"Outbreak", A CryEngine3 game!

Started by Poopship, 13-06-2011

lolKieck

I suggest adding a variety of weapons and ammo, mostly pistols although I guess you can find a dead convoy of soldiers, but make it some sort of random encounter which is very rare.
Oh yeah, melee weapons. Can you make it that you can use everything as melee?
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

R3BooT

I like the idea of weapon modifications. Such as, adding or removing a scope. Or being able to duck tape a knife onto my gun so I can stab zombies. Needing to sharpen knifes or katanas or any other sharp object in the game that can be used as a weapon would be interesting aswell. Durabillity.
funny gifs

Killor

Quote from: lolKieck on 26-06-2011
I suggest adding a variety of weapons and ammo, mostly pistols although I guess you can find a dead convoy of soldiers, but make it some sort of random encounter which is very rare.
Oh yeah, melee weapons. Can you make it that you can use everything as melee?

We had this already in mind, and for 'use anything as melee' feature was gonna be something like, if you picked up one of these exercise balls(picture) and you could either hit or throw it at a zombie. You couldn't possibly fit that in your invertory.

Quote from: R3BooT on 27-06-2011
I like the idea of weapon modifications. Such as, adding or removing a scope. Or being able to duck tape a knife onto my gun so I can stab zombies. Needing to sharpen knifes or katanas or any other sharp object in the game that can be used as a weapon would be interesting aswell. Durabillity.

Sometimes durability features in some games bug me personally. But for maybe for something like Hardcore mode we can work out such a thing were it may wear down and not be as effective, but can be used forever.

Weapon Mods, personally I was gonna suggest what Crysis did and you press a button and you can change attachments on the fly.

lolKieck

Improvised weaponry, such as a flamethrower from a zippo lighter and a deodorant. Or a stick with a knife on the end (spear), maybe even zip guns.

Killor

Quote from: lolKieck on 27-06-2011
Improvised weaponry, such as a flamethrower from a zippo lighter and a deodorant. Or a stick with a knife on the end (spear), maybe even zip guns.

Adds to the realism, crafting bench maybe?

lolKieck

Also, you could add in classes. Like a doctor (a logical place to respawn would be a barricaded house, maybe you were resting when the zombies started to eat everybody), a technician, a police officer.
Each would have their own traits.

Killor

Also, you could add in classes. Like a doctor (a logical place to respawn would be a barricaded house, maybe you were resting when the zombies started to eat everybody), a technician, a police officer.
Each would have their own traits.

This would probably be a no, to the idea of classes and let me explain why.

Classes are an idea for RPG's, but the way we see it is that is it might well end up being a skill progression system like seen in the game Oblivion or Weapon proficiencies seen in Borderlands. This will allow everyone to rank up what they like doing most, and if they picked a class they didn't like thats good at what they find wasn't used most often, this may be...slipping for cooperative modes.

The Suggestions are good btw, keep them up :)

R3BooT

I was just about to post about skills. But you beat me to it. Skills are a must haz. Also, injuries should hinder you. If you so happen to get shot by a bullet, make it so you bleed and/or fall over for a few seconds. And falling from a great height would break your legs.
funny gifs

lolKieck

Although a big no for Operation Flashpoint-like injuries (not red river, nor the Bohemian one). I don't want to limp around to the end of the game because I fell from 2-meter wall.

Steel

Although a big no for Operation Flashpoint-like injuries (not red river, nor the Bohemian one). I don't want to limp around to the end of the game because I fell from 2-meter wall.

Then you patch yourself up. I'd like to see a rather in-depth injury system that would utilise a few brains, such as the use of splints, epinepherine, adrenaline, bandages etc.

lolKieck

Quote from: Steel on 27-06-2011

Then you patch yourself up. I'd like to see a rather in-depth injury system that would utilise a few brains, such as the use of splints, epinepherine, adrenaline, bandages etc.
I meant after.

Steel

Yer, but I'm talking... Oh crap I'm wounded, I need to find a safe point because this is pretty bad and
Could take me at least 5 minutes to patch myself. Not a simple medic bag click type system, but to the extent that you have to physically diagnose yourself and apply the correct method of healing.

lolKieck

Yer, but I'm talking... Oh crap I'm wounded, I need to find a safe point because this is pretty bad and
Could take me at least 5 minutes to patch myself. Not a simple medic bag click type system, but to the extent that you have to physically diagnose yourself and apply the correct method of healing.
That's a cool idea.
What about looting, is the world going to be varied or like in FO3, everything is the same?

Renay

Love the idea of the Oblivion skill system.
About injuries: They are a must have in any survival game.

lolKieck

Quote from: Renay on 27-06-2011
Love the idea of the Oblivion skill system.
About injuries: They are a must have in any survival game.
It depends, I don't want to stick with limping to the end of the game or wait few weeks, so the broken bone will heal properly.

Renay

I know what you mean, the injuries should be as realistic as possible while keeping the game fun for the player. It would need a really good system for different injuries. Maybe it could work like some fallout mods, reducing certain skills or something like that. Or maybe you just limp for a day.

Steel

Like i said, something similar to maybe MGS3:Snake Eater. A system that is thorough, with an actual logical way of healing requiring you to have the correct equipment, may need ya to loot a few chemists.

lolKieck

Like i said, something similar to maybe MGS3:Snake Eater. A system that is thorough, with an actual logical way of healing requiring you to have the correct equipment, may need ya to loot a few chemists.
Ohhhh. You should have said MGS 3 straight away. I like it.

Killor

That's a cool idea.
What about looting, is the world going to be varied or like in FO3, everything is the same?

Looting will be similar to Fallout 3, but I'm going to try some random item system like when you open a chest in our game it may be similar to opening a chest in Borderlands? When I get to that stage in development I'll see about adding that functionality.

I have been following the Injury system discussion, and I will continue to do so until we at our company come to a decision whether or not to implement it in Hardcore mode.

Edit: In regards to some confusion on the location and the fact you guys get a preview of the area, heres a streetview link of a mall you guys will most likely raid! : Link

It's gonna be an intresting time for us :)

lolKieck

You guys are going to make another ArmA II (terrain from real geographical data) or play around and make few more buildings?
What about other survivors in the game, NPCs, will they be present?

Killor

Quote from: lolKieck on 28-06-2011
You guys are going to make another ArmA II (terrain from real geographical data) or play around and make few more buildings?
What about other survivors in the game, NPCs, will they be present?

Those 2 citys Colwood and Langford are being re-done in terms of houses, landmarks and other things.

NPC's will ofcourse be present, and you will meet factions.

Steel

Quote from: Killor on 27-06-2011
That's a cool idea.

Looting will be similar to Fallout 3, but I'm going to try some random item system like when you open a chest in our game it may be similar to opening a chest in Borderlands? When I get to that stage in development I'll see about adding that functionality.

I have been following the Injury system discussion, and I will continue to do so until we at our company come to a decision whether or not to implement it in Hardcore mode.

Edit: In regards to some confusion on the location and the fact you guys get a preview of the area, heres a streetview link of a mall you guys will most likely raid! : Link

It's gonna be an intresting time for us :)

I got to be honest with you, separating a Survival horror with hardcore and standard mode dosent sound good to me, I think healing should always be in-depth, and I fear with this separation there will be a degree of Arcady type zombie sandbox.

Killor

Quote from: Steel on 28-06-2011
Quote from: Killor on 27-06-2011
That's a cool idea.

I got to be honest with you, separating a Survival horror with hardcore and standard mode dosent sound good to me, I think healing should always be in-depth, and I fear with this separation there will be a degree of Arcady type zombie sandbox.

I understand this, but the way I'm seeing it may be too complicated for some. So healing may just have to be finding food(for short bursts) or finding med-kits.

Total Indepth Realism is not what we are going for, we are aiming towards the most fun you can have in a zombie survival game.

I hope none of you are worried about the game not turning out right, we know whats good for our baby :)

Steel

Oh I'm not saying anything Complicated, I'm just saying it would be nice to have a medical system, basic yet in-depth, where certain injuries will require certain things, just means you'd have to scavenge medical supplies. Like splints etc.

Killor

Quote from: Steel on 28-06-2011
Oh I'm not saying anything Complicated, I'm just saying it would be nice to have a medical system, basic yet in-depth, where certain injuries will require certain things, just means you'd have to scavenge medical supplies. Like splints etc.

Oh in that case, sure. Even for normal mode sure.