Official HGN World of Warcraft Sordanya Discussion Thread

Started by Ragolution, 15-02-2012

Dungeon_Lord

When the hell did I say orcs weren't spiritual...
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Pink!

Serious request:

Level 1 start. No way to apply to level up further. No gear handouts. No epic handouts.

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Ragolution

Quote from: Pink! on 27-02-2012
Serious request:

Level 1 start. No way to apply to level up further. No gear handouts. No epic handouts.

Talk to me on steam so I can tell you how bad this idea is.

Pink!

Easiest way to solve problems, though.

also, world pvp.

KingArthur

Quote from: Pink! on 28-02-2012

also, world pvp.
I thought this was rp, not mmo. People shouldnt be concerned with leveling, they should be enjoying roleplay. Also the only reason you want world pvp is so you can gank as a rougw. Seriously, rp not mmo. Go play real wow if you wana level and gank

Ragolution

Quote from: KingArthur on 28-02-2012

also, world pvp.
I thought this was rp, not mmo. People shouldnt be concerned with leveling, they should be enjoying roleplay. Also the only reason you want world pvp is so you can gank as a rougw. Seriously, rp not mmo. Go play real wow if you wana level and gank

This.

Pink!

Quote from: KingArthur on 28-02-2012

also, world pvp.

I'll dismantle your argument slowly. The first mistake you've made is assuming that leveling, dueling, combat and conflict cannot exist alongside each other. This is quite possibly one of the silliest arguments I've heard, considering that even traditional WoW roleplaying servers follow the same ruleset, but I'll still dismantle it. They're really not. It's quite common for people flagged for PvP, on some servers, to actually roleplay with each other before the conflict; considering you also have the ability to set rules, why not make it one? Questing becomes a lot less of a grind when it's done in character with a bunch of friends, as well. I still remember my roleplay run of Naxxramas with my Human Paladin. Admittedly, typing while being beaten on doesn't always work, but it can.

Also, no, the only reason I want world PvP is not so I can gank as a rogue, but to add a flair of conflict to the world. This is WoW. The Forsaken are undead, and any human would kill them on sight; Orcs and Trolls are not going to let a wandering Dwarf get away with anything. If two races meet up, and one wants to attack the other, combat should always be an option. I shouldn't have to hope that they'll accept my /duel request, as it's unrealistic, and breaks the tone of roleplay.

This honestly has nothing to do with 'real WoW' - a game I haven't played since late 2008. It's got to do with what's fun. Moon Guard was kind of awesome, but it would've been moreso if I could have beaten in that night elf who claimed to be the daughter of Arthas. There was an immense amount of respect, as well. That 85 with Epic gear? Characters would respect him, purely because they knew that he'd worked for it. Perhaps he might not be the best roleplayer, but when he claims to be one of the toughest Warriors this side of Stormwind, you'll be damned sure that level ten agrees with you.

Too long, didn't read? The traditional WoW setup of grinding gives reward for work. While it's easy to say your character is tough and nigh-invincible with a complicated backstory, it takes cajones to make them one.

EDIT: Oh, and if you think this is about wanting victory, you're not entirely right. Have you seen Crussaria? People will always try to win in freeform combat.

Paintcheck

People will always try to win every kind of fight regardless of what server it's on but saying "Making leveling will fix that" is as naive as saying "Making everything freeform will work". There needs to be a balance or else we will have STALKER syndrome of the players with no lives and invincible exoskeletons beating up on everyone else without fear. That's fucking stupid. Being able to spend enormous amounts of time on a server should not be the only requirement for conflict resolution. That's why I never can play MMOs because I don't have the time or interest to spend hundreds of hours killing the same things over and over and over again just to see the little number next to my name go up. I would be interested in roleplaying with people in the same setting but with the MMO mechanics at the forefront there won't be RP. At least not at the level some of us (aka ME) hope for.

WoW also doesn't give reward for work, it gives reward for time. There's no way to "work smarter" in WoW or be skilled and level faster because enemies give a set value of EXP per kill. Having enough free time to farm enemies all day should not automatically make one the most epic person in the server.

Syndraell

Quote from: Paintcheck on 28-02-2012
People will always try to win every kind of fight regardless of what server it's on but saying "Making leveling will fix that" is as naive as saying "Making everything freeform will work". There needs to be a balance or else we will have STALKER syndrome of the players with no lives and invincible exoskeletons beating up on everyone else without fear. That's fucking stupid. Being able to spend enormous amounts of time on a server should not be the only requirement for conflict resolution. That's why I never can play MMOs because I don't have the time or interest to spend hundreds of hours killing the same things over and over and over again just to see the little number next to my name go up. I would be interested in roleplaying with people in the same setting but with the MMO mechanics at the forefront there won't be RP. At least not at the level some of us (aka ME) hope for.

WoW also doesn't give reward for work, it gives reward for time. There's no way to "work smarter" in WoW or be skilled and level faster because enemies give a set value of EXP per kill. Having enough free time to farm enemies all day should not automatically make one the most epic person in the server.

So you're saying it should be skill based, as in if you're better at doing a certain thing, you can kick everyone else's ass?

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Paintcheck

Yeah like have a specialty or something along those lines. Rag said combat would be emote-based already in conversation over sf so that basically removes the fear of high level players being jerks because they are automatically better at everything. The remaining question was in regards to deciding how to handle who wins with who wins when using emotes

KingArthur

Quote from: Paintcheck on 02-03-2012
Yeah like have a specialty or something along those lines. Rag said combat would be emote-based already in conversation over sf so that basically removes the fear of high level players being jerks because they are automatically better at everything. The remaining question was in regards to deciding how to handle who wins with who wins when using emotes
Player jugment, and if they cant come to common ground rolls. but i would assume, and hope, most combat will be done vs npcs. GMs i belive can rake direct control of any npc and make it do what they want. So the things that loose can be NPCs that dont mind instead of whiney people who refuse to loose.

deluxulous

Quote from: KingArthur on 02-03-2012
GMs i belive can rake direct control of any npc and make it do what they want.

Correct. And it is the best command EVER to fuck with people

Ragolution

Quote from: PistolKid on 03-03-2012

Added to GM blacklist.

jaik

Quote from: Ragolution on 03-03-2012
Quote from: PistolKid on 03-03-2012

Added to GM blacklist.

this is why you can't have nice things
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway