the sake of it being something different.

Also, why the fuck are people attacking KillSlim, someone who's been here a lot longer then most people, for actually trying to help the community? That's about as inept as you can get.

Eh? I don't see where an attack has been performed on KillSlim. His registration date means nothing if he skipped 2-3 years of SRP yet he attempts to speak about problems he simply doesn't even know anything about. As Killslim didn't even bother to defend his own critical view of HGN, I'm not sure how can you call anyone inept but yourself Plunger as I would've expected you to see at least that much.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Silver Knight

Technically, SRP lived for 5 years without going down and still maintained a decent sized playerbase. So something must have worked during said time. Besides a few flaws, change in the content\script and the major factor of compeititon and TnB becoming the spotlight for srp is what really put this SRP into disarray. We could have the best server in the world, but if no one knows we exist, we won't be popular so we won't be successful, this has been very much the case with all our servers in the last few years (Fallout, Crussaria), especially with SRP since duplicate servers have popped up so we are no longer unique.

Advertising and community (GMOD) pressence is very important to any asset's success (Product, server, person etc)

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Plunger

Quote from: Jake on 17-12-2013

Frosty isn't part of the community, he's just here to troll and shitpost.

So you focus on the thing that has gone wrong, but not setting about on a crusade to bring your enlightened passive RP(which yet still needs to be justified) here. The change must be in accordance to the things that have indeed gone wrong, it must not be whatever looks best on paper just for the sake of it being something different.

Eh? I don't see where an attack has been performed on KillSlim. His registration date means nothing if he skipped 2-3 years of SRP yet he attempts to speak about problems he simply doesn't even know anything about. As Killslim didn't even bother to defend his own critical view of HGN, I'm not sure how can you call anyone inept but yourself Plunger as I would've expected you to see at least that much.

Passive RP isn't a special kind of RP that I've made up, it's a necessary part of any RP server. It provides the server with longevity, increased character development, and an over arching narrative. If you can't see why it's needed then that sums up one of the communities problems pretty well. People place to much emphasis on action RP, or use simplified RP a vehicle for gaining gear. Both of which aren't the main focus of the server.

And on attacking KillSlim, your posts in reply to him were dripping in passive-aggression. Even if you didn't directly insult him, you did belittle him and try to invalidate his points by pointing out a registration date. I'm annoyed by it because he brought up some pretty important issues the community has and at least tried to find ways to solve them.

jaik

Quote from: Plunger on 17-12-2013
Passive RP isn't a special kind of RP that I've made up, it's a necessary part of any RP server. It provides the server with longevity, increased character development, and an over arching narrative. If you can't see why it's needed then that sums up one of the communities problems pretty well. People place to much emphasis on action RP.
I don't know where you're getting that I said it's special. If you actually read my post, you'd see that I only pointed out that it always had a moderate level of importance in HGN, at any moment of its existence.

Passive RP isn't a static server variable that you can just take from -10 to 30. You can't systematically improve passive RP like lowering the crime rate by expanding state security and law enforcement institutions. You cannot claim that apparently longevity, character development and an over arching narrative will be somehow magically much more better if we focus on trying to change something that's completely individual. The quality and amount of passive RP do not depend on the actions of admins, the rules, the script or its features. It's completely an individual matter, which is why we see different people at different servers, for example TnB playerbase tends to prefer passive RP, but outright shits on the canon, while HGNers are more critical of bullshit but not as active in passive.
What you're essentially proposing is a systematic mass-teaching of passive RP through...making more missions. You realize this has been conceptually tried in HGN several times before? I've witnessed such an attempt at FRP and we all know how that turned out. This is never going to work as you're trying to make people do what they don't want to do(how many here actually are willing to give up gear as the main aspect of character development?) and you will end up alienating an already tiny playerbase.

Quoteuse simplified RP a vehicle for gaining gear. Both of which aren't the main focus of the server.
Fortunately you're not the one to decide what's the main focus, because the 5 year tradition of HGN has always been about gear+RP.

Quote from: Plunger on 17-12-2013
And on attacking KillSlim, your posts in reply to him were dripping in passive-aggression. Even if you didn't directly insult him, you did belittle him and try to invalidate his points by pointing out a registration date. I'm annoyed by it because he brought up some pretty important issues the community has and at least tried to find ways to solve them.

Seeing as you're referring directly to my 2 posts directed at KillSlim, assuming you read them, I'd expect you to at least point out the exact part where I was 'belittling' him. Your lack of reading comprehension is rather terrifying to me as I expected something more impressive from you Plunger, because you were the one to attempt to validate his 'points' by claiming he's been here longer than others.

On a related note, I'd love if you addressed the arguments in the replies to KillSlim, seeing as you're defending his arguments indirectly and he never bothered to respond.

Cutch

I didn't realize the topic of the thread was "Cockfight: Jake v Plunger"

SK, if its really that easy to do, just put SRP back up so people will be satisfied.

-Blake/Last Exile

Tom

Quote from: Cutch on 18-12-2013

SK, if its really that easy to do, just put SRP back up so people will be satisfied.

More like "Cockfight: Jake V anyone who thinks this is a bad idea/anyone that thinks doing the same bullshit we've been doing for years is a bad idea"
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

jaik

Quote from: Tom on 18-12-2013
Quote from: Cutch on 18-12-2013

More like "Cockfight: Jake V anyone who thinks this is a bad idea/anyone that thinks doing the same bullshit we've been doing for years is a bad idea"

That's not nice. You're over-reacting when you think I'm opposed to any kind of change/update based on literally one disagreement. There's nothing else to talk about right now as the only thing that's been brought up by KillSlim(and subsequently Plunger) is that you can upgrade passive RP like a CPU(also implying that there's anything wrong with passive RP in HGN). So because I oppose the certain approach Plunger has for SRP, this automatically nullifies and invalidates everything I've said(that yet has to be addressed) on the basis that this isn't progressive enough for you? The notion that there's literally only one way to fix the condition of HGN's SRP is absolutely ridiculous. You might ask why am I so determined to prove Plunger wrong instead of proposing new ideas? "Plunger: And like I said before, whether you disagree or not, we will be trying it."

Might as well as drop it at this point since obviously Passive RP is a graphics card and HGN's current one is simply old and we'll just replace it xdddddd.

Rebel6609

Oh man, let me just step over all this.. and.. ah here. I found the Reply button.

*ahem* Now since I don't care enough to read the additional 3 pages of anger that have popped up since I last replied, I'm going to go ahead and just throw it out there again.

We can sit here and argue what the issue was, our ways of fixing it, and we can all point fingers on whos the blame, and why it won't work and why it will work and such, but we should just take a step back and evaluate things. Putting the server up will feed the urge to play SRP on a server that TnB doesn't own. However, It'll also be down in a short while after that because people will find a fault in it and we don't have a functioning team of active admins and devs to keep things going. Our playerbase will achieve victory status within a short time, and it'll be what it was before it went down last time.

HGN is comprised of cliques that play together and when you try to mix them with passive, it turns into an awkward stare at each other and fuck around in TS hour. Which in turn makes it hard for RP to actually happen, and it makes it difficult for new people to become apart of the community. When we don't get new people, it gets old.

Try to understand that I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this situation here, I'm only taking in account history.

<22:23:04> "Puffles": gofuckyourselfaggot
<22:25:12> You were banned for 5 hours from the server by "Cole" (For trolling)
Never in my life have I ever had to endure 9 yearolds calling me a banana picker, and then get banned afterwards for doing nothing wrong.
Promising Young admins.

Cutch

Quote from: Rebel6609 on 18-12-2013
Oh man, let me just step over all this.. and.. ah here. I found the Reply button.

*ahem* Now since I don't care enough to read the additional 3 pages of anger that have popped up since I last replied, I'm going to go ahead and just throw it out there again.

We can sit here and argue what the issue was, our ways of fixing it, and we can all point fingers on whos the blame, and why it won't work and why it will work and such, but we should just take a step back and evaluate things. Putting the server up will feed the urge to play SRP on a server that TnB doesn't own. However, It'll also be down in a short while after that because people will find a fault in it and we don't have a functioning team of active admins and devs to keep things going. Our playerbase will achieve victory status within a short time, and it'll be what it was before it went down last time.

HGN is comprised of cliques that play together and when you try to mix them with passive, it turns into an awkward stare at each other and fuck around in TS hour. Which in turn makes it hard for RP to actually happen, and it makes it difficult for new people to become apart of the community. When we don't get new people, it gets old.

Try to understand that I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this situation here, I'm only taking in account history.
Well said.

-Blake/Last Exile

Duranblackraven

Going the same route and not even going to bother with a lot of the 'wha-wha', so excuse me if I mirror something already said.

When I had first joined HGN and started playing on the SRP server it was a time when the script was barely together. As such, if you didn't take exact measures, or if the server just fucking hated you, you'd lose your equipped items or just your entire inventory.

As the script got better, we received real functions like inventory saving, new models for everything, a betting inventory system, ect.

I noticed a shift in mentality somewhere in the middle of my time here. Where losing your items was no longer laughed off as 'part of the experience'. More emphasis was put on protecting the 'common' players items, and their character. To the point taking something from someone was a monumental task. Hell you had to basically go through a pre-flight check just to make sure you could shoot someone -in the Zone-. These new rules just reinforced the mentality that everyone and everything was special and should be handled with the care you'd give to a rare piece of pottery.

Whatever you change game play wise isn't going to help anything with the mentality of the players that think they should be untouchable, and the administration that would make sure they also felt that way to not 'hurt their feelings'. Player retention at the cost of everything else became the modus operandi and as you can see the servers died. Repeatably.

Until an administration is brought in that can actually work together to help change the mentality of the player base, or at the least keep it in check, without people starting behind-the-scenes(Which never stayed there, be honest) drama that is never put in check itself, the server -will- continue to be brought up and go back down over and over again.

Rebel6609

Ah, Duran. Didn't think you'd still remember your account info! Though yes, what he stated is truth. Nothing will change unless capable people are put in place, and changes are made that stick. At this point, you're trying to put a square into a circle, and instead of picking up a different shape, you're just trying it at different angles.

<22:23:04> "Puffles": gofuckyourselfaggot
<22:25:12> You were banned for 5 hours from the server by "Cole" (For trolling)
Never in my life have I ever had to endure 9 yearolds calling me a banana picker, and then get banned afterwards for doing nothing wrong.
Promising Young admins.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Duranblackraven on 19-12-2013

When I had first joined HGN and started playing on the SRP server it was a time when the script was barely together. As such, if you didn't take exact measures, or if the server just fucking hated you, you'd lose your equipped items or just your entire inventory.

I noticed a shift in mentality somewhere in the middle of my time here. Where losing your items was no longer laughed off as 'part of the experience'. More emphasis was put on protecting the 'common' players items, and their character. To the point taking something from someone was a monumental task.

Whatever you change game play wise isn't going to help anything with the mentality of the players that think they should be untouchable, and the administration that would make sure they also felt that way to not 'hurt their feelings'. Player retention at the cost of everything else became the modus operandi and as you can see the servers died. Repeatably.

In 2009 when Cakescript barely did anything right other than having different ways to talk and /me everything was better because gear was irrelevant.

There's an inverse relationship between RP quality and script quality and while it is entirely possible to have things work with "fragile" players (DayZ's inexplicable popularity proves that people have no problems getting ganked repeatedly nonstop if they can recover quickly...at least I assume they can recover quickly, having never played DayZ and having no desire to play it I don't know for sure) it requires a more advanced script to let players recover without needing to be babysat by admins 24/7. Current Gmod scripts are at the exact level of competence as to be incredibly off-putting.

For the most part scripts are good at inventories and managing individuals but cannot manage entire servers. As far as I know (granted this knowledge is like a year old so maybe I'm entirely wrong) there are no scripts dynamically generating things for players to do. That means you have to rely on admins to set up everything related to getting the all-mighty gear. Admins who probably don't have the time or energy to do that 24/7 like a computer can. This makes gear especially precious because no only does the player need to endure some sort of grind to acquire it, but the grind is not a known path. If we look at an MMORPG which is also almost entirely reliant on gear progression to keep people playing, people keep playing because they know what they have to do to get the gear. They can have goals, they have some idea of how long it will take them to achieve those goals, and they can tell when they are making progress towards those goals.

Gmod does not have that. Yes there's a currency system but you can only buy from other human traders and those human players can set the prices to be whatever they want (though HGN was usually pretty good at traders not jacking prices up absurdly high from what I remember despite the relative scarcity of them and NPC traders could also remove that bit of uncertainty but that's not at all the biggest problem here) so there's a feeling of uncertainty there. Then of course currency is incredibly hard to come by because it's reliant on admins who have their own lives to live and cannot always guarantee content at a timely matter. So you try to fix that with paychecks, but that doesn't encourage participation in the game or roleplay because you get the paycheck regardless of if you're doing anything or not which makes the gear grind not very fun.

So in Gmod players can have a set goal ("I want this piece of gear") but they don't know how achievable that goal is unless they were content to just grind paychecks (which is boring for everyone involved). Progress is usually in the forward direction but unlike most other games in Gmod you can lose your items. So you might grind shit out for a week, get your shiny deathlaser 2000, then get ganked by a bunch of oldfag bandits and lose it 10 minutes later. If you can't be secure in your property, why the fuck would you waste so much time acquiring it, especially when the only reliable way of advancement is literally to do nothing and collect paychecks?

Gmod is incredibly reliant on players making their own stories because that's the only way the grind is tolerable. That's why Plunger and others (including me) believe that passive is so important. Without passive there is literally no point in playing because I could spend 5 hours sitting on Gmod praying an event or an admin comes on so I can earn my shiny loot, or I can spend 5 hours playing Borderlands 2 and get all manner of shiny loot in the same 5 hours without being reliant on somebody else.

If you make your gamemode reliant on loot, then there needs to be a known way to acquire loot. A script that dynamically generated missions or spawned stuff would help. Players that knew how to passive and weren't entirely driven by loot would also help because they would be forgiving of the lack of things to do if they could make their own fun.

Putting the server up will feed the urge to play SRP on a server that TnB doesn't own. However, It'll also be down in a short while after that because people will find a fault in it and we don't have a functioning team of active admins and devs to keep things going. Our playerbase will achieve victory status within a short time, and it'll be what it was before it went down last time.

That. Everyone here is saying they want it back so bad, but it's not going to be any different from the last 47 times because there's just no way for admins to keep up with the demand for gear by themselves and the script isn't of any help.

Gokiller

Mhmm, Gear,gear,gear,gear,gear. All about ze Gear

Silver Knight

Soooo, if i put srp up tomorrow, who would play?

jaik

Quote from: Tanako on 02-05-2014

You could have all of my disappointment if you did do the same kind of thing over again.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Jake on 03-05-2014

You could have all of my disappointment if you did do the same kind of thing over again.

Script works fine, same bugs back then are still present like the gui for sprint involves just - values as it uses stages.

I have tomorrow off so i can commit some time to bug fixes.

Zstan

ye

Blackflunk

Nah, haven't got the time. I feel like I gave it too many shots already.
Ladies, please.

Predu

I'm not going to say no or yes. But, you can basically see what the playerbase has shrunk to by just looking at the people who replied in this topic: the same people as before. If that is a sufficient playerbase to start up and maintain SRP again then , hell, I'm not going to stop you. But not being too pessimistic about it, SRP didn't start with a playerbase as large as some of the most popular RP server hosters (well I wasn't there on the starting day but I'm quite sure of this).

Oh, and hi HGN.

Zen

I made a lot of great suggestions in teamspeak as to what the next roleplay should be. I think it should be Counter Strike Global Offensive roleplay, I mean you could have Terrorists and Counter Terrorists and also Civilians which could act as hostages and there is great PVP potentional. Really I think that you should take that idea on board and tell me what you think because I think that it is a great idea. Oh and if that fails we could do Far cry 3 roleplay because that is really goooooodd!

Knife_cz

Quote from: Zen on 04-05-2014
I made a lot of great suggestions in teamspeak as to what the next roleplay should be. I think it should be Counter Strike Global Offensive roleplay, I mean you could have Terrorists and Counter Terrorists and also Civilians which could act as hostages and there is great PVP potentional. Really I think that you should take that idea on board and tell me what you think because I think that it is a great idea. Oh and if that fails we could do Far cry 3 roleplay because that is really goooooodd!
eh
heh
ehehheheh
AHAHHAHHA
OAHAHAOHAHAHAHAHAH