DLC Wars - Don't Buy Mass Effect 3 Boycott it!

Started by Silver Knight, 11-03-2012

Silver Knight

EA pulls A Capcom: New Video Shows Mass Effect 3 Day-One DLC Already On Disc

QuoteYesterday I talked about the problems with day-one DLC and the importance of building brand trust.

After listening to long-time fans of BioWare and their games – especially the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series – the inescapable sentiment is clear: fans, and particularly super-fans of these games, feel betrayed. BioWare may disagree, and may think that the gamers are ranting for no good reason. And I have no reason to believe that BioWare isn't trying to make great games for their fans.

The problem is one of perception. Videos like this, which contradict so much of what BioWare and EA have been saying about the downloadable content, only serve to shatter that trust even more.

Here's what gamers have been saying:

1. Since BioWare joined forces with EA, their games have gone from cerebral, complex, and unique to simplified games that sacrifice gameplay for story.

2. Worse, for games built around story, the mythology, at least in the Mass Effect franchise, has been changed in ways that make what was supposed to be a progressively unfolding plot incoherent. Many of the complaints I have heard are similar to those of Lost fans, disappointed with that show's bizarre finale. As a Lost fan, I can certainly empathize.

3. The day-one DLC gives off the impression that BioWare and EA are more interested in squeezing cash out of their customers than in providing a quality game from the start.

(There are many other complaints, but this is the primary trifecta.)

The above video will only add fuel to the fire. With BioWare stating that the "From Ashes" was not developed alongside the rest of the game and not included on the disc, and a simple hack showing that this is not the case, it's hard to see how the developer can possibly respond in a satisfying way.

As I've said previously, I want BioWare to succeed. I think many of its fans (and former fans) do as well. When your biggest fans start "ranting" about things like day-one DLC, the best thing to do is to listen and try to figure out why. That old adage "The customer is always right" applies here. Of course it's not always true that the customer is always right, but it's certainly important to take customer concerns into account rather than merely deflect them. It's good for business.

Video that brought it to light:
Requiem for EA/BioWare
Important Video about why to boycott ME3:
Why I think Bioware has gone too far with Mass Effect 3

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Silver Knight

In Short, why to boycott:

Day One DLC (Releasing dlc at the same time as the original game - dlc was originalled put forward for shitty console services like xbox where you had to download the updates via the network and microsoft made developers pay to host so they put a price on the dlc meaning you had to buy)

Day One DLC on the DISC ( Downloadable Content... on the disc already, how low can you go, you buy a game for £35 quid and already have all the dlc what should be free but is locked.)

Boycott DLC altogether, it's evil, it's a con to get more money out of the consumer when it should be free. You like steam's free updates on it's games like counter strike source right? It's the same thing really, except EA are making you buy these updates, in most cases around £10 for 1 hour extra gameplay.

Paintcheck

For a boycott to work you can't pirate the game either. That shows the dev you want it and are just a cheap bastard.

Which is why this will fail because HGN is full of entitled shits who steal everything they can already. Boycotts don't work if you still use the product. Plus EA doesn't give a shit.

EDIT: Why is my avatar so huge? weird.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Paintcheck on 11-03-2012
For a boycott to work you can't pirate the game either. That shows the dev you want it and are just a cheap bastard.

Which is why this will fail because HGN is full of entitled shits who steal everything they can already. Boycotts don't work if you still use the product. Plus EA doesn't give a shit.

Pirating it is still boycotting it, ea wanted to con more money out of it's legit players, pirating it would show them not they shouldn't try to profit at legit users expense as they will resort to pirating it\not buying it?

Corocan

Quote from: Paintcheck on 11-03-2012

This man knows us.

Knife_cz

Welp, this is the time of DLCs, every game has DLCs you can't do anything about it.
It is a trend of 2011-X.
But still better than CoD's DLCs which add only maps for really unfair price, no :|?

Ragolution

I have never purchased a DLC in my life. Fact.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Ragolution on 12-03-2012

I accidently bought a killingfloor pack, but that's about it.

Ragolution

Quote from: Last.Exile on 12-03-2012

Poor Silver... Oh poor silver.. Just another cog in the corporate machine.

lolKieck

Uhhh, DLC's are nice if they're actually add-ons, not BioWare's coupon cutting.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Overwatch

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite DLC on the Citadel.

RanmaChan

Whats all this Magicka DLC I see you have played on Steam Port?
Magicka:  Final Frontier, Frozen Lake, Nippon, Party Robes, The Watchtower, Vietnam, Wizards Survival Kit, that is a lot of DLC you have supported the corporate machine with.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: RanmaChan on 12-03-2012

Magicka:  Final Frontier, Frozen Lake, Nippon, Party Robes, The Watchtower, Vietnam, Wizards Survival Kit, that is a lot of DLC you have supported the corporate machine with.

Maybe he got them gifted.

RanmaChan

Quote from: Bl★ck Star on 12-03-2012

That still supports the corporate machine, no?

Ragolution

They were free when I bought them bro.
It was right around christmas and it was some huge deal.

RanmaChan

They were free when I bought them bro.
It was right around christmas and it was some huge deal.

CORPORATE MACHINE FEEDER!   :P

Lucidius

DLC's pretty evil but Killing Floor's DLC is pretty proper and their hearts are in the right place when they make/release it.

The price is right (Specially with sales), it supports the devs (who arn't corporate and cater to their fanbase), the DLC doesn't affect core gameplay or introduce any form of meta and i'm just a sucker for Mike Foster and DJ Skully. THat's DLC that i dont mind buying and supporting.

DLC = Desperate Lowly Corporations in most cases, but I guess the start of the fad could probably be the shitty ecomonomic situation and needing to survive.
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Ragolution

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: Lucidius on 12-03-2012
DLC's pretty evil but Killing Floor's DLC is pretty proper and their hearts are in the right place when they make/release it.

The price is right (Specially with sales), it supports the devs (who arn't corporate and cater to their fanbase), the DLC doesn't affect core gameplay or introduce any form of meta and i'm just a sucker for Mike Foster and DJ Skully. THat's DLC that i dont mind buying and supporting.

DLC = Desperate Lowly Corporations in most cases, but I guess the start of the fad could probably be the shitty ecomonomic situation and needing to survive.

DAYUM, Lucid is back ! :D

lolKieck

Apparently BioWare defenders are saying (basically):
Quote"The customer is wrong, we're right, and they have no right to criticize our game and should instead not buy it, but by not buying the game because they don't like it, they're being entitled and are thus deserving of no place in the industry."
Main idea is that the consuments do NOT deserve anything from game developers and that they deserve money just on working.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Ragolution

Quote from: lolKieck on 13-03-2012
Apparently BioWare defenders are saying (basically):
Quote"The customer is wrong, we're right, and they have no right to criticize our game and should instead not buy it, but by not buying the game because they don't like it, they're being entitled and are thus deserving of no place in the industry."
Main idea is that the consuments do NOT deserve anything from game developers and that they deserve money just on working.

Because less content for more money is appealing to consumers.
Amirite?

Overwatch

I cried when I finished mass effect 3

"WANT TO CONTINUE? BUY THE DLC!"