Just Your Average Mercenary

Started by Corocan, 16-03-2012

Corocan

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

**Click**
"Name: Araya Whinte... Age: 38... Sex: Male... Mission: Elimination of one Borov Blocovich."
**Click**

"My name is Araya Whinte. Under request of certain personnel, I have been asked to keep a log of myself, in the event of my termination or other events of which would leave my knowledge discarded. I've been asked specifically to explain my life before I arrived at the Zone, how I arrived, and to this point now.

Originally, I was a hired contractor. My business was dealt with the lives of other men. I'd done roughly seven 'Jobs' and every time I did, I'd have to disappear for a while and live off the grid. It was good living. I'd recently taken shelter inside of an abandoned psychiatric ward in the forest that had been scorched by a bomb and left it in shambles.

Living off the grid meant you were completely isolated from the outside world. So things like food markets were far away, so hunting for your own food wasn't an option, it was a requirement. I had cut down some trees with a hatchet and formed some arrow shafts and a bow with a knife. I found some stones and in time I managed to make some decent arrow heads. Using some of my own shoe lace I stringed the bow and tied some bird feathers and the arrow heads onto the shafts.

Once I'd finished making the bows, which took me about several hours, I began hunting for food. There was plenty of deer in the area this time of year. I remember my first day, I found one and shot an arrow at it. It barely missed its heart. I didn't feel much remorse for it as I used a small Luger pistol to end it quickly.

Every day began just about the same. Wake up, eat, close-quarters training, firearms training, and hunting if required, then sleep. The only thing that was different was the many series of books from a small library inside of the ward. I learned much about human anatomy during my time there. Things that would soon help me in the future. I also learned a lot about social interaction from both the books and the other people there. It helped me strike good deals with the other locals of the area that sold many things.

I always keep a device of communication in case I am needed. I remember this being one of my prized possessions. They were implemented with expensive devices that amplified the range of the signal so I could actually receive calls. After two years of isolation, I'd grown desperate for some interaction, but my name spread out in many places, so it was only a matter of time...

Then it rang...

deluxulous

// I used to be obsessed with that song. love it. The reading was pretty interesting too.

Poler

// Loved the music, alongside with the story/log.
You deserve this.

Corocan

The Chemical Brothers - Hanna's theme (vocal version)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

**Click**
"I still see her every night in my dreams... or are they nightmares?"
**Click**

"I picked it up. It was a manager, Issac, I believe his name was. Anyways, he wanted to apply my abilities to a specific man. Who it was and why wasn't of my concern and quite frankly it was better not to ask. I was to pick up a train to Kiev, the Ukrainian capital in the morning. He said from there a contact would meet me and tell me where to go next.

That night I could hardly get any sleep. And what sleep I did have was constantly haunted by her. I kept seeing her every time I closed my eyes. No amount of drugs the military gave me can ever get her out my head. I swear that woman vexes me. Even though she's dead, it's like she's still alive, somehow. As I looked out into the night sky that night, I swear I'd never seen that many stars.

I woke up early in the morning, a few hours before the train left and got my shovel. I walked several paces out of the entrance of the building and began to dig. I found the trunk I had buried years ago and opened it. There was a casual suit, still clean, and twenty thousand rubles cash, more than enough to buy a place to stay, food, and a first class ticket to Kiev.

When I arrived at Kiev, I was greeted by a large concentrated amount of OMON forces. Searching everyone that entered thoroughly. I walked right on by, got manhandled and they sent me on my merry way. You're probably wondering why they didn't question me about the large amount of cash I had on me, well, let's just say I left that checkpoint with a lighter wallet.

After I got past my welcoming party, a shaky man with a lazy eye bumped into me. I felt something slip my pocket and at first I thought it was a pickpocket, but then I found a note instead. I slipped it up and read an address and an apartment number. Under it, it told me to use a false alias. No idea who it was from, though...

I made my way to the apartment complex and it appeared my room had already been paid for. And this was one of those classy five star hotel kind of rooms, pretty nice. Far up on the roof with a balcony view of the plaza. Who ever I was working for, obviously wanted me in the laps of luxury during my stay. I found a bed and decided to take a nap for the night and as I looked down I saw a note slip under my door..."

Midgetonic

Dis is good my friend

Poler

Quote from: Poler on 16-03-2012
// Loved the music, alongside with the story/log.
You deserve this.

Must I say anymore?

Yorty

Just curious Corocan, have you ever read Snork Bait?
Anyways, I like how you presented your story from a real-world perspective instead of through a narrow looking glass where the zone is everything.

Corocan

Quote from: Yorty on 17-03-2012
Just curious Corocan, have you ever read Snork Bait?

No? Why? I'll check it out, though.

EDIT: Just checked it out. Is it because Kiev is a location of interest in the log?