So here we are again [Community Discussion]

Started by Dragon, 08-08-2012

Dragon

Crussaria is back, and this time as a supported server rather than a main server. Ain't that dandy?
So, as you can probably tell, this place is a mess. The lore now has quite a number of holes in it since a number of old people who held it together left as it went down the last time, which means we need a new lore!

So, what we want is for you, the Community, to come up with a few ideas that you think will help make a good Crussaria lore. This is a fairly big change, so I would like anyone who comments to be serious about this. It'd also be good if anyone could pitch in a few ideas as to what you may like to see in Crussaria.

Yeah, a few things to note: I don't care how much you think Crussaria is doomed to fail, how much you hate fantasy RP or whatever questionable thoughts may stir in the minds of you folks, but get this: I don't care about that, and I'd appreciate it if they stayed in your mind. Anything that you may think is a contributing idea to Crussaria, I'd encourage you to share it.

So go on folks, start throwing your ideas this way.
"Is it just me, or have peoples' hands been growing out of their asses lately?"

Ragolution

Quote from: Headcrabs on 08-08-2012

Crussaria is back, and this time as a supported server rather than a main server. Ain't that dandy?
So, as you can probably tell, this place is a mess. The lore now has quite a number of holes in it since a number of old people who held it together left as it went down the last time, which means we need a new lore!

So, what we want is for you, the Community, to come up with a few ideas that you think will help make a good Crussaria lore. This is a fairly big change, so I would like anyone who comments to be serious about this. It'd also be good if anyone could pitch in a few ideas as to what you may like to see in Crussaria.

Yeah, a few things to note: I don't care how much you think Crussaria is doomed to fail, how much you hate fantasy RP or whatever questionable thoughts may stir in the minds of you folks, but get this: I don't care about that, and I'd appreciate it if they stayed in your mind. Anything that you may think is a contributing idea to Crussaria, I'd encourage you to share it.

So go on folks, start throwing your ideas this way.

Stop making the lore so bloody convoluted and mary-sue. Actually have a story that makes sense and isn't just "DAEMONS, UNDEAD HAVE FUN"

</problem>'

Edit: ALSO MAKE IT SO PEOPLE CAN'T BE FUCKING DEMONS FUCK THAT NOISE

Edit2: I will write fucking lore novels (short stories) if you guys come up with GOOD characters or at least a serious plot.

jaik

Skyrim RP.

Someone had to do it.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Barlow

Should have a LOTR lore based on the second film since it fits without having all the complications of the third and first film, including most of the races. Easy to port models for it and there are already plenty of models for it on the garrysmod.org and such.

darkzerxx

Honestly I love the content and effort exile put into crussaria. It was just the head admins that didn't make a effort to help the server, and left it to the to's and lower admins. I wish exile put the amount of content crussaria had for forp.
Ex-Duty-converted Monolith:|Draco 'Dice' stellem|Decease
Stalker/Trader:|Dracovich Raka|Alive
Eco:|Dr.Richard L. Vangraff|In zone
Stalker:|Scarler 'becca' Owen|Alive
Ex-freedomer-duty:|Levi'Fox'Krillen|Alive
Stalker:|Taylor 'trinity'|Alive
Sucker:|Hunter|Alive
Military:|Scarlet Stroik|alive

Silver Knight

We are not changing Crussaria to Skyrim or LOTR.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Ragolution

Quote from: Last.Exile on 08-08-2012
We are not changing Crussaria to Skyrim or LOTR.

+SUPPORT

Bl★ck Star

Add my Dragon Killing bitch character Alice.

Spades_Neil

This could be interesting. Maybe since FORP is no longer my source of concern, I'll finally pay Crussaria a visit. Glad to see it's back.

Just make sure everything actually works correctly. As of currently, the server is quite unbalanced and last time I heard, full of bugs. This tends to break the RP experience.

KingArthur

Well with Pac you can make your chars look nice ;3

Syndraell

Looking forward to crussaria.

Hopefully i can get gmod to play this. (if i remember correctly)

as for Lore, I've never been one to write out lore with a passion, as in most of the time i just want to explain shit quickly. But I'll give it a shot. (before i do that, however; the most important topic of lore is how the land of which it speaks came to be.

For Instance; but not limited to:
"In the beginning, the Everdark covered the world in its entirety, from the sullen earth to the highest realms of the clouds. Within this darkness lived the *random name*, the timeless beings. They took no form, because they lived within darkness; and had no reason to see. For a time, a question took form in their minds. "what is the opposite of darkness?" they wondered, for that was all they saw; most were content with the Everdark, but some decided to find the alternative. They became *random name*, which meant seeking truth. They wandered across the land, trying to find anything they could that would be their opposite. But they could find nothing; for they could not see. They had nowhere left to turn, and sat upon the ground. They waited, seeing as they could not seek an answer, maybe the answer would seek them?

Maybe this was true, for something streaked across the sky. A simple shooting star for me or you, but in this star; they found their answer. They saw Light, and it illuminated everything around them... Except they could not see each other, for they had no form. Once again they sat upon the cold and dark, and considered what forms they should take. as they thought, one took his form. He became the Sun, and illuminated the world in his glory. But this presented a problem as well. What if they wanted to see in the dark at times, to lead their ways. So one became the Moon, and gave a small amount of light in the darkness."

I'm going to stop here, mainly because i was screwing around, just making an example.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Ragolution

Okay.
If Crussaria is really getting a revamp we need to get some points across:

What We Need
Heroes - I know HGN is all about people being normal and shit but that doesn't mean there's ABSOLUTELY ZERO heroes/incredible people in the world. We all remember medieval games/stories where there's one total badass everyone's envious of/afraid of even though he's just a normal dude with lots of finesse. Crussaria needs to realise people can be powerful without powergaming. Not everyone is equal and honestly all of HGN struggles with this, it seems. So let's make Crussaria the first server to demonstrate fantasy and optimism and the power of will. A fucking militiaman wont out-fight a war veteran or anything but HGN paints it as a bad thing to be anything but 100% normal.

A Compelling Plot - We need a goddamn conflict or main purpose in the lore. The best conflicts are those which lack a clear or obvious Good/Evil side. When making factions you want to be as ambigious as you can while also making them complex and dynamic organizations. It could still be Humans v Demons but show a lighter, human side to the demons and allow players to feel that they're more than "KILL RAPE DESTROY KILL RAPE DESTROY" or anything like that. Demons are humanoid and can think coherently, as far as I know.

Active Players, EVERYWHERE - Every job is important when Silver implements his crazy Economy ideas. If we're missing even one job, the pyramid falls apart. The most efficient way is to fill jobs at the bottom and work upwards but we all know no one wants to be a simple farmer or someshit for the whole time they're on Crussaria. That said, we need to either have 1000s of active players doing jobs they don't want to do or abolish this crazy idealism that we can make a 'working' medieval economy. It's one or the fucking other. No one wants to be a bloody fucking peasant if all they do is sit around staring at wheat. Medieval peasant life sucked then and it sucks now. Holy damn. Do you know what blacksmiths did in the winter, in medieval times? They sat around making fucking chainmail. I know from personal experience you have to be REALLY FUCKING BORED to want to do that.

Stick with one map, man! - Seriously. Just pick one. Don't change it, for any reason.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Ragolution on 09-08-2012
Okay.
If Crussaria is really getting a revamp we need to get some points across:

What We Need
Heroes - I know HGN is all about people being normal and shit but that doesn't mean there's ABSOLUTELY ZERO heroes/incredible people in the world. We all remember medieval games/stories where there's one total badass everyone's envious of/afraid of even though he's just a normal dude with lots of finesse. Crussaria needs to realise people can be powerful without powergaming. Not everyone is equal and honestly all of HGN struggles with this, it seems. So let's make Crussaria the first server to demonstrate fantasy and optimism and the power of will. A fucking militiaman wont out-fight a war veteran or anything but HGN paints it as a bad thing to be anything but 100% normal.

A Compelling Plot - We need a goddamn conflict or main purpose in the lore. The best conflicts are those which lack a clear or obvious Good/Evil side. When making factions you want to be as ambigious as you can while also making them complex and dynamic organizations. It could still be Humans v Demons but show a lighter, human side to the demons and allow players to feel that they're more than "KILL RAPE DESTROY KILL RAPE DESTROY" or anything like that. Demons are humanoid and can think coherently, as far as I know.

Active Players, EVERYWHERE - Every job is important when Silver implements his crazy Economy ideas. If we're missing even one job, the pyramid falls apart. The most efficient way is to fill jobs at the bottom and work upwards but we all know no one wants to be a simple farmer or someshit for the whole time they're on Crussaria. That said, we need to either have 1000s of active players doing jobs they don't want to do or abolish this crazy idealism that we can make a 'working' medieval economy. It's one or the fucking other. No one wants to be a bloody fucking peasant if all they do is sit around staring at wheat. Medieval peasant life sucked then and it sucks now. Holy damn. Do you know what blacksmiths did in the winter, in medieval times? They sat around making fucking chainmail. I know from personal experience you have to be REALLY FUCKING BORED to want to do that.

Stick with one map, man! - Seriously. Just pick one. Don't change it, for any reason.

Let's go through the paragraphs for my brief responses.

1. Heroes? You make this sound like it could work, as long as it is done properly... and it can be done properly. Personally I'd like not to see people /start/ as heroes, but I'd like people to be recognized for their reputation after an amazing feat. We had at least one guy, User 550, in FORP who earned the title of this year's Lone Wanderer to say the least. Great RPer. He was rewarded with a heroic turning point in his character development (and I even let him, just once, use VATS ICly just because the guy he was after was scripted to be killed at the end of the RP). He became a key character in future RPs, but he did not abuse his powers and that's what I liked about him. Heroes could work, but it's not a matter of, "I auth you to be a hero." A hero has to earn their title. Crussaria should start without heroes, but give opportunities for them to earn their heroics.

2. Compelling plot. I have nothing to add to this because you've already hit the points I would have made. Basically exactly what you said.

3. No one wants to be a farmer? PFFFFT. Challenge accepted. I will RP as a farmer and I will fucking love it. I will go to the marketplace with my cabbages and potatoes and become a well known and beloved produce producing member of the kingdom!

lolKieck

Dark Souls RP would be nice, but I guess we don't need an undead and insanity post-apoc.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Maxi96203

Spades can I be one of your magical talking cattle?

I mean if not I'll probably RP a peasant or a footsoldier.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 09-08-2012

While I know you're joking, if that could be RPed seriously that could be both hilarious and interesting. A cow that talks to his farmer. Everyone thinks the farmer is nuts, but the cow really does talk to him. It informs him of secrets it had learned from passer-bys that walk the roads near the farms where it grazes. The farmer learns of all the latest gossip.

Maxi96203

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 09-08-2012

While I know you're joking, if that could be RPed seriously that could be both hilarious and interesting. A cow that talks to his farmer. Everyone thinks the farmer is nuts, but the cow really does talk to him. It informs him of secrets it had learned from passer-bys that walk the roads near the farms where it grazes. The farmer learns of all the latest gossip.

It could be a spell
And I could talk like a pirate.

And if the farmer got unruly I could threaten him with my imaginary rapier.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

lolKieck

It could be a spell

Yes. THAT. Crussaria Discworld.

Syndraell

Quote from: lolKieck on 09-08-2012

It could be a spell

Yes. THAT. Crussaria Discworld.

speaking of discworld...
http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/27780257472/discworld-submitted-by-dr-toreibo

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

ZainMenloe

So now, before this thread gets TOO de-railed.

Quote from: Ragolution on 09-08-2012
What We Need
Heroes
A Compelling Plot
Active Players, EVERYWHERE
Stick with one map, man!

Addressing Rag's post...
Heroes- Yes, the server DOES need the few and the famous. I encourage, no, I STRONGLY encourage every player to try to be unique, and work towards something. I do NOT encourage players powergaming their way to get to that point. Its a thin line, and on this I'll be gentle with warnings.
   NOTE: Just a small tip to maybe help all new joining, and old re-joining, make a character with a goal in mind, or create a goal for him soon, else the roleplay will become bland. If you are going to work towards the 'Hero' Status, please, please, PLEASE, do not powergame your way there... Many heroes were wounded, a lot before they learned the best way to fight against the beasts of fantasy. Becoming a 'hero' requires blood, sweat and tears, litterally.

Plot- The full admin team is currently working on a (hopefully) intresting plot that will keep intrest. This is very difficult (if you have ever run a D&D campaign, you already understand why), Bbecause creating any event for a server, or open game, means you have to cover a lot of the different outcomes. There are always multiple endings to every event, with different consequences and rewards.

Active Players - Cant really add anything... The admins would be nothing without the players, but, as I've learned, the players are bored as hell without the admins. So, I want to throw one new concept at you all, one that may just explode your brains, so be careful...
If you want to roleplay, get on the server REGARDLESS of the current number of people on. OR, better yet, yell at a few of your friends and an admin, get a small party online, and start earning that 'hero' status for your character.
(I apologize if your brains are now all over your room)

One Map- I cannot agree, or dissagree with this, as it fluctuates. I would love to use a single map, but if we use a small one, and have a large playerbase, then it just feels crowded. But, on the other side, if we have only a few people at once, and a large map, no one will find each other, and thats just boring. So, we will stick with a single map for a while, then switch if need-be, but we will NOT do daily, or even weekly switches.

Hopefully, this re-lauch of CRP will be much better, as all of the admins are getting into a SF group chat on a daily basis, talking about how to improve, and just bouncing ideas off each other to try and make this work.

jaik

Inb4 everyone's the dragonborn.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: ZainMenloe on 10-08-2012
-snip-

If anyone is seeking to become a hero, that means they're trying to hard and will probably get themselves killed doing something stupid.

There's a thin line between bravery and stupidity. If everyone is trying to be the hero, I'd expect there be some admins to beat them back and go "lol no back to the fields peasant". I said in my post above, absolutely NO ONE should be trying to be the hero! However, I said for admins to give occasional and realistic opportunities to be recognized as a hero. I think you missed our point.

lolKieck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 10-08-2012
-snip-

If anyone is seeking to become a hero, that means they're trying to hard and will probably get themselves killed doing something stupid.

There's a thin line between bravery and stupidity. If everyone is trying to be the hero, I'd expect there be some admins to beat them back and go "lol no back to the fields peasant". I said in my post above, absolutely NO ONE should be trying to be the hero! However, I said for admins to give occasional and realistic opportunities to be recognized as a hero. I think you missed our point.
Then how people will be encouraged to keep playing if you want everyone to be a peasant?
If we are going to follow your policy, Spades, we might as well scrap Crussaria now.

jaik

Being stupidly brave isn't heroic. Being a hero is about acting as a role model, not an RPG/PKM dual-wielding assassin that sends himself into the heat of the battle at every possible turn.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: lolKieck on 10-08-2012
Quote from: Spades_Neil on 10-08-2012
-snip-

Completely missing the point.

I didn't say everyone should be a peasant (ie a lame-arse generic laborer with no interesting and realistic background). In fact that's a great way to kill the server.

Consider this scenario. Let's say there was a battle going on, and you're a peasant. This battle is none of your business nor does it affect you. What would be the smart, realistic thing to do? Stay out of the way? Or pick up your noob club and charge headlong into the battle and start swinging at whoever looks like the bad guy? That's not being a hero. That's being a moron. Anyone trying to be a hero like this should be killed.

I'm saying, for players who are already good at roleplaying, you give a heroic opportunity. Heroes don't necessarily have special powers. A hero is one who is recognized as such by his or her community. Say there's a woman who has been cornered by, say, giant spiders. They are without a weapon. A peasant hears their screams. They /do/ have the club, which is just enough to squish a few spiders, and they can't just leave the poor maiden to her doom. They therefore save the maiden, and she spreads word of his deed. Now you've become a small hero. In more extreme situations like during events, one peasant might just have the (mis)fortune of being the last one capable of stopping some sort of bad guy. Nothing that requires an incredible feat of strength or magic, but just a little cleverness. If Roleplayed out well, the reward is a heroic status.

Make sense now?

Quote from: Jake on 10-08-2012
Being stupidly brave isn't heroic. Being a hero is about acting as a role model, not an RPG/PKM dual-wielding assassin that sends himself into the heat of the battle at every possible turn.

Yes. God damn it yes.