How not to Play To Win.

Started by Pawx, 14-10-2009

Radek

Yea i cant make any sence out of that post either
Tom About Mili interigation
|HGN-STSR| Tom: "Ill keep an eye out for OMEGA! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!"      "Damn right you will!" *Pours vodka on you and lights you on fire*    "IN HELL!"

Farenheit

In CoP a couple of loners decided to rob some others...

Goose

Yea and how did that turn out for them hmm? no seriously i havent played it :P
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Farenheit

Well, its a mission. You can go with them or stop them. Personally, I like to go with them and right when they start to open fire I just double cross them and kill them :D

Goose

I want it :D sounds like so much fun
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Farenheit

But the point is, loners DO rob other loners and they DO kill other loners. One of the first missions you get in CoP a loner who's completely neutral tries to kill you. There's also a group of loners who ambush you or play you stealing and selling your artifact.

Pawx

Ok, Picture this, Your walking along, A Loner, walking, all of a sudden, A Few other Loners come out, Robbing you. See where Im going here? Can you Picture that? If you can, Gtfo.. Also, if a Loner killed another Loner, he truely isnt a Loner and will be hunted down. ALSO! About that mission you said, probably getting a mission to kill a Stalker means they did something bad to get fucked up by you :/

This Thread is actually about Playing to Win, Loners Robbing other Loners is a side topic to this Thread.

Farenheit

You didn't get the mission to kill him, but to ask him for info. He just wasn't being friendly. Also, a group of stalkers in CoP ambush you in an attempt to take you out and get your artifact, as I said. I killed them all and no one seemed to cared.

Romolski

This topic has completely derailed from a guide (which didn't start very well explained in the beginning, seeing how a vicious, bloodhthirsty animal doesn't really regard rudimentary weaponry as a initial threat) to a heated debate on what Loners can and cannot do.

So let's break it down and end this.

Topic A - Playing to Win

In all walks of life, there are things you can and cannot control. The things you can control revolve around your own actions, and the things you cannot encompass the actions of others and elements of nature. And the actions of others (as well as the intents) may not always go cooperatively with yours.

But even so, people never like to lose. They never want to be unsuccessful, or cheated, injured, beaten. And rightly they believe so.

It's just there are some things, no matter what, you cannot "win" at. There is no room for success, only for failure.

Coming short of religious beliefs, dancing for rain generally does not bring rain. Why? Because humans cannot control this phenomenon, it is outside the scope of our powers. Even humans committing to acts against other humans can sometimes fall into the spectrum of unstoppable acts: If a man breaks into your house in the dead of the night, finds you in your sleep, and shoots his gun, point blank, at your skull, how do you expect to prevent such an act?

Are you going to wake up and start screaming "You fucking powergamer! That's not how it's suppose to go!"

Didn't think so. If this was true, then how come so many people in our world die from serial killers? How come children in impoverished countries starve to death daily, or unarmed students on protest get gunned down by an oppressive government?

People don't always get their ways. More often they get fucked over in life, stuck at the bottem of the food chain, without the pleasures or benefits at being on the top. Hell, even in a government DESIGNED to make everyone equal there were people on the top, more "successful" then the average citizen. And their is always one thing that makes someone, even on the very, very fucking top of the success pyramid go crazy with anger, knowing it's something they'll never beat, never triumph over.

And that, my friends, is death.

So how does this all relate to our roleplay? Well, I'll just have to tell you.

Roleplay, in its very nature, is a function that simulates reality but on a seperate set of terms. Things in this reality may be changed, but the fundemental laws of physics and nature still apply, to help relate the players. If this was not so, then why can our characters still die? Or why can't they sprout a pair of wings and fly to the center of the Zone?

To make our roleplay more... realistic, we have to include the dynamic, and mindset, of "Winning" and "Losing". And to accomplish this, we have to comprimise with eachother, knowing fully well that although our characters may not benefit (sometimes by extreme margins) from the deals we make with other players, at the very least genuine, intricate roleplay will be generated, making our figurines of imagination seem less like a wooden doll in a toy shop and more like real people, more human.

Summing this all up:
-Everyone plays to win, whether they admit it or not.
-Even so, you can't win them all.
-To counteract your losses, you comprimise the outcomes of the situations.
-In doing this, you win a suitable ending to the situation for both players.
-During this process, enjoyable roleplay will be generated, which is the whole fucking point of why we are all here. And in making this epic roleplay, you win anyways, so stop fucking complaining if some bandit stole all of your shit in the game.

Topic B - The Reality of Loners

This one will be quick.

Loners are people like you and me, but not affiliated with any particular group or faction. With this stated, they can do whatever the fuck they please to, because they are not pre-progammed NPC's crammed in a videogame. In fact, I'd go as far as saying anyone in the fucking server can do what they please to, even if what they do comes with a shitload of consequences.

If the goal of roleplay is realism, then why would you place restrictions on what a person can or can't do. It's up to the player to decide what happens, and setting rules like that means that YOU are the one playing to win, except the twisted side of it is that you fail to make comprimises.

So let this one go. It is something you cannot control because in reality, you never truly can control what another person does, thinks, or believes.

Better stated, the concept of life is "Freedom".

-Fin-

Pawx

Quote from: Romolski on 17-10-2009
This topic has completely derailed from a guide (which didn't start very well explained in the beginning, seeing how a vicious, bloodhthirsty animal doesn't really regard rudimentary weaponry as a initial threat) to a heated debate on what Loners can and cannot do.

Topic A - Playing to Win

In all walks of life, there are things you can and cannot control. The things you can control revolve around your own actions, and the things you cannot encompass the actions of others and elements of nature. And the actions of others (as well as the intents) may not always go cooperatively with yours.

But even so, people never like to lose. They never want to be unsuccessful, or cheated, injured, beaten. And rightly they belive so.

[Still editing, wait for final conclusion]

To many big words used, Gtfo

Also its beacuse people seem to think that the Loner RP is more important then the Real Issue. Ill be working on the Loner Issue, You all work on the Play to Win by yourself.

Now stop bumping my Topic, its over :/

Romolski

You better check that comment again before posting to unfinished business.

And unlike the threads that flood the GVC, you better cut your shit and stop flaming people in this one. As soon as you publicise something on a forum it should abide by the forum rules unless otherwise stated, and goes with your abrasive responses to things you can't comprehend.

Plunger

Quote from: Poxkillerd on 17-10-2009

Topic A - Playing to Win

But even so, people never like to lose. They never want to be unsuccessful, or cheated, injured, beaten. And rightly they belive so.

[Still editing, wait for final conclusion]

To many big words used, Gtfo

Also its beacuse people seem to think that the Loner RP is more important then the Real Issue. Ill be working on the Loner Issue, You all work on the Play to Win by yourself.

Now stop bumping my Topic, its over :/
Who in gods name let you back into this thread.

Radek

Hmm... Romolski.. how much time did you spend on that mega post?
Tom About Mili interigation
|HGN-STSR| Tom: "Ill keep an eye out for OMEGA! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!"      "Damn right you will!" *Pours vodka on you and lights you on fire*    "IN HELL!"

Goose

Topic A - Playing to Win

But even so, people never like to lose. They never want to be unsuccessful, or cheated, injured, beaten. And rightly they believe so.

It's just there are some things, no matter what, you cannot "win" at. There is no room for success, only for failure.

Coming short of religious beliefs, dancing for rain generally does not bring rain. Why? Because humans cannot control this phenomenon, it is outside the scope of our powers. Even humans committing to acts against other humans can sometimes fall into the spectrum of unstoppable acts: If a man breaks into your house in the dead of the night, finds you in your sleep, and shoots his gun, point blank, at your skull, how do you expect to prevent such an act?

Are you going to wake up and start screaming "You fucking powergamer! That's not how it's suppose to go!"

Didn't think so. If this was true, then how come so many people in our world die from serial killers? How come children in impoverished countries starve to death daily, or unarmed students on protest get gunned down by an oppressive government?

People don't always get their ways. More often they get fucked over in life, stuck at the bottem of the food chain, without the pleasures or benefits at being on the top. Hell, even in a government DESIGNED to make everyone equal there were people on the top, more "successful" then the average citizen. And their is always one thing that makes someone, even on the very, very fucking top of the success pyramid go crazy with anger, knowing it's something they'll never beat, never triumph over.

And that, my friends, is death.

So how does this all relate to our roleplay? Well, I'll just have to tell you.

Roleplay, in its very nature, is a function that simulates reality but on a seperate set of terms. Things in this reality may be changed, but the fundemental laws of physics and nature still apply, to help relate the players. If this was not so, then why can our characters still die? Or why can't they sprout a pair of wings and fly to the center of the Zone?

To make our roleplay more... realistic, we have to include the dynamic, and mindset, of "Winning" and "Losing". And to accomplish this, we have to comprimise with eachother, knowing fully well that although our characters may not benefit (sometimes by extreme margins) from the deals we make with other players, at the very least genuine, intricate roleplay will be generated, making our figurines of imagination seem less like a wooden doll in a toy shop and more like real people, more human.

Summing this all up:
-Everyone plays to win, whether they admit it or not.
-Even so, you can't win them all.
-To counteract your losses, you comprimise the outcomes of the situations.
-In doing this, you win a suitable ending to the situation for both players.
-During this process, enjoyable roleplay will be generated, which is the whole fucking point of why we are all here. And in making this epic roleplay, you win anyways, so stop fucking complaining if some bandit stole all of your shit in the game.

Topic B - The Reality of Loners

This one will be quick.

Loners are people like you and me, but not affiliated with any particular group or faction. With this stated, they can do whatever the fuck they please to, because they are not pre-progammed NPC's crammed in a videogame. In fact, I'd go as far as saying anyone in the fucking server can do what they please to, even if what they do comes with a shitload of consequences.

If the goal of roleplay is realism, then why would you place restrictions on what a person can or can't do. It's up to the player to decide what happens, and setting rules like that means that YOU are the one playing to win, except the twisted side of it is that you fail to make comprimises.

So let this one go. It is something you cannot control because in reality, you never truly can control what another person does, thinks, or believes.

Better stated, the concept of life is "Freedom".

-Fin-

Where did this guy come from god this is the secound time hes donesomething like that lol another win :D

Pawx

You better check that comment again before posting to unfinished business.

And unlike the threads that flood the GVC, you better cut your shit and stop flaming people in this one. As soon as you publicise something on a forum it should abide by the forum rules unless otherwise stated, and goes with your abrasive responses to things you can't comprehend.

You sir, may Gtfo. Locking for the topic being answered.