Elf Applications - Opinions?

Started by Pink!, 29-02-2012

Pink!

Wait, what?

Night Elves and Blood Elves have some of the most interesting, yet complicated Lore around, and the kind that makes them incredibly difficult to roleplay. It's for this reason that - shock, horror - I'm considering making them require an application.

Opinions?

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Ragolution

No me gusta.

You just further limit people from using races.

Maxi96203

Night Elves and Blood Elf lore is not complicated at all. It's quite straight forward and understandable, really.

Why limit the players further?
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

ThePirateMan

I'm on the fence about it, as I've seen mostly terrible fucking RP involving elves over the days (lolz, i r human wid long ears an' hot smoky body or just the most extreme stereotype of their kind). But putting them on application could be seen as too restrictive.

I don't know about night/blood elves, but High Elves should definitely be application-required.

Ragolution

Quote from: ThePirateMan on 29-02-2012
High Elves should definitely be application-required.

They already are.

Pink!

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 29-02-2012
Night Elves and Blood Elf lore is not complicated at all. It's quite straight forward and understandable, really.

Firstly, Night Elves are xenophobic, to the hilt. Night Elves shouldn't be 'hanging around' human settlements; in fact, a night elf should be a rarity. They might bepart of the Alliance, but they're not social ones. Blood Elves are typically haughty, proud, born from a ruined civilization, and addicted to magic, let's not forget. They also hate the Horde, despite being allied with it.

But, more importantly, people play Elves. The people who'll play Forsaken, Draenei, or Gnomes are the people who'll know how to portray them right; given the opportunity, however, people always gravitate to Elves. And they FUCK IT UP. I don't intend to be harsh about it, but if they're restricted, it means they can be portrayed. Properly.

Maxi96203

Quote from: Pink! on 29-02-2012
Quote from: Maxi96203 on 29-02-2012

Firstly, Night Elves are xenophobic, to the hilt. Night Elves shouldn't be 'hanging around' human settlements; in fact, a night elf should be a rarity. They might bepart of the Alliance, but they're not social ones. Blood Elves are typically haughty, proud, born from a ruined civilization, and addicted to magic, let's not forget.

Xenophobic "to the hilt" characters are easy as hell. I understand that Night Elves wouldn't be hanging around with other races unless they needed it, I understand that.

The Sunwell has been rekindled and the Blood Elves are progressing to a cure for their magic addiction, proud, ruined civilization characters are easy as hell as well.

Their lore is not complicated, their personalities are not complicated, they are the most paper-thin races in WoW.

Pink!

Maxi96203

It's a Loremaster's job to keep Lore and understand it better than anyone else, and explain it to them if asked to or if it's majorly needed.

That's why we're LORE MASTERS.

I think anyone can understand easily that the Blood Elves are magic addicted shells of their former selves, much more ruthless, selfish, backstabbing and prideful because of it.

Their personalities are easy in some aspects, besides their love-hate bond with the Forsaken due to being damned under Arthas. That's a bit complicated but not too much.

EDIT: I'm not saying people don't fuck it up, I'm just saying that you shouldn't limit them. TEACH not RESTRICT.

Ragolution

LORE RAP BATTLE.

LORE RAP BATTLE.

LORE
FUCKING
RAP BATTLE.

Pink!

Maxi, what yo problem?
I call 'em like I see 'em.
Want you freedom? That's good.
But that isn't the way it works in mah hood.
You can teach, but not always change.
If they don't want to do it, they rage.
And you're shutting the gate
after the horse is gone. don't hate.

Basically, it's easier to say, "Make sure you do this right," rather than going around and correcting everyone who might do it wrong.

Ragolution

Ooooohhh snap.

That was a pretty sick rhyme.

Can you make a comeback to that?

Maxi96203

Yo, Pink.
Your rhymes are so weak.
Sounds like my grandmother spit them last week.
Change is what I seek
embrace it before you peak.
Restricting is what you do?
Man that just ain't coo'

True, you have a point there, but I really don't like the idea of applying to play a specific race

(i'm obviously the best white rapper)

Ragolution

Whoever wins this rap-off gets my official "Badass Rapmaster" medal.
And a free pick of one thing off the Donator list.

RanmaChan

Wow, those were both actually pretty good rap battles... More please!
I know my opinion might not mean anything, but I think that Maxi's path is more fitting.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

Pink!

Don't shirk your jobs and attack the rules, make them work!
Think about it! Maybe they can be reworked. You're not some clerk.
I've got the community if I need someone to go beserk.

I'm hard-pressed
to do my best
even if you've guessed
I'm obsessed.

We needed to restrict.
Else elves'll be the only race picked:
By the noobs, the droogs.
The scum of the intertubes
who've never known a pair of boobs.

I've got no doubt you could play a great Night Elf, yourself.

That's not the issue. Yes, the Lore's simple, that's true.
But the problem that'll brew is when the server debuts.

People will play Sin'dorei. They might as well say goodbye
when they connect, aye? Quel'thelas isn't nearby
the Barrens, and you can't deny
They'll rock up to play even if a blood elf in the barrens is something you'd never come by.
We need to stop this. That's why we make them apply.

Things that also rhyme but I never used: Draenei; nigh, deny.

Maxi96203

Make them work?
What about our work.
I'm not hard pressed to be some lazy jerk.

Sure, being a wiz at lore's good.
Not so good if you don't put your mind to use.
Try not to commit abuse of your position.
Put yourself to use, not to rest.
Try to be the best, the very best.
The most well versed, above the rest.

It's my job to help the new guys
I'll talk to them if they turn out to be worthy of the deny.
I refuse to turn a blind eye
to those who truly do try.

Noobs, the droogs?
Scum of the intertubes?
That's crude, a terrible generalization
Perhaps you need the revelation that every person playing
isn't a person worth flaying.

Elves under the wrong moon?
Place 'em in Silvermoon.
Don't put them out of business before they get their time to shine
give them time to prove themselves.
Perhaps they all won't be grime.

Pink!

that rhyming is terrible

Ragolution

Maxi96203

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-03-2012
Quote from: Pink! on 01-03-2012
that rhyming is terrible

She's right dog.

MEH. I came to do lore n' shit not rap.

(which I obviously can't do.)

KingArthur

If you bitch about lore too much you'll drive people away. Lets not forget why people are playing, for rp and to have fun. I personally think horde rp is going to be.worst because all races besides orcs , trolls, and goblins have something to hate each other about.

Tauren's leader was killed by the orc leader and distrust the trolls due to them just leaving voodoo and cannibalism.
Undead fucking rape/hate everything
Blood elves think zay r zee master race (Stuck up)
Orcs with their new leader care only about orcs
Goblins.... Really?
Trolls HEY MAN WHAT BE HAPPENIN OVA HERE

Gandalf vs Dumbledore. Epic Rap Battles of History #11

Paintcheck

Quote from: KingArthur on 01-03-2012
If you bitch about lore too much you'll drive people away. Lets not forget why people are playing, for rp and to have fun. I personally think horde rp is going to be.worst because all races besides orcs , trolls, and goblins have something to hate each other about.

Tauren's leader was killed by the orc leader and distrust the trolls due to them just leaving voodoo and cannibalism.
Goblins.... Really?

We should have made a poll about what races people would be likely to play as since if the only reason horde won was because people like blood elves then there are going to be a bunch of unhappy people. If that's the case Horde might have been a bad choice.

And lots of natural conflict is a good thing. Means admins don't need to micromanage events as much

KingArthur

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-03-2012
Quote from: KingArthur on 01-03-2012

Goblins.... Really?

We should have made a poll about what races people would be likely to play as since if the only reason horde won was because people like blood elves then there are going to be a bunch of unhappy people. If that's the case Horde might have been a bad choice.

And lots of natural conflict is a good thing. Means admins don't need to micromanage events as much
we had that, most people were humans, nightelves, and other allienes races, too late now though

Pink!

Quote from: KingArthur on 01-03-2012Tauren's leader was killed by the orc leader and distrust the trolls due to them just leaving voodoo and cannibalism.
Goblins.... Really?

Taurens are one of the more spiritual people of Azeroth. They may have lost their leader, but they remain part of the Horde because of the Alliance they forged so long ago; this conflict makes them interesting. The Undead aren't Undead, they're Forsaken, the free-willed remnants of Arthas' army. They're actually very close with the Blood Elves, and helped them join the Alliance; and while they don't like the Horde, they're part of it because they're an invaluable addition, and they need the extra forced to protect themselves. They're also hated and mistrusted even more after WoTLK, and trying to prove their potential. Blood Elves are stuck-up. In fact, it's the most vital part of their characterization; they'd rarely deign to associate with the other races, but they have to to survive. Orcs aren't really that different, to be honest, and Trolls have some of the cooler lore - their leader, Vol'jin, has actually exiled his tribe from the majority of the Trolls in a dispute.

In the Alliance? Humans are whiners, but invaluable grunts. Gnomes really only care about Gnomeregan and what was lost - and they're making progress towards it - but beyond that, they've never been particularly involved in the Alliance, have they? Dwarves are probably one of the least Lore-filled races, beyond the War of the Three Hammers, and their reasons for fighting are tossed in with the humans. Night Elves have some interesting potential, though, considering the vast differences between them and the rest of the Alliance. And Draenei are loltastic.