Health Regeneration now re-enabled, but should we permanently disable it?

Started by Spades_Neil, 20-12-2011

Spades_Neil

EDIT: This experiment is over. I'll be turning Health Regen back on as promised (for now) and await further feedback. I will also discuss it with Blake to see if he'd prefer to keep the change permanent or not. Thanks to all of you who provided feedback also.

I've decided to run a little test...

Food items are basically worthless right now. They repair fuck-all for HP, and make you irradiated. So to make food less useless, I've disabled health regeneration! No, it's not permanent. I'm going to take a few days to see how this works and see how people react.

Ideally:
- People will injury RP because they'll ACTUALLY be missing health.
- Doctor characters will actually MEAN SOMETHING.
- Food will be USEFUL for healing yourself.
- Radiation will become a very REAL threat that must be treated--but also adds to RP.

Worst Case Scenario:
- People dislike the change and don't log in for the few days I try this.

I won't force it on you guys if you don't like it. I want to see how this effects the RP by adding an OOC element to improve the immersion of Gmod RP. (Please don't make the argument that you don't need OOC items / actions to RP. This is technically true, but it still helps with immersing yourself.)

Vote to tell me what you think of the change. Just try it before you knock it.

nKe

I agree if;
-We get tons of more medicine out there (You know, stims arent THAT rare as they are at the moment)

I disagree if:
-We have to use ant meat (+3 hp) to heal back to 100%.
-That horrible blurry vision stays.

lolKieck

Doctor chars won't be able to fix someone game-wise, only RP-wise. Either supply them with loadsastims or doctors will be admin-only.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Tom

If its a cfg thing, then SRP may want to consider doing this whenever any sort of major event is going on.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

nKe

Quote from: lolKieck on 21-12-2011
Doctor chars won't be able to fix someone game-wise, only RP-wise. Either supply them with loadsastims or doctors will be admin-only.
Think about this:
You get stuck, use /charfallover, notice that your stuck on roof, use again and find yourself falling from random roof, now your on 10 hp with screen blurry and weird.
and theres no admins on server, now you're stuck with blurry vision until admin/doctor joins.

Steven :D

Quote from: Nik3 on 21-12-2011
Think about this:
You get stuck, use /charfallover, notice that your stuck on roof, use again and find yourself falling from random roof, now your on 10 hp with screen blurry and weird.
and theres no admins on server, now you're stuck with blurry vision until admin/doctor joins.
Solution, use heali- OH WAIT, MINISCULE AMOUNTS OF HITPOINTS!

jaik

just kill yourself and you'll start w/o radiation and full health

and wouldn't it be obvious to visit a doctor even if you used a stimpack? they don't restore crippled bones nor heal major wounds.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Steven :D

Quote from: Jake on 21-12-2011

and wouldn't it be obvious to visit a doctor even if you used a stimpack? they don't restore crippled bones nor heal major wounds.
And without ammo.

Spades_Neil

I agree if;
-We get tons of more medicine out there (You know, stims arent THAT rare as they are at the moment)

I disagree if:
-We have to use ant meat (+3 hp) to heal back to 100%.
-That horrible blurry vision stays.

I wish I could disable or lessen the blurry vision. For now it's something we have to deal with. This is still a good point that might prevent me from keeping this change permanent.

However, medicine is going to become much more common--and I basically found two frequently on doctor characters and gave them assloads of bandages, stimpacks, and radaway OOCly. ICly they'd still RP healing you however they please and to suit whatever injuries you have.

Already done. Hopefully we'll get a few more doctor characters too. However, I have one rule about doctor characters: No charging an insane amount of caps for treatment. 20 caps at most if you're going to charge -anything- (though most doctor characters work for free). You can, however, charge caps if you're also selling the medical items to be used in the field.

Think about this:

This -could- become a pain in the ass, but it's a rare occurrence. If you survived that to begin with I consider you lucky. Still, even rare as it may be, shit happens. I'll take this in to account.

Gear will be returned always for OOC fuck-ups.

Quote from: Steven :D on 21-12-2011
Quote from: Jake on 21-12-2011

And without ammo.

Killing yourself could work if it gets really bad. To be honest, if I log in and I see someone spawn into the game with damage to their HP, I'll usually just reset their health for the hell of it unless it's severe.

Also, if I catch people injury and medical RPing well enough, I might increase or reset their HP for free.

nKe

Spades just made FAQ about this.
Nice work.

Khorn

Could we possibly just lower the regeneration so people can slowly heal over time?

Perhaps we should get a cripple system. If you get busted legs, you can't sprint. Busted arms means bad aim, or can't use guns or items. Busted head, you get blurry eyes.

Also, MedDocBot Entity that we have can be stationed in certain locations like food NPCs are.

As for food, as said, raise their usefulness.

Frostee

OMG GAIZ, LETS HIDE BEHIND COVR UNTIL OUR HELTH REGENERATES, EVEN THOUGH I WAS SHOT AT WITH A RPG/.50 CAL!!!!

Supported up the bum, and this should happen to SRP too.

HitMan5523

Quote from: FrostyFrosty on 21-12-2011
OMG GAIZ, LETS HIDE BEHIND COVR UNTIL OUR HELTH REGENERATES, EVEN THOUGH I WAS SHOT AT WITH A RPG/.50 CAL!!!!

Supported up the bum, and this should happen to SRP too.
I don't think so.
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

Plunger

To bad this won't work. The only time people ever get hurt, and have a chance to regenerate are more often then not when something silly happens, like charfallover breaks, they fall off something, someone minges.