Character Class Restrictions

Started by Kamimaia, 08-08-2011

Cpt.Gingerbeard

I'd say +1 but thats me being greedy and wanting an ivy whip (purple knight(or maybe martyr)/artificer will be what i'm going for)
so -1

to save me double posting ima add a sudgestion to this aswell, whats peoples opinions on a restriction on certain items which need other conditions to unlock- say with the star cannon (for mages) you have to go through some sort of "meteor trial" (a hall of meteorite  which is infested with  meteorite heads, where the objective is to make it to the other side without dieing) which can only be atempted once a week or something (with mod present?)- stop people from simply getting the more powerful stuff too quickly

Tom

I don't play Terraria. . . However I think a class system that is not implemented via script would be rather silly :V
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Velspera

I think think the option to choose a weapon, accessory, or other item from a different CLASS after 2 weeks in good standing should be available to possibly replace the option of choosing from different alignments, or even restrict what alignments can be drawn from a little OR allow the person to choose beforehand whether they'd want to draw items from classes or items from alignments and stick to that plan. 

Imagine a person playing for a year under this class system with no infractions.  Starting with a red alignment, each week he chooses an item from a different alignment.  By the end of the year, he might have such a varied range of items that one might wonder why his original alignment mattered in the first place? 

A person picking items from different classes, however, could just be seen as a 'Jack of All Trades' since most of the items there are accessories that don't have much to do with alignments in the first place, other than those they are restricted.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Kamimaia

Some people have asked what a phaseblade should be RP'd as. I'll let this open up my input.

See that? That's a sword. Coming out of his hand. Its really big, and I don't wanna touch it. Gotta look, though- kinda like a moth next to a bugzapper.

To me, a Spellblade is one so close to magic that they might as well be it- and all that power is less a focus on spells, than more an access to it at all times. They can't cast the big stuff as they were never trained- but they can take all that happy arcana that slithers through their veins and utterly destroy an entire room with a constant barrage of magic- half of which comes from the sort-of-not-really-there arcane weapon they summon from their very soul. Mages bring the heavy hitters- but Spellblades don't run out of mp.

Lord_Blair

Ok. To the demand of Kamimaia and Velspera, I'm doing a vote on here. Who thinks there should be more alignment items, instead of just 2 whereas you have to pick a good weapon and armor to actually do damage. Leave a comment, and don't just say yes or no.

Safianna

Hehe. I don't even have access to the server yet, however I would still like to ask a question or two.
I'm trying to understand the layout of the class restrictions.
I ripped the chemist stuff for an example.

-Chemist:-
RESTRICTION: All bows. Cannot choose Purple alignment.
Any and All Potions
Any copper equipment
Poisoned Knife
Throwing Knife
Grenades
Cloud in a Bottle

UNIVERSALLY ALLOWED (removed bows and arrows since chemists can't use)
Mining Helmet
Bucket
Magic Mirror
Shackle
Healing Potions
Mana Potions
Restoration potions
Goldfish
Mushrooms
Glowing Mushrooms
Purification Powder
Breathing Reed
All Shortswords
Broadswords up to Wood
Armors

-Yellow/Balance:- "Scientist"
Enchanted Boomerang (Chemist)
Band of Regeneration (Chemist)
Aglet (Chemist)
Anklet of the Wind (Chemist)
Lucky Horseshoe (Chemist)

From this, I would assume that as a Yellow aligned Chemist (Scientist), I would be given access to the Scientist list, the class items below the 'restriction' line saying I cannot use bows and be purple, and the universal list (barring bows and arrows). It would also prevent me from using any other alignment specific items.

Am I correct in thinking this or do I have something wrong? I know it's in the proposal phase, but I figured I ought to clarify for myself for the future.

Safianna

Another question that is fairly specific.
What is the reasoning behind a Corruption Spellblade being able to use the Ivy Whip and a Jungle Spellblade cannot?

Kamimaia

A difference in focus. Jungle Spellblades have access to Nature's Gift as well as Jungle Armor, and so are more magic-based. Corruption Spellblades have only Shadow Armor, and so require a method of getting close to their foes.

Safianna

Ah. More for mechanical balancing. Fair enough!
Would it be safe to say that the spell / item used by the Corruption Spellblade (from an IC standpoint) is not actually made of "pure jungle ivy" but rather the thorny vines from the Corruption or a corrupted jungle vine? Or not even plant-based at all and is just foul magic at its worst?

Kamimaia

Noidness

The choosing only 2 items when dual aligning seems a bit iffy. 2 items isn't really a lot, like you could make it so the choosing 2 items doesn't include some things, like armour?

Eowomyriewyn

I am very interested in this idea. Coming from a mainly D&D background (with enough computer related RP'ing I assure you), I think this could be a wonderful idea, but reading over it I become easily confused with the format.

I apologise now if I missed this somewhere in text.

Perhaps organzing it in a form akin to:

Class Abilities

Alignment Bonuses (for that class)

Racial Bonuses (if those ever come up or are up)

I'm sorry if i'm the only one, but I get a little confused when I read what the class gets, then have to search for the alignment choices.

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Eowomyriewyn on 26-08-2011
I am very interested in this idea. Coming from a mainly D&D background (with enough computer related RP'ing I assure you), I think this could be a wonderful idea, but reading over it I become easily confused with the format.

I apologise now if I missed this somewhere in text.

Perhaps organzing it in a form akin to:

Class Abilities

Alignment Bonuses (for that class)

Racial Bonuses (if those ever come up or are up)

I'm sorry if i'm the only one, but I get a little confused when I read what the class gets, then have to search for the alignment choices.
Class abilites... I though that was listed below the class, and for each alignment don't you already get bonuses? Racial Bonuses.... maybe...

Eowomyriewyn

Well yes they are listed, but they are listed below the alignments. WHat I was gonig more for was something like this:

-Mage:-
RESTRICTION: DEFENSE ITEMS (armor OR accessory), Cannot choose Gray alignment.
Spear
Any wooden equipment
Bone
Magic Missile
Space Gun
Dirt Rod
Rocket Boots
Band of Starpower
Wizard's Hat
Featherfall Potion
Gravitation Potion
Magic Power Potion

-Yellow/Balance:-
Star Cannon (Mage)

-White/Light:-
Starfury (Mage)
Invisibility Potion (Mage) (Spellblade) (Archer)

-Red/Hell:-
Flower of Fire (Mage) (Spellblade)
Flamelash (Mage)
Obsidian Skin potion (Mage) (Martyr) (Spellblade) (Archer)

-Purple/Skyfire:-
Starfury (Mage)
Shine Potion (Mage) (Martyr) (Spellblade)

-Blue/Ocean:-
Trident (Knight) (Mage) (Chemist) (Martyr)
Aqua Scepter (Mage) (Chemist) (Martyr)
Water Bolt (Mage) (Rogue)
Water Walking Potion (Mage) (Rogue) (Martyr) (Spellblade)

-Green/Jungle:-
Staff of Regrowth (Knight) (Mage) (Rogue) (Martyr)
Vilethorn (Mage) (Chemist) (Rogue) (Martyr) (Spellblade)
Flower of Fire (Mage)
Ivy Whip (Mage) (Chemist) (Archer)
Nature's Gift (Mage) (Chemist) (Rogue) (Martyr) (Spellblade)

-Black/Corruption-
Dark Lance (Knight) (Mage)
Vilethorn (Mage) (Chemist) (Spellblade)
Demon Scythe (Mage)
Thorns Potion (Mage) (Artificer)
Ivy Whip (Mage) (Chemist) (Rogue) (Spellblade) (Archer) (Martyr)

UNIVERSALLY ALLOWED UNLESS RESTRICTED BY CLASS (minus Armors and Bows up to Copper) (Sorry if I missed any restriction)
Mining Helmet
Bucket
Magic Mirror
Shackle
Healing Potions
Mana Potions
Restoration potions
Goldfish
Mushrooms
Glowing Mushrooms
Purification Powder
Breathing Reed
All Shortswords
Broadswords up to Wood
Arrows
Flaming Arrows

This isn't to cause a problem, just a matter of organization. Its a layout that, to me anyways, allows me to better decide what alignment I want to go with my class.

And I am terribly sorry if I accidently missed or added anything that doesn't belong.

Tom

Nobody answered my question :|
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Kamimaia

Tom

Oh yeah, your right. . . Well I was just wondering about the class system and its purposes
Oh boy.

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Tom on 26-08-2011
Oh yeah, your right. . . Well I was just wondering about the class system and its purposes
Restricting us?

Tom

Quote from: Lord_Blair on 26-08-2011
Restricting us?

Why?
Oh boy.

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Tom on 27-08-2011
Restricting us?

Why?
I have no idea. I'm against it, because it serves no practical purpose but restricting you.

Tom

Okay
Oh boy.

Cpt.Gingerbeard

Quote from: Lord_Blair on 27-08-2011
Quote from: Tom on 27-08-2011
Restricting us?

Why?
I have no idea. I'm against it, because it serves no practical purpose but restricting you.
it resticts us so we can roleplay more accurately and have a varioty of charachters. If things where left as they where, everyone would be walking around with a blade of grass, a chakram, necro armour, rocket boots & a crap tone of higherter items depending on how long they have played. Lets be honest, rolepley aint fun if everyone ends up roleplaying and playing the same thing- it devalues the charchters themselves and makes it more difficult to become individual unless you decide to purposfully place restrictions on yourself. It also serves as a balancer so players who have played for slightly longer, or managed to get to the dungeon BEFORE IT WAS STRIPED BARE, dont have a completely dominating advantage. Admitedly there will be people who dislike the balancing- but rather short term dislike and then a quick acustoming to the new "playing feild" than a long term disintered due to the fact they you find yourself surounded be either clones or extreemly dominant charachers who crush everyone around them. Sure they may seem a bit anoying- however they will only serv to enrich the long term playing value (however i do agnoledge the fact that people work for their items-and i give them that, But each class and affinity usually get something good, just find the class which matches your charchter and has the equips you want)

(However if you don't like spesific item arangements for the classes, then just bring it up- i got the impression tha ael-err Kami wanted it to be up for dicusion anyhow, nice clean debate is always good especialy with game changeing ideas- it allows for the flaws to be weeded out )

Crow793

Most of us are to assume Alignment will somewhat impact one's moral values? Or will there be a seperate system for that?

Could even be a few bonuses depending on a player's morality, such as a Good-natured player receiving bonuses with city fame, shop discounts, etc., while an evil player may be more accepted by goblins, dark players, and maybe even otherworldly spirits.

Not that I'm saying all corruption people must act corrupted...

Also, might an alignment's Biome of choice likely add ICly combat bonuses in RP? (Corruption in Corruption, Hell in Hell, Forest in Forest, Ocean in Water, etc etc etc)? I find it unlikely that a Hell aligned person could claim superiority over an Ocean alignment underwater.

Of course these are all IC suggestions and have no real impact on the game mechanics itself, and would likely be implemented on player tastes. But I'd like to see other peoples opinions on it.

Velspera

So, it took me a while to sort out all of my thoughts on this, but here they are...

Crow's comment is pretty interesting, though my issue with the prop the way it is is that, after a while, it will be damn near impossible to create a valid argument for alignment bonuses in combat if people are allowed to pick and choose extra equipment from alignments willy nilly for good behavior.  Of course opposite alignments are restricted for all of the classes, but it is still a problem.

If alignments impact morals and act as a sort of 'religion' or way of life, if it's ingrained in them deeply enough it should not be something they can bend at will.  Especially someone who is part demon, dryad, angel, or other creature whose alignments should be pretty damn strict.  Yeah, they may turn to the side of good or evil depending on where they started and their thoughts may change, but their body does not. 

Secondly, all of the high-tier weapons are in packed into alignments which can still make it feasible to have an OP character even if there are class restrictions keeping you from using certain items. 

Why not let someone choose to EITHER specialize in learning to use items from different alignments OR specialize in using items from different classes as long as the items fit within their restrictions? 

I, for one, am not a high-tier weaponry fiend.  I'm an accessories fiend and having pretty much every accessory I use (most of which I have worked into my characters' backgrounds so there is a valid reason to use them) is blocked off.

At any rate, I like the prop as guidelines and a way to steer players in the right direction in terms of using equipment, but after a while every character within a certain class becomes sort of a cookie-cutter version of another in the same class, even with the extra items added.  Not every character is the same and yes, they should be restricted, but not this much. 

At any rate, I'm half and half between Blair and Kami.  I think the Prop should be here, but only as a set of guidelines players should stay within in when creating a character that has a specific class and alignment.  Classes should be more open, but alignments should be a little more rigid.  In the long run, however, players should be able to craft their own character sheets, but send them to mods for approval and they need to be able to explain how and why their character uses each item on it that isn't something universally allowed by all.

tl;dr - Maybe want. 
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Velspera on 29-08-2011
So, it took me a while to sort out all of my thoughts on this, but here they are...

Crow's comment is pretty interesting, though my issue with the prop the way it is is that, after a while, it will be damn near impossible to create a valid argument for alignment bonuses in combat if people are allowed to pick and choose extra equipment from alignments willy nilly for good behavior.  Of course opposite alignments are restricted for all of the classes, but it is still a problem.

If alignments impact morals and act as a sort of 'religion' or way of life, if it's ingrained in them deeply enough it should not be something they can bend at will.  Especially someone who is part demon, dryad, angel, or other creature whose alignments should be pretty damn strict.  Yeah, they may turn to the side of good or evil depending on where they started and their thoughts may change, but their body does not. 

Secondly, all of the high-tier weapons are in packed into alignments which can still make it feasible to have an OP character even if there are class restrictions keeping you from using certain items. 

Why not let someone choose to EITHER specialize in learning to use items from different alignments OR specialize in using items from different classes as long as the items fit within their restrictions? 

I, for one, am not a high-tier weaponry fiend.  I'm an accessories fiend and having pretty much every accessory I use (most of which I have worked into my characters' backgrounds so there is a valid reason to use them) is blocked off.

At any rate, I like the prop as guidelines and a way to steer players in the right direction in terms of using equipment, but after a while every character within a certain class becomes sort of a cookie-cutter version of another in the same class, even with the extra items added.  Not every character is the same and yes, they should be restricted, but not this much. 

At any rate, I'm half and half between Blair and Kami.  I think the Prop should be here, but only as a set of guidelines players should stay within in when creating a character that has a specific class and alignment.  Classes should be more open, but alignments should be a little more rigid.  In the long run, however, players should be able to craft their own character sheets, but send them to mods for approval and they need to be able to explain how and why their character uses each item on it that isn't something universally allowed by all.

tl;dr - Maybe want.
You make it sound like me and Kamimaia are having a war... And... I CAME UP WITH THAT OWN CHARATER SHEETS IDEA WTF.