SUGGESTION: Less Major Factions [Re-Opened]

Started by lolKieck, 03-06-2014

Locke

I feel like we should keep Freedom and Duty, but their power should be diminished. They used to get too powerful, but they usually didn't gain power equally and this ruined it for one faction or another. I mean, one faction would have active members an one didn't, and because we used to let Freedom and Duty have lots of power and influence the server would alternate between being ruled by one faction and then another.

It was an uneasy equilibrium and it led to blood feuds between the leaders and senior members of the warring factions that leaked from in character to out of character. Maybe if we reduce the sphere of influence that the factions have, the server would be more stable and more enjoyable for everyone.

Blake.H

Quote from: ㅎㅎLocke on 01-07-2014
I feel like we should keep Freedom and Duty, but their power should be diminished. They used to get too powerful, but they usually didn't gain power equally and this ruined it for one faction or another. I mean, one faction would have active members an one didn't, and because we used to let Freedom and Duty have lots of power and influence the server would alternate between being ruled by one faction and then another.

It was an uneasy equilibrium and it led to blood feuds between the leaders and senior members of the warring factions that leaked from in character to out of character. Maybe if we reduce the sphere of influence that the factions have, the server would be more stable and more enjoyable for everyone.

Could you elaborate more? What's your idea? Interested in knowing what you think we should do.

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Locke

I think that Freedom and Duty should be there to enhance roleplay, but not to turn the game into a game of securing resources and power instead of roleplay. They should have semi-permanent bases that can rotate through events of something of the like, but make it so that the two can't war on each other except during events.

I just remember Freedom and Duty fighting a lot during the old days, and all the other players got caught in between and it sort of hijacked the server and experience because there were sometimes ~8-10 players on each side on at a time. If we limit the number of people on each faction, and make it so they do things other than fight each other, then it could be more enjoyable for smaller player groups. They could focus more on giving out missions and such instead of just trying to blow each other up every night.

I like the idea of focusing on smaller player groups and the interaction in between them. It feels like there will be novel game experience there because to be honest, Freedom vs Duty has been done to death in the past, I think it's time to try something different.

jaik

It's much easier to let the playerbase run factions that they want. Meaning if players want to make F/D, they can just do so by making a playerbased group with the same name, along with using the same uniforms and weaponry, if they can acquire them. The idea of having "official" factions that are given special treatment, which would be considered unfair preference in normal conditions, is aged and has proven to be a pain in the ass than a working concept. This is why situating the canon a year before the events of the games will be conducive for story-telling.

The influence you speak of must be erased completely to give everyone a fair platform to roleplay on. Nobody should have an upper-hand just because they play in a faction that is considered "major" by the game lore.  Roleplay is about story-telling, in fact, that is what it is, a form of collective story-telling. Why should someone suffer inherently because they prefer the idea of being a neutral evil / chaotic neutral character (characters that fall under the category of 'bandits', and actual non-faction mercenaries, such as the ones in SoC, especially 2215 build), where they truly do what their character wishes to do, and not what the OOC situation forces them to do.

In fact, the binary world that persists in most roleplaying servers is catalyzed by the enshrined major factions who enforce their "ideology" on the server OOC. This creates a situation where you can't do what you actually want to do, as one would be able to in the Zone/Wasteland/Metro/<Insert stereotypical post-apoc environment>. Here is a graphical demonstration of the current situation.

I think that Freedom and Duty should be there to enhance roleplay, but not to turn the game into a game of securing resources and power instead of roleplay. They should have semi-permanent bases that can rotate through events of something of the like, but make it so that the two can't war on each other except during events.

I just remember Freedom and Duty fighting a lot during the old days, and all the other players got caught in between and it sort of hijacked the server and experience because there were sometimes ~8-10 players on each side on at a time. If we limit the number of people on each faction, and make it so they do things other than fight each other, then it could be more enjoyable for smaller player groups. They could focus more on giving out missions and such instead of just trying to blow each other up every night.

I like the idea of focusing on smaller player groups and the interaction in between them. It feels like there will be novel game experience there because to be honest, Freedom vs Duty has been done to death in the past, I think it's time to try something different.

F/D/<Insert a major faction duo> are factions that conceptually have one goal: provide the player either something to ally with or shoot at. They enhance roleplay only to the extent that the players in the factions themselves are able to do so, the factions themselves do not play a role in this. Playing "Faction Wars" at any level on a roleplaying server is just trying to facilitate for the lack of roleplay and creativity. Clear Sky is an excellent Faction War simulator (especially with the mod), go play that, really.

Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Ragolution

jaik

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-07-2014
As a D&D player, NO THIS IS FUCKING WRONG

What a great refutation.

As a (former) GMod player, yes, this is right.

Locke

Ragolution

Quote from: Jake on 01-07-2014
As a D&D player, NO THIS IS FUCKING WRONG

What a great refutation.

As a (former) GMod player, yes, this is right.

Man FUCK your snarky comments, the 9-fold alignment system is fucking shit and you know it. If you really want to debate it we can take this somewhere else.

Tom

quick question. Why is the "remove duty/freedom" option split up between two options? Reread the thread and that other option and nowhere does anyone suggest removing military is a good idea. I know you dont like the idea of having freedom and duty blake but that doesnt mean you can split the votes like that :p
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

jaik

Wait, what's wrong about it?

What are you referring to?

Man FUCK your snarky comments, the 9-fold alignment system is fucking shit and you know it. If you really want to debate it we can take this somewhere else.

Snarky comments? I copied your empty response that you gave to a post on which I spent more than a second of my time. You complaining about such a small thing just highlights your hypocrisy.

Quote from: Tom on 02-07-2014
quick question. Why is the "remove duty/freedom" option split up between two options? Reread the thread and that other option and nowhere does anyone suggest removing military is a good idea. I know you dont like the idea of having freedom and duty blake but that doesnt mean you can split the votes like that :p

He needs more than just three core factions(Monolith, Military, Ecologists) to be in at the same time/desert from.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Jake on 02-07-2014
He needs more than just three core factions(Monolith, Military, Ecologists) to be in at the same time/desert from.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

Quote from: SilverKnight on 02-07-2014

Nah, that's for the game, and a part of it is incorrect. Here's a version that represents SRP.

Ragolution

Quote from: Jake on 02-07-2014
Quote from: SilverKnight on 02-07-2014

Nah, that's for the game, and a part of it is incorrect. Here's a version that represents SRP.

jaik

Quote from: Ragolution on 02-07-2014

Also, you're resorting to shit-tier posts without any actual content and yet you were the one whining about 'snarky comments'. Keep on emphasizing your hypocrisy and how misinformed you are.

Locke

You two seriously need to take this bickering elsewhere. You're derailing the thread.