Persona 5 - Best PS4 game 2017 candidate?

Started by Antonio94, 12-06-2017

Antonio94

Currently I've finished Persona 5 (onwards to New Game +) and it is so fantastic in both story and music (which I've got addicted now XD). The combat follows the traditional Persona style with a bit change but it still works perfectly in my opinion.
Since the game is JRPG style so it heavily focuses on story telling, the beginning of the game can be long and tiring for some people. But if we can get pass that point it will be incredible.
Personally I think this is the perfect candidate for the best PS 4 game 2017. What do you think?

CAMaera

uh, I think you're looking in the wrong place if you're looking for a discussion. Go to NeoGAF and get banned or something idk

p5 is alright, I guess. NieR is better as a game.

but then again persona games have never really been...games? In the traditional sense. I mean if you were to splice together all the dialogue sequences and cutscenes, you'd easily dwarf the amount of time you're actually playing the game. It's basically a visual novel with an rpg that's honestly pretty barebones slapped on top of it. The openings of Persona games have always been long(look at p3 or 4) but there's a general feel of mystery and intrigue thrown in, and setups for the plot to take off are sprinkled in to keep people who aren't interested in the 'daily life' aspects of the game interested.

Persona 5's opening is boring as hell, seriously. The only interesting thing that happens is you connecting with your stand-in over how mistreated he is. Compared to p3's opening which wastes no time getting to the supernatural, and p4's which takes only a fraction of a second longer, p5 takes forever to get on with it. Which I understand, the rpg--well the gaming market isn't the same customer base it used to be. But it still feels as stale as a piece of bread left in the back of your pantry since the year 1990. Past the opening, as I said, the game is a visual novel with such a barebones rpg that it makes that one game you made in rpgmaker look like a crazy person's hud in WoW.

Find weakness, hit weakness, all-out attack. It's a flowchart.

The story is pretty good, you fight what is basically Dio as the penultimate boss on a cruise ship while he's riding a giant golden lion made of the bodies of his 'slaves'. You hang out with Laharl in an arcade and he teaches you how to shoot people. You can fish, but that's really barebones too.

So in summary:

Is p5 good?
yes.

Is it the best ps4 game this year?
no, that's NieR.

Is p5 the best persona?
no, that's 3.

is p5 the best rpg to be released in 2017 on the ps4?
FfXII will probably be better as an rpg, and that's a remake.

is p5 the best story told in a game to be released on the ps4 in 2017?
no, that's NieR.

You asked what I thought. You get this.

(also if you want a persona that has interesting combat go play the first one.)

Syndraell

Quote from: CAMaera on 06-07-2017

July 11th. Sold FFXV to buy the remaster because I enjoyed the shit outta FFXII.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Cross

Quote from: Syndraell on 06-07-2017

July 11th. Sold FFXV to buy the remaster because I enjoyed the shit outta FFXII.

FFIX is still the best FF. This is an objective fact and totally not an opinion.
-Insert clever signature here-

CAMaera

Quote from: Cross on 07-07-2017
Quote from: Syndraell on 06-07-2017

FFIX is still the best FF. This is an objective fact and totally not an opinion.

I'll agree with that. Atleast the most focused of them, think they learned something after the jagged low-poly low-story dumpster fire that was 7 and the clusterfuck of systems that was 8. Also the art style was soooo good.

But seriously, have any of you played Persona 1? It's super good in terms of combat. Story is pretty normal SMT stuff going on, but I'm not super far in yet so I can't say for sure. If you like RPG's you owe it to yourself to check it out, it's on psp/vita.