Philosophical discussion, GO.

Started by Spades_Neil, 19-04-2012

Plunger

Quote from: Madcombat on 20-04-2012
So ugh, what I said right?

No, you just stupidly said, "He was saying the ending of mass effect 3 was bad.", and please stop putting in all the stupid pictures with your posts.

Madcombat

So, we are not entitled to share our opinions and debate on a serious debates thread.  We also arnt allowed to state what we interpret from a post because its not what you interpret (Although they are practically the same.)  Mhm, sounds legit.

Anyway, Spades come at me Bro, try and right fully debate why my understanding of the meaning of life must be wrong or have holes in.  I await you! 

Plunger

So, we are not entitled to share our opinions and debate on a serious debates thread.  We also arnt allowed to state what we interpret from a post because its not what you interpret (Although they are practically the same.)  Mhm, sounds legit.

Anyway, Spades come at me Bro, try and right fully debate why my understanding of the meaning of life must be wrong or have holes in.  I await you! 
You two didn't actually try to interpret it, you just said he was saying the ending of ME3 was bad (He wasn't.), and Spades said he needs to stop wasting life on games. Those weren't interpretations in the slightest.

Spades_Neil

Maybe the reason I misinterpreted the video game reference is because I don't play that video game?

lolKieck

Quote from: Plunger on 20-04-2012

You two didn't actually try to interpret it, you just said he was saying the ending of ME3 was bad (He wasn't.), and Spades said he needs to stop wasting life on games. Those weren't interpretations in the slightest.
The irony is that Spades is actually a Fallout Supervisor.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Spades_Neil

Quote from: lolKieck on 20-04-2012
Quote from: Plunger on 20-04-2012

The irony is that Spades is actually a Fallout Supervisor.

Remember I'm playing devil's advocate. If I were serious about telling you to not waste life on video games, I'd be a hypocrite at its finest. :P

jaik

Philosophy quickly ends up this way - everybody starts flaming each other.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

lolKieck

Quote from: Jake on 20-04-2012
/thread
See how Sophocles Socrates ended up.
Bloody Antigone.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Spades_Neil

That's what happens when fools attempt to question the ways of the world, unfortunately. When they disagree, they start slinging insults. What of you though Jake? What is your take on the meaning of life? I've known you to be one of the more thoughtful individuals in HGN. Perhaps you'd have an intelligent response to this thread.

nKe

The meaning of life is to make it through alive.
Go and figure.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Nik3 on 20-04-2012
Go and figure.

Then what of the martyrs in the world? Those who give their lives to help others.

jaik

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 20-04-2012

That's what happens when fools attempt to question the ways of the world, unfortunately. When they disagree, they start slinging insults. What of you though Jake? What is your take on the meaning of life? I've known you to be one of the more thoughtful individuals in HGN. Perhaps you'd have an intelligent response to this thread.

Actually, I had the very first reply probably a few minutes after you posted the thread. I decided to back down and remove it however because of what you can see happening right now.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Lucky Pig

Go and figure.

Then what of the martyrs in the world? Those who give their lives to help others.
They have obviously misread the instructions.

I really think there is no definate "meaning" for life. One will simply do what one wishes to do with his life.

Madcombat

Quoteit's whatever motives you to live, depends solely on parenting and development of the person as a child.
-Jake

Its true.

nKe

Go and figure.

It is the path they have chosen and their life was ment to end to their actions.

Khorn

Like I said for own response, those unable or unwilling  to bear offsrping are mutations.

Those that attempt to preserve them are either blinded by the byproducts of life, or are simple trying to show superiority above others that can't preserve others.

Again, byproducts and mutations. Deviations from the goal.

Das_Uberman

Quote from: Khorn on 20-04-2012
Like I said for own response, those unable or unwilling  to bear offsrping are mutations.

Those that attempt to preserve them are either blinded by the byproducts of life, or are simple trying to show superiority above others that can't preserve others.

Again, byproducts and mutations. Deviations from the goal.

You're making the assumption life itself has a goal, or a greater purpose. Reproduction is a life process, not a life goal. To speak of the meaning of life is not questioning what the goals of organisms are. It questions the very meaning of the idea of life. It asks why life even exists, not what life forms are driven to do. To understand why life is, we first must gain a total understanding of what life is. Sure we have a pretty good understanding of what life on our planet is, but there is a great possibility that there are completely different, even contrary forms of life. "Unlife" if you will. It is entirely possible that forms of "unlife" exist. Things that couldn't, or things that shouldn't be alive by our definitions.

I hate to reference television, but the "Cylons" form the television series "Battlestar Galactica" are a prime example of life that could exist outside our definition. Despite the fact that they are made in such a different way, they are so similar that they could be considered alive, but at the same time, are considered machines. It's quite possible that there are factual creatures that exist in our universe similar to the fictional "Cylons". We see the idea of "unlife" all the time in today's culture. Examples of "unlife" like vampires, or Frankenstein's monster. Creatures that are not considered alive by human standards, but still exist in an almost identical fashion of what we consider life to be. They are not alive in the human sense, yet they cannot be considered dead. So are they alive, or are they something else? It is entirely possible that different forms of life exist in a manner that is entirely alien to the human understanding. Another example in culture is the Transformers, non biological yet their nature is almost identical to humans. They can die, they feel pain, yet, they are excluded from the definition of life. This is all theoretical of course, but in the infinite vastness of the universe it is not only possible, but likely that such things exist.

The main point I'm trying to make is that as of our position right now, human kind is in no position to discover the meaning of life. Just as we cannot achieve perfection, life will remain a mystery for us for centuries to come. We may only learn the truth after we have become more than we are now. Whether is be evolution, or apotheosis, human kind will have to advance before we can find the answers.

There's a great big world out there, and we can make what we want of it. Find your own answers.

Khorn

When I say goal, I don't mean the goal for life.

Its just what we are here to do.

HitMan5523

*Cough*
Life has no meaning. It's just here. Did I blow your mind?
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

Spades_Neil

Quote from: HitMan5523 on 20-04-2012
*Cough*

If life has no meaning then why bother living at all? :P

Gonztah

We can give life a meaning if we want to but it's not mandatory.

Plunger

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 21-04-2012
Quote from: HitMan5523 on 20-04-2012
*Cough*

If life has no meaning then why bother living at all? :P
Stop encouraging members to commit suicide.

I said quit trolling the thread. Instead you just come back and edit the post back again. Enjoy your ban.

Spades_Neil

Going to just quote some folks who did all the thinking before I showed up to reply. These are just some responses I liked.

Quote from: Gonztah on 21-04-2012
We can give life a meaning if we want to but it's not mandatory.

Quote from: Lucky Piig on 20-04-2012
I really think there is no definate "meaning" for life. One will simply do what one wishes to do with his life.

Corocan

I believe the meaning of life is to find a way so that we may mutually exist. Human nature is defiant. That's why we're evil by human nature, too. We're told that the meaning to life cannot be answered, so we search for our existence even when we're told "It cannot be done" and yet, we do it. A never ending struggle to discover who we are and why we exist. I believe the meaning of life is evil. It's something that we shouldn't understand, but who am I to convert an entire species nature?

Khorn

Honestly, the last thing I would do is ask serious questions to kids that are most likely at the point in time, where they think they know the answer to everything.

You know, middle/high school times.
College for late bloomers.

Just saying.