Unarmed Fighting

Started by Madcombat, 14-12-2011

Madcombat

Ok ok, so I know this might seem batshit insane or "Silly" in some eyes.  I can tottaly accept that.
But I was thinking after some time, what about a diffrent type of combat, sure we got our mainstream sword on sword or flair on sword fighting, but we do not ever see an movenent+Speed+Strengh based combat completely focused on using nothing but your own body to defeat the enermy. 
Hell, I am going to purely say why I've came out with this idea but anyhow, after watching Dragon Balls Z I couldnt but notice thank to not being a blind man that they always use fists to fight, then I drew my attention to Crussaria and thought about how all fighting was so just Sword, flail, mace, pike, staff, magic, bow based.  So I came up with a idea, how could one fight unarmed against these?
Simple, since we're in a fantasy would and not reality.  I thought of a diffrent concept being gaunlets that enabled one to handle a blade to a extent of not taking too much harm to the hands.  Lets not forget even in reality there are martial arts so wouldnt it be roleplay opening and intresting itself to have a odd few characters dedicated to mastering an art of unarmed combat to escape or disable a enermy. 
After much thought this could be a intresting thing for some characters to try take up and train in and would require quite some experiance in the ability to roleplay this correctly.

Its a strange idea I agree, but I wonder what the community thinks SO...
Have a talk about it I guess.

jaik

Gauntlets are a huge burden on the hands(as they limit the movement) and it means that offensive movements would be easy to predict and defend(avoid or dodge, even).
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Steven :D

Quote from: Madcombat on 14-12-2011
Ok ok, so I know this might seem batshit insane or "Silly" in some eyes.  I can tottaly accept that.
But I was thinking after some time, what about a diffrent type of combat, sure we got our mainstream sword on sword or flair on sword fighting, but we do not ever see an movenent+Speed+Strengh based combat completely focused on using nothing but your own body to defeat the enermy. 
Hell, I am going to purely say why I've came out with this idea but anyhow, after watching Dragon Balls Z I couldnt but notice thank to not being a blind man that they always use fists to fight, then I drew my attention to Crussaria and thought about how all fighting was so just Sword, flail, mace, pike, staff, magic, bow based.  So I came up with a idea, how could one fight unarmed against these?
Simple, since we're in a fantasy would and not reality.  I thought of a diffrent concept being gaunlets that enabled one to handle a blade to a extent of not taking too much harm to the hands.  Lets not forget even in reality there are martial arts so wouldnt it be roleplay opening and intresting itself to have a odd few characters dedicated to mastering an art of unarmed combat to escape or disable a enermy. 
After much thought this could be a intresting thing for some characters to try take up and train in and would require quite some experiance in the ability to roleplay this correctly.

Its a strange idea I agree, but I wonder what the community thinks SO...
Have a talk about it I guess.
Commissar and his Claymore beg to differ.

Madcombat

*Thinks of Commisar and his Claymore*
*Shivers*
Anyhow, Jake that is correct, either way the principle of this idea still stands.

Chippy

I was thinking that the unarmed combat would specialize in disarming their foe. Using thick leather or something to help.

ZainMenloe

Quote from: Chippy on 15-12-2011
I was thinking that the unarmed combat would specialize in disarming their foe. Using thick leather or something to help.

Chainmail.
Chainmail was specifically designed for making slashing weapons useless, and being able to hold a blade of sorts in your hand would make it much easier to dissarm your opponent. And not even that, the chainmail will 'bend' to fit the users hand. Though having a chainmail glove on both hands presents this problem, 'metal slides across metal, rather than grips'.
So, I present to you another solution, one chain glove, one think leather. Leather is a more, gripping, matterial than chainmail, and will still fit the hand of the user, much like the chain glove would. Now, the leather is not as durible as chain, so this glove will be used to grab the weapon, and rip it out of your opponents hands, and cannot possibly be used to block an incoming blade.
As a final statement, niether glove can do anything directly against the thrust of a blade, or a blunt weapon made for breaking armor and bones alike. *Pulls out a mace* Go ahead, try to catch this, you'll only succeed at breaking near every bone in your hand and/or wrist. All in all, this seems like the best way to disarm an opponent realistically, but remember, you also need a great reflex and some great speed to either get out of the way of the blow, and even more to move slightly out of the way, then block the weapon with one hand, grab it after it has been stopped, and yank before the attacker has realized what you are doing. So, I do not think this as an efficient way to fight, too many conditions, too many requirements. Your opponent MUST have the correct type of weapon, you MUST block the blade with the chain-protected hand, and you MUST grip with the leather glove.

Chippy

Long Live the Monk class.

Paintcheck

Your thinking seems to be "if it doesn't cut me I will be safe". Blocking a full-strength sword swing using your arm is a terrible idea. It might not break your arm but after the first one you block you definitely will not want to block anything after that. The force these weapons exert on contact is often as dangerous as the cutting itself.

And then of course there's maces and flails which are are designed to crush armor and whatever is under that armor. Blocked on of those with your arm would be exactly what your opponent would want.

Any sort of armor would negate any unarmed blow period. Even a leather cuirass or something would take the oomph out of any sort of punch. It's not feasible from a realistic point of view.

ZainMenloe

Quote from: Paintcheck on 15-12-2011
You're thinking seems to be "if it doesn't cut me I will be safe". Blocking a full-strength sword swing using your arm is a terrible idea. It might not break your arm but after the first one you block you definitely will not want to block anything after that. The force these weapons exert on contact is often as dangerous as the cutting itself.

And then of course there's maces and flails which are are designed to crush armor and whatever is under that armor. Blocked on of those with your arm would be exactly what your opponent would want.

Any sort of armor would negate any unarmed blow period. Even a leather cuirass or something would take the oomph out of any sort of punch. It's not feasible from a realistic point of view.

No, that's the exact point I was trying to convey. Having the chain and leather gloves would be the best approach to disarm someone, but all-in-all, it would never, or very rarely, work.

Tom

Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22