Music of a Generation: How musical taste is developed.

Started by Jazer, 18-08-2010

Jazer

I was inspired to write this due to every generation  having a habit of being incomprehensibly ignorant of the next generation's music. I will try to explain this nature the best way I can.

Have you ever felt uncomfortable about something? Ever worn a pair of shoes that don't fit you quite right for a day? Do you ever remember learning how to ride a bike? Has any event you have been involved in made you feel uncomfortable, dissatisfied, or possibly aggravated and annoyed? Emotions caused by these things have a lot to do with psychology. It dictates everything we like and hate, and how we justify our opinions. Psychology also dictates our taste in music, the main subject I will be covering.  

What does generations of people have to do with this? Lets put it this way. A generation, which is a population of peers with similar ages, influence each other on the type of music they listen to. Is this an absolute rule? No, but it definitely influences what kind of music the majority of the generation listens to. Most importantly, your generation has a lot of influence on your psychology.

People who understand even the slightest bit of what music theory is will know that music has a very few basic minimum requirements; pitch and rhythm. The first requirement is accomplished with every sound made in the universe. Whether it's tapping your finger, or the sound made when you kicked that baby across the room the other day (don't deny it). Long story short, every sound has pitch. Beyond those two requirements, there is virtually nothing that justifies if the music is "bad" or "good". There isn't even perhaps a way to justify whether, dare I say it, Justin Bieber sounds bad or good.  

Despite what we have covered, generations will still inherit the same ignorance the the previous generation had. Perhaps one day we will evolve and be born with common knowledge of everything I said above, but in the meantime you will need to have the will to learn it. From here, I want to point out that a generation will commonly hate/dislike the next generation's music. Why is this? This is because the next generation will likely invent a type of music that the previous generation is unfamiliar with, and as I have talked about before, unfamiliarity causes negative emotions.

How does a new type of music start? If new music is rejected because it's unfamiliar to the psyche of a generation, how does it ever take a foothold? This is called conformity. Even if someone finds a type of music distasteful, if their friends, or just enough people like the music, that person will conform and thrust themselves into it. People who have experienced this situation will eventually like the music and come to understand that taste in music is developed.

I will finish this very soon.  

Wings

I agree, Everyone needs to listen to the music
they like; Not what everyone else likes. I personally hate rap, but other like it; so
I respect them. Very nice debate.

Jazer

Yes Wings, that is one point I am making.

The main lesson to be learned from this lecture is not be an ignorant cunt who is just part of what each generation typically does, which is hate on the newer generation's musical taste. For example, people who grew up in the 60s and 70s absolutely hated the 80s generation of music. The mainstream thought bands like Metallica was just a bunch of noise and yelling. Today, Metallica is one of the biggest selling metal bands. It is somewhat of a dry example but deal with it.

So, the next time you think some kind of music is "shit", reconsider it. You might just be calling it that because you are unfamiliar with it.

Bl★ck Star

Well Iam listening to Japanese music, not to be different, just because I like the song text's there so emotional and mostly love songs.

I don't like Hip Hop but I still sometimes listen to it when other people hear it. Its just not my taste of music but Iam not like "LOL HIP HOPER WHIGGER GET OUT OF HERE"

Celtic

It does seem that the music you grow up with you are more likely to like.  I imagine as you get older though you like it even more for its nostalgia.