Reinstate PAC HateMaker?

Started by Bielecki, 12-05-2010

Bielecki

So I made a thread not long ago suggesting that we could have Gasmask and helmet items that could be worn on the player, but then people started to suggest something called PAC.
Now if you have no idea what that is, it's a type of tool that allows the player to create his own hats and even suits.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=72932

I thought to myself about it and figured that it would be a whole lot easier then making another script, something that would be a strain on Silver and Supercool. (Since they are already having to fix Srp after the Gmod update)

Now, I realize PAC actually used to be on the server way before I joined HGN.
I also heard that there were a lot of problems that came along with it, the most significant being people making Gillie suits.
To resolve this I strongly suggest that its return comes along with an application board, something similar the ToolsTrust board. (Eg. 2 SA's... reasons why, how long have you been around..)
I personally don't feel that it's a hard thing to regulate, its hard for players to get away with having a robotic suit or something similarly stupid since they would stick out like a sore thumb.

Tell me what you think, thanks for reading.

Duranblackraven

I support this, have the admins crack down hard on people that want to add stupid shit to their bodies. The apps would also weed out a good chunk of the idiots before they get to it. My only con towards it is it DOES take a bit of tooling around to get things right, and it's a pain, but I could see how it could make things ALOT easier. Plus, we won't have to rely solely on the buggy holster script to show your weapons on your body.

Pawx

+Support

It will give RP a extra feel. Plus apps will block out the Abusive Players from using it.

Bagelz

I loved the Hatmaker. Always fun to stick buckets all over your character and scream "I live in a giant bucket".

Nova

It's a good idea I think. I would love to walk around without a Mask and such. +Support from me

Plunger

The problem wasn't that people abused it, but that that it lags the server.

Bielecki

Quote from: Plunger on 12-05-2010
The problem wasn't that people abused it, but that that it lags the server.

Then maybe a prop limit is in order?

Cutch

The thing is that even if someone was limited to one or two props it would still equal to 20-40 props. The proper thing to do is have people apply to have specific items within their PAC to keep the flood of props out.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Zstan

Must..have..scrap..armor.

Bielecki

Quote from: Cutch on 12-05-2010
The proper thing to do is have people apply to have specific items within their PAC to keep the flood of props out.

Thats a great idea, and there must be a good IC reason why and how they have that item.

Silver Knight

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Assassinator

Quote from: Last.Exile on 13-05-2010
Wrong forum.

It is an idea and this IS the feedback/idea forum.

Turkey

This is a great idea but!
Players are going to:
-Put on props the shouldn't
-Loners/STALKERs will have knifes and guns on them
-And completly abuse this, There will have to be VERY STRICT RULES!

Bielecki

The applications should rinse out the people who would abuse like that.
Much like TT, if someone abuses they will have it taken away from them and I dont think many people would risk that.

Turkey

Lucidius

I would say -Support but I don't use this server so my opinion is negated.

From the last thread about hat maker for SRP, it wa found to use Ragdoll Inflation or some other such method to shrink ragdolls, which lagged/crashed the server.

If that was to be fixed, I'de say go for it, but as is, it'de jsut make the server more unstable then it already is.
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Bielecki

I think you thinking of something called 'clothes maker' or something like that.
Hatmaker has nothing to do with inflation, it just places objects on your player model. 

Lucidius

Nope,

http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/scrapyard/%28request%29-hatmaker/

Used the forum search feature, it's above this thread.

Edit: /thread?
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Ravanger

I think if we can get the PAC restricted to only certain people, like another application you can apply for that is after you get tooltrust.

Aresty

+Support
Yeah, It is a good Idea. Altought some rules must be made to prevent abusing and lag.

Genesis

+SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT +SUPPORT
+SUPPORT

Flash

+Support , Ive played with the PAC in singleplayer. Very nifty tool I would like this on the server.

Plunger

The map we're currently using is already extremely unstable as is. When a lot of props are added which PAC Hatmaker does it just further causes problems, and anyone who is thinking, "Get a better computer!" can stop right there, because it's a server side problem not a client side problem, ping is raised to extreme levels, and the server starts to lag. It'd be cool, but playability before customization.

-support

alex4576

It could cause lag but it is a great idea

KillSlim

Quote from: alex4576 on 24-08-2010
It could cause lag but it is a great idea

Christ almighty look at the post dates. You're 3 months late to the discussion.

I'm also late to the discussion. I don't know if my support would matter, but I have to say the Hat maker or whatever we used previously didn't cause lag. Alucard's previous comment is correct, however the newest update of Sector 42 has brilliantly improved optimization and stability; people often crash because the source engine was never meant for huge free roam maps, it was intended for smaller linear based maps for Half Life 2 and such.

Why not give it a try on the newest map update? Strictly enforced rules accompanied by applications would be a good idea to filter out the potential idiots.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window