A quick idea.

Started by Lion, 14-04-2010

Lion

Before you go ' omg rong sekshun ' this isn't a Script idea, this is a general idea.

Okay, so I've just spent a while looking over the STALKER RP forums and whatnot, and I've noticed that people are all whinging about loads of stuff, ranging from A to фь.

I've also noticed lots of people complaining about people in factions and stuff like that.
I've got an idea, that most of you probably wont like, but if you take a moment to think about it you'll realise that in the long run it'd fix many problems.

Make every roleplayed kill a permanent death for that character. This doesn't mean some bandit runs up and shotfaces you for not handing over your fork of forkiness, this means if some people do some good quality roleplay, from long range or short range, and a character dies as a result of this quality roleplay, it is a PERMANENT DEATH.

I understand that many of you have spent time working on these characters, and value whatever you do about them, however... When people die in real life, there's no ' new life rule ' and whatnot, regardless of their rank, status and value to the main storyline of whatever the fuck their involved in.

I also realize many will think this is just a stupid idea from some newbie, or it's a quick fix that wont have any real benefits. However, think about it. How would the storyline change were the C.O of the Military die? How would it change were the trader who ran the best business in all of GMod died? Permanent deaths change the story around. Make it interesting.

While the after-shock of these actions would be large, this rule would help combat people getting too far up their own arse holes to think about the rest of the world, help combat the amount of bad roleplayers in positions which enable them to do bad things. This would increase the loner populace, as well.

While I understand this rule COULD be abused, it should be up to an admins discretion to determine whether or not the kill was Deathmatching, or Good ole' fashioned quality roleplay. This would be the ONLY things the admins decide. If it's not Deathmatching, It's a perma-kill. If you get injured but bleed out before you can get healed, that's just too darn bad isn't it? Should have been prepared.

In another thread, I noticed one person complaining about stupid Mercs disobeying orders. With this rule in effect, when he had them executed for disobeying orders, they'd be perma killed. Their character deleted. No more stupid Mercs. This rule also applies to people who do RAMBO things in firefights, or just in general.

It also recently came to my attention that certain players might be killing people ' legitimately ' because of their faction interests and whatnot, but chasing people across the map to kill them is a definite deathmatch. As I said before, it should be up to a non-biased admins decision on what is deathmatch and what is not deathmatch.

The outline of what I suggest is this:
1. People who die stay dead.
2. People who die CAN NOT make a character created after a permadeath in the same faction as the one who died.
3. People who die do not get resurrected, brought back to life, zombified, turned into jesus christ or any other bullshit some people might think up.

People who die stay dead. You may not like it, but that's how it works in real life and that's how it should work here.

Paintcheck

PKs are actually pretty common, most people are just too lazy to fill out the app. Most "epic" kills do result in PKs.

Lion

Quote from: Paintcheck on 14-04-2010
PKs are actually pretty common, most people are just too lazy to fill out the app. Most "epic" kills do result in PKs.

I'm not talking about ' epic ' kills, or anything like that. I mean a full server, blanket rule. Even if the shittiest loner dies, it's still a PK for that character.

The idea is, you don't have to do EPIC roleplay to get a PK, just some decent roleplay that can be recognized as just that.

It's fine if the person getting PKed agrees to it, and if they don't then this rule would come into effect. An admin would decide if it was based off Deathmatching or Roleplaying. Were it the latter, PK.

As I said, I only wrote this up because it's an idea I've posed before when I find the majority of a roleplay server whinging about so and so, and believe it or not it helps.

Khorn

That's a bad idea, people would need to create new characters each day. There would be so many problems.
I'm sure if we tried we can find many problems with this idea.

One thing is factions would die out each time a raid occurred. And then one faction would become the top group.
People would become afraid to roleplay with each other. So battles would die too.
Traders would die off slowly too, since it takes time to get a trader character.

This would basically kill the zone off and replace it with a large group of loners.

We also would run out of names.

What do you mean that people are whining? I rarely hear any complaints about people rp killing each other. Most complain when someone dies and looses their gun.

Lion

Quote from: Khorn on 14-04-2010
That's a bad idea, people would need to create new characters each day. There would be so many problems.
I'm sure if we tried we can find many problems with this idea.

One thing is factions would die out each time a raid occurred.
And then one faction would become the top group.

We also would run out of names.

What do you mean that people are whining? I rarely hear any complaints about people rp killing each other. Most complain when someone dies and looses their gun.

Okay, so. Whoopdy do if they need to create new characters, if they're dieing so frequently maybe they should learn to protect themselves better, or run away, or a multitude of other things that people, in real life, learn to do to not die in situations like a firefight.

The idea is for faction members on both sides to die, as a result of ROLEPLAY, not S2K, but S2RP. You're complaining like factions never die, all of a sudden. More people will join the faction, and as for the faction becoming the top group, organize some mercs to kill some of them off if they're becoming too powerful. If the mercs get killed, band together with another faction.

There are literally over a hundred ways you can fix all of the problems you've listed without ever removing the rule, should it be put into effect.

And there's a reason I posted this here instead of just sending the idea along to the admins so they could accept or deny it. It's here so the community can comment on it, and amendments can be made to it.

On your comment that ' Battles would die too': Admins could authorise certain battles that have been planned in advance to be ' Non-PK ' battles, where only one or two authorised/allowed PKs would happen. The rest of the deaths in the Non-PK battle would simply be injury RP, or ignored if it was just deathmatching.

About the traders: Trader player value would increase, and their respective factions would increase protection on them. Freelance traders would be snapped up by people who needed more supplies and whatnot, and they'd become much like Flags in a game of CTF. Capture the flag, or set the flag on fire.

Trader numbers would increase, because of the increased value of being a trader. They'd get money and protection.

Risk versus Reward.

With my idea for a rule put into effect, the Reward would be greater than the risk.

Khorn

Actually I rarely get into any sort of fight. But I can see this ruining the RP for the server.

One thing is, this is Role play. Not Real life in the zone.

Lion

Let me ask you this: When you jump on the server, do you select your player and think of them as a Person, or just another Character?

Khorn

I play them as a person. So I would probably be annoyed if I was killed by a blood sucker who wanted to roll dice for roleplay and managed to kill me.

Lion

Khorn, the thing won't be ' lol i roll dice to 57 an u die ', it will have to be actually fully roleplayed as a permanent kill roleplay would.

It wouldn't be 15 lines of /me noms on your face and you're PKed, that'd be fucking ridiculous.

When I say Good Roleplay, I mean something that would earn a PK for the intended party. If the person(s) doing the PKing were just doing ' /me beats you down and shoots you ' or something similar to that, no dice.

Afromana

Sounds like Desertia >.>
I would possibly even play SRP again if this rule was implented, Ive noticed over the years how this sort of rule boosts the roleplay.
Question is if the players of SRP wants to roleplay at such level.

RG4ORDR

I had that Idea of rolling when Hollywood what Power gaming roll below 30 = death
er

Lion

Quote from: Afromana on 14-04-2010
Sounds like Desertia >.>
I would possibly even play SRP again if this rule was implented, Ive noticed over the years how this sort of rule boosts the roleplay.
Question is if the players of SRP wants to roleplay at such level.

I suggested this because I want to roleplay at such a level. It would certainly test a persons imagination, and general roleplaying abilities. Of course, admins may have to work hard AT THE BEGINNING, to get this rule in working order, but once it became an accepted fact I'm sure it would work out fine.

Steel

No just no, i dont agree with it at all, it isnt "Realism"
Its roleplay.
People will rage and leave, and population will plummet.

You say it will decrease whinning?
Not at all, it will make it worse.
Put yourself in an admins position:
Can you imagine the ammount of /ar's wed get in a day?
We wouldnt actually be able to RP, because wed be sorting these issues out all the time.

SRP is very combat based, it could work on things like Deadfall and HL2 rp, but not SRP.

Khorn

Quote from: Lion on 14-04-2010
Khorn, the thing won't be ' lol i roll dice to 57 an u die ', it will have to be actually fully roleplayed as a permanent kill roleplay would.

It wouldn't be 15 lines of /me noms on your face and you're PKed, that'd be fucking ridiculous.

When I say Good Roleplay, I mean something that would earn a PK for the intended party. If the person(s) doing the PKing were just doing ' /me beats you down and shoots you ' or something similar to that, no dice.

I never said it be like 'Lol, I bite you, you die!' I have seen some good /roll related RP before, of course it can easily take a turn for the worse.
I just think this might drive new players away, among other things...

Also you still didn't answer my question. Why do you bring up the issue? Did someone complain that characters should die only once? Or are you just suggesting we change every thing?
As I said before, the main reason people bicker about killing in the server is because of what they loose when they die.Everyone gets annoyed after hours of saving up 5K or more for a good gun. Also the only complaints I heard about factions was about how Military or Monolith get a bit Trigger Happy and STK people. If you make killing permanent people will become more paranoid and probably avoid fights a lot more.

As you said, you wanted to RP like this, nothing stops you from making a new character when you die. But I would think if someone else doesn't like this idea, then they shouldn't be subjected to play like that.

Also what would happen to applications for factions/traders? If you needed to make a whole new character again, you would need to reapply to any factions each time you die.(If you care to be in a faction.)

I also don't see why NLR is bad, it allows people to fight and kill each other, and come back with the same character who was never killed in a fight. And if you really want to PK you can apply for it.

And another thing is about being robbed, a good amount of the time they end with dead loners, regardless of whatever the loner gave over.

I personally think doing this will take it way to far.

QuoteWhile I understand this rule COULD be abused, it should be up to an admins discretion to determine whether or not the kill was Deathmatching, or Good ole' fashioned quality roleplay. This would be the ONLY things the admins decide. If it's not Deathmatching, It's a perma-kill. If you get injured but bleed out before you can get healed, that's just too darn bad isn't it? Should have been prepared.

In another thread, I noticed one person complaining about stupid Mercs disobeying orders. With this rule in effect, when he had them executed for disobeying orders, they'd be perma killed. Their character deleted. No more stupid Mercs. This rule also applies to people who do RAMBO things in firefights, or just in general.

I read the first one as, players have to ask admins if they are PK. If that is right, then admins would become real busy deciding the outcome.
As for the second thing, you say PK characters should be deleted, so admins get extra work, player loose a flagged character. Now they have to reapply and wait a week(sometimes) to get flags back. Or for those that donated, they would just overall loose the flag.

Locke

The word?

No. This is what the PK applications are for.