Scoutfreak's guide for medical roleplay.

Started by scoutfreak, 10-11-2009

scoutfreak

The purpose of this guide is to impart information, not to be funny. I've written rather silly guides in the past that have served their purpose fairly well and taught quite a few people how to Roleplay, despite the fact that the content is absolutely hilarious. As stated, this guide is not that sort of guide. I intend to provide a serious and clear guide on how to properly do medical Roleplay, or, for the purposes of this guide (more like for the purposes of my fingers) MRP. Some of this guide is part of Berkut's guide on the subject of getting shot. It isn't copy+pasted because I couldn't find the original forum post, but it is typed straight up from the paper because I printed the thing. So, without further delay, I present to you "A Guide to Medical Roleplay" by Scoutfreak

Basically, summarizing Berkut's quide, heavier rounds cause more stopping power and lighter rounds cause less. Getting hit with a rifle will knock you down. Plain and simple. Whether or not it kills you is up to the shooter, the target, the round, the area affected, the doctor/medic, and the admins. In short, there's a lot of things that can happen when you get shot in a serious Garry's Mod RP. So save myself from writing a massive novel on this subject, I'll zoom in on parts of that list. The round, the area affected, and the doctor/medic are the parts that this guide is meant for. If you find the other parts interested, talk to them. The shooter, the target, and the admins are all people that you can discuss these things with. Now, on with the guide; FMJ rounds, or full-metal-jacket rounds, are going to whistle right through you. I'm not particularly sure what the 7.92x57mm round of the Kar98K is, so if anyone would like to enlighten me (and, in turn, the rest of the people who read this guide) please do so. Anyways, FMJ rounds that whistle through you push things out of the way. Back to the first sentence of this paragraph, heavier rounds push more stuff out of the way and smaller rounds push less stuff out of the way. Either way, usually an FMJ will leave your body, making a rather larger hole than the one it came in, due to the fact that it just pushed a lot of your internal parts out of it's way to get out of you.

What happens after that, you ask? Well, if you've ever gotten a scar, then you know what happens. Scar tissue happens. This wound will never heal correctly due to the fact that there's a bunch of scar tissue in it. It'll leave a nice scar on the outside to show people that you got shot, too, if you live through the encounter. Related to this, when the bullet goes in, it's normally going at super-sonic speeds, which is why gunshots make a lot of noise. When you've in a jet going super-sonic speeds, sound waves are literally being pushed out of the way of your plane. Same thing with a bullet. When it goes inside of you, it's pushing your body tissue out of the way when it gets in there as well and smashing into them with the bullet itself, thus causing massive "compression damage", as Berkut put it. The tissue of your body that's hit with the bullet is going to be utterly messed up. Basically, with JHP rounds (which I think most WW2-era weapons are) you're not going to have to work with the bullet to get it out. It's going to leave the body on it's own, and it's going to leave a trail. The nature of this bullet means it's gonna rip through any body armor you have, too, so anything short of a flak vest (which regular soldiers usually didn't have due to the fact that it's really heavy and not issued to them) is going to be nullified.

To simplify this section, I'm going to quote directly from Berkut's guide.

"Joints and supporting bones. If they get hit, you will either go down or be unable to use that joint/any part of your body which relies on that bone for support. If you get hit in a rib, whatever; it may puncture a lung but it's really nothing life-threatening in itself. Getting your collarbone snapped means your entire shoulder cradle is useless, as the muscles which support your entire shoulder and arm attach to your collarbone. A hit to a long bone in the leg or to your hip will put you down. A hit to your foot, contrary to popular belief, will not knock you over and nor will it stop you from walking. It'll just make it very painful."

Basically, use common sense. If you get shot in the leg, don't keep sprinting; if you get shot in the ribs, don't keep screaming. The wind's gonna be knocked out of you. Continuing, related to pain:

"Joints - especially complex ones like the knee- hurt like buggery as well. Also, if you get hit in a joint, you can forget using it again unless you get it reconstructed."

Pausing there.. Reconstructing joints is going to be very difficult in these times, and impossible on the battlefield. If you get shot in your knee with a .30-06, you won't be using that knee. Period. This is effectively a permanent injury. Resume:

"I don't want to see people get shot in the knee and then find them walking, running, jumping, crawling, or anything like that just after being hit. You should be in a wheelchair, or on crutches. Similarly, if you get hit in the elbow, guess what? Limp arm. Have fun. The shoulder is somewhat harder to destroy (as is the hip), but at the very least you should wait a week or two before using them again. I don't care what you can do in video games, there is no such thing as a magic health vial which can cause destroyed tissues to heal any faster, or at all. If you get hit in a bone, give it a few weeks (2-3) to mend. If you're hit in the stomach or lower back, you're in deep, deep trouble. Aside from massive internal bleeding and damage to vital organs, you're looking at possible (read: likely) septic leakage from your stomach, intestines, and colon. This is very bad. There are a lot of different bacteria in your digestive tract which you don't really want in your bloodstream. Blood poisoning will ensue unless you can stop any leakage in a hurry, and if the leakage is really bad, you'll likely die of said poisoning. Getting shot in a major artery or vein will cause you to bleed out in 8-15 minutes, and the fact that major blood vessels are elastic and often snap back when cut really doesn't do much to help the medics. Getting shot in your voicebox will destroy your ability to talk and will even limit your ability to grunt, end of story. Shots to the jaw will screw up your ability to speak, eat, etc. for a long time. Shots which manage to miss the vital parts of your brain will leave you with memory/sensory loss and can also mess up your ability to plan ahead and really change your personality, depending on which lobe they hit. Copping a round in the face but below the brain will make a mess out of your face, which is irreparable. A round to the base of your skull and straight through your center will wipe out your body center and kill you; a hit to the spinal cord at about shoulder level will make you paralized and probably won't heal ever. A punctured lung is bad, but survivable, as long as you still have one, but if it bloods, you get to drown in your own bodily fluids. A hit to the heart will kill you. If your aorta is punctured, you will die in a few minutes."

I bet a lot of you did the old "tl;dr" trick throughout that, but a lot of it is very important for the medics and to the patient. You can't save someone from a headshot if it was aimed at all (read: it hits your head) and you can't preform open-heart surgery on the battlefield and expect him to live longer than a few minutes. Stay in-character. We're all guilty of doing things that sound plausible but aren't. Read up on the type of wound you're treating and print out some stuff or keep it in your favorites so you can view it easily; while game time might slow down for OOC reasons and other such things such as people going AFK, in real life (and in Roleplay) you don't have an infinite amount of time to try to save someone's life. If you don't act quickly, they'll die. If you don't act at all, they'll die, and if you mess up, they'll likely die. Medics have little room for error. Now on to my part, without using Berkut's guide (I'll tell you if I do).

This section is mainly for field medics. None of us is expected to do in-depth doctoring on a patient. None of us (I think) have gone to medical school, and there is no guide out there that can effectively summarize medical school for us. Even if there were, I doubt many of you would choose to read it; it'd likely be a severely long read and there wouldn't be a lot of interesting information throughout. Lucky for us, field medics aren't supposed to be doctors. They're supposed to stabilize the patient and keep them alive until you can get them to a field hospital, which is basically field doctoring. Some of us may be expected to do this. Keep the patient alive, treat their wounds to the best of your ability, and get them back home so they can see a real doctor and be put into the intensive care unit and their nearest hospital. In our case, this would be Germany. Anyone going to Germany is likely to be out of it for up to six months, unless you escape/there's a miracle/it didn't turn out to be so bad after all/etc. This will translate to a "temporary death", or a situation in which your character isn't going to be there for a while and the rest of your pals assume he (or she) is dead. I'll cover two very simple things in this section, which are the most common on a battlefield: Shock and bleeding.

Shock: In medicine, shock is a critical condition brought on by a sudden drop in blood flow through the body. There is failure of the circulatory system to maintain adequate blood flow. This sharply curtails the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to vital organs. It also compromises the kidney and so curtails the removal of wastes from the body. Shock can be due to a number of different mechanisms including not enough blood volume (hypovolemic shock) and not enough output of blood by the heart (cardiogenic shock). The signs and symptoms of shock include low blood pressure (hypotension), overbreathing (hyperventilation), a weak rapid pulse, cold clammy grayish-bluish (cyanotic) skin, decreased urine flow (oliguria), and mental changes (a sense of great anxiety and foreboding, confusion and, sometimes, combativeness).

I'm going to bet again here and say that a lot of you either said "wat" or pulled, yet again, the "tl;dr" trick. Shock happens when there is a sudden drop of blood flow in the body. This happens when you get shot. It can also be caused by mental changes, such as anxiety and foreboding. This can happen when you're about to step onto a battlefield. The knowledge that you could die at any moment would give most anyone chills; people of a weaker mind could possible go into shock. There are a few ways to recognize shock: Fainting or faintness, pale or bluish skin that's cold to the touch, moist and clammy skin, dialated pupils, weakness, shallow or labored breathing, unusually fast pulse, and vomiting, nausea, or thirst. If the field medic fails to respond, the patient could pass out. His body temperature will fall, and he may die. There are four basic positions you can put your victim in, given the nature of his wounds.

scoutfreak

The head is down, the feet are elevated, and the injury is elevated. If your patient broke his leg, don't elevate his feet. Don't elevate any fracture that isn't in a cast or splint, either; both of those are bad for your patient and can cause him to die faster. If you didn't pay attention to the picture, then put the affected on his back, flat on the ground. You should also do this if there's a broken bone or if doing the above is painful to the patient.

If your patient got hit in the head with something or has labored or shallow breathing, then elevate the head and shoulders. Don't elevate the feet and head at the same time. You want the feet to be above the head in the first one, but in this, you want the head to be above the feet.

If there's blood in the patient's mouth, he's vomiting, or has nausea (read: going to vomit), then do the above picture. Put him on his side the the blood or whatever sort of fluid is in his mouth can drain out the side. If there's a fracture, lay him flat on his back with his head to the side. If there's a head wound, do the proper position but put the head to the side.

You want the victim of shock to get fluids, but don't give them any fluid if they aren't conscious. They could drown on said fluid. If the patient is awake and alert, then you may give them the following solution: Salt and and baking soda. Mix one teaspoon of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a quart or liter of water that is neither hot or cold. If you can't find a liter or a quart to put it in, get a regular cup with two teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda. If you don't have any of that stuff, then just give the victim half a cup of water. However, don't give the victim anything if they're vomiting, have nausea, or are severely injured (read: shot). All of those could further jeapordize the patient's already frail condition and you could inadvertantly cause them to die faster if you refuse or are ignorant of the proper methods of treating shock. Shock is just as deadly a killer as a mortar round, a bullet, cancer or AIDS; you'd do well to treat the patient with the same level of care that you'd treat a patient who's just taken a bullet to the chest.

Stopping bleeding is the second part that I'm going to cover. Contrary to popular belief, bleeds are rarely stopped if you simply put a bandage over them. Ever heard of changing a dressing? That's because the blood is continuing to flow, dirtying and wetting the bandage that you put over. It's nasty business, and disgusting to look at. However, this doesn't mean that anyone who thinks bandages are a cure-all are completely wrong; that's not true. There are steps you have to follow to apply a bandage, though, and if your regular gauze pad isn't cutting a bullet wound to the thigh, then you're going to have to take additional steps to safe the life of your patient.

Take a gauze pad and grab it at both ends. Do not touch one side of the dressing; this will act as your "sterile" side. Don't let that side touch anything other than the wound to lessen the chances of infection, which is also a nasty business. Take the dressing and stretch it. Place it directly over the wound.

Hold it in place with one hand and use the other hand to wrap one end around the wound. If the patient is able, then he can help you by holding it. However, if he's too injured, don't demand that he do it; you're perfectly capable of doing this with one hand. You don't require assistance. Use the following picture to give you an idea what you're supposed to do.

Tie the two ends into a knot on one side of the wound. Do not under any circumstances tie the knot directly over the wound; this can further your patient on his road to death. You're trying to prevent his death, not cause it. Tie it on the sides firmly but not so tight as to restrict blood flow. This is what it should look like after you're done with tying with the wound.

If the wound continues to bleed, then place your hand over it and apply pressure for five to ten minutes. Don't push the leg into the dirt, but don't just touch it, either. Apply firm, solid pressure that won't break the guy's leg. If this isn't effective, elevate the limb above the level of the heart and continue applying firm, solid pressure onto the wound to stop the bleeding. If this still doesn't work, apply a pressure bandage. Place a wad of padding directly over the wound. This can be gauze or clothing. Keep it elevated.

Tie a bandage over this padding. If you don't have a bandage, you could use a strip of clothing. It isn't necessary that what you use is completely sterile, as it isn't coming into direct contact with the wound itself.

Tie the ends together like you did with the first bandage, but this time tie it directly over the wound. Don't tie it so tightly as to constrict blood flow. After you're done with the pressure bandage, check to see if there's still circulation. If the skin is blue, cold, or anything that would suggest that blood isn't getting to it, loosen the bandages. If everything fails to stop the bleeding, then apply a tourniquet as an absolute last resort. Don't apply a tourniquet first, as this may be overkill and actually lessen the chances your patient has of survival. You should apply a tourniquet if all other measures fail, or if your victim has suffered a "traumatic amputation". (read: severed arm/leg) Once you apply a tourniquet, do not loosen it or mess with it. This could cause further bleeding. To make the tourniquet, get a stick-like object (a stick) and a strong, flexible material (gauze). Place the tourniquet around the limb, between the wound itself and the heart. Don't place it over the wound or a joint. You should place a tourniquet on the upper arm or above the knee on the thigh.

Pad the tourniquet well, so it doesn't pinch the skin. To apply the tourniquet, tie a half-knot (the first part of tying your shoe) and place a stick on top of it. Then tie a full knot over the stick. Twist the stick until it's tight or until bright red bleeding has stopped.

Those pictures go in sequences for the tourniquet application process for both full leg and severed leg wounds. To fasten the tourniquet, loop the free ends around the stick and loop them around. Then tie the stick to the side of the limb.

Make sure the tourniquet is clearly visible. You want the doctor to know that your patient has a tourniquet on. Mark the victim's head with a capital "T" to show that he has a tourniquet. If necessary, you can use blood to make this mark. If possible, save the limb that has been severed (if there is one) and carry it out of sight of the patient. Seeing their own severed limbs can often cause the victim to go into shock, which is something you want to avoid, even if you do know how to treat it.

Medics have a very simple task, even if the ways they have to preform it are difficult and complicated. They are to stabilize the casualty, treat any life-threatening wounds, and take them to a doctor who can provide proper and complete medical care for the patient. As a medic, you'll be charged with saving lives. This is often difficult. If you want to be a medic, but, again, pulled the "tl;dr" trick throughout this entire guide for medical Roleplay as written by me, then you might want to change your mind about your career choice. Medics are dedicated individuals who are focused on their task. They listen well and preform well under pressure. If you are lazy and didn't listen to my apparent lecture, then you aren't preforming well under relaxed conditions. When you're on the battlefield in the Roleplay and one of your IC friends is dying, you'll wish that you had listened to me here and above.

If you don't understand anything above, don't worry; medical RP is very difficult to grasp and many people have failed to do any more than give somebody a magical health vial or a medical kit. It's very rewarding Roleplay, though, and once you get past the initial "oh god this is so long how am i supposed to even" part of it, then you'll have a blast. It's a lot better, even if it takes more time, than giving somebody a green health vial. You'll learn to scoff at those people, because you, once you've gotten it, are a true medical Roleplayer.

Credits to Berkut and www.armystudyguide.com for providing most of the pictures and techniques to apply a tourniquet and field dressing on a patient. Credits to Google for helping me find the latter, and credit to AftermathRP.net for being such a great community that, coincidentally, has Berkut in it. Also thanks to my printer for printing Berkut's guide out, as I couldn't find the OP. Thanks to myself for working my fingers to the bone to type all this. I only used one copy+paste for the definition of shock. Thanks to the guys who (hopefully) will read this. You're great.

Locke

That man's knee is gone ;___;

Zarrick

Isnt the point of making a guide, to not copy and paste somone elses work, and make your own >_>?
====================================

====================================

Goose

That is really disturbing. really..... ow it hurts to look at it..... dude where the hell did you find that .......
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Dug

Locke

Quote from: Zarrick on 12-11-2009
Isnt the point of making a guide, to not copy and paste somone elses work, and make your own

Quote from: scoutfreak
The purpose of this guide is to impart information, not to be funny. I've written rather silly guides in the past that have served their purpose fairly well and taught quite a few people how to Roleplay, despite the fact that the content is absolutely hilarious. As stated, this guide is not that sort of guide. I intend to provide a serious and clear guide on how to properly do medical Roleplay, or, for the purposes of this guide (more like for the purposes of my fingers) MRP. Some of this guide is part of Berkut's guide on the subject of getting shot. It isn't copy+pasted because I couldn't find the original forum post, but it is typed straight up from the paper because I printed the thing. So, without further delay, I present to you "A Guide to Medical Roleplay" by Scoutfreak

Basically, summarizing Berkut's quide, heavier rounds cause more stopping power and lighter rounds cause less. Getting hit with a rifle will knock you down. Plain and simple. Whether or not it kills you is up to the shooter, the target, the round, the area affected, the doctor/medic, and the admins. In short, there's a lot of things that can happen when you get shot in a serious Garry's Mod RP. So save myself from writing a massive novel on this subject, I'll zoom in on parts of that list. The round, the area affected, and the doctor/medic are the parts that this guide is meant for. If you find the other parts interested, talk to them. The shooter, the target, and the admins are all people that you can discuss these things with. Now, on with the guide; FMJ rounds, or full-metal-jacket rounds, are going to whistle right through you. I'm not particularly sure what the 7.92x57mm round of the Kar98K is, so if anyone would like to enlighten me (and, in turn, the rest of the people who read this guide) please do so. Anyways, FMJ rounds that whistle through you push things out of the way. Back to the first sentence of this paragraph, heavier rounds push more stuff out of the way and smaller rounds push less stuff out of the way. Either way, usually an FMJ will leave your body, making a rather larger hole than the one it came in, due to the fact that it just pushed a lot of your internal parts out of it's way to get out of you.

What happens after that, you ask? Well, if you've ever gotten a scar, then you know what happens. Scar tissue happens. This wound will never heal correctly due to the fact that there's a bunch of scar tissue in it. It'll leave a nice scar on the outside to show people that you got shot, too, if you live through the encounter. Related to this, when the bullet goes in, it's normally going at super-sonic speeds, which is why gunshots make a lot of noise. When you've in a jet going super-sonic speeds, sound waves are literally being pushed out of the way of your plane. Same thing with a bullet. When it goes inside of you, it's pushing your body tissue out of the way when it gets in there as well and smashing into them with the bullet itself, thus causing massive "compression damage", as Berkut put it. The tissue of your body that's hit with the bullet is going to be utterly messed up. Basically, with JHP rounds (which I think most WW2-era weapons are) you're not going to have to work with the bullet to get it out. It's going to leave the body on it's own, and it's going to leave a trail. The nature of this bullet means it's gonna rip through any body armor you have, too, so anything short of a flak vest (which regular soldiers usually didn't have due to the fact that it's really heavy and not issued to them) is going to be nullified.

To simplify this section, I'm going to quote directly from Berkut's guide.

"Joints and supporting bones. If they get hit, you will either go down or be unable to use that joint/any part of your body which relies on that bone for support. If you get hit in a rib, whatever; it may puncture a lung but it's really nothing life-threatening in itself. Getting your collarbone snapped means your entire shoulder cradle is useless, as the muscles which support your entire shoulder and arm attach to your collarbone. A hit to a long bone in the leg or to your hip will put you down. A hit to your foot, contrary to popular belief, will not knock you over and nor will it stop you from walking. It'll just make it very painful."

Basically, use common sense. If you get shot in the leg, don't keep sprinting; if you get shot in the ribs, don't keep screaming. The wind's gonna be knocked out of you. Continuing, related to pain:

"Joints - especially complex ones like the knee- hurt like buggery as well. Also, if you get hit in a joint, you can forget using it again unless you get it reconstructed."

Pausing there.. Reconstructing joints is going to be very difficult in these times, and impossible on the battlefield. If you get shot in your knee with a .30-06, you won't be using that knee. Period. This is effectively a permanent injury. Resume:

"I don't want to see people get shot in the knee and then find them walking, running, jumping, crawling, or anything like that just after being hit. You should be in a wheelchair, or on crutches. Similarly, if you get hit in the elbow, guess what? Limp arm. Have fun. The shoulder is somewhat harder to destroy (as is the hip), but at the very least you should wait a week or two before using them again. I don't care what you can do in video games, there is no such thing as a magic health vial which can cause destroyed tissues to heal any faster, or at all. If you get hit in a bone, give it a few weeks (2-3) to mend. If you're hit in the stomach or lower back, you're in deep, deep trouble. Aside from massive internal bleeding and damage to vital organs, you're looking at possible (read: likely) septic leakage from your stomach, intestines, and colon. This is very bad. There are a lot of different bacteria in your digestive tract which you don't really want in your bloodstream. Blood poisoning will ensue unless you can stop any leakage in a hurry, and if the leakage is really bad, you'll likely die of said poisoning. Getting shot in a major artery or vein will cause you to bleed out in 8-15 minutes, and the fact that major blood vessels are elastic and often snap back when cut really doesn't do much to help the medics. Getting shot in your voicebox will destroy your ability to talk and will even limit your ability to grunt, end of story. Shots to the jaw will screw up your ability to speak, eat, etc. for a long time. Shots which manage to miss the vital parts of your brain will leave you with memory/sensory loss and can also mess up your ability to plan ahead and really change your personality, depending on which lobe they hit. Copping a round in the face but below the brain will make a mess out of your face, which is irreparable. A round to the base of your skull and straight through your center will wipe out your body center and kill you; a hit to the spinal cord at about shoulder level will make you paralized and probably won't heal ever. A punctured lung is bad, but survivable, as long as you still have one, but if it bloods, you get to drown in your own bodily fluids. A hit to the heart will kill you. If your aorta is punctured, you will die in a few minutes."

I bet a lot of you did the old "tl;dr" trick throughout that, but a lot of it is very important for the medics and to the patient. You can't save someone from a headshot if it was aimed at all (read: it hits your head) and you can't preform open-heart surgery on the battlefield and expect him to live longer than a few minutes. Stay in-character. We're all guilty of doing things that sound plausible but aren't. Read up on the type of wound you're treating and print out some stuff or keep it in your favorites so you can view it easily; while game time might slow down for OOC reasons and other such things such as people going AFK, in real life (and in Roleplay) you don't have an infinite amount of time to try to save someone's life. If you don't act quickly, they'll die. If you don't act at all, they'll die, and if you mess up, they'll likely die. Medics have little room for error. Now on to my part, without using Berkut's guide (I'll tell you if I do).

This section is mainly for field medics. None of us is expected to do in-depth doctoring on a patient. None of us (I think) have gone to medical school, and there is no guide out there that can effectively summarize medical school for us. Even if there were, I doubt many of you would choose to read it; it'd likely be a severely long read and there wouldn't be a lot of interesting information throughout. Lucky for us, field medics aren't supposed to be doctors. They're supposed to stabilize the patient and keep them alive until you can get them to a field hospital, which is basically field doctoring. Some of us may be expected to do this. Keep the patient alive, treat their wounds to the best of your ability, and get them back home so they can see a real doctor and be put into the intensive care unit and their nearest hospital. In our case, this would be Germany. Anyone going to Germany is likely to be out of it for up to six months, unless you escape/there's a miracle/it didn't turn out to be so bad after all/etc. This will translate to a "temporary death", or a situation in which your character isn't going to be there for a while and the rest of your pals assume he (or she) is dead. I'll cover two very simple things in this section, which are the most common on a battlefield: Shock and bleeding.

Shock: In medicine, shock is a critical condition brought on by a sudden drop in blood flow through the body. There is failure of the circulatory system to maintain adequate blood flow. This sharply curtails the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to vital organs. It also compromises the kidney and so curtails the removal of wastes from the body. Shock can be due to a number of different mechanisms including not enough blood volume (hypovolemic shock) and not enough output of blood by the heart (cardiogenic shock). The signs and symptoms of shock include low blood pressure (hypotension), overbreathing (hyperventilation), a weak rapid pulse, cold clammy grayish-bluish (cyanotic) skin, decreased urine flow (oliguria), and mental changes (a sense of great anxiety and foreboding, confusion and, sometimes, combativeness).

I'm going to bet again here and say that a lot of you either said "wat" or pulled, yet again, the "tl;dr" trick. Shock happens when there is a sudden drop of blood flow in the body. This happens when you get shot. It can also be caused by mental changes, such as anxiety and foreboding. This can happen when you're about to step onto a battlefield. The knowledge that you could die at any moment would give most anyone chills; people of a weaker mind could possible go into shock. There are a few ways to recognize shock: Fainting or faintness, pale or bluish skin that's cold to the touch, moist and clammy skin, dialated pupils, weakness, shallow or labored breathing, unusually fast pulse, and vomiting, nausea, or thirst. If the field medic fails to respond, the patient could pass out. His body temperature will fall, and he may die. There are four basic positions you can put your victim in, given the nature of his wounds.

I think that counts as enough of his own writing.

scoutfreak

I did type up some parts from another guides to put in things i might of missed.