A Leatherbound Tome.

Started by Safianna, 16-11-2011

Safianna

Out of Character Note: The following is an in-character journal that I will be updating semi-regularly as major events relevant to Miss Safia occur. As with anything told from an in-character perspective, there may be bias, speculation and completely wrong interpretations/points of view. And no... the journal is not just lying around, so your characters cannot read it. However, you as the player, may find it interesting to see what sometimes runs through her head (or not...).

-----------------

After the exodus from Caphori, we arrived in a new land. The golem told me they are erecting a new castle. Which sort of defeats the purpose of leaving Caphori to begin with, doesn't it? I mean sure, the host of "demons" may have only come after a portal was opened, but let's face it... there were spirits warning us away from the decadent life long before any idiot fortune tellers allegedly opened a portal or two.

Naturally, I put distance between myself and those people. If and only if it can be proven that the earth will not rise up again, I may consider moving closer or even living in their new town. Until then, I will be content to live modestly and carry out my work in the scarred lands. I have made progress already too! The properties of jungle mud are immune or highly resistant to the spread of the diseased earth. I discovered this in the old lands, but what I did not know was that the plant life is just as hardy.

I know sunflowers have the ability to stop the disease. Coupled with the knowledge that the jungle mud and flora are resistant as well... Future experiments will have to follow.

Safianna

I've decided to name my home Greenhaven. After pruning up my plants, placing Jorgen's skull on the shelf, and making some lovely tea, I went outside to put up my new sign. Hopefully it will ward off unwanted visitors. The promise of rashes and itches from nettles will definitely keep away the softer crowd anyway. This is not a completely empty promise as the mud I have built my home with supports all sorts of plant-life. I have to say that I am quite satisfied with my bed. While the sheets are spider-silk, the pillows and the bed itself are stuffed with grass. Don't worry. I replanted much more than what I took.

-- a few pages are ripped out--

You know... I thought the sign would deter people from coming to see me. It seems to have had the opposite effect. More people have visited me in the past few days than the many months I spent in the wilds in "Old Caphori". The golem, an assassin, and Mr. J all came by for one reason or another. Out of the goodness of my heart, I kept them com-- Would you believe someone is knocking as I write this? To be continued... Damned townies.

Safianna

The golem burnt a hole in my door. Its piss poor excuse was that it can sustain only one major body part at a time. If this was the case, it should have materialized a MOUTH so it could speak up. It's not like the birds were coming after a living flame in a hurry. Anyway, it stopped in to make sure I was not possessed by the spirits of the land. I suppose it cannot be blamed, since I do respect the earth far more than most and I sympathize with it more than anyone else I've met. Of course, I don't particularly wish to cause the apocalypse, so there is that going for me.

It is trying to prove that the elements are changing for the better. However, I will not believe this until I have spoken with other representatives of the other elements. While the golem does have some evidence that they MAY be helping, there is as much or more evidence to highlight their utter indifference save for during moments that truly would throw things out of balance. You know, like the total genocide of the humanoids in Caphori.

Once it was satisfied that I was not crazy or something like that, it vanished. I suppose this will become a reoccurring thing.

In other news, I have installed a peephole to prevent annoyances like the door-burning incident.

Safianna

Where do I start? Much has changed...

First of all, Goblins... the bastards. En route to the castle, they thought it would be fun to set off explosives. Unfortunately, they blew up a chunk of the east bank of the lake that I lived on. Consequentially, much larger waves than normal headed towards my home. Luckily for me, I had time to grab my most important belongings (my books!) and got to safety on the other side of the chasm. It was a wash of mud, daybloom, sunflowers, moonglow, blinkroot and deathweed. Admittedly, it was kind of pretty seeing all the colours flowing down into the chasm.

My new home is now inaccessible to most hostiles. The ones with wings can still come say hello, but since I've grown accustomed to the soft knocking on my roof, it is actually comforting to hear them rapping at my door. The beasts I cannot stop from visiting are the folks from town. They still come with grappling hooks and their featherfall potions. I try with my sign, but they do not seem to take the warning very seriously. I should find out which plant gives Humans and Elves rashes, but not Gnomes. That would be highly amusing.

The Matt fellow has stopped in and was resting at my table for a few days. I did not see him for a bit, so I assume he has moved on. A bit of a dunderhead, thought I was 'checking him out' or something, when I was merely offering him a herbal solution to his bruises. As if I gave a crap about some Human in the nude. Get real. I have better things to do with my time than to pine over an engaged man who can't even make ith through the jungle without whining for a place to rest.

I visited the castle. I don't know if it is a new castle or the same one... I'll be honest, I could have sworn I went east to get to the castle before but now I trek west. My mind is playing tricks on me. I will have to find a non-Human entity that is NOT the bloody Golem to keep me company. Solitude, while it has its perks, does seem to be getting to me. At the very least, they will be able to help me keep my bearings.

Speaking of the castle, it is official. They have a queen now. Ophelia, I believe. She was the woman that defeated the demon leader during the exodus. Yet another reason I am glad I decided to live away from them. Last thing I need is some highfalutin broad telling me what to do, when to do it and where. It may not be like that at the moment, but I have never seen a monarchy that did not evolve into that. Maybe she can be the exception that proves the rule, but I'd rather go crazy living alone than find out whether she is a tyrant or not the hard way.

Anyway, that's the update, journal.
See you in a bit.