Official HGN World of Warcraft Sordanya Discussion Thread

Started by Ragolution, 15-02-2012

Lent23

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 16-02-2012
Quote from: Plunger on 16-02-2012
Quote from: Lent23 on 16-02-2012
Quote from: KingArthur on 16-02-2012
Again I'm going to state, the instant level 85 thing makes the RP stale really quick since everyone is god tier immediately, what happened on one of the previous ones was everyone was locked in at a certain level, like 5, or 10, and would RP as actually progressing from a nobody to a somebody, instead of everyone getting fireballmeteoritedeathzap when you first join. Part of the fun of RP'ing with Paintcheck, and Zombiehunter in TOR is going through the raids, etc, since you passive the way through with no enemy respawns, and everyone works together.

Well if UNIVERSALLY, everyone progressed from low levels, it would be cool to do it together.
Have everybody join the server at level 55 and have minimal leveling to do, and we're all represented as "Hero classes" like the Death Knight of WotLK, and we all level together.
it's got to be an early level like 5 or 10 so people actually develop from soldiers, farmers to heros.

Sense you will have access to all of the available items, why not, instead of being a hero because you're automatically 85, just RP it out? Fights will be emoted anyways. I don't see the point in starting certain players at a lower level just to enforce RP. People can be banned if they make it unrealistic by WoW's standards.
Level tier applications. To get to the next higher level, you have to apply for a new 'tier' of ten or twenty levels. After 'graduating' you can be, you know, part of the new group.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

KingArthur

Again I'm going to state, the instant level 85 thing makes the RP stale really quick since everyone is god tier immediately, what happened on one of the previous ones was everyone was locked in at a certain level, like 5, or 10, and would RP as actually progressing from a nobody to a somebody, instead of everyone getting fireballmeteoritedeathzap when you first join. Part of the fun of RP'ing with Paintcheck, and Zombiehunter in TOR is going through the raids, etc, since you passive the way through with no enemy respawns, and everyone works together.

Well if UNIVERSALLY, everyone progressed from low levels, it would be cool to do it together.
Have everybody join the server at level 55 and have minimal leveling to do, and we're all represented as "Hero classes" like the Death Knight of WotLK, and we all level together.
it's got to be an early level like 5 or 10 so people actually develop from soldiers, farmers to heros.

Sense you will have access to all of the available items, why not, instead of being a hero because you're automatically 85, just RP it out? Fights will be emoted anyways. I don't see the point in starting certain players at a lower level just to enforce RP. People can be banned if they make it unrealistic by WoW's standards.
I hope people dont fight -eachother- thats not the point of having a world full of NPCs that dont give a fuck if they die. Well if you -universally- make it so, you start level 5, and can not level past that, till next week you bump it to 10, next week 15
ect.
You know? Focus on RP instead of leveling. People can roleplay during that time, killing things, exploring, before the areas are stagnant, and they move on.

Plunger

Why are you guys neglecting all world interaction and saying you'll only fight each other.

Maxi96203

Why are you guys neglecting all world interaction and saying you'll only fight each other.

It IS possible to bump up the NPCs to our level as well, but it gets annoying as hell when you run away from hostile NPCs.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Ragolution

QuoteThe stuff that got posted while I was driving home

You guys are totally overthinking this.

The thing people need to get through their head is that Level =/= Power/Whatever
As I said this whole thing relies on circumventing most of the WoW mechanics and if you go right down to it, yeah most of the RP will be between players but there will always be events and such and there's especially nothing to stop you from going out to hunt a kobold or somesuch creature.

The other thing you guys have to deal with is that we need some heroes.

SRP has literally zero heroes. No one is remarkable.
And while that's, you know, unique in its own way etc etc special snowflakes, I prefer scenarios/RP that has people that are better than others.

KingArthur

Well, Humble beginnings? Maybe you could start the server with everyone lower, RPing around 20, weaker for a bit. Then buff people up to 40 next week, to get people into the flow of things. Instead of everyone just appearing out of no where with no -small- beginning RP. Personally I would enjoy being a newb for bit, and playing the part you know?

Ragolution

Well, Humble beginnings? Maybe you could start the server with everyone lower, RPing around 20, weaker for a bit. Then buff people up to 40 next week, to get people into the flow of things. Instead of everyone just appearing out of no where with no -small- beginning RP. Personally I would enjoy being a newb for bit, and playing the part you know?

I like the general idea except what if someone else comes along?

The best idea I have is a periodic "RP" bequeathment system.

Sorta like EXP paychecks?

But that runs into the same issue as every system similar to it.
Idlers, AFKers, etc. People who are just goofing off-
and before you suggest "OMGF PORTYKINS REKNOWN"

NO NO NO NO NO NO ON NO NO NO NO

Prologue's Renown was/is THE shittiest system.

Lent23

Tier system = levels run by application that represent how 'big' you can be. Make your name and people who run applications will watch all characters progress.
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."

Plunger

Quote from: Ragolution on 16-02-2012

the problem is that your idea has everyone being able to solo instances, without needing to RP it with a group.

Ragolution

the problem is that your idea has everyone being able to solo instances, without needing to RP it with a group.

Fair point.

KingArthur

Fair point.
whats the point of soloing instances? They are for RP, mostly, if everyone's going to have uber gear and be 85.

Maxi96203

Why not just bar the player from doing instances? They create that heroism feel that not everyone wants. Just keep it in-world. In game administrators making events and such instead of leaving it to the instances, most private server's instances don't cooperate anyways, just keep players from doing them.

Ragolution

Why not just bar the player from doing instances? They create that heroism feel that not everyone wants. Just keep it in-world. In game administrators making events and such instead of leaving it to the instances, most private server's instances don't cooperate anyways, just keep players from doing them.

This.

Make it so instances are event only.

Plunger

So basically the only thing that's allowed from WoW are the models, and world? Again I'll ask, why not do a forum RP if your removing every feature.

Ragolution

What's the difference between typing /emote swings their sword, and typing out an emote on the forum, besides the forum one being more detailed.

None except forum emotes aren't inherently better, it's all dictated by the skill of the roleplayer.
Implying that WoW emotes are of lower quality is just like me implying Forum RP is slow.
(It isn't necessarily true.)

I'm trying to show you that you need to allow more of the features of WoW instead of restricting everything.

Then you're misunderstanding what I'm doing.
Players can RP what they want but we're not letting them change the past/inherent/existing WoW Lore.
Lore is a guideline to follow into the future not something people can freely change.

Me, Paint, and Zombie can attest that even a vanilla RP server can have great RP with leveling, and instances.

Give that a try and we'll reconvene in two weeks. We'll compare populations and see who's doing better.
Trust me, I've done this before.
I'm taking everyone's input but you're pretty much not listening, Plunger.

KingArthur

I agree we have to have a LITTLE starting point, i am sure no one here will feel cheated, if later on some one joins and gets 85 instantly.

Ragolution

Tier system = levels run by application that represent how 'big' you can be. Make your name and people who run applications will watch all characters progress.

I've decided I like this idea and will be tweaking it to be more fluid/acceptable.

Maxi96203

Is there an estimated time until the server gets up/goes into beta testing?

Ragolution

Is there an estimated time until the server gets up/goes into beta testing?

Next tuesday is the ETA.
I'm still waiting for Silver to create some goddamn forum subsections and give me SQL access.

Dungeon_Lord

But isn't the point of being 85 so you can rp as anything you wish from a peasant to a mystic wizard. I believe if you're actually going to rp then you shouldn't care if you start at level 85. Also the storyline can't be for everyone that they start weak and grow strong.
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Ragolution

Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 16-02-2012
But isn't the point of being 85 so you can rp as anything you wish from a peasant to a mystic wizard. I believe if you're actually going to rp then you shouldn't care if you start at level 85. Also the storyline can't be for everyone that they start weak and grow strong.

This guy has some good opnions.

Dungeon_Lord

I find the most surprising difference between most servers and forums I've joined that are roleplayed based is the fact that the people here focus on things about the game instead of the roleplay were trying to create using the game...
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Lent23

Leveling doesn't represent how strong your character is the way it does in the actual World of Warcraft, it shows how long you've played, how much you've built up your character, and your story, how many tiers you've traveled up in the world, how famous you are in Azeroth.

KingArthur

Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 17-02-2012
I find the most surprising difference between most servers and forums I've joined that are roleplayed based is the fact that the people here focus on things about the game instead of the roleplay were trying to create using the game...
I agree, but limiting people to fighting lower tier things, building up a small back story (Not leveling) would work better imo, then INSTANT LEVEL 85 *pops into tavern* HALLO lets slay a dragon! instead of hey lets take care of those bandits outside of the city

Ragolution

Quote from: KingArthur on 17-02-2012
Quote from: Dungeon_Lord on 17-02-2012
I agree, but limiting people to fighting lower tier things, building up a small back story (Not leveling) would work better imo, then INSTANT LEVEL 85 *pops into tavern* HALLO lets slay a dragon! instead of hey lets take care of those bandits outside of the city

Like I said, I'd say we should believe in the maturity of HGN to play characters that aren't mind-numbingly OP, but who the fuck am I kidding?