The Shadow Of City 18

Started by Das Pirate, 05-04-2012

Das Pirate

The Shadow Of City 18

The story begins with a man in unrest, the simple complaints about the occupation of Earth growing into something of importance.  The core of the problem arises from abuse of the power given to the "Combine" , power being the key element. A man faced with an extraordinary challenge, ultimately failing against the wrath of the Combine. Abuse, a simple unit feeling he is greater than the vermin he is suppose to protect and deciding to put these "vermin" in their place. A show of power, slaughtering those who are innocent for the mistakes of a single man, allowed for the creation of something new. This new feeling, a feeling of complete scorn, was the event that allowed for a stand of courage.

Courage, a rare commodity in this twisted world, was the only thing standing between freedom and the slavery imposed by the Combine. People viewed the idea of this crazy, hopeless, dangerous, and mostly just plain stupid. However, a man, faced with nothing else to lose, took it upon himself challenge this popular idea of the defeatists. Speaking to those he actually trusted with great care, he was expelled from most of their lives, seen as insane and misinformed.  Though those courageous and brave do not surrender at the first sign of opposition, soon this one man was hosting secretive rallies, preaching to those that did not dismiss him.

At a slow pace, more began to follow the same moral aspect. Though it remained as the small group of trusted "friends." Decisions were made, they felt action had to be taken against their oppressors. Though the man remained true to his philosophy, preaching more civil disobedience as a statement that "we are not them." Quickly the idea spread through those believers, men and women taking action to suppress the opposition; people began to share their rations, distributing their credits to those in need, giving shelter to those "anti-citizens" , and mostly giving food out towards the lesser well off.

However this bliss could not last, somehow the word was let out to those they tried to avoid. Many of these do-gooders were declared "anti-citizen" and snuffed out by the Combine. Outrage ran through the ranks of the followers, however the man who started it all remained cool headed.  Still the man preached "we are not them" , yet in the discussion, the Combine became dehumanized. Small acts of violence towards the Combine arose, the occasional beating of an officer, the weekly raid of Combine supplies. It was not known who committed these atrocities towards the Combine, yet it was linked to the group. Once again, these members distributed food, rations, and other supplies... in greater force and in more instances.

Men and women spoke of who these people were, aptly naming them shadows. Among the citizens, they became known as "The Shadow of City 18." The name stuck to the group, feeling it as their definition. Though even this new way of life could not last. The Combine took notice instantly, rooting out the members over the next few months of violence. A number of men and women were declared  "The cause of your pain..." and publicly executed. This built up massive outrage within the group of heroes, men and women swore to use the few weapons they've obtained to make the Combine pay. However... the man stood proudly infront of his loyal followers, declaring that "Dieing for a good cause may be honorable, but surviving for an even greater cause... is what this city needs." Calm feelings ran through the ranks, nonetheless increased violence and death ran rampant. The hidden group was blamed, as it was their fame being the cause. Members of the group screamed for their disestablishment, loyal followers turned themselves in asking for the violence to stop; all were executed.

With little to no followers remaining, the man who was the spark of it all simply continued on, as violence ceased he once again used the little resources he had left to distribute wealth to the people. The man continues on today in City 18, his identity unknown to all except members of his secluded group.

**Subject to change

Th3Wastelander

This post gave me hope.

Corocan

I'm quite impressed, actually. I've seen too many official Resistance leaders abuse their powers, saying "We just robbed dis hurr train of combeen suppliez and now we got an armory" and making admins give them vests and guns and shit.

You wanna know what I got when I joined the official resistance back on Mobius?

Thirty sheets of paper.

lolKieck

Oh my god, Resistance leaders who try to include normal citizens? Well that's something new.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Das Pirate

Applications for founding resistance members will be open soon.

Madcombat

I honestly don't advise applications, applications always give people the ability to sub-conciously metagame.  I advise a hidden section to the Resistance and those secretly accepted get added to the secret section which would have a roster.  Besides, resisting should not be some thing you apply for, it should be able to spring naturally from the character.

Knife_cz

Quote from: Madcombat on 06-04-2012
I honestly don't advise applications, applications always give people the ability to sub-conciously metagame.  I advise a hidden section to the Resistance and those secretly accepted get added to the secret section which would have a roster.  Besides, resisting should not be some thing you apply for, it should be able to spring naturally from the character.
So you mean, IC recruiting?

Das Pirate

Was not my idea, personally I believe in "in character everything". But I did come up with something to counter act metagaming. PMing the APPs, and not having the roster. Also, towards the idea of that resistance isn't something you can apply for, I believe if the backstory is good enough and the character is already pre-developed that is still resistance springing up from character development. With IC recruiting I need a base of members to start, I enjoy IC recruiting but it would be impossible with out a small base of people.

Blake.H

I added a pic, just for effect if you dont like it scrap it :)

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Das Pirate

Quote from: Longlostblake on 07-04-2012
I added a pic, just for effect if you dont like it scrap it :)

Looks good, fits the blank appearance of the Rebels.