"/me's" In General

Started by Assassinator, 04-11-2009

Assassinator

This is my personal opinion of how /me's should be oriented. If you wish to remark on something I have posted please do it in a polite and civilized manner.

No One Has "Lol-mind-reader"

I've noticed people (including admins) who make /me's such as, "**John Smith thinks about shooting the person but then decides not to." The problem with this sentence is that no one can tell your thoughts, and it is just meta-bait. (A chance for someone to meta-game.) If no one has a way of reading your thoughts, you don't need to openly express them in invisible text for all to read.

No One Knows Why, They Just See

Something else I have noticed is when people do an action such as sighing or frowning, they state the reason for it inside their /me. i. e. "**DUTY Soldier frowns because the Freedomer shot is friend." No one knows exactly why you are frowning, they can only guess why because of circumstances. If the person is thinking and frowns because of a memory but states the reason, it's a chance for someone else to meta-game and then DUTY decides to go mess with Freedom. (Possibility, I am only stating what could happen and I mean no direct intentions to any person or faction,  these are only examples.) To help demonstrate the feeling more specifically, gestures, body stance, etc, can be used to convey a mood. This allows the person to wonder why another is feeling in this way and perhaps ask so they can recount a story or create more roleplay.

You Can't Force Bullets

When you fire a weapon, you can only aim and pull the trigger. You cannot decide where it hits. I've seen /me's such as **Bandit fires his weapon, shooting the loner in the head." This could be considered power-gaming as it is up to the loner to finish the action. I know you may think, "It's a gun, of course it will hit where I aim." but it is still up the the other person on the end of the roleplay to decide as he may be moving quickly where as the bullet hits his chest instead of his head. A more proper /me would be, "**Bandit aims at the loner's head, pulling the trigger after steadying his aim." Or something along those lines, not forcing the bullets to hit a target.

I may add more later as I think I had at least one more but I must be off for now.

Lucidius

This thread = my thoughts 150%
* Lucidius is supposed to be descritping gestures, not what your mind thoughts.

+support due to faggotree
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Plunger

Agree with this completely, this goes along with my pet peeve of people doing something like this in the title, "Very Sexy | Duty" That's an opinion. You could look like complete shit to someone else.

Lucidius

Never seen that, normally see stuff like "bloody jacket, bandages" etc, stuff that's plainly visible.

What does annoy me is when people try to explain their personality.
* Lucidius is a nice guy and doesn't shoot so and so in the dick

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

Goose

* Lucidius is a nice guy and doesn't shoot so and so in the dick

lol nice i wish people would follow this i really ignore people that do
* Goose is thinking about betraying
ect ect......
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Assassinator

It's a small thing so if a moderator wants to merge it with something or whatever I don't mind. Just so people can actually READ this without it getting stuck at the bottom of the forums.

ISPYUDIE

Nice work Assass, one thing I would add that although you mostly aim guns and fire and then let the other guy decide if your holding someone at gunpoint (AKA the gun's touching against his head) Then it's quite impossible to dodge/jump out the way

Lucidius

Quote from: ISPYUDIE on 05-11-2009
Nice work Assass, one thing I would add that although you mostly aim guns and fire and then let the other guy decide if your holding someone at gunpoint (AKA the gun's touching against his head) Then it's quite impossible to dodge/jump out the way

Only idiots put guns directly too people unless they are like bound and unconcious.

If your holding some one up, you want to be out of arms reach and be able to see their entire body, so you can see if they try to do anything.

In that case they are unconcious, you'de have to get permission to CK them anyways, so your not accomplishing anything anyways.

tl;dr
L2RP

My Profile[/b][/size]

Assassinator

If the gun is at their head you just hold the rifle and side-step. Weapon's too long to move quickly. Which is why side-arms are actually great enless you're in warfare.

Dark Angel

Ha i win! =D I'm not doing sucha silly stuff!

Assassinator

Seriously, did you have to post that?

Chrono

Good post Assassinator. I still need to Improve my /me's alot...i am so newbie doing /me's.  :-\

Goose

Quote from: ||Cяنeװ|| ?Chrono? on 06-11-2009
Good post Assassinator. I still need to Improve my /me's alot...i am so newbie doing /me's.  :-\

Yes chrono yes you are xD
~"Victory isn't sweet, Victory is the absence of the taste of fear and stench of death"

Sickness

Agree with this a lot, especially with the last "Force Bullets" part.
Rusty - Returned to the Zone

Plunger

Quote from: SicKNeSS on 08-11-2009
*Cough* MattyK *Cough*

Locke

Quote from: Plunger on 08-11-2009
*Cough* MattyK *Cough*
* Locke uses his special epic monolith deagle to blow your head off

Griffen

|HGN|Griffen: Hey, kid.
|HGN|Griffen: Get off my lawn.
|HGN-CTS|Afromana: Hey kiddo, get of my work
|HGN|Griffen: Uhm, this is MY LAWN.
|HGN-CTS|Afromana: While I can do so that you can never play or use anything HGN related
|HGN-CTS|Afromana: Shoo
|HGN|Griffen: God damnit.

Madcombat

Why you guys +Support'ing?
You just need to do this and make sure others do it then support.
And I agree with this, you cant force a bullet, and I guess the reasons people use:
* Madcombat thinks about "Somthing".

It might just be to bring on some roleplay but kinda went wrong to begin with, never the less it is Meta-Baiting, so yeah, its good idea me think.

Lucidius

ALot of the time when people contemplate internally or think about a decision, it's rather apparent in their facial and body language.

Perhas:
* Lucidius screws his face up as he contemplates.

or something.

My Profile[/b][/size]

Assassinator

You may or may not need to add ´´contemplating´´ depending if you can portray the general idea in another fashion with eyes, etc, such as staring off into the distance.

Madcombat

Oh god, I lol'd.
Quote from: Lucidius on 11-11-2009
ALot of the time when people contemplate internally or think about a decision, it's rather apparent in their facial and body language.

Perhas:
* Lucidius screws his face up as he contemplates.

or something.

swacko

Well, not to flame anyone, but this is what a certain Combine did to me:

He comes into my room with his deagle raised, and he starts typing. "Then I do /Me raises his gun as the stalker comes into the room with his weapon raised:"
then he stops typing, and starts all over again, and it comes out "Skull fires his gun at the Freedomer" and then just pewpewpew's.

Anyhoo, think everyone should follow this, good guidelines to basic good /me's.

Plunger

Quote from: Locke on 08-11-2009
Quote from: Plunger on 08-11-2009
*Cough* MattyK *Cough*
* Locke uses his special epic monolith deagle to blow your head off
Exactly.

Dark Angel

**Does tripe ninja backflip subzero , scorpion , reptile and shiva combo and bans everyone!**

WIN >=D

Zero

**Ends the world with the spam of a billion n00bs**