WoW: LK - Cata - BC - Original

Started by Silver Knight, 06-03-2012

Silver Knight

I have reset the poll and removed cataclysm from the poll listings. We after careful testing and comments from users have decided that it is not suitable as a option for a roleplay server and as such will not be using it now.

Please revote for the remaining options.

WoW: WOTLK:

Cons:
Huge file space
Avalability either through torrent 16 gigs worth.
16 gigs storage needed.

Pros:
Races: Dranei\BloodElf
Death Knight Class
Adds Outlands\Noth.
Most torrented WoW version
WoW: Burning Crusade

Cons:
Not used much\less community backing in the WoW community.
Less worthy repacks to base a good server on.

Pros:
8 Gigs needed.
Fairly easily via svn\torrents\file parts.
Greater avaliablity of players able to join Sordayna.
Adds Outlands
Races: Dranei\BloodElf
The best balanced WoW expansion out there.
WoW: Classic

Cons:
Less races.
Less Classes.
Less Land (More than enough though).

Pros:
5 Gigs needed.
Easily hosted via svn\torrents\file parts.
Greatest avaliablity of players able to join Sordayna.

[spoiler]It has come to my attention to discuss where Sordayna is heading, for any server operator and for any user there are limitation to what we need and can accomplish, just because you have the capacity to have more does not mean others can also do the same.

The point being, the directive of Sordayna needs a clear direction that is right for the playerbase and as a functioning roleplay server.

Capacity - What players need to download (Custom - not current wow, so no blizzard downloader, probably through torrents)

Cataclysm - 28 Gigs storage needed to download.
Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a - 16 Gigs storage needed.
World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade (2.4.3) - 8 Gigs storage needed.
World of Warcraft 1.12.1 Classic - 5 Gigs Storage Needed.

Now as you can see this poses a problem for alot of people, including me. 24 Gigs storage for the semi-most up to date WoW which can only be downloaded via torrent or disc's (If you own them + manual patches)

Downloading such huge files presents both a major bandwidth and storage issue which is highly inefficent for a roleplay server that aims to use only part of the world. By that statement it is a roleplay server and for the most part only azeroth\kalimdor continents would be used otherwise you could walk forever and see not a single human player.

So, leaving it up to the community i will let you decide what we target for Sordayna but it will put alot of people off the bigger the filesize and the pro's of having a few extra races\classes and various minor content for a roleplay server isn't that great compared to alot of players would would avoid Sordayna Roleplay for the very reasons stated above.

WoW: Cata:

Cons:
Huge file space
Availabity either through torrent 22 gigs worth.
22 gigs storage needed.
Adds on huge amounts of land\continents that reduces roleplay overall.

Pros
Extra Races
Extra Classes
WoW: Classic

Cons:
Less races.
Less Classes.
Less Land (More than enough though).

Pros:
5 Gigs needed.
Easily hosted via svn\torrents\file parts.
Greater avaliablity of players able to join Sordayna.
Wraith of the Lich King\Burning Crusade are inbetween these two.[/spoiler]

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

KingArthur

My oppinion is we can recreate what we need in vanilla, bc, or wrath... BUT Cata just has so much more, without the recreation. My vote is cata, but i would happy with any.

Ragolution

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THIS THREAD?

We can't use WOTLK - Why? NO ONE WILL DOWNLOAD A CLIENT
We can't use TBC - Why? SEE ABOVE and TBC IS SHIT. Worgen Aside.
We can't use Vanilla - See above.

OH BUT PORTKINS WHY ARE WE USING CATA IF WE JUST HAVE TO DOWNLOAD A CLIENT ANYWAY

BECAUSE WITH CATA THERE IS AT LEAST A CHANCE THAT WE WILL, AT SOME POINT IN TIME, BE ABLE TO REDUCE THE DOWNLOAD TO JUST A SIMPLE .EXE FILE LIKE WAS USED FOR THE LAST 5 REVISIONS OF WOW.

Vortigoat

WoW died  with the Lich king :( I voted for WOTLK

RanmaChan

Quote from: Vortigoat on 06-03-2012
WoW died  with the Lich king :( I voted for WOTLK
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

Zstan

If the server is anything less than Cataclysm, I will not get on the server.
Cataclysm brought new content. What's wrong with that?

Ragolution

Quote from: Zstan on 06-03-2012

Silver Knight

22 Gigs of content is needed to use Cata.

Zstan

Quote from: Last.Exile on 06-03-2012

22 Gigs of content is needed to use Cata.

I could fit WoW on my Ipod, lol.

Steven :D

Paintcheck

20 gb of shit is a lot and I hate torrents.

* Paintcheck waits patiently for an exe to be made that is smaller and not huge.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Paintcheck on 06-03-2012
20 gb of shit is a lot and I hate torrents.

* Paintcheck waits patiently for an exe to be made that is smaller and not huge.

The 22 gigs is as small as it gets, it's a repack, it's actually supposed to be 28 gigs.

Paintcheck

Zstan

My 4.0.6 folder is only 18 gigs.

Yes, it runs fine. I've tested it.

Ragolution

My 4.0.6 folder is only 18 gigs.

Yes, it runs fine. I've tested it.

The reason I say "WAIT FOR THE EXE" is for people who currently have a WoW Client installed.
I'm talking an EXE that allows people with the up-to-date client to play on Sordanya.

Dungeon_Lord

*Is patient and has up to date client so will wait*
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

ThePirateMan

I voted WOTLK. Because Cataclysm is fucked up and ugly in lore and environments. Plus they also got rid the old empty plains and places in the rough corners of the world that were excellent for making custom-made areas.

Although Original or BC would make the same difference.

Pink!

Vanilla!

Less races isn't a con, at all!

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Silver Knight

I have reset the poll and removed cataclysm from the poll listings. We after careful testing and comments from users have decided that it is not suitable as a option for a roleplay server and as such will not be using it now.

Please revote for the remaining options.

Chrono

I will go with Wrath of the lich king just because, i liked playing it.

Ragolution

KingArthur

Would people play more/play if we unlocked horde? I know most wanted it. Please post if you have anything to say on the matter.

Zstan

The only people that were on was KingArthur and I, neither of us said the server was unplayable, we just discovered that the server crashed when we teleported around like madmen.
We sat on our boat for hours and the server was stable apart from the lag once every hour for maybe 10 seconds, at the most. (wow it's fucking nothing.)
The server is totally playable.

Chrono

Still if we change from Cata to LK or Original it would mean alot more people would play since they wouldn't need to download 18-28gb just to play...

Paintcheck

Unless they already dl'd the fucking shit because they were told that that was what we'd be using (aka me).