HGN ARMA 2 Server?

Started by deluxulous, 16-12-2011

deluxulous

FIRST OFF: I am posting this in this section because the lower parts of the boards do not attract as much traffic and I feel like  this thread won't get the attention it deserves.
Now then.
What is ARMA 2?

Quote from: wikipediaARMA 2 (often incorrectly referred to as Armed Assault 2[8]) is a tactical shooter video game for the PC developed by Bohemia Interactive Studio.
It is sometimes referred to as being "realistic." This may be the case as it supports realistic weapon handling, squad based tactics, and such, but it is by NO means ultra-realistic. It is a military-simulator.

What are some features?
Quote from: Wikipedia
Equipment ARMA 2 features around 80 realistically represented weapons with many variants from including assault rifles, machine guns, and missile launchers. There are around 130 vehicle variants, and any vehicle that exists in-game can be controlled by the player, including everything from civilian cars, tractors and bicycles. Similarly, all aircraft encountered in the game can be flown by the player. All have limited fuel and realistic weapon loadouts.
  Ballistics All weapons have realistically simulated ballistics. Rounds travel in parabolic trajectories and show effects of bullet drop dependent on their caliber. Muzzle velocities are modeled, and rounds lose velocity and knockdown power over time traveled. The ranges at which weapons are zeroed are fixed in the base game, although the Arrowhead expansion allows this to be modified. Sniper rifles can use stadiametric rangefinding to adjust for long-range shots. US rifles use mil-dot scopes while Russian rifles use Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) scopes such as the PSO-1. In additions, bullets will ricochet from surfaces depending on angle of impact. Penetration is also modeled, with rounds that pass through materials suffering from altered velocity and direction.
  Mission Editor ARMA 2 includes a feature rich mission editor which makes it possible to create user made single player missions or campaigns and multi player missions. Mission editor includes a wizard which makes the creation of basic missions extremely simple. More complex missions can be enhanced with scripting commands. The syntax and interface has been kept largely consistent with ArmA, meaning that missions are easily ported across and that there is a wealth of documentation available for new users.
Modding ARMA 2, like its predecessors, has an extensive support for modding the game. The developers have released a complete suite of tools to modify and create new content for ARMA 2.[13] The Real Virtuality Engine includes a built-in scripting language to do tasks such as control AI characters, create triggers and waypoints, and add post-processing effects.
Additionally, ARMA 2 supports an extensive command structure. Squads can be grouped into larger groups so that the team commander can commence large scale operations with ease, and squad leaders can command their individual units to carry out tasks.

Why ARMA 2?
ARMA 2 is quite simply, a fantastically fun game to play with any amount of people. I've played games with just 2 people including me, up to 40 people at once. Both amounts can have the same amount of fun. What does this mean? No matter how many people are on the server, the players are assured to have a good time. ARMA 2 also has a somewhat alive playerbase, so we might even be able to attract an entirely new audience to HGN. Another thing, I know 35 people who own Operation Arrowhead according to my friends list. Quite a few of them are in HGN.

Another thing is the modding support. We could customize the server to extreme degrees, with custom missions, weapons, players, vehicles, gameplay styles and even entire islands/maps. Some popular mods include ACE (Advanced Combat Environment which adds an extreme amount of new gameplay, vehicles, weapons, etc.), Namalsk, (A custom island/map, with a separate 22 mission campaign), and much more. The popular go-to website for ARMA mods is Armaholic.

That sounds great! But wait, ARMA 2 or Operation Arrowhead?!

I, as well as many other people I have talked to, prefer Operation Arrowhead over ARMA 2. Operation Arrowhead provied a large host of bug fixes, new weapons, maps, vehicles, and other features. Overall, OA is a vast improvement over the already great ARMA 2.

Okay... What kind of server would we have?

I think the server should be mainly focused on one gamemode, but admins should be able to start missions or other gamemodes to suit the amount of players on the server. For example. If people are tired of playing one gamemode, the admin could launch a mission for a large amount of people. Same thing with the small amount of people. Many missions and game-types are co-op, also. AI can be substituted for players.

GAMETYPES: A&D: Attack and Defend. Self explanatory. // AAS: Advance and Secure. Objectives completed in a linear order to win the game. // CTI: Capture The Island. Your mission is to capture several towns around the island, and eventually take control of the entire island. // CTF: Capture The Flag // Domination: Secure points and earn points to make your team win. // SC: Sector Control missions. Control several spots on the map and reach the time limit. // TDM: Team Deathmatch. // TvT Objective: Each side must complete objectives to win. // Warfare: Team-based multiplayer mission and realtime strategy. Two sides (BLUFOR vs. OPFOR) fight for control of the whole map.

Thanks for reading, include support/ideas/etc. below.

MEDIA

http://youtu.be/H_41u9dQuI8 -- Teaserish sort of thing.

http://youtu.be/Vy_osU-eA8s -- Cool.

Chippy

I was thinking of this earlier. Other than the actual gamemodes of the game...I was thinking it would be nice to use the game for the STALKER roleplay too. The game can have a great feel (since it is a simulation) and I would enjoy it alot. But the only flaw in this is...the map is HUGE. It is literally a country. But if we got a playerbase of 100 or so for it. It would be a blast.

I love arma. Even a normal server would be great to play with my upcoming video card >:D

deluxulous

Quote from: Chippy on 16-12-2011
I was thinking of this earlier. Other than the actual gamemodes of the game...I was thinking it would be nice to use the game for the STALKER roleplay too. The game can have a great feel (since it is a simulation) and I would enjoy it alot. But the only flaw in this is...the map is HUGE. It is literally a country. But if we got a playerbase of 100 or so for it. It would be a blast.

I love arma. Even a normal server would be great to play with my upcoming video card >:D

I'd really like to stay geared towards regular, non-rp gamemodes. It would probably start killing off our already diminished playerbase for SRP in Gmod, which we have worked (and are still working on) for so long. I agree, it would be great to have, but I think a non-RP server would suit us best and also provide a different flavor for the community.

But, that's just my opinion. Realised I sounded really commanding there.

Dug

Might be a good reason to play ARMA 2 again. Let me know if this gets off the ground.

lolKieck

Yeah, but I'd like to use ACE for the wound system at least. Not to mention it has a lot of extra guns (M16A2's with scopes and grenade launchers, AKM's with scopes and GP-25's).
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Chippy

Not to mention this game CAN be free.

There is a free version of the game that has lowres graphics, and a slightly slower engine to the world. (When you shoot somebody, and they ragdoll, they fall in slow motion kinda. Well at least this is for me.)

The other thing about the Free version is that you can play on the In game mods, but cannot host it. (I have played the zombie survival mode with my friend, aswell as the roleplay server that reminds me too much of darkrp)

So. Anybody can play, as long as their computer isn't too horrible. And if u want the real game with beautiful graphics you can buy it for like $20.00 USD now-a-days.

Frostee

Are we talking regular ARMA 2, OA or Combined Ops?

Chrono

Well, count me in. I suggest we use ACE too (even if i'm really lazy to download it) It adds alot of good things etc  etc, oh and zombie survival looks fun...if we don't end on the opposite side of the island.

deluxulous

Quote from: FrostyFrosty on 17-12-2011
Are we talking regular ARMA 2, OA or Combined Ops?

Probably just OA, free ARMA 2 doesn't allow mods, and OA has better features as I said earlier. A very small group of people have Combined Ops, but I think there might be a way to get ARMA 2 content into OA.

Again, it's not my decision. First we have to see if Exile will even consider it.

lolKieck

Hmmm. Chernarus zombie survival, preferably with few survivor outposts and with ACE, that'd be pretty awesome. Though we would have to make every civilian and soldier BLUFOR.

Frostee

There always is that Stalker like mod, for in which adds a new map, characters, bloodsuckers, zombies and vehicles.

deluxulous

Quote from: FrostyFrosty on 17-12-2011
There always is that Stalker like mod, for in which adds a new map, characters, bloodsuckers, zombies and vehicles.

Quote from: PistolKid on 16-12-2011

I'd really like to stay geared towards regular, non-rp gamemodes. It would probably start killing off our already diminished playerbase for SRP in Gmod, which we have worked (and are still working on) for so long. I agree, it would be great to have, but I think a non-RP server would suit us best and also provide a different flavor for the community.

reading, learn, etc.

Dug

It'd be fun to try the stalker mod.

INA7HAN

I like the idea about zombie survival. Will be really fun with lots of people. Like lets say we make a base, we have people doing different jobs like guarding the outpost and some people going on scavenge hunts for weapons,ammo and vehicles.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

lolKieck

Zombie survival shall be with ACE. Lots of pistols and other weapons.

Dug

Zombie survival is epic hehe.

lolKieck

In case of using zombies in ArmA, are we going to use Charon's undead mod or some zombie module (only script, no new units)?

deluxulous

We can do whatever we want, admins etc. have the ability to change missions and gamemodes inside the server. Like I said, we can have a combination of things on the server and switch gamemodes etc. when we feel like it. Which is the beauty of the whole thing.

Frostee

deluxulous

Only problem with heavily modded content is that everyone needs to download it, so we'll have to have a comprehensive list of all required downloads.

jaik

rp on arma 2 is as good as roleplaying a war theme on mw3
it doesnt work
and never will
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

INA7HAN

Have a vote or something? I think the zombie survival will work best. Isn't RP heavy and will be really fun with people

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

lolKieck

Quote from: PistolKid on 18-12-2011
Only problem with heavily modded content is that everyone needs to download it, so we'll have to have a comprehensive list of all required downloads.
OR we could make a content pack of ours. In parts when needed.

deluxulous

First we have to see if Exile will even consider it ;c

Frostee

You do know servers are free to host for you and friends, right? Just start a server up....