About the Ban System

Started by Velspera, 29-06-2012

Velspera

I'm making this post in order to set a solid foundation for the ban system since it has gone absolutely HAYWIRE lately.  This is as much for the admins here as it is for the players.

The Ban System is, and always has been, as follows:

1) Warning - If a verbal warning is given and is ignored, this can be issued as a kick from the server in order to get their attention.

2) 1st Strike + 10 minute ban from server

3) 2nd Strike + 1 day ban from server

4) 3rd Strike - PERMANENT BAN

Permanent Bans should only be given immediately for griefing, trolling, or in the event that a player has committed an act that the MAJORITY of mods agree is deserving of a perma-ban

Clarifying things for Players

-Players can also be immediately kicked from the server if they have not taken the steps to have themselves added to the new player roster.

-We do not like hearing "but I didn't read that" from players when confronting them about rules.  Perhaps the rules are long, but you should have read them until you FULLY UNDERSTOOD THEM before even applying for the server.  This is NOT a valid excuse to be used to get yourself out of trouble and you will probably only get into MORE trouble if you use it.

-If you believe you were wrongfully punished and are being singled out by a specific admin for no reason, but are afraid to confront that admin about it, then ask another admin to act as a mediator.  However: We can't do a damn thing for you if you decide you just want to go all renegade and grief the server or troll people just to get back at them. 
Clarifying things for Admins
-Do not punish players for personal reasons

-The ban system between "warning" and "1st strike" does not need to be taken as a strict step.  You can give players multiple warnings.  However, once they move on to their 1st strike the steps should be followed in order unless all admins are in agreement that a strike can be taken from their record.

-Unless they've done something completely horrendous, DO NOT immediately perma-ban players.  Especially if it is something minor that they can fix on their own and does not affect the community as a whole and they have no prior transgressions.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Kamimaia

This takes too long. Sorry, but I'm not going to spend more than five minutes trying to get a player to stop griefing or otherwise being a douchebag.

That, and I don't make a ban permanent until the player decides to start trashing the server and/or the person who banned them. If they apologize, genuinely try to do better, or otherwise concede to their transgressions they're let back in (usually). Terraria chat is ill-suited to conversations about transgressions or acts committed- when possible, I prefer to do such things on the forums. Often, a player (such as Abby) will not realize the grievousness of their acts until actually forced to stop what they're doing to consider it.

Velspera

Quote from: Kamimaia on 29-06-2012
This takes too long. Sorry, but I'm not going to spend more than five minutes trying to get a player to stop griefing or otherwise being a douchebag.

That, and I don't make a ban permanent until the player decides to start trashing the server and/or the person who banned them. If they apologize, genuinely try to do better, or otherwise concede to their transgressions they're let back in (usually). Terraria chat is ill-suited to conversations about transgressions or acts committed- when possible, I prefer to do such things on the forums. Often, a player (such as Abby) will not realize the grievousness of their acts until actually forced to stop what they're doing to consider it.

Read OP again. I stated under ban steps that griefing and trolling are events that qualify for an immediate ban. It goes without saying that if someone is tearing holes in the map with no sign of letting up that they should be removed without delay. Same goes for trolling.

But if a player has done something like made their house a little too big or has too much of one item or done any other thing that is far more minor, it should also go without saying that banning them should not be the immediate recourse.

Plus: the system has been this way for a long time, minus a warning, and has only been brought up again because of complaints made by people who have been banned and deserved it, people who have been banned and have NOT deserved, and people who are just generally concerned that there is a ban system that no one is officially following.

voxpopulis

kamikaia permabanned me at the first time, she didn't even kick me.

Crow793

Quote from: voxpopulis on 30-06-2012

Permanent Bans should only be given immediately for griefing, trolling, or in the event that a player has committed an act that the MAJORITY of mods agree is deserving of a perma-ban. 

{Internet Awarded.}

Velspera

Quote from: voxpopulis on 30-06-2012

Once again: No.  She didn't.

Even though I consider racial slurs to be definite trolling, -I- (Yes.  ME.) only KICKED YOU from the server first. 

When you returned, you did so with an asshat comment prepared which we considered trolling and banned you for.

voxpopulis

She ignored my apologizing post and removed it. She didn't listen me. And now changed the password so I cannot login again even when I'm being unbanned.

Khyris

I can see this thread becoming quite popular very soon.
Iseyu Characters: Alicia Saphoe

Syndraell

Alright, I might as well add this in as well.

Unless i know you really well in-game, do NOT ask me to lift your ban.
Failure to comply may cause these side effects:
Ignored Messages.
Permaban.
Forumban. (if you repeatedly annoy me/any of our mods)

and the most Important thing.
Do not Betray my Trust.

I'm not joking about this one.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Kamimaia

It wasn't an apologizing post.

Also, funny thing: Remember how you kept saying in-game that you'd spoken to Mooky and James and that they agreed with you?

/goatse.jpg

BS.