Dark Souls Prepare to die Edition migration from Games for windows Live to Steam

Started by Knife_cz, 22-10-2014

Knife_cz

21. 10. 2014

We're pleased to announce that next month it will be possible for players to migrate their Dark Souls: Prepare to Die games, saves and achievements from the Games for Windows Live platform to Steam.

-Games for Windows Live users will be able to redeem their Games for Windows Live Tokens on Steam to get Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost. (To find your Games for Windows Live Token, please head to the support webpage: http://bngames.eu/DarksoulsGFWLtokens)
-In the month of November, there will be a period by which Games for Windows Live Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition users will be able to transfer their Save Data (characters + progress) and Achievements over to their Steam accounts.
-Players will still be able to use their Games for Windows Live Tokens to redeem the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost even after the migration period ends; but game Save Data and Achievements transfer functions may not be available.
-Games for Windows Live Rankings will not be transferred to Steam.
The specific migration start and end dates will be available soon; however the migration period will begin sometime in November 2014 with more specific dates to come.

We will be sharing more information soon regarding the migration process soon, so stay tuned!

Link for the update is here. http://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/202985743519497275

Silver Knight

5 years later steam dies and all the old games are rendered useless and the EA giant conquers the titles.

The end is near.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Knife_cz

Quote from: SilverKnight on 22-10-2014
5 years later steam dies and all the old games are rendered useless and the EA giant conquers the titles.

The end is near.
Weren't you the one who said that Steam is evil?

Silver Knight

Quote from: Knife_cz on 22-10-2014

The end is near.
Weren't you the one who said that Steam is evil?

No, i once said Valve has lost it's roots, which it has. It used to be a Video game Studio and now it's a marketplace. They are very successful as they essentially were the first to produce a social networking solution with a built in store and then had many companies adopt them as their main supplier of games (other than retail) aka the the start of the age of digital sales.

However, because of that market foothold they had and with no true (major) - I like Desura but it's not too big) competition since origin (Games for windows live was terrible) they have been able to do as they please. I have never had problems with steam support personally but i know people who have lost their entire steam account due to being hacked, steam will not help you get it back, if you purchase a game and don't like it for whatever reason you cannot get a refund, even if it's literally a minute after your purchase.

Short version:
Essentially they have a huge monopoly and have shitty almost non-existent support.

Pros for Origin:

If you compare Origin to steam, you get great support, you can buy a game and have 24 hours to play it, try it and if you don't like it you can get a full refund. The chat interface is better too, no annoying hyperlink delay\popup, it's shown like a mobile chat device (Like steams mobile app) and has cleaner interface although it's fairly basic too.

Origin also offer free games, trials of the full games before you buy them.

Cons:

Not as many features as steam, very dry community experience, as a studio EA make very poor quality\overpriced games

There's my 2 cents. It's funny thinking that EA who have poor game ethics actually have better ethics when it comes to selling their games and their support.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

Pros for Origin:

If you compare Origin to steam, you get great support

It's funny thinking that EA who have poor game ethics actually have better ethics when it comes to selling their games and their support.

also i got all my accounts back on steam and i lost 2. as long as you can prove the account's yours you'll get it back
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Knife_cz

Origin also comes with a completly free Spyware! Woo, don't take it!
I've also had a positive experience with Steam support, I just provided the CD keys, Email and got my account back.

For the game refunds, well it's honestly your fault that you bought some shit game, do some research. Pre-ordering isn't worth it nowadays after what they done to Dark Souls 2, Marine Aliens and such. I also believe that there were cases when the games were full of lies and the customers actually did get refund.

Origin is full of lies, it brings nothing new, nothing positive and is biased mainly just for EA games after all. They just wanted they own platform instead of Steam, that's it. It failed, it looks horribly. They also have marketers everywhere.

Edit; Steam also offers free games, let's not forget the 2011 Holiday sale where you could get the Coal pieces and get a random game. I got a STALKER : COP out of it.
Then there's Portal, TF2, Red Orchestra 2 and well all the F2P games.