Script Discussion

Started by Silver Knight, 13-08-2010

Which Script would you like HGN to continue With?

RadiationScript 1.5 (Current)
16 (32.7%)
RadiationScript 3.2 (Nexus)
33 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Silver Knight

So now that i have worked my ass off on that map, other than another possible edit of the map to make it even more stable. I want to talk about the further development of the script, but as such perhaps using nexus\blueprint would be a nicer way to go.

Here's the notable pro's and con's

Nexus's Pros;
Stable\less crashy

List Inventory (Shown in a organised list by category type aka ammo weapon food etc)

Flagged equipment
(When flagged for the first time you can get issued starter kit which is beneficial to new factions and allows donators to also start with starter equipment further enhancing the rpg feel.)

Stashes (Players will be able to make stashes, put items inside, password it and store their stuff inside, traders and other people could sell stash points and codes to each other around the map.)

Multiple Servers
(With the script using SQL as it's primary database we can have multiple server using the same data allowing you to leave one server and join another and maintain your data throughout.)

SQL; (Applying to what's said above SQL is a much more efficient and faster way to store data, it can store much more, queries can be run which can open up more doors to things such as realtime management of factions which would allow you to remove members from your faction or rank them up. This also applies to other things which could be stored such as player groups and faction materials.)

Cons; It's a new script, alot of stuff would have to be edited\changed overtime and we will be missing alot of the key features which made Radiationscript great for awhile such as fully functioning suit, suit stats, mutants and all the other exclusive features such as the radar; these all of course would be brought over in time.

The current Radiationscript doesn't really have much going for it at the moment and is somewhat limited with what it can do and the stuff that is working is falling to pieces overtime, however she still maintains a fair few of her features.

So i ask you, in this slightly biased topic which Script would you like to see developed further, the current RadiationScript or essentially RadiationScript 3.2.
s

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

RG4ORDR

Take Looting the FUCK AWAY!
er

Khorn

I would suggest to have people who haven't tried the Nexus script, try it on another server, before discussing which is better.
I only played on 2 servers that used Nexus, IG Fallout, and NnG RP. Both had kinda crappy communities though.

I like how the Nexus menus are more polished, but are more annoying to access.

The typing system is nice because it shows 'Typing'=OOC, 'Talking'=IC, 'Performing'=/me.

I've seen the Title system, and the recognize player thing. I disliked it. Made it confusing when talking to a group of strangers.

[An ruffian.....] '*Chat*'
[A Tall dar.....] '*Chat*'
[A short fa.....] '*Chat*'
[A black Me.....] '*Chat*'

Majority of the time, chatlogs look like a single person is talking to themselves.

RG4ORDR

I like nexus but things like
Skills
Money looting
Ect make it kinda bad
er

Khorn

I also tried the Nexus, and that choose your own skills thing was badly implemented.

You get 30 points to spend and use a slide bar to choose how many points go into a particular skill.

That slide bar makes it fucking hard to distribute points.

Celtic

Well RG I'm pretty sure Silver can edit some of that stuff out of the script.  Honestly I'll be satisfied with whatever script we use, but I'll throw my vote towards Nexus since it sounds more polished.

Silver Knight

Quote from: RG4ORDR on 13-08-2010
I like nexus but things like
Skills
Money looting
Ect make it kinda bad

Just because i said we are considering nexus does not mean we will leave unappropriate things which do not apply to stalker in the script.

RG4ORDR

I like Nexus better for my own reasons cept things I listed
er

Mangoman

Say we stick with Rad, stalker's had it, and I dont want to change how its been.

Ravanger

Please stay current Nexus brings in minges....Also Nexus will make people obcess with items..I think we should stay with current.Plus Current seems more rpish and Nexus is well...Funky..

Comradebritish

Eh, I've played on servers using nexus, didn't like em, the whole interface is. . . kinda sucky.

Besides you'd just be putting more useless features in, the whole stash thing, people can do that anyway, just because you can put it in a box and password it doesn't make it any different, people don't do it on the server that often anyways.

Plus we have a stable script already, it works, we can use it and Rp with it, I don't see any problems with what we have anyways.
Suspiciously cheesy man sighted on east pier at 9pm.

Khorn

The whole stash thing has both good and bad things.

Pros from my view-

More missions from traders.
Less worry of losing stash if server crashes.
Keep important items in a safe, so you won't lose it if you die.

Cons-

People would start to treat items as treasures and hoard it in lockers and such.
I've heard of people actually breaking into stashes some how and stealing everything inside.(Not sure about it)
Probably won't be used as much as they could.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Comradebritish on 13-08-2010
Eh, I've played on servers using nexus, didn't like em, the whole interface is. . . kinda sucky.

Besides you'd just be putting more useless features in, the whole stash thing, people can do that anyway, just because you can put it in a box and password it doesn't make it any different, people don't do it on the server that often anyways.

Plus we have a stable script already, it works, we can use it and Rp with it, I don't see any problems with what we have anyways.

toggleholster is broken
The script has many holes and exploit - if you guys knew how easy it was to spawn stuff lord knows what would happen.
The script is also the main cause (other than advanced dup) for crashes.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Khorn on 13-08-2010
The whole stash thing has both good and bad things.

Pros from my view-

More missions from traders.
Less worry of losing stash if server crashes.
Keep important items in a safe, so you won't lose it if you die.

Cons-

People would start to treat items as treasures and hoard it in lockers and such.
I've heard of people actually breaking into stashes some how and stealing everything inside.(Not sure about it)
Probably won't be used as much as they could.

Well, you could stash things you didn't want to loose while wondering the zone, players already complain about loosing items in RAD but with stashes you could easily store items you wanted to be kept.

Ace of Hearts

My opinions on the listed pros/cons -

Listed Inventory - Only needed for convienance sake, sure the current inventories can get kinda' cluttered, but it's still alright overall.

Flagged equipment - This is only a good thing if it gives a Rookie player a basic weapon and items (Such as Flashlight, Makarov, box of ammo, PDA, all that in addition to the starting 300 RU) otherwise you're just turning donators into powerhouses.

Stashes - This simply wouldn't be used. Everything you own can easily be carried in your inventory, and only very rarely would you drop an important item, since most of your inventory would likely consist of ammunition and medical supplies that would drop instead.

Multiple Servers - We need this because...? Just to have more map variety, I'm guessing. To be blunt; Not needed.

SQL - Useful as all hell, but if we've gotten by this long without it... Does that really mean we need it now?

Non-functional Suit System/Mutants - Nostalgia Critic - "No" Scene - (Shortened Version)

Current script being outdated/breaking down - It works fine, the crashes are the only major issue. Even then, the server only goes down for what...? 30 seconds maybe? And you can easily move around the map to get back to your RP.

Final Opinion - New script isn't needed, just keep 1.5 in her best condition, and we're fine.

Just call me the naysmith here, but I don't think we need to change.

Comradebritish

^ What he says. . . why waist time on a new script when you can make the one we've got better anyways?

Rook

All you guys that voted for Current, you are traitors to RP.

Comradebritish

STFU, we have opinions, we have voiced them.

AwDs

YES, Along as all out save games are carryed over, its better.
I'm Gay!

Turkey

READ

The new script is better, He doesn't have to pull down the sever to work on it, So You can still play SRp until its ready.

Stashes? If you think thats stupid FUCK OFF!

New equipment, Easyer character system
ABILITY TO DELETE CHARACTERS!
No more meta
read the first page lol

Change is good.

Ace of Hearts

Quote from: Alexander Degtyarev on 13-08-2010The new script is better

That's a matter of opinion; Don't enforce yours as if it's truth.

Turkey

Quote from: SimplyStealth on 13-08-2010
Quote from: Alexander Degtyarev on 13-08-2010The new script is better

That's a matter of opinion; Don't enforce yours as if it's truth.

The new script is better, Read the cons.. And read the pros.

Tom

Ill play on a NExus server or google Nexus script and ill get back to ya eh silver?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

ISPYUDIE

Doesn't Nexus have backdoors? I assume you've magic'd them out.

New script would be good, nice change and all.

Dug

QuoteOh no! It brings minges!

That's why we admins are here.

QuoteOh no! I lose my characters!

Well sacrifice must be made for the better of roleplay and the server it self.

QuoteBut it's confusing, the titles, oh god nooooo! My eyes!!

At least it cuts down on meta.
No more names poping up so you can't meta, unless you know the person.

Not to mention we get stashes, holy shit, traders can give you stash locations for money or rewards. Now how about that? Imagine you get lucky.

An actual weight system. Holy shit , fuck yes! Yes , yes , yes!
You can't carry 9999999999999999999999 items anymore!
Now you can even get employed by a trader to carry some stuff for him.

Also, Oh my god you can get hungry! Fuck yes!! And you don't die!
I've seen it, I didn't die. But your stats go down.

We got all those food items, and people rarely use them. You can't really control how fast you are getting hungry or not. So I think we should keep that.

Nexus has so many good things we can use and edit.
Remaining on Radscript 1.5 , would be a stalemate , at least I think so.
Never know what Exile can pull off on it.